Eddie Vedder on Deadliest Catch!

Comments

• MASMAS Posts: 630
    So the way this works is PJ sells the song to the Discovery channel? Is that a fact, and if so how much money do they get? Could they have just given them the rights to use the song?
  • stranger34 wrote:
    pretty sad that a song written for Chris McCandless gets sold out.

or that the listed earth-first - vegetarian singer is selling out to the deadliest catch.

Gotta love Pearl Jam circa 2010

yes. a song written for an ignorant spoiled brat that killed himself should really have a high standard applied to it. that kid was stupid. plain and simple. it's unfortunate when anyone dies, but i have little to no sympathy for chris.
  • MAS wrote:
    So the way this works is PJ sells the song to the Discovery channel? Is that a fact, and if so how much money do they get? Could they have just given them the rights to use the song?

the musical director of the show would have approached the publishing company that ed uses to get permission (and to pay) to use the song. and considering it sounds like the original master copy of the song..i'm sure it wasn't cheap.
  • C'mon, can't we all get along ?

Let's listen to Pearl Jam and watch the Deadliest Catch !
    We'll have fish-sticks and I'll bring the tartar sauce.

Someone bring the Kleenex and we'll all have a big cry for Captain Phil !
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    C'mon, can't we all get along ?

Let's listen to Pearl Jam and watch the Deadliest Catch !

Someone bring the Kleenex and we'll all have a big cry for Captain Phil !

That's the spirit!! I'll even bring the crabs! :P
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    stranger34 wrote:

or that the listed earth-first - vegetarian singer is selling out to the deadliest catch.

yes. a song written for an ignorant spoiled brat that killed himself should really have a high standard applied to it. that kid was stupid. plain and simple. it's unfortunate when anyone dies, but i have little to no sympathy for chris.

unfortunately these kids see chris as someone they want to be ... if they ever get out of mom's basement ;)
  • stranger34 wrote:

unfortunately these kids see chris as someone they want to be ... if they ever get out of mom's basement ;)

something which i will never understand. i didn't much care for the movie since it tried to portray him as a sage like hero. he was stupid and selfish.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    stranger34 wrote:

I wouldn't call him stupid or spoiled. He went and did what he wanted to do with his life.....is that selfish???? And I am sure he would not be looking for anyone's sympathy.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    Lizard wrote:
    I wouldn't call him stupid or spoiled. He went and did what he wanted to do with his life.....is that selfish???? And I am sure he would not be looking for anyone's sympathy.

pretty sure he could have avoided his fate if he paid a little more attention?
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    stranger34 wrote:

haha saddest post of the week and it's only tuesday

• yes. a song written for an ignorant spoiled brat that killed himself should really have a high standard applied to it. that kid was stupid. plain and simple. it's unfortunate when anyone dies, but i have little to no sympathy for chris.

something which i will never understand. i didn't much care for the movie since it tried to portray him as a sage like hero. he was stupid and selfish.
    i think it was pretty even handed. showed the positives and negatives. great movie. i dont think he was a hero or a spoiled brat.
  • Dark EnergyDark Energy Posts: 203
    Why do we have fish ladders? Because of dams which block rivers? For electricity? Yeah but look at everybody's face when the lights go out and your red-hot beef and bean burritos thaw in the freezer./quote]

Veddernarian, this is the best line I have read on this board in years! Great informed post.
  • PredakingPredaking Posts: 282

I'm not a gay fish.
  • stranger34 wrote:

Once again the stranger is RIGHT.

Eddie Vedder, "When I pick up a magazine, I just count how many pages of ads before the first article starts. You go one, two... up to fifteen to twenty or more. And then in the back you have phone sex ads. So I've pretty much had it. I don't want to be the traveling medicine show where we go out and do the song and dance and someone else drops the back of the wagon and starts selling crap. I don't want our music to sell anything -- or anyone else use it."

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/la112094.shtml

So what's next Pearl Jam, the Super Bowl half time show?

We'll get montage of Jeremy, Black, and Daughter. Oh wait Last Kiss too.

Don't bother responding with the band is aging, growing, it's not 1995.

It is getting really sick.
  • Dudes, if i have to read the words "sell out" or "sold out" one more time on these boards...!! Stop being so judgemental! Unless you were at the table, or for that matter in the flipping band, you have no idea the motivation/situation for decisions that are made. Enjoy the music & what it does for your soul. Getting caught up in the rules of being cool isn't what it's about; it's a band not a religion.
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    stranger34 wrote:

Once again the stranger is RIGHT.

Eddie Vedder, "When I pick up a magazine, I just count how many pages of ads before the first article starts. You go one, two... up to fifteen to twenty or more. And then in the back you have phone sex ads. So I've pretty much had it. I don't want to be the traveling medicine show where we go out and do the song and dance and someone else drops the back of the wagon and starts selling crap. I don't want our music to sell anything -- or anyone else use it."

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/la112094.shtml

So what's next Pearl Jam, the Super Bowl half time show?

We'll get montage of Jeremy, Black, and Daughter. Oh wait Last Kiss too.

Don't bother responding with the band is aging, growing, it's not 1995.

It is getting really sick.

hahaha you quoted an article written in 1994 in an attempt to prove a point... that would be like me telling people to watch those "duck and cover" videos from the 1950's to educate themselves on what to do in the event of a nuclear explosion.
    is it really that bad that rise is being used in a commercial to advertise a show? maybe to you snobs out there it is, but to everyone on this board who is normal, it isn't. i hope ed was paid huge for letting the show use it, and i hope he donates it all to a charity just to make you all look like tools. i wouldn't be surprised if he did donate it... and if he doesn't, i hope he buys himself a new telecaster.... and a boat.
  • sounds like he finally wised up. about time.
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    Great show.... not sure what the fuss is about :?
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Dudes, if i have to read the words "sell out" or "sold out" one more time on these boards...!! Stop being so judgemental! Unless you were at the table, or for that matter in the flipping band, you have no idea the motivation/situation for decisions that are made. Enjoy the music & what it does for your soul. Getting caught up in the rules of being cool isn't what it's about; it's a band not a religion.

You're hot !
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,676
    Dudes, if i have to read the words "sell out" or "sold out" one more time on these boards...!! Stop being so judgemental! Unless you were at the table, or for that matter in the flipping band, you have no idea the motivation/situation for decisions that are made. Enjoy the music & what it does for your soul. Getting caught up in the rules of being cool isn't what it's about; it's a band not a religion.

BRAVO!!!!!!

Nice to see someone with some sense and a grasp of reality on here!!!
  • Lizard wrote:

pretty sure he could have avoided his fate if he paid a little more attention?

anybody who thinks he was "spoiled & stupid" obviously doesn't understand anything about him.....he died doing what made him happy!! we should all be so fucking lucky!!! there are times i wish i could just take off and get away from all the idiots on this planet too! if i didn't have a family to support i just might have!
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    Dudes, if i have to read the words "sell out" or "sold out" one more time on these boards...!! Stop being so judgemental! Unless you were at the table, or for that matter in the flipping band, you have no idea the motivation/situation for decisions that are made. Enjoy the music & what it does for your soul. Getting caught up in the rules of being cool isn't what it's about; it's a band not a religion.

You're hot !

STEP BACK HARMAPLESWEET!!! :evil:

love.and.evidence, you single? I've got an extra for the Bristow show....
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,840
    um
    Id guess that Sean Penns production compay owns the rights to the ITW soundtrack (at least for a certain period of time).And that SP probably asked for ed's approval.

But thats just masturbatory speculation. ;)
  • I just heard the song tonight on the commercial. That is so great! I love that show and the song. :D
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • IT IS NOT AN EDDIE VEDDER SONG!!!!!!!!!!! It's just a song played in the style of and similar to a couple eddie songs. There's no argument to be had here either. It is not ed.
    Toledo '96, Cleveland '98, Columbus '00, Cleveland '03, Toledo '04
    Washington D.C. '04, London '05,Hamilton '05,Grand Rapids '06,
    Cleveland '06, Detroit '06,Pittsburgh '06,Cincinnati '06,Chicago '07
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    um
    Id guess that Sean Penns production compay owns the rights to the ITW soundtrack (at least for a certain period of time).And that SP probably asked for ed's approval.

Highly! It doesnt work that way.....ever.
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • TheBeach wrote:
    I just heard the song tonight on the commercial. That is so great! I love that show and the song. :D

Not enought to know that it aint that song?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,840
    Get_Right wrote:
    um

Highly! It doesnt work that way.....ever.
    of course it does
    commissioned work
    artist gets a flat fee for turning over a soundtrack and relinquishing the rights
    that is often how soundtrack deals are made for original compositions
    but I would guess that EV imposed some other restrictions on the use of the music as a condition-like no third party licenses may be granted, or something along those lines

why do you think that no recording of his shows was allowed and the youtube vids get taken down?
    Because the studio has a proprietary interest in the songs. Thats why in IMHO.

But hey, thats just masturbatory speculation ;)
  • zadarszadars Posts: 24
    IT IS NOT AN EDDIE VEDDER SONG!!!!!!!!!!! It's just a song played in the style of and similar to a couple eddie songs. There's no argument to be had here either. It is not ed.
    I think you better get a few Q-Tips, and turn on the Discovery Channel, and listen REAL close,,,,,,,it's him, it's the song,,,,it CANNOT BE DENIED,,,,my husband who doesn't even like Pearl Jam, (Yeah, it's our "ONE THING",,,which is FINE, I get to spend time with my best friend at shows), but when MY husband says, Wow, isn't that Pearl Jam?,,,,,It's Ed! That is a voice that simply cannot be duplicated!

And for all the "Nay Sayers", please,,,, it's the Mans job! He does have a family to support, and we all do what ever what must do to pay the bills. And, in the end it was/is HIS choice. We may never know the reason, maybe Capt. Phil was an Uncle! Seriously what difference does it make?

Chris McC. may have died doing what he loved, while being happy, but he dies alone and hungry, something I wouldn't wish upon ANYBODY.
    And even me, being a Veg. Head, doesn't stop me from indulging in SOME bad things here and there. The guy still drinks wine and smokes once in a while too. Being a vegetarian does not make us saints! We just have lower cholesterol!

I for one am always happy ANYTIME I hear THAT voice,,,,,,,,,Hope to see everybody in NYC!!!
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,460
    more proof of selling out...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.