Eddie Vedder on Deadliest Catch!

mccluskyhatmccluskyhat Posts: 11
edited April 2010 in The Porch
I was somewhat stoked and a little confused about hearing one of Eddie's songs on the Deadliest Catch commercial on the Discovery channel. I can't decide if I'm more happy about being able to hear him while being bored by commercials or kind of dissappointed that the song was sold out to Discovery. I don't know maybe I'm being a little critical of the whole situation. Any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• good show. what song was played? and i think that at this point the band has earned the right to sell their music to whoever they want. maybe eddie watches the show, and this is a reason that he sold his song to Discovery.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    What song?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    the song was rise
  • hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 198
    A lot of the boats are from Seattle - so there is a bit of a connection there (be it small)
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    10 - Bristow
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore
    24 - Las Vegas (16th) / Las Vegas (18th) / Baltimore
  • hadfiiw wrote:
    A lot of the boats are from Seattle - so there is a bit of a connection there (be it small)

be it small
    town. :lol:
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    oh good god....this thread again?? :mrgreen:
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Deadliest Catch is a quality show that suffered a tremendous loss this year.

Ed's song Rise is a very fitting song heading into this new season.

I am sure Ed wouldn't have authorized his song if he too wasn't a fan of the show.

R.I.P. Captain Phil
  • san pedrosan pedro Posts: 169
    eddie catching crabs.....

you should see a doctor about that! :lol:
    "DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    I was somewhat stoked and a little confused about hearing one of Eddie's songs on the Deadliest Catch commercial on the Discovery channel. I can't decide if I'm more happy about being able to hear him while being bored by commercials or kind of dissappointed that the song was sold out to Discovery. I don't know maybe I'm being a little critical of the whole situation. Any thoughts?

target
    yellow ledbetter friends
    Ashton kutcher

those are my thoughts

who cares
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    dont understand why people are upset that a song written for a big studio movie is being used on for a television show
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,842
    Do you still crap in a diaper? Things change over time and you start to realize that having your song played on a cool television show is not a bad thing.

Go check out the Frogs or some other lame band hiding behind "indie cred" because only a 1,000 people like their music.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    has any one seen the advert for the Discovery Channel Surviving Alaska with alive playing top of the range :D
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    pretty sad that a song written for Chris McCandless gets sold out.

or that the listed earth-first - vegetarian singer is selling out to the deadliest catch.

Gotta love Pearl Jam circa 2010
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    stranger34 wrote:

or that the listed earth-first - vegetarian singer is selling out to the deadliest catch.
    As much as I hate to... I agree.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    DeLukin wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

and you're both quitting the fan club today right?

i didn't think so
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    DeLukin wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

im sure he made so much money from allowing them play this song :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    DeLukin wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

and you're both quitting the fan club today right?

i didn't think so

you'll be falling out of lock-step today right?

i didn't think so
  • deadliestcatch.jpg:mrgreen:
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I got chills when I heard Rise and they flashed the picture of Captain Phil.

No "sellout" posts will take that away from me.

Great show.

Great song.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372

target
    yellow ledbetter friends
    Ashton kutcher

those are my thoughts

who cares

What's the ashton kutcher refer to ?
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Perfect song fits that perfect show. Smile in front of a mirror and you'll see canine teeth. Humans are omnivores. We have a society now that allows us to work and be paid so we can purchase our next meal instead of having to catch it. Somebody has to catch our next meal so we don't have to. These people risk life and limb in order to give us the option to eat crab once in a while. It is amazing what they do. I think the song is befitting. Tastefully done. PJ/Ed not sellouts.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    Yeah the song is pretty much perfect for the show. It's about survival, overcoming odds, weather, and Alaska. Chris may not have loved the commercial side, but the song fits the show.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
    Go check out the Frogs or some other lame band hiding behind "indie cred" because only a 1,000 people like their music.
    awesome.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    stranger34 wrote:
    you'll be falling out of lock-step today right?

i didn't think so

Check annnnnd mate.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    This song is from a movie soundtrack... Happens all the time.
  • JB267847JB267847 Posts: 1
    It is extremely sad that a man who has donated to organizations that seek to preserve the ocean, and who has spoken about the need for preservation, would allow his song to be used in Deadliest Catch, a show about ignorant thugs hired to rape the ocean by the industrial fishing industry. This industry is responsible for horrible declines among several fish species (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... cline.html); Mr. Vedder should know better.
  • is it a total sellout move? absolutely. i wonder if he's getting that tattoo burned off now.

do i care? nope. in fact, i feel like some crab legs.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    JB267847 wrote:
    It is extremely sad that a man who has donated to organizations that seek to preserve the ocean, and who has spoken about the need for preservation, would allow his song to be used in Deadliest Catch, a show about ignorant thugs hired to rape the ocean by the industrial fishing industry. This industry is responsible for horrible declines among several fish species (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... cline.html); Mr. Vedder should know better.

The department of fish and game works hard to manage the numbers and reduce the catches in order to balance demand for consumption and preserve the populations of species. I agree it is not perfect but a lot of effort goes into researching the species populations, and DFG establishes quotas which are meant to prreserve species. people grumble but comply in order not to get hit with stiff fines. I like fishing, I have a boat, I have to comply with similar laws governing species in my area. I am not a vegetarian and I don't think people have to be vegetarian if they don't want to be. I enjoy going out and catching 10-20 fish, bringing them home and eating them. Many of our fish stocks are increasing due to concervation, many are declining. In California, I can name a handful of fish which are illegal to catch. Same goes with crab species up north. If you really want to look at it, a bunch of sea lions have gotten smart and sit in front of fish ladders slaughtering salmon. Some would argue that those sea lions ought to be killed for that. Probably not the right solution either. Why do we have fish ladders? Because of dams which block rivers? For electricity? Yeah but look at everybody's face when the lights go out and your red-hot beef and bean burritos thaw in the freezer. It's all connected and a balance. I think in the past a lot of people thought the ocean was an endless supply and that's wrong but I think a balance can be stricken so people can eat crab, for example, and not deplete the ocean. These people who catch crab work harder than many people and are hardened based on the harshness of what they encounter. What they do is amazing when you consider the conditions, hours, etc. And the Bearing Sea is not tame. In my opinion, Rise is a perfect song. Ed isn't selling out. Not at all,
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • It was a song written for a movie, released by a movie studio and probably owned by the same studio. There is just as much a chance he had no say in it being used.
    Columbus 00 / Buffalo 03 / Toledo 04 / Kitchener 05 / London 05 / Hamilton 05 / Toronto 05 / Toronto I 06 / Toronto II 06 / Pittsburgh 06 / Cincinnati 06 / DC 08 / NYC I 08 / NYC II 08 / Hartford 08 / Toronto 09 / Chicago I 09 / Chicago II 09 / Philly III 09 / Philly IV 09 / Cleveland 10 / Buffalo 10 / Hartford 10 / Toronto I 11 / Toronto II 11 / Hamilton 11 / London 13 / Pittsburgh 13 / Buffalo 13 / Toronto I 16 / Toronto II 16 / Boston II 16
    http://www.Sports-Casters.com
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    I get tired of people (not in this thread) calling these fishermen "Heroes" these people are not heroes. They are out in the condition to make money and nothing more. Yes the conditions they go into are dangerous but these men know this and they what they are going to get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The real Heroes are the Coast Guard resquers who go out into these fridgid waters and save complete strangers. If anyone is a sellout it's the deadliest catch people i mean come on people they have an XBOX game doesn't that sound fun?

PJ has earned thier right to sell a song here and there. It's not like it was a Pepsi commercial or a Bud Light commercial. The whole sell out thing is a bit overdone because we have been bombarded with instant celebs and we have seen bands who have potential only piss it away due to corporate influence.

In some ways new bands have to "sell out" in order to make money and be a known name. PJ is far from that everyone knows who PJ is love or hate'em people do respect them. So if a few songs get out on to the Discovery channel than so be it.
    My butt itches!