A Month Without Pearl Jam. Can it be done?

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Usuaally a couple of days before a concert I stop listening to pearl jam so I can get pumped for the show. I also stay Away from setlists so i can be surprised at the show. The Hartford show this year will be my last time out for a long time (expecting my 3rd on 6/11).
Thinking about banning pearl jam from my playlist for a month in hopes of an Epic weekend. Can it be done?

How long can you go without?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    You could give it a go. I would probably listen to more so lyrics are fresh in my head - but then I have a terrible memory and always get the words wrong when I sing along :oops:
  • Very tough, both to stop the listening (especially in this day and age of the mp3 player) - and to not check previous setlists.

I`d say go a month sans live-PJ, and a only a few days without studio recordings.

The setlists are a must, as it gives you the edge in the ``guess-the-opener-for-shots`` competition.

haha
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Nuh sorry I just tried it then had to look at Porch from Pinkpop 2000 on youtube :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Haha. It's hard. My wife loves PJ too and she Said that I've been over doing it. Who else am j supposed to listen to? Good charlotte??

I probably average 4 plus hrs of PJ music a day. The rest is talk radio
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    Usuaally a couple of days before a concert I stop listening to pearl jam so I can get pumped for the show. I also stay Away from setlists so i can be surprised at the show. The Hartford show this year will be my last time out for a long time (expecting my 3rd on 6/11).
    Thinking about banning pearl jam from my playlist for a month in hopes of an Epic weekend. Can it be done?

I think you can do it... just listen to Into the Wild, Ball Hog ('gainst the 70s), Mirrorball... technically they aren't PJ!
    :D

Funny thing, I usually have a hard time listening to PJ *after* the show... the splendor of the show makes any recording fall flat, at least for a day or two.
  • Bdog10Bdog10 Posts: 471
    I gave up PJ for lent. Only 1 week to go thank god. ( But I cheated by watching SNL)
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
    Bdog10 wrote:
    I gave up PJ for lent. Only 1 week to go thank god. ( But I cheated by watching SNL)
    Ouch. Did you change the channel if they came on the radio? I've been thinking about what i should do about that
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,836
    do it all the time, especially before shows

absence make the heart grow fonder
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    can it be done??? yeah, ofcourse ,in jail,or in a coma at hospital..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764

I take the opposite approach -- i like to get ready by putting the PJ on overload! I have a ton of bootlegs on my ipod and since i got my MSG tickets, ive been listening to a show or two a day at work. Last week I listened to MSG2 - 2008, the Gorge box set, Melbourne 1998, Soldier Field 1995, San Antonio 2003, Chicago 2 - 2009, LA3 and LA4 2009, Boston 2 2008, East Rutherford 2 - 2006, Santa Barbara 2006, Tokyo 2003 and Sendei 1995.

after the MSG shows, ill give it a rest (other than listening to the 2010 boots when they are released).
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • I haven't stopped listening since 1991. So it's a definite no. Can't be done. Wouldn't want to try it. I'm addicted. They are part of my being. A crackhead has crack. Tiger has his ho's. I've got the greatest band ever!!!!
    Things were different then, all is different now.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    quite lame if you cant.
  • Bdog10Bdog10 Posts: 471
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Ouch. Did you change the channel if they came on the radio? I've been thinking about what i should do about that

Yeah actually I do. Ive been discovering other music but PJ will only be #1 in my heart. I have five shows coming up so I'll definetly make up for lost time.
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Isaac wrote:
    Funny thing, I usually have a hard time listening to PJ *after* the show... the splendor of the show makes any recording fall flat, at least for a day or two.

I've had the same problem...much harder to listen to PJ after the show than before....I do listen to PJ before shows but not on overload
  • I've done it. You should try. I took 4 months off before the Chicago shows last year. Think of it as a spritual clensing!, Lol. I just listened to a bunch of other rock music, there is so much incredible music out there.

After a few months, anything PJ sounded so fresh. Have you ever tried to listen to a song as if you are listening to it for the first time, very difficult thing to do, but after a few months without hearing Pj, it starts to feel that way to a certain extent . . . but I digress . . . Try it, if you don't want to, then don't try it! Lol.
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Pfft...

I went 10 years without listening to Pearl Jam. 1982-1992.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    youngster wrote:
    Pfft...

I see what you did there.... :wtf:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    youngster wrote:
    Pfft...

:lol::lol::lol: same here
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
    before that it was iron maiden, ac/dc, g n r, metallica etc :twisted: :twisted:
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    There's other music out there.. I haven't listened to anything but Backspacer since Backspacer came out, along with a bunch of other new bands I enjoy.
    There's other music out there.. I haven't listened to anything but Backspacer since Backspacer came out, along with a bunch of other new bands I enjoy.

there's other music out there, never, :lol:

i must admit, i'm like most people out there, where i go through phases of listening to a lot of pj, driving my wife and friends crazy :twisted: just now though i'm going through my music collection, listing to a lot of old stuff, metallica is the band of the moment for me.
  • When I've considered this monastic type of fasting before, I've always come to the conclusion that I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Why deny myself of something that I have no reason not to keep enjoying?
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    When I've considered this monastic type of fasting before, I've always come to the conclusion that I could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Why deny myself of something that I have no reason not to keep enjoying?
    amen to that...

No need to be void... or save up on life... you got to spend it all...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    except for snl, I haven't heard any pj since the shows at the spectrum.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    can it be done??? yeah, ofcourse ,in jail,or in a coma at hospital..
    :lol: yes I would have to have it smuggled in to jail and it would probably play non stop in my head whilst in a coma case it does already
    I don't want to go without Pearl Jam its an addiction that is safe and satisfying
    I actually listen even more just before the concerts, we take the cd's when / where we travel etc. fun drinking wine in the hotel with it cranked up in the pre party party mode.
    my journey begins today.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,409
    It can't be done! At work or in the car, there will be music radio playing. At home or out for a walk, there will be Music TV and new's. There will be Pearl Jam playing. With just day's before Pearl Jam coming to your city, how can you not listen to Pearl Jam before the day of the show for a month? You will be talking about the Pearl Jam with your family & friends right? You will check your emails & the message board for new's & info on what's happening.

It can only be done if Pearl Jam is done touring for a few months. There I can say it can be done. I personally can't do it. My car & house is Pearl Jam'd that my blood & air is the sounds of Pearl Jam. Where ever I go I wear or speak the Pearl Jam language. Scary, I know. But that's who I am!

You're gonna be climbing the walls if you are gonna go without Pearl Jam for a month. The only way this will work is to get unplugged from the Matrix (online) and to hide with the bears in the cave for the month like Yogi Bear. Then the day the band is in town, we will call you up & get your ready for the show that night.
    demetrios wrote:
    It can't be done! At work or in the car, there will be music radio playing. At home or out for a walk, there will be Music TV and new's. There will be Pearl Jam playing. With just day's before Pearl Jam coming to your city, how can you not listen to Pearl Jam before the day of the show for a month? You will be talking about the Pearl Jam with your family & friends right? You will check your emails & the message board for new's & info on what's happening.

It can only be done if Pearl Jam is done touring for a few months. There I can say it can be done. I personally can't do it. My car & house is Pearl Jam'd that my blood & air is the sounds of Pearl Jam. Where ever I go I wear or speak the Pearl Jam language. Scary, I know. But that's who I am!

You're gonna be climbing the walls if you are gonna go without Pearl Jam for a month. The only way this will work is to get unplugged from the Matrix (online) and to hide with the bears in the cave for the month like Yogi Bear. Then the day the band is in town, we will call you up & get your ready for the show that night.

I don't listen to regular radio and my music pretty much lives through my iphone. At work, I usually listen to Howard or my play list. I picked up an album from the black keys (which I love), RHCP greatest hits and I also have a plethora of music to choose from.. I don't watch Deadliest Catch and If I hear it on another show, I will change the channel ASAP. It def will be a challenge.
    I'm also going to cut out Set List hunting. This could be my last pearl jam show for a long time.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Claireack wrote:
    You could give it a go. I would probably listen to more so lyrics are fresh in my head - but then I have a terrible memory and always get the words wrong when I sing along :oops:

My thoughts exactly. I can't seem to remember lyrics anymore...... even to songs that I have sang over and over again.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi