The best PJ show ever. Can't be debated.

2»

Comments

• This show says you're crazy.

03/29/94 – Bayfront Arena: St. Petersburg, FL [120m]
    support act: King’s X
    set: Rearviewmirror, Whipping, Go, Animal, Dissident, Even Flow, Why Go, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/(ABitW-II)/(WMA), Blood, Last Exit, Black, Alive, Porch/(Dirty Frank)
    enc 1: Sonic Reducer, Not for You, Elderly Woman, Rockin’ in the Free World
    enc 2: Indifference
    enc 3: Throw Your Arms Around Me
    notes: Ed jokes, “There is a fake in Florida, but this is the real Jeff Ament. If someone comes up to you and says he is Jeff Ament and wants to take your pot or wants to take you to a stripclub, it is probably not him.” In a very rare third encore, ‘Throw Your Arms Around Me’ is introduced as follows: “See, we live in a place where it ain’t so sunny. Have you ever been in Seattle? It’s just … this song has a lot to do with summer and I just want to play it here cause it always feels like summer here.” This is a wonderful show!
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    drsluggo wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    That said- I'd take shows today over that time period anyday! Matter of fact.. I'd take a setlist of what they do now over a 94 show any day!

How about identical setlist from 1993 versus 2006? Which do you prefer the sound of on identical songs?
    Of identical songs I'd take 93... of overall show I'd take 2006.

I forgot Porch in my earlier post - thinking of Porch/Black/Blood/RVM/etc 91-95 vs Porch/Black/Blood/RVM/etc now... how can you NOT take the 90s versions?[/quote]

Honestly, I enjoy the newer RVM and Porch more than the old... RVM esp, it seems to be more experimental now. For me, the better versions of the older songs are the Alives and E-flows of the catalogue...
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Anyone have any good sounding bootlegs from the early days? Unfortunately, I was 5 in '93, so no Pearl Jam for me. I know the Atlanta '94 is regarded as THE premiere sounding bootleg from early years, but I need more!!
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    i don't know...

philly 3 2009 and ottawa 05 were pretty nuts.
  • over bends wrote:
    Anyone have any good sounding bootlegs from the early days? Unfortunately, I was 5 in '93, so no Pearl Jam for me. I know the Atlanta '94 is regarded as THE premiere sounding bootleg from early years, but I need more!!

my favorites from the pre-official release years... i posted my full list of favorite shows over in the live forum a couple of days ago...

'92
    1) 6/18/92 - Volkshaus: Zurich, Switzerland [85]
    attendance: 500
    set: Oceans, Even Flow, Why Go, Jeremy, State of Love and Trust, Improv (Love You Hate You), Black, Alive, (I'm Not Crazy)/Once, Footsteps, Deep, Leash, jam (Shower the People/Brass in Pocket/Meaningless), Porch, Improv/Suggestion/Garden, Rockin' in the Free World

Anyone who listens to PJ boots that arent just officially released has this show (and knows how good it is). Many best ever versions of songs, specifically the black, alive, and rockin'. Mamasan trilogy is the heat!

2) 3/02/92 - Paard, Den Haag, Holland [88m]
    set: Oceans, Even Flow, Why Go, Jeremy, Deep, Alive, Black, Saying No/Suggestion, Alone, Once, Porch
    enc: Garden, Leash, I've Got A Feeling

My favorite IGAF (many boot versions are missing the last few minutes). Ed is having a blast with his brother on stage. Another great Porch!

3) 2/12/92 - Melkweg: Amsterdam, Holland [70m]
    set: Wash, Once, Even Flow, State of Love and Trust, Alive, Black, Deep, Jeremy, Why Go, Bad Mouth improv/Porch
    encore: I've Got a Feeling

The energy at this show is out of hand (even more so than most '92 shows) and is obvious when watching the great video recording. Deep--> Porch is epic.

'93
    1)07/14/93 - Brixton Academy: London, England [105m]
    attendance: 6,426
    support act: Tribe After Tribe
    set: Release, Even Flow (song stopped), Blood, Animal, Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Rearviewmirror, Beast of Burden/(Suck You Dry), Alive, Black, Go, Daughter/(W.M.A.), Porch/(Tearing), Once, Garden, Blues Jam/State of Love and Trust
    enc 1: Leash, Fuckin' Up, Sonic Reducer

This shows in my top 10 all time. My favorite Indfiference. Some of tightest playing ive heard from these guys.

2) 05/13/93 - Slim's Cafe: San Francisco, CA [110m]
    attendance: 900
    soundcheck: Daughter instrumental, Why Go, Blood instrumental, Rats and Release guitar warm-ups, Animal instrumental, Animal, Dissident
    set: Animal, Go, Even Flow, Blood, Daughter, W.M.A., Dissident, Why Go, Alive, Hard to Imagine, Rearviewmirror, Better Man, Dirty Frank/Rats, Baba O'Riley, Once, Jeremy, (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)/Porch/(Tearing), Release, Alone, (Dirty Deeds)/Whipping, Leash, Sonic Reducer

An obvious fan favorite with tons of debuts. sick HTI with beast of burden teases. Leash rips.

3) 10/28/93 - Warfield Theater: San Francisco, CA [90m]
    attendance: 2,250
    support act: Rollins Band
    soundcheck: Athena/long vocal jam, Rearviewmirror, Rats instrumental/Rats/jam
    set: Release, Animal, Go, Blood, Even Flow, Improv (I Could Prove to You), Dissident, Why Go, Jeremy, Daughter/(The Real Me), Rearviewmirror, Once, Alive, Garden, Porch/(Tearing)
    enc: My Generation, Whipping, Leash, Indifference

Not Sure Why Ive always been partial to this one. The encore is awesome though.

1)03/29/94 - Bayfront Arena: St. Petersburg, FL [120m]
    support act: King's X
    set: Rearviewmirror, Whipping, Go, Animal, Dissident, Even Flow, Why Go, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/(ABitW-II)/(WMA), Blood, Last Exit, Black, Alive, Porch/(Dirty Frank)
    enc 1: Sonic Reducer, Not for You, Elderly Woman, Rockin' in the Free World
    enc 3: Throw Your Arms Around Me

Probably my favorite show played by the band. Best. Porch. Ever. TYAAM is beautiful.

2)04/03/94 - Fox Theater: Atlanta, GA [150m]
    attendance: 4,500
    support act: King's X
    soundcheck: (partial list) Go, Better Man, WMA (X2), Manic Depression (Jeff & Stone w/ King's X singer and drummer)
    set: Release, Rearviewmirror, Whipping, Even Flow, Dissident, Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/(ABitW-II), Go, Animal, Garden, State of Love and Trust, Black, Alive, Blood/(Not for You), WMA, Better Man, Elderly Woman, Rats, Satan's Bed, Once, Sonic Reducer, Porch/(Androgynous Mind), Indifference

At this point I think everyone knows how good this show is.

3)04/12/94 - Orpheum Theater: Boston, MA [130]
    support act: Mudhoney
    set: Oceans, Even Flow, Sonic Reducer, State of Love and Trust, Hard to Imagine, Immortality/(Hey Hey, My My), Go, Animal, Glorified G, Daughter/(Suck You Dry), Alone, Not for You, Better Man, Rats, Blood
    enc: Release, Tremor Christ, Once, Fuckin' Up, Dirty Frank, Yellow Ledbetter, instrumental jam, Rearviewmirror, Elderly Woman, I've Got a Feeling/jam

See above.

1)06/20/95 - Red Rocks Amphitheater: Morrison, CO [132m]
    attendance: 9,000
    support act: Bad Religion
    set: Long Road, Jeremy (new), Ship Song, Footsteps, Falling Down, Better Man, Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Animal, Tremor Christ, Corduroy, Not for You, Go, State of Love and Trust, Daughter/(This Boy), Garden, I've Just Seen a Face (Ed solo), Alive, Whipping, Lukin, Rearviewmirror/Improv (Words Seem Out of Place), Elderly Woman, Blood
    enc 1: Black, Porch, Immortality

Who doesnt love this show? most creative main set ever?

2)03/17/95 - Flinders Park Tennis Centre: Melbourne, Australia [128m]
    attendance: 10,000
    support act: The Meaniesset: Release, Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Tremor Christ, Corduroy, Not for You/Lukin, Animal, Glorified G, Daughter/(Stuff and Nonsense), State of Love and Trust, Why Go, Jeremy, Whipping, Immortality/Rearviewmirror, Alive, Black, Blood, Porch
    enc: Go, Even Flow, Better Man, Improv (Words Seem Out of Place), Indifference, Rockin' in the Free World

Standard setlist. Show is anything but, betterman and RITFW own noob faces.

3)02/21/95 - Kosei Nenkin Kaikan: Osaka, Japan [110m]
    set: Release, Go, Last Exit, Tremor Christ, Corduroy, Lukin, Even Flow, Glorified G, Daughter/(I Don't Know About the Future), Alive, I Got Shit, Whipping, Jeremy, Animal, Blood, Improv, Porch/(Catholic Boys)
    enc: Satan's Bed, Spin the Black Circle, Sonic Reducer, Footsteps, Rearviewmirror, Indifference

Show is a monster. top notch Porch

1)10/02/96 - Meadows Music Theatre: Hartford, CT [131m]
    support act: The Fastbacks
    set: Long Road, Hail Hail, Animal, Last Exit, In My Tree, Corduroy, Better Man, Not for You, Jeremy, Red Mosquito, Black, Rearviewmirror, Lukin, Elderly Woman, State of Love and Trust, Footsteps, Alive, Blood/(Fame)/(Noise of Carpet), Porch
    enc: Who You Are, Even Flow, Daughter/(The Real Me)/(WMA), Leaving Here, Present Tense, Yellow Ledbetter (with Little Wing lick)

one of the first boots i ever BOUGHT. Blood, Who You Are, and Daughter are some of my favorite versions.

2) 09/29/96 - Downing Stadium (Randall's Island): New York, NY [168m]
    attendance: 30,000
    support act: Ben Harper, The Fastbacks
    set: Sometimes, Go, Spin the Black Circle, Hail Hail, Animal, Tremor Christ, Who You Are, Corduroy, Lukin, Better Man, Not for You, Jeremy (new), Once, Rats, Last Exit, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Whipping, I Got Shit, Black, Alive, Porch
    enc 1: In My Tree, Even Flow, Daughter/(The Real Me)/(ABitW)/(WMA), Mankind, Long Road, Leaving Here
    enc 2: Off He Goes, Present Tense, Yellow Ledbetter

Longest show at the time. we've all heard it and its fucking killer.

3)11/07/96 - Le Zenith: Paris, France [115m]
    attendance: 5,000
    support act: The Fastbacks set: Wash, Hail Hail, Last Exit, Once, Tremor Christ, Who You Are, Corduroy, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Even Flow, Jeremy, Off He Goes, Animal, Daughter/(Improv)/(Androgynous Mind), Lukin, Rearviewmirror, I Got Shit, Whipping, Alive
    enc 1: Roadhouse Blues, Sometimes, Black, State of Love and Trust, Porch
    enc 2: Smile, Yellow Ledbetter

One of my favorite versions of Alive. Wash opener is great and both encores kill. great story before Sometimes.

1)08/25/98 - Star Lake Amphitheatre: Pittsburgh, PA [123m]
    attendance: 22,536
    support act: Iggy Pop
    soundcheck: long spacy jam, Whipping, Red Mosquito (w/ harmonica at end), Last Kiss, Soldier of Love
    set: Throw Your Arms Around Me, Release, Brain of J, Last Exit, Corduroy, I Got Shit, Faithfull, Even Flow, Jeremy, MFC, Rearviewmirror, Wishlist, Daughter/(Outshined)/(I Wanna Live), Do the Evolution, Given to Fly, Elderly Woman, Alive
    enc 1: No Way, Animal, Hail Hail, Not for You, Nothingman, Black, Rockin' in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

Debut of No Way. All songs played very well. sweet encore.

2)06/30/98 - Target Center: Minneapolis, MN [110m]
    attendance: 18,000
    support act: Frank Black
    soundcheck: Leatherman, Oceans, Pilate, Not for You, Leaving Here, Go (partial)
    set: Sometimes, Last Exit, Brain of J, Hail Hail, Faithfull, Even Flow, Corduroy, I Got Shit, Pilate, Daughter/(Noise of Carpet)/chanting, MFC, Lukin, Wishlist, Mankind, All Those Yesterdays, Black, Alive
    enc: Do the Evolution, Given to Fly, Leatherman, Better Man, Leaving Here, (My Generation Blues)/Porch!

Setlist is amazing. Playing is even better. Encore kills.

3)09/11/98 - Madison Square Garden: New York, NY [130m]
    support act: Ben Harper
    set: Release, Hail Hail, Animal, Even Flow, Given to Fly, Corduroy, MFC, Habit, Faithfull, Daughter/(Beginning to See the Light)/(WMA), Wishlist, Nothingman, Immortality, RVM, Brain of J, Black, Do the Evolution
    enc 1: Breath, State of Love and Trust, Off He Goes, Leatherman, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Mankind, Baba O'Riley
    enc 2: Indifference (with Ben Harper), Alive

First of many legendary MSG shows. More than made up for the lackluster previous night. Breath bustout was huge.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Ooof, thanks a ton. There goes my Sunday's productivity.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• i don't know...

philly 3 2009 and ottawa 05 were pretty nuts.

ottawa '05 was my favorite show i've been to (and i was at 7/11/03). those first 8 songs are fire.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,446
    Orpheum 94
    Atlanta 94
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    10-22-1990 - The Off Road Cafe

The best show ever. It's been downhill ever since then. Just face it, they'll never top it. It's over, nothing to see here, just go home.

Sike! :lol:
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    over bends wrote:

I will add to reed's list... "Radio Fritz"... mainly cause their is an excellent recording (near-soundboard quality... broadcast over the radio of this show and Ed's post-show DJ set).

11/03/96 - Deutschlandhalle: Berlin, Germany [125m]
    set: Long Road, Last Exit, Animal, Hail Hail, Go, Red Mosquito, In My Tree, Corduroy, Better Man, Lukin, Mankind, Hunger Strike, Even Flow, Daughter/(Androgynous Mind)/(Noise of Carpet), Jeremy, Sometimes, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Alive, Blood/(Fame)/(Suck You Dry)
    enc: Who You Are, State of Love and Trust, Not for You, Present Tense, Leaving Here, Yellow Ledbetter
  • Isaac wrote:
    over bends wrote:

I will add to reed's list... "Radio Fritz"... mainly cause their is an excellent recording (near-soundboard quality... broadcast over the radio of this show and Ed's post-show DJ set).

11/03/96 - Deutschlandhalle: Berlin, Germany [125m]
    set: Long Road, Last Exit, Animal, Hail Hail, Go, Red Mosquito, In My Tree, Corduroy, Better Man, Lukin, Mankind, Hunger Strike, Even Flow, Daughter/(Androgynous Mind)/(Noise of Carpet), Jeremy, Sometimes, Rearviewmirror, Immortality, Alive, Blood/(Fame)/(Suck You Dry)
    enc: Who You Are, State of Love and Trust, Not for You, Present Tense, Leaving Here, Yellow Ledbetter

great show!
  • BD122845BD122845 Posts: 43
    Best Pearl Jam shows I've seen. Yeah there are more shows but I do not want to list all of them. Top 5 are at the bottom in order.

September 1996 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion with the Fastbacks and Jack Irons on drums. All the songs you wanted to hear from the first 3 albums and No Code
    April 2003 Tampa, FL alittle bit more of Greatest Hits. Incredible show
    July 2003 PNC Bank Arts Center great show
    October 2004 Boston Night 1
    October 2004 Reading, PA
    September30 & October 1 2005 Borgata Atlantic City
    October 3rd Philadelphia 2005 Wachovia Center
    May 30 2006 Cleveland Quicken Loans Arena/Gund Arena
    June 2006 Washington DC MCI/Verizon Center
    July 2006 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium shows all 3 shows
    August 2007 Vic Theatre
    June 2008 Bonnaroo set
    June 2008 Hartford best show of that tour
    July 1st 2008 Beacon Theatre
    August 2009 Chicago both shows good various but not the same energy.
    October 28th and 30th Philly.

TOP 5 I've seen.
    1. Vic Theatre 2007
    2. PNC Bank Arts 2003
    3. Wachovia Center 2005
    4. Merriweather 1996
    5. Hartford 2008
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    DS1119 wrote:
    The best PJ show ever hasn't happened yet...think about that.

David
    64xxx

I have to agree and hope this is true. As a famous new england quarterback responded when asked which super bowl victory was the greatest he responded "the next one!"

Exactly!!!

Tom Brady has never won another Super Bowl since he said that and never will! Just like there won't be another Best show...its already happened! It doesn't mean Brady should retire though! Good times still be had!
  • BD122845 wrote:
    Best Pearl Jam shows I've seen. Yeah there are more shows but I do not want to list all of them. Top 5 are at the bottom in order.

September 1996 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion with the Fastbacks and Jack Irons on drums. All the songs you wanted to hear from the first 3 albums and No Code
    April 2003 Tampa, FL alittle bit more of Greatest Hits. Incredible show
    July 2003 PNC Bank Arts Center great show
    October 2004 Boston Night 1
    October 2004 Reading, PA
    September30 & October 1 2005 Borgata Atlantic City
    October 3rd Philadelphia 2005 Wachovia Center
    May 30 2006 Cleveland Quicken Loans Arena/Gund Arena
    June 2006 Washington DC MCI/Verizon Center
    July 2006 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium shows all 3 shows
    August 2007 Vic Theatre

love that pnc show form '03 with a couple songs from each album. and then the awesome bruce cover in the encore with the long ed speech.
    June 2008 Bonnaroo set
    June 2008 Hartford best show of that tour
    July 1st 2008 Beacon Theatre
    August 2009 Chicago both shows good various but not the same energy.
    October 28th and 30th Philly.

TOP 5 I've seen.
    1. Vic Theatre 2007
    2. PNC Bank Arts 2003
    3. Wachovia Center 2005
    4. Merriweather 1996
    5. Hartford 2008
  • DS1119 wrote:
    The best PJ show ever hasn't happened yet...think about that.

David
    64xxx

I have to agree and hope this is true. As a famous new england quarterback responded when asked which super bowl victory was the greatest he responded "the next one!"

Exactly!!!

Tom Brady has never won another Super Bowl since he said that and never will! Just like there won't be another Best show...its already happened! It doesn't mean Brady should retire though! Good times still be had!
    OUCH! but i wouldn't bet against it, plus he always has his wife to fall back on (pun intended)
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
  • ThrillThrill Posts: 26
    1994. the fox theater. atlanta ga. the second night.

all songs from first two albums, plus three from vitalogy(not released yet), and the dead boys cover. oh yeah, they opened with release and closed with indifference(because no one wanted to leave after their second encore).

also, before they played go, ed said the words "this one's for kurt".

at the end of daughter, they sang one measure of a pink floyd jamm.

i recorded this from the radio back then and have listened to it at least 1000 times. well, maybe.

it's the best show i have heard that i wasn't in attendance. that's the best that i can do. how's that grab ya?

thrill
  • LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    I haven't seen PJ live since 1992 at SPAC when I was a college student (although I'm taking my 14 y/o daughter to MSG1 for her b-day) so I really have no place in this discussion other than offering my 2 cents as a seasoned concert-goer. With that disclaimer, I'll submit that the best live acts are those that have, a) withstood the test of time, and, b) seized on those moments when the stars align for that perfect performance. I've seen a lot of Springsteen ESB shows and they're widely considered one of the greatest live acts of all time. This past year I saw them 6 times, and despite all the "epic" shows in their annals, the MSG2 show they put on last November (when the entire band was nearly 60 or beyond) is considered one of their greatest. My point being that any great band is capable of putting on a show worthy of an "epic" performance when the mood is right -- so don't lose faith!

I can't tell you how excited I am about going to PJ's show at MSG. Hopefully my daughter will feel the Garden shake like I did this past November... she still doesn't believe me when I tell her the ground moves when there's magic in the air at MSG.

FWIW, when I saw Springsteen at the Spectrum last October, the PJ banner was flying above the main gate. I had a line on tickets for the 10/31 show and passed them up... this based on a 5 hour drive from home to what I'd remembered from that '92 show. Since then I've watched some of their live DVD's that my daughter has amassed. I can assure you that their best shows weren't in 1992!

Keep the faith.
  • It's like asking who your favourite supermodel is.