Options

Top 3 Shows from each year

13»

Comments

• Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Does anyone else think that the Japanese run from 2003 is absolutely choice? That whole series of shows is vintage PJ. Matt's drum sound on the Sendai boot is for some reason extra resonant and powerful, and this show features the beefiest version of Insignificance ever played and a really moving Immortality. The Osaka setlist is low on greatest hits and high on All or None, and the order of the songs is odd but works well. Tokyo is more of a greatest hits show but it works in combination with the other four. Freaking great run of shows. I'd take these five to a desert island.
    These were the best sounding boots of the tour to me. What they don't have is really noisy crowds behind them which makes the atmosphere a little surreal at times but the setlists are really good and they've not played a Release as good as the Tokyo version since and probably hadn't since Fox Theatre 94. Sendai's Immortality was really memorable indeed. I'd like to choose my own desert island top 5 but if you left me with these 5 I'd have a really nice stay there! :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    I actually like immortality from nagayo a lot more than sendais version. And the improv jam right before it was something out of this planet.....

Wow I miss those improvs
  • Options
    JW42505 wrote:
    I actually like immortality from nagayo a lot more than sendais version. And the improv jam right before it was something out of this planet.....

Wow I miss those improvs

^me too. the mfc>improv>immortality is the sickness. Easily my faovrite immortality of all time. It may not be a shredfest, but Stone and Mike are locked in and Stone's acoustic sounds so good here.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    Zagreb 06 has jumped to the top of my charts today. The 1st encore of Thin Air, Thumbing My Way, All Or None, Black, Wasted Reprise and Betterman is one of the best ever. The extended intro to Severed Hand at the start builds really well and I love the way the setlist flows. Great crowd too. I think I'd only listened to this once or twice but it'll get more love fom now. :D To the OP, I love your thread by the way! The boots forum on pearljambootlegs.org is pretty poor. :(

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    Zagreb 06 has jumped to the top of my charts today. The 1st encore of Thin Air, Thumbing My Way, All Or None, Black, Wasted Reprise and Betterman is one of the best ever. The extended intro to Severed Hand at the start builds really well and I love the way the setlist flows. Great crowd too. I think I'd only listened to this once or twice but it'll get more love fom now. :D To the OP, I love your thread by the way! The boots forum on pearljambootlegs.org is pretty poor. :(

Thanks! Glad the thread took off. I just wanted a place where people could get some recs of shows they might not have otherwise sought out.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    veddertown wrote:

that is a great show....2006 was a great year for them...best year ever for black, so many great versions..prob 9 out of my 10 fav blacks of all time are from 2006.
  • Options
    JW42505 wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

that is a great show....2006 was a great year for them...best year ever for black, so many great versions..prob 9 out of my 10 fav blacks of all time are from 2006.
    I hear the 06 tour getting slated from time to time but there were so many good shows. Just the Euro shows alone are a great collection and the singing from the audiences was so loud at some shows. I couldn't even pick a top 3 from them. Then there's so many good shows from the US and Australia.... the OP makes the theme of this thread very hard to stick to!! :D

• Options
    Been listening to this show today and it's an absolute gem.. :D

05/16/06 – United Center, Chicago, IL, USA
    set: Release, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Comatose, Given To Fly, Low Light, Corduroy, I’m Open, I Got Shit, Even Flow, Unemployable, Daughter/(W.M.A.), Present Tense, Do The Evolution, Jeremy, Save You, Porch
    first encore: You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Better Man, Come Back, State of Love and Trust, Black, Alive
    second encore: Go, Blood/(Atomic Dog), Indifference, Baba O’Riley, Yellow Ledbetter
    TFT Notes: The house lights go down and the band hits the stage at 8:45 PM to “Master/Slave” entrance music. During “Release”, Ed sang “Oh dear John” in place of “Oh dear Dad”. The crowd singing was so loud during the first chorus during “release me”, that Ed took a step back and leaned his head back, overwhelmed. “Worldwide Suicide” featured animated Mike split-jumps and several long strings of light bulb-sized crackling, lights hanging from the stage lighting rafters. For “Severed Hand” Ed gestured his flat hand above his head to animate “the room”s taller now”; lasers beamed in a circle pattern from the stage to the top rear seats of the arena, green circles of light searchlighting on the crowd. Ed says “can’t talk now, got work to do” before “Comatose” and Mike plays the solo behind his head. Ed tells the crowd after that he’s “starting to feel United”, mentioning that “a lot of incredible things have happened under this roof” and that he was “honored to play this building”, home of many Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls championships. He said he “did some research, and the roof weighs 230 metric tons” and that “with your help we can raise it with you tonight.” Mike was physically all over the place during the solo in “Even Flow”, at one point grinding with his amp stack so animatedly that it almost knocked over. Ed counted the crowd in with his fingers, “1,2,3,4″ for the final chorus of “Even Flow”, using hand gestures to ensure they got the words – hand away from himself for “chases them away”, index finger to lips for “whispering hands”. Ed introduced the crowd to a man in the front row wearing a Mother Love Bone T-Shirt who was at the first show they played. He asked about his girlfriend, who is now the man’s wife and he dedicated a song to him, telling the crowd that this guy deserved to be front and center. Ed introduces “Daughter” by saying this next song is called “Thank Heaven for Little Girls”. During the “W.M.A” tag, Ed sings “Texas son” instead of “American”, “Up his nose/it comes right off” instead of “dirty his hands…”, and “President” instead of “police man”. After the song he comments that the many sports commemorative flags hanging from the rafters may be dampening the sound – particularly a Jordan jersey retirement banner – and that it should be taken down, and that he would gladly store it in his suitcase. Ed backed up from the mic and let the vocal crowd sing the first chorus of “Present Tense”; Mike again grinded with his amp stack. On “Do The Evolution”, Ed sang “Thrift Store, Thrift Store”, pulling on his T-shirt and gesturing to his pants after “admire my clothes”. After “2010 watch it go to fire” Ed sang “don’t let it.” Ed calls out a fan “Rob” in the front row (center) who came to one of PJ’s earliest shows in Chicago with “a Mother Love Bone shirt and a pair of glasses”. Ed says that he’s got a different pair of glasses and remembered he used to go to shows with his girlfriend. Ed sees his non-female companion for this show and jokes that “he’s married an older man”. Watery circles of white light bathe the crowd in the back of the house in swirls during “Jeremy”, and a red light shines on Jeff as he plays the song out. Mike tags “War Pigs” in “Porch” (later again in “Alive”) and Ed sang the final verse of “Porch” on top of the speaker stack on Mike’s side of the stage. Off at 10:20 PM, back on 10:23 PM. Before “You Got To Hide Your Love Away”, Ed spoke of how United Center was “like no other place”, and while he was proud to be in a band from Seattle, he’d always be a kid from Chicago, for better or worse – “I think it’s better”. He encouraged the crowd to sing by speaking of “our Uncle Neil” Young using a 100-piece choir on his latest Living with War, and that “you all could blow 100 pieces away”. After the long held note on that last chorus of “Better Man”, Ed went over to play the guitar breakdown with Mike, leaning down, putting the top of his head against Mike’s chest. The crackled mirror ball was spotlighted near the end of “Alive”; the extended end of the song featured Ed swinging his mic repeatedly, and then collapsing to fall flat on his back. Encore break at 11:00 PM, back on three minutes later. Ed thanked the crowd, and the band gave them a round of applause. “Go” featured a barrage of lasers shooting out from a bank of effects in front of the monitors as well as behind Matt. On “Indifference”, Ed stepped back quickly to let the crowd sing “I will scream my lungs out “til it fills this room”. During “Baba O’Riley”, Ed put his fist through on tambourine and broke the other over his head, giving them to a guy in row 3, and to a fellow in the front row who had an avocado drawn on the top of his bald head.

• Options
    veddertown wrote:
    JW42505 wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

I hear the 06 tour getting slated from time to time but there were so many good shows. Just the Euro shows alone are a great collection and the singing from the audiences was so loud at some shows. I couldn't even pick a top 3 from them. Then there's so many good shows from the US and Australia.... the OP makes the theme of this thread very hard to stick to!! :D

i think the reason the 2006 tour gets shit is because the US tour was very subpar. Yeah the shows were fun, but Europe and Australia is when they really starting putting together creative sets and killing it. I think Hartford '06 might be the worst PJ show i've ever been to.
  • Options
    not to hijack this thread or anything....

i'd like some info on the shows that have the band at its bluesy best?
    08/21/09 toronto gets off to a strong start with 'of the girl'...love the way these guys get the blues!!

thanks in advance!

the 05/02/03 buffalo show was tremendous! made up for the 2.5hr wait at the US border.....
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    not to hijack this thread or anything....

i'd like some info on the shows that have the band at its bluesy best?
    08/21/09 toronto gets off to a strong start with 'of the girl'...love the way these guys get the blues!!

thanks in advance!

the 05/02/03 buffalo show was tremendous! made up for the 2.5hr wait at the US border.....

definitely check out Katowice 2000. Nice little opening of Release>OTG>Thin Air>Sleight of Hand.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    How about Seattle 2000?...also...I REALLY *Liked* the Versions of "Even Flow" and "Porch" they did on the 2003 Tour!...:)
  • Options
    definitely check out Katowice 2000. Nice little opening of Release>OTG>Thin Air>Sleight of Hand.

i will! thanks!
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe