Does anyone else here find it fucking cool that......

B MerksB Merks Posts: 209
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Eddie dedicated Rise to my mom at his Philly night 2 solo show? I to this day cannot stop thinking about it - My brother and I met Ed before the show and told him how much the song Rise meant to us (Stand Up For Cancer) and Ed started asking us who we were and where we were from and asked us our names and then my moms name. Thought that part of the night would be the best memory I would ever have of PJ and ED. Well We were mistaken - He dedicated Rise to my Mom "Susan" who died of a 8 yr batle with cancer about a year earlier! He didnt have to do that - he could have just said fuck those two guys i am not gonna concentrate on worrying about remembering a name from 4pm. But he did remember and he did dedicate it without us even asking. Just wanted to throw that out there and just remind u all just how lucky we are to have Ed and this band! We can complain that the site crashes and that we dont have the Christmas Vinyl or the Philly Boots - but really stop the bitching - these guys really do care and I am living proof of that! Just want to say HI to all the friends we made in Philly at the Solo Shows and again at the Spectrum Finale! Even though my brio and i are from NYC (Long Island) you Philly Folk are so cool Fucks! See you all at MSG 1 & 2 (sorry the site worked great for me)

Thanks for Listening!

Brian
Brian Merkle
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,320
    Great story, thanks for sharing.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    soooooooooooooo cool
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • great story. sorry for your loss. i agree with what you say about the bitching.the band cares in more ways than giving us bootlegs, and a good website
  • morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    Great story, thanks for sharing.

+1
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    +1
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Awesome story :thumbup: You're right, we are very lucky.

Sorry for your loss of your mother though :(
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • I find it fucking cool!
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,114
    that 2nd night in Philly with Mr EV was a very special night indeed. More than you can ever imagine
  • Sorry for your loss... that is WAY cool of the band!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    it was very thoughtful of Eddie
    he appreciates women and Moms very much
    I am sorry for the loss of your Mother. It does put all life's trivial stuff in perspective.
    Be strong and be happy
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    It's great to have such a good memory.

Sorry for your loss.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    How did you guys get to meet Ed? :?:
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • first of all...my sincerest condolences!

second of all...Ed's the fucking man!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    that's awesome. they all seem like real class acts. sorry for your loss.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ZidaneZidane Posts: 362
    So sorry to hear about your loss, my sympathies.

Also, it's great to hear stories like that. I never met Eddie or any of the guys. Actually, I don't know what I would tell them...! But it's nice to see that they are so approachable and that they really do care. And you're right, all the crap about the site crashing and the tickets and all... It's nothing compared to so many things that happen in our lives.

Great post! I don't write too often but I had to mention something about your story!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    very bittersweet but awesome.
    Puts things in perspective doesn’t it? –to readers of this thread.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Wow! I love that story. Thanks for sharing.

RIP Susan
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    very sorry for your loss.

that is fucking cool that Ed did that for sure.

thanks for sharing.

-steve
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    First, great post and sorry for your loss.
    stoneg wrote:
    How did you guys get to meet Ed? :?:

I'm not sure how they met him, but at Philly there was this bar alot of us went to down the alley, about a block up from the Tower Theatre. Ed's busses were parked in the alley. Kinda cool to walk out of the bar and know Ed was right there.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Ed is a great guy. I have a friend, who's friend has Kids that go to school with Eddie's kids. They had their school auction a couple weeks ago and ed showed up with Jack Johnson's Uke. He played Soon Forget for the crowd at the auction and then autographed the Uke. It raised 7K for the school that night during the auction. I actually have a video of it, but can't post it.

I'm sure there are countless stories like this that we never hear about him and other members of this great band.
    Gorge
  • B MerksB Merks Posts: 209
    we meet him outside behind the Theatre where his bus was parked - he come over to talk to about 7 of us and stayed a good 5 minutes (even though it felt like a hour) Thanks to you all who commented on this - we all know PJ are classy but the fans are just as great!
    Brian Merkle
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    cool story

sorry for your loss
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Good on ya man. Great story.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • It was a pretty amazing night.. I am the brother of the guy who wrote this post.. When Eddie dedicated the song to my mother it was an amazing feeling.. So many emotions were going through our minds.. Excitement, sadness and just being totally suprised in the fact that a celebrity and an idol would do something so nice and from the heart.. After the dedication we were just so happy that we decided to keep drinking beer.. hahaha.. At the end of the night we went back to hotel and talked ABOUT HOW COOL IT WAS FOR SOMEONE TO TRULY CARE ABOUT TWO BROTHERS WHO HAD A REALLY TOUGH LOSS OF A MOTHER WHO THEY LOVED MORE THAN ANYTHING... So thanks ED for the dedication, the experience and the HANGOVER!!! And thank you to the Pearl Jam family for the response, your thoughts and kind words about my mother.. Everybody should 'RISE UP" to cancer... RIP MOM WE love you...
  • DollarDollar Posts: 242
    Guys,very sorry for your loss. Your story shows why all of us love this band. Hope to run into you guys at MSG 1 & 2. God Bless!
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    BM45084 wrote:
    Eddie dedicated Rise to my mom at his Philly night 2 solo show? I to this day cannot stop thinking about it - My brother and I met Ed before the show and told him how much the song Rise meant to us (Stand Up For Cancer) and Ed started asking us who we were and where we were from and asked us our names and then my moms name. Thought that part of the night would be the best memory I would ever have of PJ and ED. Well We were mistaken - He dedicated Rise to my Mom "Susan" who died of a 8 yr batle with cancer about a year earlier! He didnt have to do that - he could have just said fuck those two guys i am not gonna concentrate on worrying about remembering a name from 4pm. But he did remember and he did dedicate it without us even asking. Just wanted to throw that out there and just remind u all just how lucky we are to have Ed and this band! We can complain that the site crashes and that we dont have the Christmas Vinyl or the Philly Boots - but really stop the bitching - these guys really do care and I am living proof of that! Just want to say HI to all the friends we made in Philly at the Solo Shows and again at the Spectrum Finale! Even though my brio and i are from NYC (Long Island) you Philly Folk are so cool Fucks! See you all at MSG 1 & 2 (sorry the site worked great for me)

Thanks for Listening!

Brian

Great fuckin thread/ post.
  • HbudjrHbudjr Posts: 150
    I am really sorry to hear about your loss. It is really nice to see this kind of story. This kind of stuff is what makes this band stand above the rest!!

Again very sorry for your loss keep your head up and RISE!!!
    R.I.P. Susan
    8/23/2009- Chicago- United Center
    5/6/2010- Columbus- Nationwide Arena
    6/26/2011- Detroit- Fox Theater- EV Solo
    9/22/2012- Atlanta- Piedmont Park
    10/11/2013- Pittsburgh - Consol Energy Center
    11/26/2013 - Oakland - Oracle Arena
    10/1/2014 - Cincinnati - US Bank Arena
    10/16/2014 - Detroit - Joe Lewis Arena
    4/26/2016 - Lexington - Rupp Arena (Hometown Show)
    8/20/2016 - Chicago - Wrigley Field
  • Hbudjr wrote:
    I am really sorry to hear about your loss. It is really nice to see this kind of story. This kind of stuff is what makes this band stand above the rest!!

Again very sorry for your loss keep your head up and RISE!!!
    R.I.P. Susan
    +1
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    BM45084 wrote:
    He didnt have to do that - he could have just said fuck those two guys i am not gonna concentrate on worrying about remembering a name from 4pm. But he did remember and he did dedicate it without us even asking.

there is a reason why people are the way they are about this band. good for you and your brother. Sorry about your mom :(
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • lukinvedderlukinvedder Posts: 203
    you just made my day, thank you
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009