amongst the waves is EPIC.

2»

Comments

• usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    jesus crackers i love this song
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    MrSmith wrote:
    Stone was probably sitting around thinking "well its been nearly twenty years, i guess i'll write another Ten era masterpiece. lets see. i'll just add a killer rif here, and let Mike add his usual face melting solo at the end. perfect!"

then Ed came in and said "wow thats great. i just wrote another song about surfing this would go great with."

Stone says, "another fucking surf song? wasnt Big Wave awful enough?"

Ed says, " yeah man! i got tons of them. but me and Boom were talking and this song probably needs to be more poppy sounding, so we'll need to smooth it out. no hard edges. and tell Mike to cut the solo down. who listens to guitar solos anymore, anyway?"

Stone says, "well, FUCK".

and so the world would have to wait again for Ten part 2.

If you think ATW is actually about surfing ... I have no idea what to tell you.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Oh, look. Mr Smith doesn't like something. I'm shocked. ;)
    i dont have to $%#@! impress you!

:mrgreen:
  • MrSmith wrote:
    Stone was probably sitting around thinking "well its been nearly twenty years, i guess i'll write another Ten era masterpiece. lets see. i'll just add a killer rif here, and let Mike add his usual face melting solo at the end. perfect!"

then Ed came in and said "wow thats great. i just wrote another song about surfing this would go great with."

Ed says, " yeah man! i got tons of them. but me and Boom were talking and this song probably needs to be more poppy sounding, so we'll need to smooth it out. no hard edges. and tell Mike to cut the solo down. who listens to guitar solos anymore, anyway?"

it might as well be. lets go swim tonight, darlin'!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    MrSmith wrote:
    it might as well be. lets go swim tonight, darlin'!

"Love ain't love until you give it up" might be one of the best lyrics Ed has ever put to paper. That's the summation of the song. It has nothing to do with either swimming or surfing.

But thanks for playin' ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    MrSmith wrote:

it's a great tune, but not up there with Black, ALive..

I think i get it though, and I do think the analogies are awesome too, slightofjeff
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • AP135303AP135303 Posts: 39
    MrSmith wrote:

Love this :lol:
  • This song is amazing...the journey that this song takes you on mirrors the journey that Given To Fly also takes you on....it is epic. Best song off the album

+ UNTHOUGHT KNOWN
    From Montevideo, Uruguay.
  • Gotta agree with Mr. Smith on this. I was initially intrigued when the 30 sec teasers came out before the album was released. But, when I heard this the first time, I was definitely underwhelmed. Its an okay song, I don't skip it when I listen to BS. But, it just seems like a watered down version of Alive/Given To Fly. It just doesn't reach the heights of either of those songs as some here may suggest. And, Ed's continual use of surfing metaphors do come across as a bit cheesy to me on this song.

While I don't think they were striving for anything EPIC, I just cannot liken this song to any of their greats. Honestly, I think this song would've been much stronger if Ed wrote completely different lyrics for it and he was able to make it soar. ATW kind of builds, but then just flattens out IMO. And, to the poster who said Long Road is just a song that can be listened to over and over again - I'm totally with you on that. ATW doesn't hold a candle to that song.
  • but im glad some people like it! :)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    its a pretty song. i like it.
  • No WayNo Way Posts: 39
    I like ATW. It's got that classic PJ sound. But it's OK if EVERYONE doesn't like it as much as I do. :D
    I just need someone to be there for . . . me
    I just want someone to be there for . . .
  • NomadCDNNomadCDN Posts: 18
    Backspacer could have been an amazing companion to ten, so much potential.

Smiths analysis of what happened is probably bang on.

Ed needs to quit smoking, care for his voice box, and let stone, mike, and Jeff write some ROCK music.

Force of nature is a u2 song. Yuck.

I'm a big amongst the waves fan because it has lots of live potential. It was mixed too tame on the album for the band to not let mike do it justice at a live show.

With that being said "better loud than too late" is a lyric that will stick with me for a long time. Possibly even wind up as a tattoo.

Lay off the cigs Ed. Nothing good will come from that.
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,802
    MrSmith wrote:

IT IS ABOUT SURFING...

Surfing relationships... :):)
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • smobeesmobee Posts: 178
    This has been one of my favorites from BS, but to put it in the same class as Alive or Black? Gonna give the 3 a listen and see what I think.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    MrSmith wrote:

Actually.. in an interview, Ed said it was written about his love for surfing.. no joke. Lyrics make it open for interpretation.
  • lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
    it'll make a good bathroom brake at the msg shows.
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • andrewbandrewb Posts: 488
    This is my favorite song on Backspacer but they have yet to perform it to even half of its potential at any show yet. Eddie has a hard time singing this one live for some reason and Mike's solo has never been as fluid as it is on the studio. Its a shame. Great tune though
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • NomadCDN wrote:
    Force of nature is a u2 song. Yuck.
    you got that right.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I hope this song reaches EPIC proportions @ MSG this go around.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life