amongst the waves is EPIC.

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Like Alive. Like Jeremy. Like Black. The classic shit they can write in their sleep.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    'Tis true.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• You are so right! Love that song. Great song on a GREAT album. Yeah, I said it! :lol:
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • EPIC FAIL!

Ten rules, ATW is but a pale, distant imitation

bwahahahhahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

save the tears that are waterfallin', i cant stand this song, darlin'!
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,802
    I like the solos that are placed in just at the right times.

Awesome and chicks dig it too :)
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    One of my favorites on BS
  • Arocker28Arocker28 Posts: 60
    one of my least favorite on BS, and that comparison of songs is just ridiculous.
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    Like Alive. Like Jeremy. Like Black. The classic shit they can write in their sleep.

I don't love it but it's a good song!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    It was instantly my fave on the album.
    "It's all happening"
  • I like it.
    It`s the only song on Backspacer that has a good (but short) Mike solo.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    i think Force of Nature is better...but i still have much love for Amongst The Waves
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    Arocker28 wrote:
    one of my least favorite on BS, and that comparison of songs is just ridiculous.

:clap:
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850

taking_crazy_pills1.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • edited March 2010
    Stone was probably sitting around thinking "well its been nearly twenty years, i guess i'll write another Ten era masterpiece. lets see. i'll just add a killer rif here, and let Mike add his usual face melting solo at the end. perfect!"

then Ed came in and said "wow thats great. i just wrote another song about surfing this would go great with."

Stone says, "another fucking surf song? wasnt Big Wave awful enough?"

Ed says, " yeah man! i got tons of them. but me and Boom were talking and this song probably needs to be more poppy sounding, so we'll need to smooth it out. no hard edges. and tell Mike to cut the solo down. who listens to guitar solos anymore, anyway?"

Stone says, "well, FUCK".

and so the world would have to wait again for Ten part 2.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    wrong. there is only but one song that should ever be described as "epic" and that song is given to fly.

or actually it might be this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AMS3XNK9CU
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Actually, Amongst the Waves is MONKEYWRENCH.

;)
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    MrSmith wrote:
    Stone was probably sitting around thinking "well its been nearly twenty years, i guess i'll write another Ten era masterpiece. lets see. i'll just add a killer rif here, and let Mike add his usual face melting solo at the end. perfect!"

then Ed came in and said "wow thats great. i just wrote another song about surfing this would go great with."

Ed says, " yeah man! i got tons of them. but me and Boom were talking and this song probably needs to be more poppy sounding, so we'll need to smooth it out. no hard edges. and tell Mike to cut the solo down. who listens to guitar solos anymore, anyway?"

haha that was amusing :D
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Great song and it even sounds better live.
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    Great song and it even sounds better live.
    really? i like the studio version a lot but listen to the struggling live vocals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_VOnqOR5Hs
  • smarchee wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

haha that was amusing :D
    glad someone appreciates good writing around here.
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    This song is amazing...the journey that this song takes you on mirrors the journey that Given To Fly also takes you on....it is epic. Best song off the album
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • It's a great tune alright, there are alot of great tunes on BS but they just don't have that edge that some of the earlier songs have. I can never tire of hearing "long road" to me it's just perfection but as good as "atw" is it's not in the same league but you know what - I don't think it was ever meant to be. The band just wanted to make this kind of album in my opinion and I'm glad they did I really enjoy BS, they can always do "epic" next time or maybe this so called EP( if such a thing ever really exists) will have that little bit of missing magic.
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Not a fan of this song at all. Total skipover song for me on this album.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    Comparing ATW to Black and Alive is a crime.
    I will swallow poison
  • Niko80 wrote:
    Comparing ATW to Black and Alive is a crime.
    add comparing ATW to Given to Fly to that list.
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I love Amongst the Waves but in my opinion Unthought Known is the best song on Backspacer.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • MrSmith wrote:

:lol: Nice.
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Lyrics aside, people who can't see that this AMT is a Ten-era style Pearl Jam song, would most likely also not like a few songs off Ten (lyrical content aside) if they were to hear them for the first time "today".

Amongst the Waves is hands down the closest song they've ever come releasing a Ten song sound-a-like, since of course, anything off Ten or recorded in that era. It has the Stone guitar riff, the Mike solo, the classic PJ build and the soaring Ed vocals...

...I'd be happy to agree the lyrics aren't as angsty as Ten-era subject matter... but, I'm quite content with that myself. I'm kinda sick of the debbie-downer lyrics (see Riot Act or S/T). Too much angst, seems just plain fake.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • ATW annoys me. Just bleaah!
  • inlet13 wrote:
    Lyrics aside, people who can't see that this AMT is a Ten-era style Pearl Jam song, would most likely also not like a few songs off Ten (lyrical content aside) if they were to hear them for the first time "today".

Amongst the Waves is hands down the closest song they've ever come releasing a Ten song sound-a-like, since of course, anything off Ten or recorded in that era. It has the Stone guitar riff, the Mike solo, the classic PJ build and the soaring Ed vocals...

...I'd be happy to agree the lyrics aren't as angsty as Ten-era subject matter... but, I'm quite content with that myself. I'm kinda sick of the debbie-downer lyrics (see Riot Act or S/T). Too much angst, seems just plain fake.
    oh its definitely a Ten style song, its just not a very good one. it comes off as an imitation (by some other band). its Ten-like with all the edges smoothed down to a nub.
    i dont care about angsty lyrics or whatever, but positive or negative, bad lyrics are just bad lyrics.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Oh, look. Mr Smith doesn't like something. I'm shocked. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do