PJ covering Pink Floyd

2»

Comments

• wigswigs Posts: 45
    CJMST3K wrote:
    They covered Interstellar Overdrive.

However, I TOTALLY take credit for them playing that. Back in the late 90's during the sony website "synergy" days the band asked for people to give them a list of songs they'd like to hear. At the top of the list were songs like Corduroy with like 100 votes and so on. All the way at the bottom were a few stragglers with 1 votes.

My request was for Nile Song by Pink Floyd. They didn't play it, but soon after my request they played Interstellar Overdrive from the same damn album. Too much for coincidence, me thinks.

:D

Here's "Nile Song". Wouldn't this ROCK?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPwkyGDtH0M

but the Nile Song and Interstellar Overdrive are on different records. They both ended up on Relics, but IO was originally on Piper at the Gate of Dawn and Nile Song is on More.
    not trying to be a jerk, just sayin

as for Floyd covers, Have a Cigar would be sick and I think they'd rock Fearless.
    ~Stop light plays it's part, so I would say you have a part. What's your part? Who you are. You are who, who you are~
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,668
    Big fan of their entire catelog. I would suggest 2 songs that most would know, "Wish you were here", and "Time". A more obscure personal favorite is Summer '68.

I would also suggest a cover of pink floyd covering oceans. :-)
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    MG79478 wrote:
    A more obscure personal favorite is Summer '68.)

Same here...I love this song.
    MG79478 wrote:

I could totally hear David Gilmour singing this.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    MG79478 wrote:
    A more obscure personal favorite is Summer '68.)

Same here...I love this song.
    MG79478 wrote:

I could totally hear David Gilmour singing this.

'68 is a great tune, but not for PJ to cover in my mind.

Some songs PJ could nail:

Cymbaline
    Free Four
    In There Anybody Out There? (as a segue into another song, much like Interstellar is used)
    On The Turning Away
    Astronomy Domine
    Breathe
    Wots...Uh The Deal
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Fearless.

I would fucking die, if they played that.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    wigs wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

However, I TOTALLY take credit for them playing that. Back in the late 90's during the sony website "synergy" days the band asked for people to give them a list of songs they'd like to hear. At the top of the list were songs like Corduroy with like 100 votes and so on. All the way at the bottom were a few stragglers with 1 votes.

My request was for Nile Song by Pink Floyd. They didn't play it, but soon after my request they played Interstellar Overdrive from the same damn album. Too much for coincidence, me thinks.

but the Nile Song and Interstellar Overdrive are on different records. They both ended up on Relics, but IO was originally on Piper at the Gate of Dawn and Nile Song is on More.

as for Floyd covers, Have a Cigar would be sick and I think they'd rock Fearless.

Correct that they do appear on two separate albums, but they are both on the Relics vinyl.

I had a hunch in '98 that they also owned the Relics vinyl.

Now, it's confirmed they own the Relics vinyl... and Eddie and the band look at it at eye-level at every piss break during rehearsals.

evwithrelics.jpg

ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Fearless.

I would fucking die, if they played that.

Would be a great opener.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    someday wrote:
    I think On The Turning Away would fit nicely in their setlist.
    DEFINITELY!!!
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,415
    Pearl Jam covering Run Like Hell or Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun!!!

*faints
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    On the Turning away would be unreal...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    Horos wrote:
    Dogs

Technically they've only tagged Interstellar Overdrive.

Id love to see Mike and Stone tear into this one! I would also accept Sheep or anything else off of Animals

the Fearless suggestion is also a great one.
    How about Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast! (just kidding)

Id prefer not to see any post-1980 Floyd (though Not Now John might be nice)
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Horos wrote:
    Dogs

Technically they've only tagged Interstellar Overdrive.

Dogs gets my vote for sure ! That would be flippin' AMAZING !!!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    wigs wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Yes! just like elevation622 said, And as soon as i saw this thread I thought, "FEARLESS"!

I just think Ed's style would fit that song soooo well.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    edited March 2010
    wigs wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Yes! just like elevation622 said, And as soon as i saw this thread I thought, "FEARLESS"!

I just think Ed's style would fit that song soooo well.

"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
    I think it would be killer.

And im very much in favor of "Fearless" or anything from Animals.
    If Eddie wants to take a break, "Careful with that Axe Eugene" or "One of these days" would be nice
    Post edited by NYCPJ on
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    demetrios wrote:
    Pearl Jam covering Run Like Hell or Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun!!!

*faints
    Oh my God yes to both of these!!
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Would be great if they did "One of these days". And then Stone can shout out "One of these days
    I'm going to cut you into little pieces" in his Gremmie/Cowabunga voice. I'd still be laughing a year later.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Pink Floyd is my favorite band, has been for 15+ years now. Pearl Jam is second. I would love to see PJ do a full PF cover. That said, 90% of the songs listed in here... I just can't see it working. And I think it is why we don't actually see the band actually do a full cover- because they know it just wouldn't work. Who covers work for them. Neil Young covers work for them. Pink Floyd covers wouldn't, for the most part. I *could* see them doing Fearless. That is the one song in reading through this thread that actually piqued my interest. I'd be down for that.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    AndySlash wrote:
    Pink Floyd is my favorite band, has been for 15+ years now. Pearl Jam is second. I would love to see PJ do a full PF cover. That said, 90% of the songs listed in here... I just can't see it working. And I think it is why we don't actually see the band actually do a full cover- because they know it just wouldn't work. Who covers work for them. Neil Young covers work for them. Pink Floyd covers wouldn't, for the most part. I *could* see them doing Fearless. That is the one song in reading through this thread that actually piqued my interest. I'd be down for that.

Fearless is one I think they should stay away from. No singer to do the sweet smooth vox. I think it's kinda too country-ish and laidback too.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    If Ed tried, I think he would do OK with it. The vocals are definitely the one thing that could make it or break it, though. I think the band could do the music just fine, if Matt played it lazy enough... he tends to push, where he'd need to play behind the beat a bit.
  • inthefleshintheflesh Posts: 170
    My username as a show opener
    >

I would be floor'd
    was it?....
  • They should open a show with Be Careful With That Axe Eugene.
  • Can't believe no one has mentioned "Comfortably Numb" yet? In place of YB at a couple shows for a last encore? House lights on, everyone singing the chorus... "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii have become, Comfortably Numb". Seems like it would be cool anyways......
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Can't believe no one has mentioned "Comfortably Numb" yet? In place of YB at a couple shows for a last encore? House lights on, everyone singing the chorus... "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii have become, Comfortably Numb". Seems like it would be cool anyways......

that was one of my Wall selections...if they didn't do the entire album

awesome song
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg