creation by evolution

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
God said let there be light and 14 billions years later, here we all are. At what point of our evolution did we cease to be soulless? When did God insert the soul? At what point did humans, having mastered the primal needs of food and shelter, have enough of a grasp on good and evil to be responsible for our eternal souls? At what point of our physical evolution did God sit back and say, "OK, close enough. Here is a soul. Now go do your best or worst, I'll see you when it's all over, and we'll chat"?
I mean really. I would like to know?
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Who or what is this "God" thingamajiggy you keep talking about?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    Don't children believe that every living thing or even such things as stones have a soul? I like that thought. Most religions suck because they are so anthropocentric. If there's a God I'm sure he cares about more than just homo sapiens.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    edited March 2010
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Who or what is this "God" thingamajiggy you keep talking about?
    I have ridden my firm belief in evolution of all, beginning with the universe(s) to where I just have to ask from where did that pin point of alpha come? I only say god because I know of no other term for it, whatever "it" is. Would I say god is a woman - hell no. Evolution has served women no better than creation. But it all came from somewhere, and the vastness of it all has not even begun to be realized.
    Post edited by mysticweed on

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    July 17th 2,652,266 B.C. I'm suprised you didn't know that
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    i dont know
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    i need to smoke something pretty serious before i could answer this question.

in my sober state i'll guess.........probably the time that humans invented the concept of organised religion. That's when it all went tits-up.
    JordyWordy wrote:

in my sober state i'll guess.........probably the time that humans invented the concept of organised religion. That's when it all went tits-up.
    JW, I have NO use for organized religion. Not one person, group of people, planet, galaxy, or even universe can lay claim to god, NOT ONE.

• JordyWordy wrote:

Well said, Jordy :)

I was just sitting back thinking everybody must be high today but me with all the topics going around. :lol:
  • The answer: someone needs to poke your nose and say "boop"
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    lettinggo wrote:
    JordyWordy wrote:

JW, I have NO use for organized religion. Not one person, group of people, planet, galaxy, or even universe can lay claim to god, NOT ONE.

well that's nice and open minded....

Why can't someone have blind faith? If someone wants to believe and develop a personal connection with a higher power why not let them?

Why can't someone have blind faith? If someone wants to believe and develop a personal connection with a higher power why not let them?

I'm pretty sure you already know this, but just because someone believes in something with all their heart, that doesn't make it true. Every single one of us can "lay claim" to God. It amounts to jack and shit, but we can still do it.

eyedclaar wrote:

I'm pretty sure you already know this, but just because someone believes in something with all their heart, that doesn't make it true. Every single one of us can "lay claim" to God. It amounts to jack and shit, but we can still do it.

well it amounts to jack and shit to you, but if it amounts to something material to someone else...then what's the problem?

If religion builds and develops their spirit/moral reasoning in a healthy manner....then I say good for them.
    lettinggo wrote:
    JordyWordy wrote:

Have all the faith you want, I too believe in a higher power. Just do not tell me that your way is the only way.

I agree with that...Religion is a personal thing, that should stay personal and can be shared with others but not imposed on others.

but this reasoning should go for all theories; including atheism and people who believe purely in science.
    eyedclaar wrote:

well it amounts to jack and shit to you, but if it amounts to something material to someone else...then what's the problem?

If religion builds and develops their spirit/moral reasoning in a healthy manner....then I say good for them.

Allow me to butcher a batman quote, if I may. I don't give a fuck what man-made religion you subscribe to, it's what you do that defines you. If you need to believe in a big white beard in the sky in order to do the right thing, then go for it. Still doesn't make it real.

but saying that it's not real is, in my opinion, the equivilent of saying that science is the only way you can approach something like this.

which is contradictory to saying you can't impose and beliefs on another person.

is reality the same in the science world versus the world of blind faith and spirituality?

look at the economy; it's something that is entirely created by human theories and only exists through blind faith, yet on a global scale a large majority of people believe in its existence even though there's no science that can prove it.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    OP, it kinda sounds like you're mixing together two schools of thought. At least in the pure form, creationists believe the earth is only like 5,000 years old.
    gabers wrote:
    OP, it kinda sounds like you're mixing together two schools of thought. At least in the pure form, creationists believe the earth is only like 5,000 years old.

Creation by evolution took +/- 14 billion years. Creationists need to open their minds to science. I asked my southern baptist mother her opinion of this 35 years ago and she said simply that god's days must be longer than ours. Maybe this simple logic could help some creationists ease their way into accepting the real time wonder of it fucking all.

• yellowporchyellowporch Posts: 510
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Allow me to butcher a batman quote, if I may. I don't give a fuck what man-made religion you subscribe to, it's what you do that defines you. If you need to believe in a big white beard in the sky in order to do the right thing, then go for it. Still doesn't make it real.

I'm with you on this one.. I dont believe in god or any religion for that matter, it's YOUR life, no ones going to save you when the going gets tough, except for yourself.. the decisions one makes in life, shapes who they are and their life, i guess i just don't get the hype? i like to think I am in 100% control of what i do in my life, and i don't like making decisions based on an old book of stories.

makes much more sense to live in the present tense ;)
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

I'm with you on this one.. I dont believe in god or any religion for that matter, it's YOUR life, no ones going to save you when the going gets tough, except for yourself.. the decisions one makes in life, shapes who they are and their life, i guess i just don't get the hype? i like to think I am in 100% control of what i do in my life, and i don't like making decisions based on an old book of stories.

makes much more sense to live in the present tense ;)

I totally agree with you both! To believe blindly in something that can never be proven makes absolutely no sense to me. Once our brains mature, we can comprehend that Santa, The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy aren't real, why is god any different (IMO). I know there will be some haters who will attack me for saying that!! Really I don't care what anyone chooses to believe its personal.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Religion vs. Science, who cares..... come 12/21/2012 we're all going to cease to exist anyway. POOF! Now put that in your one hitter and smoke it.

:lol:
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
    mbangel10 wrote:
    Religion vs. Science, who cares..... come 12/21/2012 we're all going to cease to exist anyway. POOF! Now put that in your one hitter and smoke it.

2012 watch it go to fire??
    Do you, then believe all of the Mayan teachings?
    Do you, for example, believe that humans were first made of mud, then wood, then amber before the flesh, blood, and bone variety we are now?
    If so, then you can wait anxiously for 12/21/2012. I will choose not to loose any sleep over this, and trust me the bong will be dusted off to be sure.

• mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    lettinggo wrote:
    mbangel10 wrote:

2012 watch it go to fire??
    Do you, then believe all of the Mayan teachings?
    Do you, for example, believe that humans were first made of mud, then wood, then amber before the flesh, blood, and bone variety we are now?
    If so, then you can wait anxiously for 12/21/2012. I will choose not to loose any sleep over this, and trust me the bong will be dusted off to be sure.

You've just turned the one hitter into a two hitter, my friend. If I make it to a third maybe I'll ponder over those questions... unless I get the munchies first. I do have priorities.

And why do I suddenly have this song in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqV2bk_jmCY
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    tinkerbell wrote:
    . . . Santa, The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy aren't real . . .

:o :shock: NOT REAL!!!!! OMG, you've crushed my soul :cry:

:lol::lol::lol:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    just to clairify: i'm a big fan of people having personal beliefs.

But having personal beliefs is nothing to do with organised religion imo - the two can coincide, but aint the same.

someone hinted at my point earlier - different doctrines/churches/whatever all fighting and hating and waging war in the name of the same bloke/lassie/deity (or Mr. A.N. Other to u & me)......i mean, whichever arsehole set the hole thing in motion has a lot to answer for.

That and the inventor of Hello Kitty. That shit is evil.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    JordyWordy wrote:
    That and the inventor of Hello Kitty. That shit is evil.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: :twisted:
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    lettinggo wrote:
    God said let there be light and 14 billions years later, here we all are. At what point of our evolution did we cease to be soulless? When did God insert the soul? At what point did humans, having mastered the primal needs of food and shelter, have enough of a grasp on good and evil to be responsible for our eternal souls? At what point of our physical evolution did God sit back and say, "OK, close enough. Here is a soul. Now go do your best or worst, I'll see you when it's all over, and we'll chat"?
    I mean really. I would like to know?

:? my head hurts. I think its time for bed. g'night.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    tinkerbell wrote:
    . . . Santa, The Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy aren't real . . .

:o :shock: NOT REAL!!!!! OMG, you've crushed my soul :cry:

:lol::lol::lol:

it's ok dude.. at least Batman is real.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    There is some pretty close minded stuff here.

Even science takes faith in something that cannot be proven.

For example, most people would acknowledge that gravity is a concept that has been proven. But what if we woke up tomorrow and gravity doesn't exist anymore? Doesn't it take faith to believe that it will still be there?

And what's with all the comments about laying claim to God. I don't even know what that means.

And you can say what you want about religion and churches, but I know that many, many churches do a whole lot of good out in the world. Far too much good to simply be dismissed by close minded arrogance.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    know1 wrote:
    There is some pretty close minded stuff here.

Even science takes faith in something that cannot be proven.

For example, most people would acknowledge that gravity is a concept that has been proven. But what if we woke up tomorrow and gravity doesn't exist anymore? Doesn't it take faith to believe that it will still be there?

And what's with all the comments about laying claim to God. I don't even know what that means.

And you can say what you want about religion and churches, but I know that many, many churches do a whole lot of good out in the world. Far too much good to simply be dismissed by close minded arrogance.

Science takes faith in something that cannot be proven? And your example is what if gravity was no longer present?!?!? umm, WHAT? :lol:

Even if this theoretical disaster should occur, don't you think scientists would be the first to give us tha basic understanding of why it happened...not a priest, monk, or nun? that is of course after all the scientists, nuns, and Pearl Jam fans were scooped up out of the atmosphere and given velcro shoes.

Many people in this thread are stating their beliefs. nothing wrong with that last I checked. And as I agree with many people in this thread, I dont think anyone here is bashing the good that your average church, synagog, etc. does. However, I dont think you can argue that religion hasnt been the catalyst for many wars and a lot of violence. There are more than two sides to this coin, of course.

CLose minded? I don't think so, I admit that I believe Batman is real. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)