Why no set breaks / intermission?

2»

Comments

• jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Unless Mike needs an extra 5 to take care of business, leave it the way it is.
  • Not a fan of this idea at all. Are there a lot of bands out there that actually do this? I've never seen it at any of the shows I'ev been to...

It's really just a jamband thing. But Rush also does this. I love it for Phish shows, but like I said earlier for Phish it's necessary because each set is designed for a reason and usually the second set is about the big jams. Since PJ just plays their songs and doesn't improv much there is no need to regroup for too long as it would kill a lot of the energy.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • philthehip wrote:
    Not a fan of this idea at all. Are there a lot of bands out there that actually do this? I've never seen it at any of the shows I'ev been to...

I have seen alot of bands do this but they are always older bands that play sit down gigs in places that typically hold around 6000 to 7000 people. Places such as the Liverpool Phil and Rhyl Pavillion. Bands like The Moody Blues, Jon Anderson. Ray Lamontagne also uses this format sometimes. I have never seen this done at a big concert or by a rock band. Oh yer and the Eagles as said above. I think they did that in the MEN Arena Manchester

This isn't really true. It's a jamband staple and it works for that style of music well, I'm guessing THe Grateful Dead started it, but who knows. plus those shows are generally longer clocking in AT LEAST at 3 hours. I look forward to set break at Phish as the second set many times makes up for a lackluster first set where the band is disconnected and not on the same page. This is a non factor for PJ so there's no real need for it.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    philthehip wrote:
    Not a fan of this idea at all. Are there a lot of bands out there that actually do this? I've never seen it at any of the shows I'ev been to...

I have seen alot of bands do this but they are always older bands that play sit down gigs in places that typically hold around 6000 to 7000 people. Places such as the Liverpool Phil and Rhyl Pavillion. Bands like The Moody Blues, Jon Anderson. Ray Lamontagne also uses this format sometimes. I have never seen this done at a big concert or by a rock band. Oh yer and the Eagles as said above. I think they did that in the MEN Arena Manchester

This isn't really true. It's a jamband staple and it works for that style of music well, I'm guessing THe Grateful Dead started it, but who knows. plus those shows are generally longer clocking in AT LEAST at 3 hours. I look forward to set break at Phish as the second set many times makes up for a lackluster first set where the band is disconnected and not on the same page. This is a non factor for PJ so there's no real need for it.

I was more pointing out when I have seen a set break more than it being the rule. I have no idea how it started or what kind of music it is generally used but its certainly used for alot of the gigs I see from older artists. Catching their breath no doubt
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Rush does this.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    edited March 2010

Springsteen broke his shows into two sets during his younger days (1978-1992). With the break included, the shows routinely went 4 hrs. It is those shows that earned his reputation as the greatest live performer ever. The two set structure was great (and then followed by a long set of encores) and remains beloved by hard core fans. Since he reunited with the Band in 1999, he has played one long set. Interestingly, the first night he played with the Band in 1999, they were planning to take a break and he decided to skip it as the band was already getting ready to walk off for the end of the first set.

Of course, you cannot have both an opening act and an intermission during the headliner. Bruce has never had an opening act (except for 2 shows in 1995...bonus points to anyone who can name who the opening act was).
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    being in a rock concert its like having sex....u keep on....rockin..
    And you don't want too long of an intermission, or you can lose the vibe...

We're talking about concerts right?
    ofcourse we talking about concerts...u dont stop the feeling of a rock concert for have some pizza or watch the news..and in sex is the same... :)
    Exactly.. Save the pizza for after... (the concert)
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    Here's what PJ need to do next tour . . . .

Play one album in its entirety from start to finish (as to what album, well, leave it up to a fan vote or something, or do two or three nights in a row with a diff album each night), have your said "set break" for 30mins, then play 20 more songs . . . .

Done. I am there. Sold.

Just saw Our Lady Peace do this last night. It worked well.

But that is the only way PJ should be doing a "set break"....
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • nevmiles wrote:
    Here's what PJ need to do next tour . . . .

Play one album in its entirety from start to finish (as to what album, well, leave it up to a fan vote or something, or do two or three nights in a row with a diff album each night), have your said "set break" for 30mins, then play 20 more songs . . . .

Done. I am there. Sold.

Just saw Our Lady Peace do this last night. It worked well.

But that is the only way PJ should be doing a "set break"....

Were you by any chance wearing the Crash stickman hoodie? Not to be the biggest creeper on the planet but I was there both nights and definitely saw one of those in the crowd. Fantastic shows though! :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Exactly.. Save the pizza for after... (the concert)
    yepo..and during ...the concert,at.. the solos..ill say to her"why now u dont bitching?? :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • goldrush wrote:
    I don't think I've ever been to a gig that's had a set break or intermission. Do any bands actually do this?

Wilco's doing it on their current tour. It's being billed as "An Evening with Wilco". There is no opener, the first set is 15 songs long then they take a 20 minute break. They come out and play the first 6 songs of the second set acoustic, then finish out set 2 with another 9 or 10 songs electric, then they come out for a short encore. This has actually extended the number of songs they do from about 23-25 to 31. I'm seeing them friday, so I'll report back. I have seen the Tragically Hip do this too, and I like it. I don't prefer on over another,though. Pearl Jam always has a set break for me, it's called Evenflow.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    Pearl Jam always has a set break for me, it's called Evenflow.
    :lol:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • From the OP:
    Kinda of surprised that some of you have never been to a show with a set break, :?:
    or seem to think that no Rock bands do this. I would say that over half the
    shows I see have a set break. Granted most of them are jambands, but I've seen
    Tom Petty, black crowes, tragically hip, Sam roberts all include set breaks.

The guy who talks about Phish has some good points (I've been to many recent phish shows),
    but I don't think it's about strategy of songs/set. It's just basically to let the band recharge and
    let the crowd celebrate a bit, get to interact with each other, and let some more excitment build for
    the second set. How can u agrue with that? The stuff about ruining momemtum is a load of crap. A set break actually makes for a more energetic second half of a show. I love this. I think if you gave it a chance ya'll would understand were I'm coming from.

Anyone who mentioned that "it's not an opera",?? That is kind of a stupid thing to say, b/c like
    i said before many rock bands have a set break. You just haven't broadend your horizons beyond PJ yet.

I would be happy if PJ stopped having opening bands, and switched to : "An evening with" format.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Set Break???.......Ummm NO!
  • Wilco didn't actually break for an intermission last. They played a 33 song main set and one song for the encore.34 songs! It was unreal. I'd love to see "An Evening with Pearl Jam".
  • Pearl JamesPearl James Posts: 420
    You only see PJ for 2 hours when you go to a show. You have all of your life to recharge or get another beer.
  • djonesrdjonesr Posts: 73
    Yup, it really is mostly a jamband staple kind of thing for rock concerts. Of course, "club" shows traditionally have set breaks so the bar can make more money! :)

Funny, is a lot of friends I have that mostly go to club shows or jamband shows think it's weird when there isn't a long set break.

I think the jamband long setbreak thing is due to the drugs. Being at the venue for a total of 3-4 hours.... shit, you are just starting to peak around that time! LOL

I remember many grateful dead set breaks last 50 minutes or more. Of course, there was never any hurry at a GD show. The longer set break, the more visiting you got to do with old friends you never see anywhere else. It was a big social thing too.