Why no set breaks / intermission?

kataractkidkataractkid Posts: 57
edited March 2010 in The Porch
How come PJ doesn't do set breaks at live shows?, giving us a chance to recharge and giving
the band a chance to come out with some more energy for the second half of the show.
(encore break doesn't count as a set break)
The buzz and energy in the hallways and the funny shit people yell during a set break
is always a great part of a show also. Gives us a chance to get a beer without missing a song,
interact with more fans, etc...
I think PJ shows would be better with a set break.

Any thoughts? :?: Would you prefer a set break. I sure would. Even if it meant 2 or 3 less songs.
Maybe if enough people agree we can get the band to start doing it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850

Any thoughts? :?:

I dislike this idea.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • wigswigs Posts: 45
    I'd rather more songs
    besides I have NEVER run out of steam at a PJ show. If anything I want one more song when its done.
    ~Stop light plays it's part, so I would say you have a part. What's your part? Who you are. You are who, who you are~
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    I would like it... but NOT if it means 2-3 songs less.
    And since I think it would mean 2-3 songs less.... I vote NO :mrgreen:
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    It's not a Broadway show, it's a rock concert. IMO, an intermission would ruin momentum and flow of the show.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    being in a rock concert its like having sex....u keep on....rockin..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    How come PJ doesn't do set breaks at live shows?, giving us a chance to recharge and giving
    the band a chance to come out with some more energy for the second half of the show.
    The buzz and energy in the hallways and the funny shit people yell during a set break
    is always a great part of a show also. Gives us a chance to get a beer without missing a song,

Any thoughts? :?: Would you prefer a set break. I sure would. Even if it meant 2 or 3 less songs.

Well i don't think they could keep doing that everynight since they would have to pay the venues more to stay in the bulding longer, it anit an opera were going to see, its's a Rock concert!!!!! :lol:
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Sorry but I would hate that. A sitdown gig is fine with a break, I see loads of shows like that but not a big rock concert. So I~ vote NO
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157

Ha ha Dimitris! :lol:
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • being in a rock concert its like having sex....u keep on....rockin..
    You DIDN'T just say that.... oh... you actually did... :oops:
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    ummm no
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Save Me wrote:
    It's not a Broadway show, it's a rock concert. IMO, an intermission would ruin momentum and flow of the show.
    kinda like what the band has always done with the encore breaks
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I see what you're saying here OP, but it's not like a jamband concert where the first set is just songs and a warmup and the second set is where faces are melted with jams. Phish is my favorite band so I can see why you dig the setbreak idea. PJ just plays their songs with little to no jamming. Extended solos on Black or Even Flow don't really count. Thus there's no need for PJ to kill their momentum by stopping for a half hour to regroup. I'd rather a supercharged show for 2 to 2 1/2 hours with 5 minute encore breaks.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
    metsfan wrote:
    Save Me wrote:

Um no, a quick break before an Encore is pretty much a concert staple and they're shorter in time compared to an intermission.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    More, not less!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    And you don't want too long of an intermission, or you can lose the vibe...

We're talking about concerts right?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Save Me wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Save Me wrote:

Um no, a quick break before an Encore is pretty much a concert staple and they're shorter in time compared to an intermission.
    I totally misunderstood what the op wants. My bad
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191

I realize you disagree, but I consider the first encore break to be a set break. Is it really an encore when they come back and do a half dozen songs and then take another break before the final song(s) (the real encore)? I think they could have that break earlier in the show then another break before the final encore, which is the way Phish concerts are set up. However, they typically start playing earlier (no opening act) and have a longer break between sets. I wouldn't want Pearl Jam to stop having opening acts or play less songs just to squeeze in an extra break.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549

ofcourse we talking about concerts...u dont stop the feeling of a rock concert for have some pizza or watch the news..and in sex is the same... :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    metsfan wrote:
    Save Me wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

I totally misunderstood what the op wants. My bad

No prob, bro.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    How come PJ doesn't do set breaks at live shows?,

'Cause its not a ballet, play or opera (and I like all those things). Intermissions are so people can take breaks/get drinks between so they will shut the fuck up and sit quietly during those types of performances. No point in trying that at a PJ show where people are gonna be raucous anyway. Can you imagine it? Some guy comes on the speaker just after RVM ended and seriously intones 'there will now be a 20 minute intermission' :lol:
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977

:mrgreen:
    well said....;)

i vote no for setbreaks. if we all got a 'break' at the same time....beer lines...restroom lines....would be INSANE, so to me, serves no purpose. i don't leave the show for any reason, so i don't need a break. thanks tho. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• i always thought the first encore wasnt really an encore. just second set.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    Not a fan of this idea at all. Are there a lot of bands out there that actually do this? I've never seen it at any of the shows I'ev been to...
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    worst

idea

ever
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I don't think I've ever been to a gig that's had a set break or intermission. Do any bands actually do this?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    reading this on the day i have confirmed hair loss i really feel old. i remember being at an eagles show making fun of everyone because they needed a break. old bastards.
    if pj does this i quit... life that is
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984

ofcourse we talking about concerts...u dont stop the feeling of a rock concert for have some pizza or watch the news..and in sex is the same... :)

Just make sure you're not ready to finish up before the band is
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    goldrush wrote:
    I don't think I've ever been to a gig that's had a set break or intermission. Do any bands actually do this?
    just to clarify. the eagles do this
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Not a fan of this idea at all. Are there a lot of bands out there that actually do this? I've never seen it at any of the shows I'ev been to...

I have seen alot of bands do this but they are always older bands that play sit down gigs in places that typically hold around 6000 to 7000 people. Places such as the Liverpool Phil and Rhyl Pavillion. Bands like The Moody Blues, Jon Anderson. Ray Lamontagne also uses this format sometimes. I have never seen this done at a big concert or by a rock band. Oh yer and the Eagles as said above. I think they did that in the MEN Arena Manchester
  • I really, honestly thought I had heard it all...
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .