Comments

• chadwick wrote:
    it is beyond that.
    being or not being is so complex there are no answers
    there are no questions

everything is nothing and nothing is everything
    everything is more than everything
    and more is incomprehensible
    incomprehensibleness does not exist yet lives and died every millisecond yet time implodes

go figure

dude, put down the bong. :D

that line of thinking can make you go insane. Analytical epistemology (look it up if you want) is a good way to approach these sorts of questions.

Oh, and if YOU are responsible for making up me, him and everything else in the universe... GREAT job with Iraq, Afghanistan, world hunger and so forth. You really did a great job with that. :D
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I will let you in on a little secret: The universe is contained within my cranium and you're all figments of my imagination.
    You're probably right.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc
    If a tree falls in the forest.....

Descartes solved this problem hundreds of years ago with a simple statement:

"I think therefore I am"

so I exist, you exist, everyone exists... no one is just "imaginary"
    right. I don't question our existence...but "I am......what?"
    Do we each define our own 'what'? Do we exist beyond the physical realm, beyond our own observations?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:
    it is beyond that.
    being or not being is so complex there are no answers
    there are no questions

everything is nothing and nothing is everything
    everything is more than everything
    and more is incomprehensible
    incomprehensibleness does not exist yet lives and died every millisecond yet time implodes

go figure

dude, put down the bong. :D

that line of thinking can make you go insane. Analytical epistemology (look it up if you want) is a good way to approach these sorts of questions.

Oh, and if YOU are responsible for making up me, him and everything else in the universe... GREAT job with Iraq, Afghanistan, world hunger and so forth. You really did a great job with that. :D

the universe invented itself
    i did nothing
    all i have ever done was be born and go.......

in fact i would not be surprised @ all if i were already extinct off the face of this universe
    or a dream in unlost dog's being
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    right. I don't question our existence...but "I am......what?"
    Do we each define our own 'what'? Do we exist beyond the physical realm, beyond our own observations?

when i look back at myself in the mirror with a belly full of whiskey and an overnight shadow.....I tend to think that the image staring back at me...exists...;)
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • right. I don't question our existence...but "I am......what?"

WHAT you are is easy; (talking about myself)... I am a human, a father, a son, a business manager, a brother, a musician, a runner, a Pearl Jam aficionado, etc etc. Labels of all sorts work here.

WHO you are is a much more difficult question, and the question I think you intended to ask. Who am I now? I mean NOW now. Like at this moment. I’m a different person than I was in the previous moment and a very different person than I will be years from now. So now is all there is and I’m constantly asking myself “who am I now?” I am not my ego. I am not my desires, my possessions, my assets, or my defects.

I am... just here. Now. In this moment. That is all there is. Enjoy it because everything else is ONLY a model created by my mind for explaining the here and now. 99.9999% of the previous models thought by you or anyone else have been proven to be wrong by rational and scientific thought... so my advice would be to just enjoy who you are in any given moment because you will wake up very soon and realize that WHO YOU ARE isn't going to last much longer.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • chadwick wrote:
    i did nothing

in fact i would not be surprised @ all if i were already extinct off the face of this universe

Ou contrair.... The universe is created by MAN. Thousands of years ago man had no thought of anything external to what he could see, hear, etc. Then, man created the arts, culture, science, logic... and with these tools he created the "universe" as known to man. What we define as "the universe" changes with a blink of an eye. In a few decades I guarantee the universe will be "known" to be different that it is today. Think about it.... just a few decades ago the universe was "known" to be empty space and matter. Now we know that it is mostly anti-matter and dark energy and matter as we know it is just slowly vibrating energy. Who knows what man will think of next and what "universe" we will create. The "real" reality, the single concrete absolute reality of everything (the universe as we call it)... DOES NOT EXIST.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Great comparison to where we are on the scale of the universe...from string theory to....?
    After the program loads, just click and drag the blue square up or down...pretty cool.

http://primaxstudio.com/stuff/scale_of_universe/
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I will let you in on a little secret: The universe is contained within my cranium and you're all figments of my imagination.
    You're probably right.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc
    If a tree falls in the forest.....

Descartes solved this problem hundreds of years ago with a simple statement:

"I think therefore I am"

so I exist, you exist, everyone exists... no one is just "imaginary"

Whew! I'm glad you straightened THAT one out. For a moment there, I thought it was beginning to smell like a dog head around here.

But like I said,I'm glad you straightened that out.

Or I mean Descartes did.
    But then the Moodly Blues stepped in and messed us up again with "I think, therefore I am....I think"
    Or my college sweatshirt that said "I think...therefore I party"
    chadwick wrote:
    i did nothing

Ou contrair.... The universe is created by MAN. Thousands of years ago man had no thought of anything external to what he could see, hear, etc. Then, man created the arts, culture, science, logic... and with these tools he created the "universe" as known to man. What we define as "the universe" changes with a blink of an eye. In a few decades I guarantee the universe will be "known" to be different that it is today. Think about it.... just a few decades ago the universe was "known" to be empty space and matter. Now we know that it is mostly anti-matter and dark energy and matter as we know it is just slowly vibrating energy. Who knows what man will think of next and what "universe" we will create. The "real" reality, the single concrete absolute reality of everything (the universe as we call it)... DOES NOT EXIST.

NOT created by man, not THOUGHT UP. The word is "discover"
  • Half Full wrote:

Theories can not be discovered.... they are "thought up." There are many theories... the caveman's universe, the early chinese universe, the greek mathematician's universe, Galileo's universe, and the rational scientist's universe, to name a few. Everyone fervently believes their model of the universe is correct... and everyone's "discovery" is eventually disproven. That includes the rational scientist's universe. To think that your model must be correct is insane if you take a serious look at the history of science and philosophy. They are all models that are indeed "thought up" by the human mind.

Sure, the sun and the stars exist, just as my hand exists in front of me. But the totality of the universe is much more complex than the human mind can ever... EVER... understand. We only have the models we that we created.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Half Full wrote:

Theories can not be discovered.... they are "thought up." There are many theories... the caveman's universe, the early chinese universe, the greek mathematician's universe, Galileo's universe, and the rational scientist's universe, to name a few. Everyone fervently believes their model of the universe is correct... and everyone's "discovery" is eventually disproven. That includes the rational scientist's universe. To think that your model must be correct is insane if you take a serious look at the history of science and philosophy. They are all models that are indeed "thought up" by the human mind.

Sure, the sun and the stars exist, just as my hand exists in front of me. But the totality of the universe is much more complex than the human mind can ever... EVER... understand. We only have the models we that we created.

but through all that, the universe we-modern man- has come to know was always in existence. ignorance of this doesnt make it less so. tis like the earth... back in the 15th century australia didnt exist for europeans, yet it was here all the time... waiting.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i remember when the world was flat
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited October 2010
    chadwick wrote:

Maybe scientists will discover one day that it is really flat.. on one of many planes of reality and that the universe warps around us.. hmmm..
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • runawayrunaway Posts: 427
    so there was darkness and
    a speed of light...
    nothing else
    the speed of light cruised
    over where Earth would be in the future...
    the speed of light keeps
    cruising and feels visions (or sees as some of you
    sees visions...)
    that is my perception of how
    God was created
    with planetary wars going on,
    I am so curious as what is
    going to happen on 12-21-20012
    A comet?
    Music is the universal language
    What's better than a cigar? Ed with a sitar
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    chadwick wrote:

Maybe scientists will discover one day that it is really is flat.. on one of many planes of reality and the universe warps around us.. hmmm..
    hmmmm 8-)
    what's at the edge of the universe?
    a wall?
  • Half Full wrote:
    a wall?

essentially, yes... on the "outside" of the universe there is no space or time. Nobody has the slightest idea what this would "look" like - it is completely outside of our ontological understanding. You or I (our bodies at least) can't go there so yeah, a wall, I guess.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Half Full wrote:
    a wall?

essentially, yes... on the "outside" of the universe there is no space or time. Nobody has the slightest idea what this would "look" like - it is completely outside of our ontological understanding. You or I (our bodies at least) can't go there so yeah, a wall, I guess.

beyond outer space is called hyper space
    the space between the unviveres and their respective outer spaces

we are in our universe
    and our universe is in us
    every element in our bodies was initialized in the big bang

evolution of the soul is
    what hurts my head now
    i do believe that humans
    created the gods
    and our very souls may have evolved as we began to fill our brains
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • lettinggo wrote:

we are in our universe

evolution of the soul is
    what hurts my head now
    i do believe that humans
    created the gods

I appreciate the new-agey perspective, but hyperspace is not what is "outside" the universe, it is a term used to describe going beyond three-dimensions into 4th and higher dimensions (within our "universe").
    lettinggo wrote:

we are in our universe

evolution of the soul is
    what hurts my head now
    i do believe that humans
    created the gods

I appreciate the new-agey perspective, but hyperspace is not what is "outside" the universe, it is a term used to describe going beyond three-dimensions into 4th and higher dimensions (within our "universe").

ok
    not the way i remember it
    and i am far from new-agey, btw
    when the universe was determined to be finite
    the term for what was beyond our universe was called
    hyper space or so i thought
    (but i haven't been a genius since menopause)

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    this topic always gives me a headache. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by mysticweed on

• 8181 Posts: 58,276