Which PJ member has written the best music?

jammingwhileIcanjammingwhileIcan Posts: 89
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I am talking just music not lyrics ( eddie is clearly a poet). Stone owned TEN but since then its been all members. Who would you pick as the best one (Dave A. included)?
In my opinion Eddie has contributed the worst ( see Riot Act & Backspacer, & Yield )

Give song examples- ie' No Way is a musical gem imho
Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Jeff.
    but I'm biased.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • coaljam wrote:
    In my opinion Eddie has contributed the worst ( see Riot Act & Backspacer, & Yield )

I haven't listened to Riot Act since 2003 (love the lyrics, not the music), so I would agree with you there, but Yield... ♥ ♥ ♥
  • coaljam wrote:

I haven't listened to Riot Act since 2003 (love the lyrics, not the music), so I would agree with you there, but Yield... ♥ ♥ ♥

I like Riot Act, and Yield is clearly an album for gods, But Eddies songs on Yield were MFC, Untitled, & Wishlist, these are by far the worst songs on the album. With Riot Act he gave Thumbing and LBC, two songs that are also subpar.
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
  • Jeff.
    but I'm biased.

Help Help, Pilate, Got Some, Nothingman. You can make a strong case.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    if u put TEN out of it..JEFF by far....NAIS,Army Reserve. Got Some, Nothingman.
    but ...TEN number 1 album for me...so i guees Stone win this
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • MortalityMortality Posts: 156
    edited March 2010
    It has to be Stone by a landslide.

Release
    In Hiding
    Oceans
    All Those Yesterdays
    Black
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    Of The Girl
    Alive
    Rival
    Even Flow
    Deep
    NO WAY!
    Post edited by Mortality on
  • Mortality wrote:

Release
    In Hiding
    Oceans
    All Those Yesterdays
    Black
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    Of The Girl
    Alive
    Rival
    Even Flow
    Deep

stone wins
  • Mortality wrote:

Release
    In Hiding
    Oceans
    All Those Yesterdays
    Black
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    Of The Girl
    Alive
    Rival
    Even Flow
    Deep
    Lets not forget "No Way", the guitar layering is amazing.
    coaljam wrote:
    Jeff.
    but I'm biased.

Help Help, Pilate, Got Some, Nothingman. You can make a strong case.

It has to do with a version of NAIS that I saw at Bridge in 2001.
    I thought if they break up after tonight (which at the time people weren't entirely sure where they'd pop up next), it would be OK. Not really... but you know what I mean.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Yep STONE for me...with JEFF a close second! :)
  • jammingwhileIcanjammingwhileIcan Posts: 89
    edited March 2010
    Mike may not write that many, but when he does he nails it. (1 song on BS!?).
    GTF, Brain of J, Inside Job.= GOLD
    Post edited by jammingwhileIcan on
  • MortalityMortality Posts: 156
    coaljam wrote:
    Mortality wrote:

Release
    In Hiding
    Oceans
    All Those Yesterdays
    Black
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    Of The Girl
    Alive
    Rival
    Even Flow
    Deep
    Lets not forget "No Way", the guitar layering is amazing.

Cant believe i forgot no way! EDIT
  • The real question is if stone is the most gifted writer why did he have only one or two songs on BS? Clearly we could have done without all of Eddie's songs, sans GSMF & UK
  • Mortality wrote:

Release
    In Hiding
    Oceans
    All Those Yesterdays
    Black
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    Of The Girl
    Alive
    Rival
    Even Flow
    Deep
    NO WAY!
    didn't he also do hold on? saw the youtube vid of it from philly 3 and ed introduced it as a stone song i think

by the way, when i first saw this thread i immediately thought "STONE STONE STONE!!!". good thing i got to thank him for of the girl and in hiding when i met him :D
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • I like a lot of Stone and Jeff's stuff, but at the end of the day I keep coming back to Matt's songs. They're just the most challenging and diverse, it's not easy to get bored with it.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
    edited March 2010
    Pearl Jam is a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, so it's not easy to choose. While Mike, Stone, Jeff, and Matt have each delivered the best songs in the catalog, I'll go with Eddie on this one. Simply because he has written more of my favorite songs than any other member. Obviously, he has the advantage of writing for his own voice. And the primary aspect of pearl jam is Eddie's vocals. Vedder also is my pick for best solo album by a PJ member.
    Because I'm a sucker for lists. These are the best pearl jam songs credited solely to Eddie in no particular order (note: without the other members' songwriting, my love for pearl jam would greatly diminish)

Porch
    RVM
    Corduroy
    Betterman
    Immortality
    I Got Shit
    Long Road
    Off He Goes
    Lukin
    Sometimes
    MFC
    Grievance
    Soon Forget
    Parting Ways
    Letter to the Dead
    Drifting
    I am Mine
    Can't Keep
    LBC
    Green Disease
    Arc
    Man of the Hour (referring only to the live version I heard in '06, where he belts out part of the 2nd verse and the entire bridge)
    Severed Hand
    Gonna See my Friend
    Unthought Known
    Just Breathe
    Speed of Sound
    The End
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • Pearl Jam is a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, so it's not easy to choose. While Mike, Stone, Jeff, and Matt have each delivered the best songs in the catalog, I'll go with Eddie on this one. Simply because he has written more of my favorite songs than any other member. Obviously, he has the advantage of writing for his own voice. And the primary aspect of pearl jam is Eddie's vocals. Vedder also is my pick for best solo album by a PJ member.
    Because I'm a sucker for lists. These are the best pearl jam songs credited solely to Eddie in no particular order (note: without the other members' songwriting, my love for pearl jam would greatly diminish)

Porch
    RVM
    Corduroy
    Betterman
    Immortality
    I Got Shit
    Long Road
    Off He Goes
    Lukin
    Sometimes
    MFC
    Grievance
    Soon Forget
    Parting Ways
    Letter to the Dead
    Drifting
    I am Mine
    Can't Keep
    LBC
    Green Disease
    Arc
    Man of the Hour (referring only to the live version I heard in '06, where he belts out part of the 2nd verse and the entire bridge)
    Severed Hand
    Gonna See my Friend
    Unthought Known
    Just Breathe
    Speed of Sound
    The End
    I must say I cannot believe anyone likes Speed of Sound, it is imo the worst PJ song ever by miles. But while I may not agree with what you say ill fight to the death for your right to say it.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    I have to give it to Stone, but when Mike comes up with something it's always amazing.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    coaljam wrote:
    coaljam wrote:

I like Riot Act, and Yield is clearly an album for gods, But Eddies songs on Yield were MFC, Untitled, & Wishlist, these are by far the worst songs on the album. With Riot Act he gave Thumbing and LBC, two songs that are also subpar.

I wasn't gonna say Ed. Then you named like five of my favorite songs ... so ... um, I think it might be Ed.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    coaljam wrote:
    I must say I cannot believe anyone likes Speed of Sound, it is imo the worst PJ song ever by miles. But while I may not agree with what you say ill fight to the death for your right to say it.

It's amazing how people will have, you know, different tastes in things. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    edited March 2010
    coaljam wrote:
    Pearl Jam is a perfect example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, so it's not easy to choose. While Mike, Stone, Jeff, and Matt have each delivered the best songs in the catalog, I'll go with Eddie on this one. Simply because he has written more of my favorite songs than any other member. Obviously, he has the advantage of writing for his own voice. And the primary aspect of pearl jam is Eddie's vocals. Vedder also is my pick for best solo album by a PJ member.

Porch
    RVM
    Corduroy
    Betterman
    Immortality
    I Got Shit
    Long Road
    Off He Goes
    Lukin
    Sometimes
    MFC
    Grievance
    Soon Forget
    Parting Ways
    Letter to the Dead
    Drifting
    I am Mine
    Can't Keep
    LBC
    Green Disease
    Arc
    Severed Hand
    Gonna See my Friend
    Unthought Known
    Just Breathe
    Speed of Sound
    The End
    Ha! I respect anyone who pledges to fight to the death in my honor :D
    Yes, unlike a lot of people, I am a big fan of the Backspacer version of Speed of Sound! Usually I can understand why others don’t like a particular song, even if I disagree. But SoS is such a gem. I’m dumbfounded why it doesn’t get the accolades it deserves. It starts out with that eerie creekiness. When the drums roll in, there’s a ‘swing’ that prevents it from drowning in its own sorrow. I’d call it a sweetly melancholy song. The music, itself, sounds rather original, thanks in no small part to Brendan’s piano work. Lyrically, it covers similar ground as another of my favorites, Sleight of Hand. Whereas Sleight has a winter feel, I consider Speed of Sound at home in the summer months, amidst much greenery. Quite a beautiful ditty.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • airblue1airblue1 Posts: 404
    I am having a problem answering this question because most of the songs I like have dual writers.
    But in my tree is my favorite which is Vedder/Gossard/Irons
    Hail To the Victors
    I refer to those in front...
  • Ha! I respect anyone who pledges to fight to the death in my honor :D
    Yes, unlike a lot of people, I am a big fan of the Backspacer version of Speed of Sound! Usually I can understand why others don’t like a particular song, even if I disagree. But SoS is such a gem. I’m dumbfounded why it doesn’t get the accolades it deserves. It starts out with that eerie creekiness. When the drums roll in, there’s a ‘swing’ that prevents it from drowning in its own sorrow. I’d call it a sweetly melancholy song. The music, itself, sounds rather original, thanks in no small part to Brendan’s piano work. Lyrically, it covers similar ground as another of my favorites, Sleight of Hand. Whereas Sleight has a winter feel, I consider Speed of Sound at home in the summer months, amidst much greenery. Quite a beautiful ditty.
    i love speed of sound. i don't understand why people don't like it either (although i AM one of those people who think riot act is awesome.. maybe it's me? :D). the only thing remotely wrong with it is the association it has with coldplay but other than that it's a great song!
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    Agreed..Eddie is underated..

Sometimes
    Long road
    Off He Goes
    Man of the Hour
    Sleight of Hand
    Come Back
    Dead Man
    Thumbing My Way
    You're True
    Can't Keep
    Severed Hand
    Lukin
    WWS
    Courduroy
    I Got Shit
    Gone
    Betterman
    Grievance
    Untitled
    MFC
    Insignificance
    Not 4 You
    Rearviewmirror
    Sad
    I Am Mine
    Wishlist
    Love Boat Captain
    U
    Porch
    Parting Ways
    Driftin
    Soon Forget
    No More
    Heres to the State of Mississsippi
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23

Sometimes
    Long road
    Off He Goes
    Man of the Hour
    Sleight of Hand
    Come Back
    Dead Man
    Thumbing My Way
    You're True
    Can't Keep
    Severed Hand
    Lukin
    WWS
    Courduroy
    I Got Shit
    Gone
    Betterman
    Grievance
    Untitled
    MFC
    Insignificance
    Not 4 You
    Rearviewmirror
    Sad
    I Am Mine
    Wishlist
    Love Boat Captain
    U
    Porch
    Parting Ways
    Driftin
    Soon Forget
    No More
    Holy shit! I forgot to add NFY to my Vedder list. Totally inexcusable. That was the first PJ song I heard (and saw), on SNL April '94.
    Perhaps it is best I hand in my 134XXX seniority and be dishonorably discharged from the fanclub. :cry:
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    Mortality wrote:

Release
    In Hiding
    Oceans
    All Those Yesterdays
    Black
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    Of The Girl
    Alive
    Rival
    Even Flow
    Deep
    NO WAY!

Yeah for me Stone has to win!!! ;)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    Jeff.
    but I'm biased.

+1
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself

Uh.. check that. Ed didn't write that song. Phil Ochs wrote it.
    Ed also didn't write Masters of War or 25 Minutes to Go either. (in case you were curious)
  • Ha! I respect anyone who pledges to fight to the death in my honor :D
    [/quote]

Your post was written well enough that I will go and giv SOS a real good listen tonight, but right now I just remember getting to that track (8?) on my first BS listen and feeling like someone just let the air out of the cd
  • Agreed..Eddie is underated..

Sometimes
    Long road
    Off He Goes
    Man of the Hour
    Sleight of Hand
    Come Back
    Dead Man
    Thumbing My Way
    You're True
    Can't Keep
    Severed Hand
    Lukin
    WWS
    Courduroy
    I Got Shit
    Gone
    Betterman
    Grievance
    Untitled
    MFC
    Insignificance
    Not 4 You
    Rearviewmirror
    Sad
    I Am Mine
    Wishlist
    Love Boat Captain
    U
    Porch
    Parting Ways
    Driftin
    Soon Forget
    No More

These songs are all (for the most part) great songs but i feel it's often because of the lyrics and eddies voice. In terms of the music itself Eddie's songs tend to be the simplest and inferior to the other band members. Take a powerful song like Sometimes or Parting Ways, I love these songs but they are pretyy basic musically.

Again I am talking about PJ and Eddie Vedder so when I say inferior and simple I am talking on the highest possible scale of talent.