Where's the love for Gonna See My Friend?

Ames_downstrokeAmes_downstroke Posts: 100
edited March 2010 in The Porch
When I first heard this track I thought 'This is my new favourite upbeat Pearl Jam track'. It's up with with Hail, Hail and Spin the Black Circle for me in terms of riffy, punk-inspired rock tunes. The lyrics are awesome and Jeff and Matt are sooo tight on this track, even with Matt's crazy Mudhoney-esque fills.

I'm surprised I'm still so in love with this track, despite it easily being my most played song from Backspacer, but I'm more surprised that I haven't heard other people on this board show it some love. So who's with me?!

I really hope they play it at Hyde Park Calling in June...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    When the album came out...so about 6 months ago.
  • They opened Philly night 3 with it and it was an awesome opener!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i love it... think its a really really classic rocker of a song. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    i hope they play it in KC :mrgreen::mrgreen: aswell as any other city where a jammer wants to hear it ,,
  • Brisk. wrote:
    When the album came out...so about 6 months ago.

Haha, point taken, but this track seems to have been a bit forgotten, I mean personally I'd love to see it as a single, ok its not the most radio friendly of songs but it would really show that this band is still out there and has some life left in them! If they'd played this on Austin City Limits or even SNL it would have been awesome and really made an impression.

With the complaints a lot of people have (me excluded) about Backspacer's mid-tempo tracks I just would have thought with all the continuing bitching we'd also get some continuing love for this track!
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    It's one of the worst songs on the album. But, the album is one of my favorites. So, I'd say Gonna See My Friend is an above average PJ song. It's just that I'd rather listen to every other song on Backspacer before Gonna See My Friend, besides of course... Supersonic.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    They opened Philly night 3 with it and it was an awesome opener!
    yes it was. :D
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Love this song. Great album opener. And the notes Ed's hitting when the chorus goes high are sick. Don't know how he does it live.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    its the song meaning u,me,all of us...and the tour is all about this..that im gonna see my friend,,in tour ,in June... :wave:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    I love the

never to wash awaaaaAAAAAAYYYYYY-WHOOOOOOOOO!!!
    8-)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I love it and we will see it on the next tour a lot I bet, I hope
  • Ample JarAmple Jar Posts: 241
    Love it! Has been my favorite on BS since day one. And it is in my top 5 songs since Binaural.

...and my favorite line in the song....
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124357
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • i really like it.

i guess it just kinda flies under the radar because its just a silly little rocker, but whatev,
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    When I first heard this track I thought 'This is my new favourite upbeat Pearl Jam track'. It's up with with Hail, Hail and Spin the Black Circle for me in terms of riffy, punk-inspired rock tunes. The lyrics are awesome and Jeff and Matt are sooo tight on this track, even with Matt's crazy Mudhoney-esque fills.

I'm surprised I'm still so in love with this track, despite it easily being my most played song from Backspacer, but I'm more surprised that I haven't heard other people on this board show it some love. So who's with me?!

I am with you there, i love it & would be a good opener.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • Even before the song was released, whenever I would tell someone I was going to see Pearl Jam I would say that I was going to see my friends tonight. I know it sounds cheezy but that is how I feel about the boys.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    fav song on backsapcer for sure.

love how he says in one breath :never to washawaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyygonnatakemeanastralplane,imgonna
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • oceans18oceans18 Posts: 154
    Definitely my first or second favorite on Backspacer. I love it to start the album too cause it's so upbeat and loud, which is why I also liked Life Wasted starting Avacado. I heard GSMY at Philly 3 but would love to hear it at one of the MSG shows too.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    *the in between is mine*
  • TheVan218TheVan218 Posts: 302
    I don't hate it, but there's nothing special about it. Aside from Speed of Sound, it's one of my least favorites on Backspacer.
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    MB999 wrote:
    Even before the song was released, whenever I would tell someone I was going to see Pearl Jam I would say that I was going to see my friends tonight. I know it sounds cheezy but that is how I feel about the boys.

hey mate yous not the only one who would say that,, no worries on it being cheezy :mrgreen:
  • capecodriotcapecodriot Posts: 340
    Def should be the next single, but I thought severed hand was amazing too and it didn't get any love...
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    TheVan218 wrote:
    I don't hate it, but there's nothing special about it. Aside from Speed of Sound, it's one of my least favorites on Backspacer.
    This is me too sort of.
    I usually just skip GSMF when I am listening to the cd. It was so nice of them to put it first so I can just skip right over it.
    And yeah I have about as much love for Speed of Sound, which I can never even remember the name of.
    Every other song on Backspacer I really love though!
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    I always thought that song had horrible lyrics (which is very odd by the band). So it's one of the few PJ songs I can't get into.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    Love this song and hope they open in STl with it.
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    Sometimes I don't like it that much because I dont always enjoy the chrorus and Ed's singing in it. Kind of how I felt about bits of Avocado.

But other times it's totally motivating and I notice the drums are mental and Ed sounds great in other parts (statue... tatoo... awaaayyyyyY!!).
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    inlet13 wrote:
    It's one of the worst songs on the album. But, the album is one of my favorites. So, I'd say Gonna See My Friend is an above average PJ song. It's just that I'd rather listen to every other song on Backspacer before Gonna See My Friend, besides of course... Supersonic.

Wow I couldn't dissagree with you more, GSMF is my 2nd favorite off the album and Supersonic is my 1st, they are kinda the same style though so I guess if you like one then you like the other and same with if you don't like one.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    It's down the street, second door on the left. no no keep going...
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I really love this song and have from first listen!
    Just makes you wanna jump around & let loose :)

Hopefully it gets played at MSG!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135

sending out love for Gonna See My Friend!!
  • Def should be the next single, but I thought severed hand was amazing too and it didn't get any love...
    If Severed Hand was the lead single on that album, it would have gone platinum.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    MrSmith wrote:
    Def should be the next single, but I thought severed hand was amazing too and it didn't get any love...
    If Severed Hand was the lead single on that album, it would have gone platinum.

yeah it makes no sense to me, the riff is awesome, then that thing in the 2nd verse where the guitar is ripping hardcore, then the awsoeme solo, then the awesome ending riff, would have been pretty clear to me if I were them but maybe they see something I don't, Maybe it's the long part at the beggining