Options

I just watched Into The Wild...

Comments

• Options
    nepalnepal Posts: 143
    Just came back from the movietheatre. Liked the film, a few fords of criticism though; I think playing 'big hard sun' in the end was not a good idea, even silence would have fit better (of course you are not allowed to criticize that there were too much Vedder music on the movie, here at the pit) Also the scene where Chris wanders in the streets and see people spending a night out, I think everyone would have got the point when he looks the clean shaved guy without changing Chris to his position. Still, I think Mr. Penn had captured the essence of Chris McCandless.
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • Options
    jxchambjxchamb Posts: 55
    I just saw the movie last week. Simply amazing and beautiful. I've been listening to the soundtrack nonstop since it was released but the film wasn't playing anywhere in Connecticut so I had for dvd. Very powerful and moving film.
  • Options
    nepal wrote:
    Just came back from the movietheatre. Liked the film, a few fords of criticism though; I think playing 'big hard sun' in the end was not a good idea, even silence would have fit better (of course you are not allowed to criticize that there were too much Vedder music on the movie, here at the pit) Also the scene where Chris wanders in the streets and see people spending a night out, I think everyone would have got the point when he looks the clean shaved guy without changing Chris to his position. Still, I think Mr. Penn had captured the essence of Chris McCandless.

I think hardsun was chosen for the end credits, probably because Penn wanted to avoid causing people to commit suicide themselves after watching this film. The song also seems to inspire a sort of reflection on the beauty of the human spirit, which helps to reaffirm that at the heart of this film is a message about life and love, not death and desolation.

The scene where Chris sees himself as the sharp dressed socialite in the cafe, i actualy saw that as one of the more profound scenes. It expresses visualy one of the first moments where he has already begun to have a shadow of a doubt about the path he has chosen. Certainly the discrepancy between the wealth and status is apparent, but further, the man in the cafe is actually happy and laughing ... not because of his success and status, but because of the relationships he is involved in. He is engaged in "a happiness shared".

So to me, at least, that was a very important moment in the movie, and i did not view the visual effect as a distraction or overembelishment.

;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    As great as the movie was, read the book. It's a fast read and in my opinion, much better than the movie.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was great. I loved it. The difference with the book is that you are given a more balanced view of Chris's decisions as opposed to the movie where his actions were seen as great because he was "ridding himself of society". Little attention was given to the somewhat "reckless" decisions he made.

What they didn't tell you in the movie is that he planned on going back to work after his time in the wilderness. The movie also fails to mention that he didn't have a map with him. If he had had a map, he would have realized when he was trying to cross the river there was a crossing point of sorts approximately 1/2 mile down the river.

It is a truly sad story. I would recommend that all of you read the book. For me, I felt a stronger connection to Chris's journey that was portrayed in the film.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Chris's desires to be in Alaska are understandable, because white people make you feel bad about not going outside.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/01/20/9-making-you-feel-bad-about-not-going-outside/

"Stuff White People Like"

#9 Making you feel bad about not going outside
    January 20, 2008 by clander

As mentioned earlier, white people love to be outside. But not everyone knows that another thing they like to do is make people feel bad for wanting to watch sports on TV or play videogames. While it would be easy to get angry at white people for this, remember it is hard wired in their head that the greatest thing a person can do in their free time is to hike/walk/bike outdoors.

Usually, they will see that you are preparing to enjoy your life and they will say “hey, lets go for a hike in the park,” and most people will say “hey, thanks but I’ve been working all week and I’m really excited about watching this game,” and then they will respond “don’t be a lump on the couch, you’re wasting your life away, etc…” If you ignore them, they will eventually go away.

And much like most things with white people - they win both ways. If you decide to go with them, they feel good about getting someone off the couch and “into the fresh air,” and if you don’t decide to go, they can spend their entire time outdoors saying “boy, this is great, X doesn’t know what he/she is missing!” and running on a mix of self-satisfaction, Odwalla juice and muesli.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    It is indeed a shame that he figured it all out just a little too late. To think he was searching for happiness, freedom etc and only at the end did he have that revelation. That would have to be what made it sad for me, was that he finally did find it but it was too late. But the journey to find it all was probably the most important thing, do you agree?
    Yes I do agree, it's the journey, not the destination.
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    Shouldnt have killed that damn moose!
    Perhaps, but at least it didn't go to waste.
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    I cried a lot when he died.......
    I actually managed not to cry which is not normal for me. I think it's because I knew he was going to die and anticipated it. I thought the bear scene was interesting.
  • Options
    mookie10mookie10 Posts: 41
    Very intense movie, very carefully and thoughtfully done from all involved. I have a new found respect for Sean penn and for Emile Hirsch for how they portayed this story of Christopher Mccandless's life.

I have no opinion about whether what he did was admirable or selfish,etc. For me personally I really enjoyed his journey becuase it made me walk away with the feeling that I just got a huge kick in the ass. I kind of made me feel a little greedy for the way I live, always wanting more, etc. I really liked the example of the car when his dad tried to buy him a newer one. He just couldn't grasp why he needed a new car when his old one worked fine. I thought that was interesting because Im guilty of that - always wanting a newer something, when probably the old one was just fine.

I also recommend the book, a lot of untold adventures that just was not possible to sqeeze into the movie.
    "Well I guess there's nothing wrong with what you say, but dont sell me there can't be better ways"
    ~Pearl Jam
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    I actually managed not to cry which is not normal for me. I think it's because I knew he was going to die and anticipated it. I thought the bear scene was interesting.
    SAME BEAR FROM THE GREAT OUTDOORS 22 YEARS AGO.

THATS ONE OLD BEAR
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    nepalnepal Posts: 143
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

THATS ONE OLD BEAR

http://imdb.com/name/nm1212069/

It says here Bart The Bear date of birth 2000
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

THATS ONE OLD BEAR
    did the bear ever manage to grow back the hair on its arse??? :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    I read the book after I saw it too and loved it; after I have thought more about it, I think ITW may be the best film of the year. Just saw No Country for Old Men and was kind of disappointed. Hal Holbrook was better than Javier Bardam.

it was good........didn't like how they kinda pointed a finger at the parents for his actions.......independence is independence.......hal was great but javier was the man.
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    nepal wrote:
    http://imdb.com/name/nm1212069/

It says here Bart The Bear date of birth 2000
    hmm. i was watching a special on trained animals in film and the bear trainer said he has had the same bear for 30 years. i guess i am wrong sorry
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    dr teeth wrote:
    it was good........didn't like how they kinda pointed a finger at the parents for his actions.......independence is independence.......hal was great but javier was the man.
    yea...i guess they are just trying to put across the fact that whatever the action there are consequences.
    Life is like a big snowball...some incident that starts of so miniscule ends up rolling through, collecting momentum until its just one big frozen ball of water.

Geez...kinda got off the subject a bit eh? :D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867

yeah, my 17 year old son pointed out to me the reasoning behind it that I didn't get.....the fact that he was so skinny the bear didn't even eat him.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    yeah, my 17 year old son pointed out to me the reasoning behind it that I didn't get.....the fact that he was so skinny the bear didn't even eat him.
    that was REALLY full on!!!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    writersu wrote:

my thinking was that he smelled of death. and what bear in its right mind would want to eat that?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    that was REALLY full on!!!

yeah, young people are pretty smart I find.......(but damn the 70's and 80's ruined me)

haha.......

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    my thinking was that he smelled of death. and what bear in its right mind would want to eat that?

well, that sure could've been it too, cause of the poison, right?

• Options
    I did not cry, only because I expected it since I read the original book. You would think the ending would be sad, but it was a very happy moment, esp when Big Sun was played. They made that ending VERY AWESOME.. almost like I got goosebumps when I saw them panning out of the bus, with almost a smile on Chris' face and to hear the jingle and strum of Ed's guitar.. it was awesome..

i cry every time. the last time i watched it (which was like somewhere in the 20s time ive seen it), i managed not to lose it when his dad comes out into the street and shows us hes not wearing sox only to lose it when chris died.
    i am determined to watch this film from start to finish and not cry.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    well, that sure could've been it too, cause of the poison, right?

no. moreso the fact that he actually was dying. and i figured an animal so reliant on smell as a bear would def sense that.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i cry every time. the last time i watched it (which was like somewhere in the 20s time ive seen it), i managed not to lose it when his dad comes out into the street and shows us hes not wearing sox only to lose it when chris died.
    i am determined to watch this film from start to finish and not cry.
    goodluck :D
  • Options
    goodluck :D

oh tell me about it.
    the first time i saw it, as soon as i heard hard sun i cried. you know how difficult it is to sing along with ed whilst choking on tears? least i dont do that anymore. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    :(

Alex was just wanting to leave, and he couldn't! He died from such a stupid mistake.

Anybody know why his parents allowed the film to be made? They where portrayed as such horrible people.

But, yeah; I thought I knew a lot about life. Then I saw Into The Wild and realised how naive I was.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I love the movie from the intro to near the end "Wisdom" chapter (the one with the old man). i guess the ending was just too sad for me to enjoy it.

I loved how Sean Penn placed Chris' interactions with humans and nature together. My two favorites scenes were the "Apple" = 'not superman, supertramp, you're super apple; the apple in my eye' and "Old man wisdom" scenes. With Chris as the old man's adopted son would have been the perfect ending to a his adventure but I guess to be a great adventure there has to be tragedy.

Great film. I'm not why the Academy didn't give it more nominations.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    no. moreso the fact that he actually was dying. and i figured an animal so reliant on smell as a bear would def sense that.

see, I know nothing about bears but considering that they live off of instinct in order to survive, your point makes perfect sense to me.

thanks.

• Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    LongRd. wrote:
    I love the movie from the intro to near the end "Wisdom" chapter (the one with the old man). i guess the ending was just too sad for me to enjoy it.

I loved how Sean Penn placed Chris' interactions with humans and nature together. My two favorites scenes were the "apple" and "old man wisdom" scene. With Chris as the old man's adopted son would have been the perfect ending to a his adventure but I guess to be a great adventure there has to be tragedy.

Great film. I'm not why the Academy didn't give it more nominations.
    Yeah, I didn't enjoy it when he dies. Too sad.

Why the hell didn't Guaranteed win an oscar?
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    Murderers wrote:
    Yeah, I didn't enjoy it when he dies. Too sad.

Why the hell didn't Guaranteed win an oscar?
    because all the people who voted for the oscar nominees are deaf mo fos with no life :D
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    fuck his parents.

does everybody forget what they did???????????????
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*