Options

I just watched Into The Wild...

yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
edited April 2008 in The Porch
And I have NOT stopped crying...this movie was such a powerful experience for me, and truly is one of the best films I have ever had the privilage of viewing. The way that "Alex" finally discovered what he had been looking for, but being too late....oh my god!
Any other reviews?
"....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    And I have NOT stopped crying...this movie was such a powerful experience for me, and truly is one of the best films I have ever had the privilage of viewing. The way that "Alex" finally discovered what he had been looking for, but being too late....oh my god!
    Any other reviews?

I know there have been countless threads about this, but I too just watched ITW for the first time and was moved very deeply by it!
  • Options
    Fantastic film... and has greatly inspired my thoughts and actions of the past few weeks. I've done a McCandless, of sorts... and my life'll be better for it. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Fantastic film... and has greatly inspired my thoughts and actions of the past few weeks. I've done a McCandless, of sorts... and my life'll be better for it. :)
    Oh yes? Are you off to Alaska??
    It really makes you question how much we really get out of our day to day living, and our possessions doesnt it?
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    I know there have been countless threads about this, but I too just watched ITW for the first time and was moved very deeply by it!
    yeah, i kinda assumed there would have been heaps of threads re: the movie but i couldnt help myself, plus my computer isnt searching properly and couldnt find the other threads...dang!
  • Options
    jdwyer02jdwyer02 Posts: 110
    If you haven't read the book I strongly suggest it after watching the movie. Hal Holbrook was great but after reading about the actual man he plays in the movie is even better. Powerful stuff.
    "Many people don't know what their life is worth. I do....70 Grand!"
  • Options
    good but beyond ponderous.
  • Options
    I too, just saw it this weekend for the 1st time. Totally agree, what an outstanding movie. I couldnt stop crying as well, i was totally moved by it. I have been moved by a film like this since I first saw Shawshank Redemption. I remembering hearing about the story, but Sean Penn did an amazing job telling it. After watching it, felt he was totally robbed at the Oscars.

Eddie's music def has additionally meaning after watching the movie. I just bought the book for my flight to San Fran for the Berkeley shows, excited to read it.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    it was definitely one of those things that stuck with me for awhile... i dont know that it was the movie specifically as much as just the story... definitely heartbreaking... im sure there are people who would die for a revelation like his... its just too bad he couldnt have figured it out sooner... i wouldve banged the chick in the RV :D

also the first time i saw it i was with 3 hot female friends so i had to try pretty hard to hold back the tears during the old man part...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    I finally saw it too the other night. I remember reading past threads on this subject where a poster thought he was so selfish for not contacting his family. Maybe so, but I got the impression that in the end he realized how important it was to be with people, including his family. Very sad he realized it too late. The hell of it is, his death could have been prevented. I think someday I will read the book.
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    jdwyer02 wrote:
    If you haven't read the book I strongly suggest it after watching the movie. Hal Holbrook was great but after reading about the actual man he plays in the movie is even better. Powerful stuff.
    I read the book after I saw it too and loved it; after I have thought more about it, I think ITW may be the best film of the year. Just saw No Country for Old Men and was kind of disappointed. Hal Holbrook was better than Javier Bardam.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    I obsessed over the book and film for like a month.

Funny to see this thread because I ordered the 2 dvd set last night off of amazon.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,271
    Any other reviews?

really enjoyed it plus the soundtrack!
    danny d
  • Options
    pjstarrpjstarr Posts: 270
    Outstanding movie, Sean Penn did a great job and you can't beat the soundtrack. Very touching and sad movie, but very genuine as well! One to own for sure!
    "I think this is the coldest red wine I've ever had"
    E.V- Ice Bowl, Alpine Valley 2000

Alpine Valley 6 -27-98 Palace 10-7-00 Alpine Valley 10-8-00
    Shoreline 6-1-03 DTE 6-25-03 DTE 6-26-03
    Pepsi Center 7-2-06 Pepsi Center 7-3-06
    Riverside Theater E.V solo 8-19-08
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    i saw 'into the wild' at the theatre and hopefully, i am going to buy a dvd copy of it soon...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    call your sister! c'mon
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    RockMan wrote:
    call your sister! c'mon
    yah especially since shes a PJ fan! (stepmom anyone?)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    I highly recommend a trip to alaska for any serious into the wild fan and any person for a vacation in general - fairbanks is a great start and the denali wilderness around the park is such an experience. the summer is the perferred time to visit and the landscapes you find will baffle your mind.

I spent a summer working there a few years ago (2003) - and it was the absolute best time of my life. I met some amazing people and saw some of the most breathtaking sights of my life. Too this day i still think about that summer and how it was the happiset time of my life. Not too mention a fling with a hot little Asian gal.
    And they say there are no women in alaska!

peace
    Rob

"As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life."

--Jack Lengyel--
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Any other reviews?

yeah, an awesome movie that I thought was well done on a lot of different levels; the acting, music (of course..........) and the scenery.

after I finally read the book, I couldn't help but think that SeanPenn did a good job of taking the script out of the book because it personalizes the story of the young man a lot.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Any other reviews?

Read the book.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    *SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

*SPOILERS*

I did not cry, only because I expected it since I read the original book. You would think the ending would be sad, but it was a very happy moment, esp when Big Sun was played. They made that ending VERY AWESOME.. almost like I got goosebumps when I saw them panning out of the bus, with almost a smile on Chris' face and to hear the jingle and strum of Ed's guitar.. it was awesome..
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    I finally saw it too the other night. I remember reading past threads on this subject where a poster thought he was so selfish for not contacting his family. Maybe so, but I got the impression that in the end he realized how important it was to be with people, including his family. Very sad he realized it too late. The hell of it is, his death could have been prevented. I think someday I will read the book.
    It is indeed a shame that he figured it all out just a little too late. To think he was searching for happiness, freedom etc and only at the end did he have that revelation. That would have to be what made it sad for me, was that he finally did find it but it was too late. But the journey to find it all was probably the most important thing, do you agree?
  • Options
    I did not cry, only because I expected it since I read the original book. You would think the ending would be sad, but it was a very happy moment, esp when Big Sun was played. They made that ending VERY AWESOME.. almost like I got goosebumps when I saw them panning out of the bus, with almost a smile on Chris' face and to hear the jingle and strum of Ed's guitar.. it was awesome..

You got "HAPPY MOMENT" out of that?

To anyone else who has seen this, did anyone else get this?
    I thought the overwhelming point of this was that although his intentions in doing this were in the interest of self-actualization, not only was he being self-absorbed in his pursuits to the detriment of his loved ones, but further his final realization was really that the most important thing in life is human relationships -- man was not meant to be an isolated beast, he is a social animal.

Therefore, i find it a bit peculiar that someone took away a sense of hapiness from the end of this, as if Chris had somehow "found peace" and "died happy doing what he loved" ... didn't they go to great length to detail that he spent his last days miserable and feeling misguided, and that his death was exrutiating and essentialy in vain?

:confused:
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    You got "HAPPY MOMENT" out of that?

To anyone else who has seen this, did anyone else get this?
    I thought the overwhelming point of this was that although his intentions in doing this were in the interest of self-actualization, not only was he being self-absorbed in his pursuits to the detriment of his loved ones, but further his final realization was really that the most important thing in life is human relationships -- man was not meant to be an isolated beast, he is a social animal.

Therefore, i find it a bit peculiar that someone took away a sense of hapiness from the end of this, as if Chris had somehow "found peace" and "died happy doing what he loved" ... didn't they go to great length to detail that he spent his last days miserable and feeling misguided, and that his death was exrutiating and essentialy in vain?

:confused:
    ill second that.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    My initial reaction - what was up with the crazy ass white people that were listening to MC Hammer on some shitty radio along side the Colorado River? It's like, "Hey honey, let's get way the hell out of town and park our canoe on some random bank on the Colorado River, and THEN let's make animal faces and listen to MC Hammer on a shitty radio. I'll take my top off!"
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Any other reviews?
    um? what did he find? besides the fact he didnt realize the river would unfreeze and that he cant read the herbology book.

dont get me wrong i loved the film, but i dont see what he found. i thought he died happy.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    um? what did he find? besides the fact he didnt realize the river would unfreeze and that he cant read the herbology book.

dont get me wrong i loved the film, but i dont see what he found. i thought he died happy.

Starving to death he died happy?
    From reading the book you get the distinct impression that he did not have a death wish and would not have been very happy about starving to death. There were help notes left at the bus begging for someone to help him out.
    I don't think Chris was a happy man starving to death.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    One other thing about the story is that we see Chris' life through the lens of the end. What I mean is that everything you see and hear about him is colored with the fact that he dies and dies from starving. Certainly that's a big part of the issue, but I listen to Penn and Krackauer and to a certain extent Vedder talk about why this is important to them and I think the same why it's important to me. Not that he died, but because there is this thing in some of us (maybe all) that feels a need to get back to, or into nature. There are no more places left to explore. It's all been mapped out. There is no more unattainable mountain. To look into death's eyes, to not blink and to return is a long held burning in the souls of many that nowadays gets overlooked and ignored.
    The important part though is that he failed. I do not think for a second that he was happy about that failure. He starved to death. That is a bad way to go.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

he found out that happiness is better shared. he discovered that all he was running from, held parts of things that made HIM happy.
    Shouldnt have killed that damn moose!
  • Options
    I just picked up a MASSIVE Promo poster for Into The Wild from our local video shop....for free! Yay!!
  • Options
    prljmngrlprljmngrl Posts: 320
    I too love the movie. What got me about the real story is that if he had only walked a short distance down river, he could have crossed and made it out alive. But because he didn't know the area and didn't take a map-he had no clue. :(