Options

Is it possible to stay in a hotel and not camp?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,429
    Hotels are often hard to find because people have learned to book their rooms well in advance of the line-up announcement.

For Coachella, most of the lower-end hotels sell-out in November, which is 6 months before the festival, and 3 months before the line-up announcement.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    You would be lucky just to be able to get out...I've never had any intention of leaving in previous years, so I'm not sure if they make any special accommodations at all...but once you park and set up camp you will literally be boxed in, you would have to coordinate with 20 or so other campsites to get your vehicle out...or just do what someone did to me last year on sunday and just relocate your neighbors tent 20 feet away :eek: you are bound to get lost either way once or twice of the course of the weekend, but imagine coming back to camp, swearing that you are in the right spot, looking at your neighbors who you have seen all weekend, seeing you car...and bam where's the tent

I do know that after 9 pm friday night you can leave the grounds and come back once and only once...lots of info on this and other things on the roo site
    Straight from the Roo website:

Until Friday evening at 9:00 PM, vehicles will not be permitted to leave the festival and then re-enter the event grounds. This means that if your vehicle leaves, it will not be allowed to re-enter. After Friday evening, if you wish to leave the grounds in your vehicle and then return, you will have to leave through special security gates. At this gate we will register your vehicle when you leave and you will get a pass to re-enter. You will only be allowed to leave and then reenter with your vehicle once over the weekend. Upon returning you will only be able to reenter with
    your vehicle through the gate you left, and will be subject to a thorough vehicle search.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Straight from the Roo website:

Until Friday evening at 9:00 PM, vehicles will not be permitted to leave the festival and then re-enter the event grounds. This means that if your vehicle leaves, it will not be allowed to re-enter. After Friday evening, if you wish to leave the grounds in your vehicle and then return, you will have to leave through special security gates. At this gate we will register your vehicle when you leave and you will get a pass to re-enter. You will only be allowed to leave and then reenter with your vehicle once over the weekend. Upon returning you will only be able to reenter with
    your vehicle through the gate you left, and will be subject to a thorough vehicle search.

exactly, but they don't mention the logistics of actually leaving...you'll see for yourself in june
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    exactly, but they don't mention the logistics of actually leaving...you'll see for yourself in june
    No, I believe you- this is my first Roo and I love all of the advice that everyone is sharing on here. I think I also read some where on their site that they are aware of the traffic problem and they're working on fixing it this year- haha :)

I do have a question for you though, my wife and I have a hotel booked for Sunday night only- pretty much to get a decent night sleep and to shower, ect... Will it be hard to leave that night being the last night of the festival? Do a lot of people usually leave early?

One more question, if you don't mind, what's the shower situation like? Any warm water? Closed stalls? Thanks
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    LukinFan wrote:
    No, I believe you- this is my first Roo and I love all of the advice that everyone is sharing on here. I think I also read some where on their site that they are aware of the traffic problem and they're working on fixing it this year- haha :)

I do have a question for you though, my wife and I have a hotel booked for Sunday night only- pretty much to get a decent night sleep and to shower, ect... Will it be hard to leave that night being the last night of the festival? Do a lot of people usually leave early?

One more question, if you don't mind, what's the shower situation like? Any warm water? Closed stalls? Thanks

No showers unless you dump water on yourself or have an RV; your foolish to try to leave Sunday night; lots of people "try to leave"; just wait it out and leave Monday morning after a good nights sleep.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    LukinFan wrote:

traffic problem...heh, hit or miss...2005 we creeped along something like 3 miles in four hours...2006 was the quickest yet at maybe 45 minutes...last year we arrived the site around 6 am or so and didn't get in until 2pm...

you will have no problems getting out sunday evening, I left around 10pm each of the last two years, no problem whatsoever

showers...the mushroom!!!
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/Harpua03/CIMG0230.jpg

vip has private showers...for everybody else they do have big semi's converted for the weekend into showers, I would imagine they have private stalls, but I have never used them...we had one not too far from our camp last year...it's either $5 or $10 per shower....warm or cold? with the heat I don't think it matters

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    upina2001 wrote:
    No showers unless you dump water on yourself or have an RV; your foolish to try to leave Sunday night; lots of people "try to leave"; just wait it out and leave Monday morning after a good nights sleep.
    okay, thanks
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    are you from Turkey? Seren is a girl name in Turkish.

Nope, it actually means Star in Welsh - I am from Wales.
  • Options
    traffic problem...heh, hit or miss...2005 we creeped along something like 3 miles in four hours...2006 was the quickest yet at maybe 45 minutes...last year we arrived the site around 6 am or so and didn't get in until 2pm...

you will have no problems getting out sunday evening, I left around 10pm each of the last two years, no problem whatsoever

vip has private showers...for everybody else they do have big semi's converted for the weekend into showers, I would imagine they have private stalls, but I have never used them...we had one not too far from our camp last year...it's either $5 or $10 per shower....warm or cold? with the heat I don't think it matters
    haha, thanks! Love the mushroom shower idea

Last question, I promise, you said that you usually leave around 10 on Sundays, don't you miss the final act? I thought all the headliners play from 9-12 or is it different on Sundays?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    You can, but if I recall from '04, the nearest town is about 15-20 miles away. Unless they have changed things, you can stay there, but it is much easier to stay and camp. What they do is line up your cars in huge grass "parking lots." The only bad thing about that is you are pretty much blocked in until everyone leaves unless you get an end space.
  • Options

OMG, we were in line for like 3-4 hours in '04. Gave us time to smoke up, among other things, but it is brutal in 100+ degree heat. Be sure to have plenty of gas in your tank
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    one of the main experiences of bonnaroo, i would think, would be the camping
    my friends went last yr and said it was hotter than hell, but it made the experience (the camping)
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    haha, thanks! Love the mushroom shower idea

Last question, I promise, you said that you usually leave around 10 on Sundays, don't you miss the final act? I thought all the headliners play from 9-12 or is it different on Sundays?

they do...my friends drove in 2006 and wanted to get a head start gettin back home so we took off, it's a long weekend anyway so I was ready to leave

last year I just had no desire to see widespread panic again....they played 830- 1130pm...I left on a high note after the white stripes and made it home by noon the next day

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    OMG, we were in line for like 3-4 hours in '04. Gave us time to smoke up, among other things, but it is brutal in 100+ degree heat. Be sure to have plenty of gas in your tank

yeah, last year sucked because we got to the entrance and started to wait so I figured I would take a nap...woke up a few hours later to the police directing us to the next exit...nearly 30 miles down the interstate...to make matters worse I slept awkwardly with my hand on my face and couldn't see straight out of my right eye til later in the afternoon...

this year should be fun..first time testing the highway backup with a stick shift

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    I posted this earlier but since this thread is heading in that direction...

Curious about what time you should arrive?

Gates open at 7am central time Thursday morning...

In 2005 I arrived at 10pm Tursday

2006 and 2007 6am sharp Thursday morning

this is where I ended up each year

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/wickedmonkeyz/map1-1.jpg

***GOT EM***
  • Options

Wow! That's really good info, thanks for everything!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Wow! That's really good info, thanks for everything!

glad to help

***GOT EM***
  • Options

Looks like you were pretty fuckin far away from the stage!!!!!!
  • Options

Great info, but from what I've read on other sites, it's really hit-or-miss as to where they put you no matter what time you get there...I'm hoping to get there about 10-11 am Thursday with my daughter, still haven't decided if I should spring for the VIP or get the real flavor at GA. Any thoughts?
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    velogator wrote:
    Great info, but from what I've read on other sites, it's really hit-or-miss as to where they put you no matter what time you get there...I'm hoping to get there about 10-11 am Thursday with my daughter, still haven't decided if I should spring for the VIP or get the real flavor at GA. Any thoughts?

hit or miss for sure...but it makes sense that they fill the campsites from the inside out

check out http://bonnaroo.proboards21.com/index.cgi for all things bonnaroo, there are plenty of veteran vip'ers there...i think what it comes down to is the price of tickets...i'm sure the added perks of vip are nice, but worth $1200 per pair? You'll be closer to the main area for sure, have access to private showere, some free food and drinks, be able to sit in the bleachers, etc...I wish I could give you more pointers about VIP but have never been that route myself...good luck!

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    Yeah. It might be a tad hit and miss, as to where exactly you'll wind up, however, overall your proximity to the actual entrance to Centeroo is still pretty much dependent on how early you arrive. Last year I talked to people in different areas who arrived at more or less the same time I did (8 p.m. Thursday, and I was way out on the northeast(?) end, in the "Austin Powers" area), but they were still towards the outside, as opposed to being further in towards the main grounds/Centeroo.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • Options
    also there are multiple entrances...off the interstate, bushy branch road...taker your pick, but show up after friday morning and you will not be close to centeroo, for sure

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    Looks like you were pretty fuckin far away from the stage!!!!!!
    you're pretty much far from everywhere. From what I remember, there isn't much, or any, camping near the venues. There are only rows of small shops, food, drug row, etc. Bonnaroo is on a HUGE farm - gotta be 100+ acres
  • Options
    hit or miss for sure...but it makes sense that they fill the campsites from the inside out

check out http://bonnaroo.proboards21.com/index.cgi for all things bonnaroo, there are plenty of veteran vip'ers there...i think what it comes down to is the price of tickets...i'm sure the added perks of vip are nice, but worth $1200 per pair? You'll be closer to the main area for sure, have access to private showere, some free food and drinks, be able to sit in the bleachers, etc...I wish I could give you more pointers about VIP but have never been that route myself...good luck!

Thanks, I'll check out that site...I'm probably going to do GA as I think you probably get more of the full flavor of the festival there :-) Although, a nice shower and air conditioned bathroom in VIP are mighty tempting!!
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    you're pretty much far from everywhere. From what I remember, there isn't much, or any, camping near the venues. There are only rows of small shops, food, drug row, etc. Bonnaroo is on a HUGE farm - gotta be 100+ acres

So how far is the farthest walk to stages
  • Options
    5882300 wrote:
    So how far is the farthest walk to stages
    the farthest? Well, I dunno. We never really walked to the outskirts of the place - mainly to the shops, food stands, the stages, and to where we had our tents. My guess, from the farthest campgrounds, would be over a 1/2 mile to a mile or so - it's that big.
  • Options
    Yeah, I;m familiar with the heat. ANd the bugs. Funny no one has mentioned the snakes!

Really looking forward to it!

"BUGS, NOT DRUGS!"
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    what if i get there on Saturday?
  • Options
    Funny no one has mentioned the snakes!

Yeah, no kidding. I was bitten by one while I was doing yoga the morning of the second day. The top of my foot swelled up like a grapefruit.

Then again, it may have just been the bad batch of LSD that was going around.

So yeah, if you don't like snakes or spiders, definitely don't come.
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    Yeah, no kidding. I was bitten by one while I was doing yoga the morning of the second day. The top of my foot swelled up like a grapefruit.

Then again, it may have just been the bad batch of LSD that was going around.

So yeah, if you don't like snakes or spiders, definitely don't come.

lol!

yeah... everyone should just stay home.