Possible Pittsburgh Show - Rumor Heard on Radio Today!

Comments

• drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    edited March 2010
    Not sure why they don't just have it at First Niagara Pavilion (Post-Gazette). I'd MUCH rather go there for a show, anyway.

Also, I don't really understand this whole "it might interfere with playoffs" argument, unless the it being an old arena making it harder thing is true. MSBC, MSG, TD Garden, Nationwide Arena, and Scottrade Center are ALL hockey arenas. Out of the 10 venues they are playing, 6 will be the home of sports teams that may be in playoffs. That just doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
    Post edited by drew0 on
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
    FTW, I hate Mark Madden. Not sure how he has a job, everyone I know hates him. I remember when Bruce came last year and he was bitching about how no one wanted to go see that (considering he was headlining Bonnaroo a month later and sold out Mellon for the, what, 3rd time in 3 years?)
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • BeeGirl86BeeGirl86 Posts: 172
    I work part-time (nights, weekends, and any spare moments) as a stagehand, and yesterday while we were setting up for Jay-Z (what!what!) at the arena, I talked with our city's Live Nation rep.

Anyways...
    He said that it was between Pittsburgh and Cleveland for the 9th, but Cleveland got it because the guy that books the shows for Pittsburgh also books for Columbus, Cincy, and Cleveland, and Cleveland got it because the Q is a nicer arena (which is 100% true, although I love me some Igloo). He also said that since they put together kind of last minute, it was easier to put it at Cleveland because it is easier to set up for a basketball game for the next night than to get an old arena NHL-worthy for a hockey game the night after.

Anyways...
    I told him about the 12th and how they have a break on the 10th, play the 11th, then have two days off between Buffalo and V.B., and he said that there is discussion, but it is limited because of hockey. The NHL was super-pissed last yeard because the Pens and Caps had to play back to back games, split between the two cities, because the arena booked Yanni well in advanced of the playoffs. Our Live Nation guy told me that because of that, and because of how shitty the ice is in Pittsburgh (if you're a hockey fan, you'll know what I'm talking about-a rock concert destroys the quality of the ice), the possiblity of a rock concert is a long shot in Pittsburgh during the playoffs this year. He said that they are trying for it, but it's all speculation now.

I also asked about booking Starlake, and he said he's heard nothing yet, but he was going to check for me.

I hope the ice quality thing makes sense. If it doesn't, another Pens hockey fan can explain how bad that arenas ice is.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(
    I miss you alreddie.
  • Ice quality in the Mellon is bad because of the regional climate (humidity destroys the ice quality) and because of poor air circulation in the antiquated building. Having a concert exacerbates these problems (more people in the arena, doors being open for extended periods of time, etc); it's not the concert itself that does the damage. Putting a stage on the floor doesn't damage the ice.

Teams are required to keep certain dates open, but the NHL can't stop concerts being played in the arena because it might ruin the quality of the ice. And considering the money involved in hosting an event, the people involved with booking shows aren't going to do the NHL any solids.

Man, I would love to celebrate a Pens second round series victory by going to see Pearl Jam the next night in the same building...
    YNWA
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    Ice quality in the Mellon is bad because of the regional climate (humidity destroys the ice quality) and because of poor air circulation in the antiquated building. Having a concert exacerbates these problems (more people in the arena, doors being open for extended periods of time, etc); it's not the concert itself that does the damage. Putting a stage on the floor doesn't damage the ice.

Teams are required to keep certain dates open, but the NHL can't stop concerts being played in the arena because it might ruin the quality of the ice. And considering the money involved in hosting an event, the people involved with booking shows aren't going to do the NHL any solids.

Man, I would love to celebrate a Pens second round series victory by going to see Pearl Jam the next night in the same building...
    unless we play the devils...how embarrassing was our defense tonight?!
  • gndcd402 wrote:

God...it wasn't like the Devils were playing spectacular offensive hockey, either. We simply made THE most egregious turnovers I have ever seen a professional hockey team commit. Letang on the first goal. Guerin on the second. Giving up TWO shorthanded breakaways...on the same power play...on two sequential rushes. Leopold with a blind backhanded pass through the middle that they teach you not to do in fucking peewee hockey...Christ.

And the Devils. The franchise that perfected such a mind-bogglingly, soul-suckingly boring style of play that they single-handedly removed hockey from the mainstream and almost killed an entire professional sports league. And I repeat: single-handedly. This is not lingering resentment that they beat the Penguins in a couple playoff series; I will never forgive them for ruining the sport I love. Even when the Penguins beat the Devils, it would have been better if I had just gouged my eyes out with a red-hot branding iron while listening to Lady Gaga sing along to Ron Burgundy on jazz flute instead of sitting through those 2.5 hours of Devil hockey. I hope every PJ fan from New Jersey reads this. I hate your hockey team. I hate them. I want them to move to Quebec City and never return, and I will pay tens of thousands of dollars for a front-row seat when they implode your former arena.
    YNWA
    gndcd402 wrote:

God...it wasn't like the Devils were playing spectacular offensive hockey, either. We simply made THE most egregious turnovers I have ever seen a professional hockey team commit. Letang on the first goal. Guerin on the second. Giving up TWO shorthanded breakaways...on the same power play...on two sequential rushes. Leopold with a blind backhanded pass through the middle that they teach you not to do in fucking peewee hockey...Christ.

And the Devils. The franchise that perfected such a mind-bogglingly, soul-suckingly boring style of play that they single-handedly removed hockey from the mainstream and almost killed an entire professional sports league. And I repeat: single-handedly. This is not lingering resentment that they beat the Penguins in a couple playoff series; I will never forgive them for ruining the sport I love. Even when the Penguins beat the Devils, it would have been better if I had just gouged my eyes out with a red-hot branding iron while listening to Lady Gaga sing along to Ron Burgundy on jazz flute instead of sitting through those 2.5 hours of Devil hockey. I hope every PJ fan from New Jersey reads this. I hate your hockey team. I hate them. I want them to move to Quebec City and never return, and I will pay tens of thousands of dollars for a front-row seat when they implode your former arena.
    i saw them at mellon in december when brodeur broke the all-time shutout record. i swear it was so boring i couldve taken a nap in the arena...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    RP44011 wrote:
    I called Tenclub and they said they could not confirm or deny a Pittsburgh show.....

"can't confirm or deny" almost always means the rumor is true :thumbup: . At least where I work, it does.

P.S. this Madden guy must be a real jewel.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    Bump
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Well if you are going to talk hockey...I am still pissed at Sidney Crosby for winning gold.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
    I'm guessing if it is true, it will be announced with other shows. Does the Ten Club normally say they can't "confirm or deny" ANYTHING?

I'm just hoping they play at First Niagara on 5/12. Would LOVE it...Sugarland is there sometime around then, so it will obviously be open for business...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    gndcd402 wrote:

Nothing better than hockey at the Rock, St. Patty's and kicking some Penguin butt (oh and get hartford tix before I left the office :D ) :twisted: :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    ...and kicking some Penguin butt

You looking for a fight, big man? :twisted:
  • nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    gndcd402 wrote:

lol...as a Penguins fan living in Toronto, I concur with this 100%...I'd love to see the day where the trapping style of hockey is gone forever...I know the new rule changes were supposed to alleviate that, but watching the Devils play is like watching paint dry..
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

• m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    i heard the same thing mentioned on the radio , i am friends with Mark Madden ,
    and all he told me was yes there is a rumor that they are coming to Pitts
    no date yet
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • :lol::lol: i agree with EVERYTHING ive read oin this thread

madden is a tool

our ice is terrible (cant wait for consol!!!)

last night was horrible, you guys covered the issues already, turnovers...

the devils and the goddam trap is the worst thing to happen to north american professional sports EVER!!!

lets get a pj show ina burgh then, yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    m0jorisen wrote:
    no date yet

You're friends with Mark Madden? How's that working out? :lol::D
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    Unfortunately these rumors sound awfully vague for a show that would probably be May 12th. Hope they prove me wrong and play there!
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    cdp1223 wrote:
    m0jorisen wrote:
    no date yet

you know the dude on the radio
    i know the dude off the radio
    and the yinzers fall for the act
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
    I emailed them about Pittsburgh on 5/12, because I was bored, and got this:

We have no information at this time on the TBD show.

Stay Posted.

Not sure what that means. Considering I specifically asked about 5/12 and they replied with the TBD show (5/18), I found it a little funny.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • RP44011RP44011 Posts: 10
    I got an email from tenclub and got excited, thinking maybe it was for a Pittsburgh show addition, but it was for more seats at MSG........
    Just got off the phone with Ten club, they said don't get hopes up on a Pittsburgh show..... :cry:
    m0jorisen wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    m0jorisen wrote:
    no date yet

you know the dude on the radio
    i know the dude off the radio
    and the yinzers fall for the act
    Have you met him at Blush or something?? :lol:
  • ^yo bro by the way i did not make it out to ten at alter bar the other night. did you?
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
    ^yo bro by the way i did not make it out to ten at alter bar the other night. did you?
    hell yea i was there! my buddy's girlfriend almost threw down and beat up some other girls :lol:
  • superfuzz30superfuzz30 Posts: 399
    I'll see him at a roller hockey tourney this weekend...I'll ask him about it.
  • Seems like people are getting conflicting reports from 10C...I guess just wait and see at this point. It does seem like there is at least some possibility of a show, though.
    YNWA
    Ziggy I hope you are right......
  • davety76davety76 Posts: 11
    I made up this rumor: PJ opening Consol Energy Center
  • shanehamshaneham Posts: 8
    Already been announced lady gaga will open Consol Energy Center...