Only one way to solve the presale problem

chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
edited March 2010 in The Porch
outsourcing.

There is no reason for 10C to upgrade servers for a week worth of heavy usuage a year. So its time to call up TM or Comcasttix and inquire about them hosting the 10C presales. They both work off proven technology and with member specific passwords, would help eliminate scalpers getting tickets. However, I have a feeling it could lead to an influx of "new" 10C members (read scalpers) trying to get their hand on tickets. But with a 1 pair per member per credit card restriction it would also limit scapler inflitration.

Just my thoughts on the debacle that we now call presale days... at least presale days for major city dates. Just an attempt to limit the stress and uncertainty that presale days now bring. And I mean its not like we don't pay handling or venue fees now anyway....
This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I agree! if you can't beat 'em join 'em
  • They don't even need to do that. They can use something like Amazon's S3 service which is specifically meant for things like this - high traffic for a period of time. It's cloud computing meaning the site is actually on a bunch of computers and you get the data closest to you and free. And they only pay for the bandwith they use. For a few days a year it's more than worth it and it's affordable. I'm sure they could easily set that up instead of this horrible way they've been doing things for years now.
  • coachchriscoachchris Posts: 749
    I didn't even try to get tickets for any of the shows this tour but I can feel for everyone frustrated with the way things work around here during ticket time.

My question is, how much would it cost to have the operation run smoothly as it does with Ticketmaster? I really know nothing about computers. Are we talking $10 or are we talking $100 000?

It's simply my opinion but I think if 10c could tell us "The system is going to run smoothly for 15 minutes and then tickets will be gone. Some of you will be shut out but we've done our best to make things run smoother on our end. Good Luck!" we'd all be happy with that and understand the whole supply vs. demand issue.

I'm sure 99% of us wouldn't have a problem to the cost of the fanclub increasing $5 or $10 to help cover the cost of a better server or whatever you guys are talking about :lol:

I would also believe that out of all the 10c members there has to be atleast one person here who could contact 10c and set this all up for them since they apparently aren't doing it themselves :?:
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,457
    chromiam wrote:
    outsourcing.

There is no reason for 10C to upgrade servers for a week worth of heavy usuage a year. So its time to call up TM or Comcasttix and inquire about them hosting the 10C presales. They both work off proven technology and with member specific passwords, would help eliminate scalpers getting tickets. However, I have a feeling it could lead to an influx of "new" 10C members (read scalpers) trying to get their hand on tickets. But with a 1 pair per member per credit card restriction it would also limit scapler inflitration.

Just my thoughts on the debacle that we now call presale days... at least presale days for major city dates. Just an attempt to limit the stress and uncertainty that presale days now bring. And I mean its not like we don't pay handling or venue fees now anyway....
    I had this exact same conversation with Marybeth yesterday.....

Outsourcing is the answer....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    edited March 2010
    The system is fine. Not everyone can get a ticket. My goodness. There were probably 250,000 people trying for 12,000 tickets. The East Coast big shows(Philly and NY) are the hardest to get. Try Ct tomorrow, I guarantee you get them no problem.

I got shut out of the first 2 spectrum shows and was upset, but I definitely didn't cry and write the ten club crying about it. I knew it was a gamble and I lost. Luckily they added 2 more shows and I got in. You can't get into every show you want.
    Post edited by RedMosquito22 on
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    chromiam wrote:
    outsourcing.

microsoft-call-center.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The system is fine. Not everyone can get a ticket. My goodness. There were probably 250,000 people trying for 12,000 tickets. The East Coast big shows(Philly and NY) are the hardest to get. Try Ct tomorrow, I guarantee you get them no problem.
    The system is FAR from fine.....
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    chromiam wrote:
    outsourcing.

great minds think alike... hahahahahaha

and I wasn't even trying for tickets yesterday, but I know some of the frustration people must have been feeling
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

chromiam wrote:

great minds think alike... hahahahahaha

and I wasn't even trying for tickets yesterday, but I know some of the frustration people must have been feeling
    Yep...

It sickens me, that a bunch of my friends got shut out....It really does....

You wait all year, you pay your dues, you buy the posters, you buy the $150 10 re-release, you buy the hoodies......Then you get SHUT OUT for shows??? FUCK!!!!!

I now have a list in front of me of friends who got shut out....I will try my damdest for a few weeks, to help......Because I am SPEEDYFUCKINGMCCREADY!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah right.....hehehehe Hopefully I can find tickets for 1 or 2 friends......I will try anyway....
    edited March 2010
    The system is FAR from fine.....

It's only far from fine because you didn't get tickets. They aren't going to let ticketmaster distribute them and make the tickets $30 more expensive per ticket. This process is a gamble and you lost this time. I lost for 2 philly shows and got shut out of the Eddie solo tour but I didn't cry like a baby about it. Just go to a different show. There is one on sale today that is about a half hour away form NYC. There were around 12,000 tickets going up yesterday and about 200,000 going for them, you had about a 10% chance of getting them. You would complain even if you got shut out through ticketmaster, so what difference does it make. I kept getting booted when they were in my cart for an hour and a half, I just kept trying and trying and it finally went through.

Everyone thinks they are entitled something in this fan club and they aren't. If you are lucky enough to get 10 club tickets good for you, if not just buy them elsewhere or try a different show. Not everyone in the fan club can attend the msg show. It's just life and sometimes life isn't fair.
    Post edited by RedMosquito22 on
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
    edited March 2010

I got shut out of the first 2 spectrum shows and was upset, but I definitely didn't cry and write the ten club crying about it. I knew it was a gamble and I lost. Luckily they added 2 more shows and I got in. You can't get into every show you want.

I think you miss the point here... its not about getting a ticket or not (we all know that tickets are limited and major city dates are highly sought). The problem is trying to get on the site or being on the site for 6 HOURS refreshing a page that says that tickets are temporarily out of stock or having tickets in your cart and not being able to check out because a timeout error, or checking out when there is apparently nothing in your cart or having your credit card charged 7 times and never having the transaction processed screen load.... among many other ridiculous incidents that have happened the last few times tickets have been sold.

It's a horrible way to do business and 10C should step up and own it and say they will find ways to change it... hell if they shut down the entire site except for the goods page during pre-sales, I don't think anyone would complain, as long as it helped.
    Post edited by chromiam on

Admin

• vierellovierello Posts: 32
    The only way to solve the problem is to limit the number of shows you can buy fan club tickets to. You should only be able to get fan club tickets to one maybe two shows at the most. If you want to follow them around to different places then buy public sale tickets for the shows you don't get fan club tickets to. This would eliminate the problem of one person getting fan club tickets to 8 out of 11 shows and another person who can only go to one or only wants to go to one getting shut out of that one show. I just think they need to do whatever they can to come as close to gauranteeing that anyone that wants to go to a show using fan club tickets can go to a show. Granted some of the more popular venues would still be "high traffic" but the traffic would be much less than it is now, and I think there would be many more happy fan club members. Even if you outsource, there are going to be people that get fan club tix to multiple shows and people that don't get any, they have to limit that in order for it to get better.
  • FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    Even if the 10C got a bigger server which would speed up ticket sales, the same people would bitch for missing out on tickets because they were gone so quickly. Instead of bottle-necking and delays,etc, it'd be like ticketmaster where tickets are on sale for 4 minutes and then gone. So to summarize, people would still bitch bout being screwed out of tix - just instead of a long sale, it'd be quick.
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    chromiam wrote:
    outsourcing.

After all these years, it is apparent that it is the only answer, it Has to be.

The frustration just continues to mount and it's just not right.
    Certainly not the way to treat the most loyal of your fans.
    Nice shirt.
    chromiam wrote:

I think you miss the point here... its not about getting a ticket or not (we all know that tickets are limited and major city dates are highly sought). The problem is trying to get on the site or being on the site for 6 HOURS refreshing a page that says that tickets are temporarily out of stock or having tickets in your cart and not being able to check out because a timeout error, or checking out when there is apparently nothing in your cart or having your credit card charged 7 times and never having the transaction processed screen load.... among many other ridiculous incidents that have happened the last few times tickets have been sold.

It's a horrible way to do business and 10C should step up and own it and say they will find ways to change it... hell if they shut down the entire site except for the goods page during pre-sales, I don't think anyone would complain, as long as it helped.

If they were in your cart and you gave up or hit refresh because of an error that's your fault. you hit the back arrow and keep trying. I had them in my cart for almost 2 hours because of timeout problems. You just keep doing it until they go through. If you would have stuck with it you probably would have had them.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    I'm not reading through all of the responses, but there is no way that I want these tickets in the hands of anybody other than the band!
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • vierellovierello Posts: 32
    chromiam wrote:

If they were in your cart and you gave up or hit refresh because of an error that's your fault. you hit the back arrow and keep trying. I had them in my cart for almost 2 hours because of timeout problems. You just keep doing it until they go through. If you would have stuck with it you probably would have had them.

You don't see a problem with that? Having to sit there for 2 hours and wait for a sale to go through. If you were to go to amazon.com and buy something there and you had to wait 2 hours for your sale to go through, you would not be using that site anymore after that experience. The point is that there has to be a better way to do this, noone should have to sit and wait for 2 hours to finalize a sale, much less 6 hours only to find out that you didn't get tickets at all.

If you happened to read alittle, you would notice that I wasn't even trying for tickets yesterday, however I was listing the myriad of problems that people had/ have had with the current system. And I'm sure they all heeded your great advice and continued to refresh and back arrow for hours.

But how do explain those who have multiple CC charges or checked out with seemingly nothing in their carts??? Ohh that's right the system is fine, I got tickets so all is right with the world and 10C.

Admin

• dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    I'm not on here to complain, but seeing all the posts about the presale process has had me thinking about it. Maybe they could change the presale rules so that 10c member logins were restricted based on seniority. Let's say that on the first day of presales all the shows go on sale and each member is only allowed to buy tickets to 1 show. Then limit the logins to the Goods section so from 8am - 9am 10c member numbers 1-50XXX are allowed to login, then from 9am-10am 10c members 1-100XXX are allowed to login, etc. Then the rest of the week, the rest of the tickets are first come first serve. Keep the lottery in place for rows 1-2 & 9-10 so newer members still have a shot at seats up front.

Just brainstorming, no matter what system they put in place people will complain about it. What other ideas do you guys have to make it better?
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,446
    demetrios wrote:
    Someday oh someday, there will be 10club only show's for these huge events. Where no fan's miss out. For example set a rule that on this day, for 24 hour's only, the MSG ticket's will be available for 10club member's. After the 24 hour window, what ever seats are left, give that amount of seats to the box office and let them do whatever they want.

Doubt this rule will ever work out in the future. But imo, it would be the greatest thing ever!
    In business, you want all your paying fan club member's to be happy, right?
    You don't want complaints & hate for the business, right?
    If the events/arena doesn't allow this practice, find another place to do your business.
    Though if all events/arenas are owned & operated by Ticketmaster, your fucked.
    Try to find an arena that is not owned or operated by Live Nation & Ticketmaster.
    Try it out & see. Cause if it works, and yes, it will work ..
    I want 20% of the cut! :mrgreen:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I don't get why some people here, like in this thread, who tried and got tix after an hour or little over don't get the frustration of those who sat hours past that still trying to get tix because the sold out didn't go up until 4 hours after the sale start. That is the problem, not the fact we didn't get the tix it was the method. You get shut out you deal with it, like a 4 minute sale on TM , you're shut out disappointed but much preferred to sitting for 4-6 hrs.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    pandora wrote:
    I don't get why some people here, like in this thread, who tried and got tix after an hour or little over don't get the frustration of those who sat hours past that still trying to get tix because the sold out didn't go up until 4 hours after the sale start. That is the problem, not the fact we didn't get the tix it was the method. You get shut out you deal with it, like a 4 minute sale on TM , you're shut out disappointed but much preferred to sitting for 4-6 hrs.

1. it has been this way for years. I know, that doesnt make it right, but we all know what to expect. I was not trying for NY or Boston, but have tried for tough shows before.

2. I will never agree that TM's method is better. the reason those sales are over within minutes is because TM (a) allows scalpers to use software to breach their system and grab a buttload tickets while you're still trying to figure out what the fuck those squiggly letters are, and (b) they scalp their own tickets through their own broker company (TicketsNow or whatever its called). at least here I know that it is other fans getting the tickets.

3. all of these shows have general sales too. yes, 10C seats are usually awesome, but its not like the Vic where you have no other option.

I'm not a computer guy so I cant really suggest how to make it better, I do wish the servers could handle the volume better, but I cant join in with everyone slamming 10C over this now.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • schappschapp Posts: 160

If there were so many timeout problems, it is because the system cannot handle all of the requests; this would be fine 10 years ago... but now there's enough technology to be able to avoid those issues. I got tickets for both shows, but the only reason I did was because I'm probably more computer-versed and could figure out what to do... ohhh, and I had 3 hours to spare.... and I was patient enough. None of the 3 should've been necessary though.

As a comparison with the other 3 fan clubs I'm part of (Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC), it took me less than a minute to secure tickets for all those shows through Ticketmaster; their flaw is that they let people to register and score tickets even after the tour leg has been announced and don't really take seniority into consideration, which is something I love about PJ (even while being a newbie around here, since July last year).

Just today I got tickets for Iron Maiden within the minute and was charged a 13USD fee overall vs 6.50US in TC. Yes, I rather give those 6.50 to the bands instead of Ticketmaster (which I don't like at all, but at least during the presales I've haven't had scalper issues so far) , but you cannot possibly say that it is people's fault they lost their tickets or that they couldn't figure out the links to buy specific shows are sequential to save a step. And if spending an extra 6.50 means that one can get its tickets right away or at least know they sold out in 15 minutes, I rather pay for it.

You have no idea how nervous I was about having to revive yesterday's ordeal with today's Iron Maiden presale; everything was a breeze, and those $6.50 extra were well invested.

I'd wished to have an Hybrid fan club: Use a reliable ticket service (whether in-house or outsourced, but reliable) , with a 2-4 ticket limit during the pre-sale (at least during the first hours) to the fans that have been with the club before the shows have been announced.
  • schappschapp Posts: 160
    I'm not a computer guy so I cant really suggest how to make it better, I do wish the servers could handle the volume better, but I cant join in with everyone slamming 10C over this now.

It's not a matter of slamming anyone, at least from my end; it's more like a way of asking them to handle it better the next time.

I will never think they were planning for this to happen (yes, lets only allow 50 concurrent connections so everybody else gets dead-nervous), but once it happened, they can take measures to improve.
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,387
    TM pre-sales are usually only password protected, which of course, leaks to the net. If it's only password protected, does that help anyone? At least this way, they know you are a member. Or do other fan clubs using TM verify tickets against their membership roster?
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

The system is far from fine u serious. And i got tickets to both shows. We all understand its a crapshoot but when you are lucky enough to get the buy button but can't get to checkout that's were the biggiest problem is. We had no clue we had tickets because you couldn't look in your cart without it timing out. if they somehow separted the purchase and checkout procedure i think that would make a huge difference.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

1. it has been this way for years. I know, that doesnt make it right, but we all know what to expect. I was not trying for NY or Boston, but have tried for tough shows before.

2. I will never agree that TM's method is better. the reason those sales are over within minutes is because TM (a) allows scalpers to use software to breach their system and grab a buttload tickets while you're still trying to figure out what the fuck those squiggly letters are, and (b) they scalp their own tickets through their own broker company (TicketsNow or whatever its called). at least here I know that it is other fans getting the tickets.

3. all of these shows have general sales too. yes, 10C seats are usually awesome, but its not like the Vic where you have no other option.

The system they used where you get in for the concerts you want give your cc # and wait to see if you were lucky enough to get tix announced via email, was by far better than this. I've been trying for a few years so I do know its messed up but above and beyond that something happened yesterday that the sold outs couldn't be posted for hours and hours. I'm assuming on TM I will be just as shut out as scalpers are able to get their tix also. Usually end up going with scalpers :(
    but I'm hoping Hartford will be lucky for us as its our 29th anniversary and we want to spend it with Pearl Jam BUT if they haven't fixed anything it will probably be just as frustrating as its another high demand show.
  • Honestly what were the big issues? I was reading the posts all day and was all nervous but I logged in both for the STL and Indiana tickets with no problem. I also logged in right at the time they were suppose to start. The only scary thing I had happen is that it took about 5 mintues to complete my sale for Indiana because it took a bit to load each window as I went through the windows to complete the sale.

Honestly there a lot of factors beside the site being over loaded. Sometimes a persons interent connection can really affect their productivity in times like this. I also agree with some of the others that not everyone can get tickets because unfortunatly there are much more of us than there are tickets.

I don't mean to start a nasty pissing match but I've heard a lot of complaining on this board and it bothers me because first we were complaining about no tour, then it was ticket prices, now it's the site.

Jesus, either enjoy the band or don't...all of us have missed out on fan club tickets every now and again, deal with it. Buck up and buy them on Friday, it is what I would be doing if something went astray for me as well.

Peace out, feel the love that Pearl Jam puts out there don't be so negative. The band really doesn't owe us shit, their just guys who write great songs and were fortunate enough to make a living of it.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • MW64712MW64712 Posts: 4
    that is really the only way to fix it. give it to TM or someone to do and be done with it. the price of the ticket is not going to be that much more and frankly, they are selling 99% of their seats thru them on the regular onsale so i don't see what the big deal is. if the ticket was $10 bucks more, but it was over in 15 min, i'd pay that for the conveience and lack of frustration this all caused.

i think we all would be much less pissed about all this if it was done and over with in 15 min vs. 4 hours....i think that is the major bitch. if i have a real shot at getting them, like everyone else, then fine but to sit for 3 hours waiting for this shit to be over cause "it might NOT be over since it still says TEMPORARILY" and folks at 1 hour are pulling seats or i have the buy button for 40 minutes and all the page does is time out.....its frustrating as hell. on a TM site or another that can handle the traffic, this would be over in 15 min. i would be bummed i didn't get them but i wouldn't be completely PISSED for wasting 2-3 hours and then not getting them....i seriously think that if it went fast and smooth, even if you got timed out but it was over in 15 min, i think we'd all take it like it is, its a sprint to the finish, some make it some don't, but it surely wouldn't be as painful as this process was for MSG...or boston. we changed our plans and are going to columbus and cleveland, we'll probably have better seats due to less demand but the gigs compared to MSG....who knows....probably won't stand up, but i'm happy to get to see them again twice this mini tour. rock on boys and keep the faith, i hope 10C sees the light here and does the right thing.
  • To many people using multiple computers = bottle neck

What did the 10C say . . .

• DO NOT LOGIN USING MULTIPLE COMPUTERS!!!!! This creates a bottle neck of web traffic which can result in site failure and loss of ticket order. We can not stress this one enough.

We can not stress this one enough. We can not stress this one enough. We can not stress this one enough.

People who got shut out should be mad at people like "ssdr18".

"two computers up and 3 browsers"

Sad fact . . . . a lot of 10C members logon using multiple computers . . . .

Their are also a lot of 10C members that are scam artists . . . multiple memberships (brother, sister, uncle, etc) . . . having 10C tickets to a show but trying upgrade their location by saying they don't have 10C tickets. There is a group of gals that always find some willing partner to split a pair of 10C tickets in a better location than their own 10C seats. I just have to laugh at these people . . . pathetic.

I know a 10C member in Florida that works in an IT department and uses his staff to run 6 computers with 3 memberships (himself, mom, and brother) to buy tickets to NYC shows.

There is a segment of 10C members that are kind of slimy.