The Ten Club server is not the problem...

on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,970
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I realize everyone is frustrated with the ticket sales today, but I really don't see how getting a faster server will help change things all that much.

The problem is that the supply of tickets does not equal the demand. The only thing a faster server will guarantee is that the tickets sell out faster.

The way some people talk on here, they make it sound like everyone who wanted tickets would get them if only the server was faster. That's not the case... the same number of people would have ended up with them and the same number of people would be disappointed that they got shut out no matter the speed of the server.

It would just be more efficient with a faster server, which I guess would at least eliminate the need for people to keep hitting refresh for 4+ hours.
1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    If I were to get shut out of tickets, I would rather know that I'm shut out in 10 minutes vs. 4 hours
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    on2legs wrote:
    I realize everyone is frustrated with the ticket sales today, but I really don't see how getting a faster server will help change things all that much.

The problem is that the supply of tickets does not equal the demand. The only thing a faster server will guarantee is that the tickets sell out faster.

The way some people talk on here, they make it sound like everyone who wanted tickets would get them if only the server was faster. That's not the case... the same number of people would have ended up with them and the same number of people would be disappointed that they got shut out no matter the speed of the server.

It would just be more efficient with a faster server, which I guess would at least eliminate the need for people to keep hitting refresh for 4+ hours.

i think that's most people's main beef. who wants to spend half the day refreshing. stressing, and still being shut out? totally understandable. it IS a harrowing experience, whether you score or not. that is all.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    thats what they want . who the fuck wants to sit around all day hitting refresh . OMG who made this . Check yourself !! :o
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2010
    Yes, but them selling out faster would ease hours of frustration for hundreds/thousands (whatever) number of fans who sit there constantly refreshing, waiting for that elusive "buy" button, just to click on it and get an error message, get booted, get tickets in their cart, only for them to disappear as they're entering their credit card details (this happened to me today). I called 10c, they were zero help. Told me: "there are still tickets available, keep trying, everyone's in the same boat." To me, that's unacceptable. It shows a lack of respect for everyone's time. I think it's absolutely insane to sit there for hours of end, knowing there are still tickets around. Today was ridiculous. I'm beyond angry and I really need to get off the computer right now, cause I'm sick of the site of it.

I live in NYC, I am now 0 for 4 in 10c presales at MSG (since I've lived in NYC). I live 20 blocks from MSG and I can't get friggin 10c tickets. I got Ticketbastard tickets last time and I really didn't want to have to do that again.
    Post edited by Tone on
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • mgiustomgiusto Posts: 66
    on2legs wrote:

This is just not true. I was able to get the BUY button 5 times for the 5/21 show. When you get to that page, it says you have the tickets and they will be held for 10 minutes while you complete the order. If the next page won't load after I click the BUY button because their servers suck, DID I REALLY HAVE THE TICKETS in the first place?

If I have the tickets when I see the BUY button, that should be it. But with these servers, you are still no where's close to having anything. Then you still have another 2 or 3 pages to get thru before you finally check-out and are confirmed. With these servers you can crap out on any of those pages and be hosed and would have to start back at the beginning all over again... and remember, I had the BUY button at least 5 times!
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,970
    i think that's most people's main beef. who wants to spend half the day refreshing. stressing, and still being shut out? totally understandable. it IS a harrowing experience, whether you score or not. that is all.

Agreed.

But so many people complain that the reason they got shut out was because the server was too slow. And my point is that you could be shut out just as easily with a fast server since there are not enough tickets to meet the demand. So in terms of your chances to get tickets, the speed of the server is irrelevant.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    the point is not supply vs. demand. we all realize the economics of the situation. it's the fact that some of us never had a chance. i refreshes at 3:00 on the dot and i never saw the light of day again until they were already all gone. i refreshed for 5 hours. every time it took my page about a minute to load and i may have seen the buy button only once in that 5 hours. pathetic system.
  • crittablescrittables Posts: 342
    If I were to get shut out of tickets, I would rather know that I'm shut out in 10 minutes vs. 4 hours

exactly. i mean i'm all for wasting time at work, but this was just ridiculous
    snipes824 wrote:
    the point is not supply vs. demand. we all realize the economics of the situation. it's the fact that some of us never had a chance. i refreshes at 3:00 on the dot and i never saw the light of day again until they were already all gone. i refreshed for 5 hours. every time it took my page about a minute to load and i may have seen the buy button only once in that 5 hours. pathetic system.

Supply vs. demand is exactly the point.

I swear I got the buy button for MSG2 at least 50 times (this is no exaggeration), I had MSG1 tix in my cart twice. I can give you verbatim the error message pages I got after hitting "buy"... not to mention that "you just ripped our face off" page. I got diddly squat!
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    Tone wrote:
    Yes, but them selling out faster would ease hours of frustration for hundreds/thousands (whatever) number of fans who sit there constantly refreshing, waiting for that elusive "buy" button, just to click on it and get an error message, get booted, get tickets in their cart, only for them to disappear as they're entering their credit card details (this happened to me today). I called 10c, they were zero help. Told me: "there are still tickets available, keep trying, everyone's in the same boat." To me, that's unacceptable. It shows a lack of respect for everyone's time. I think it's absolutely insane to sit there for hours of end, knowing there are still tickets around. Today was ridiculous. I'm beyond angry and I really need to get off the computer right now, cause I'm sick of the site of it.

I live in NYC, I am now 0 for 4 in 10c presales at MSG (since I've lived in NYC). I live 20 blocks from MSG and I can't get friggin 10c tickets. I got Ticketbastard tickets last time and I really didn't want to have to do that again.
    i just want to add to your 10 club response... here's their response to an e-mail, basically being sarcastic to their customers

"We are sorry you were unable to get tickets to the Boston show. Due to supply and demand we never guarantee tickets to all fan club members. As you can see all the tickets from yesterdays pre-sale are still on the site. There are difficult markets, and not so difficult markets so your situation is specific to the show you want to go to, and not a money making scheme. Boston, NY, and DC will all be this way due to the volume of tickets versus number of fans. There’s not a whole lot we can do about that. The server did not crash. Having more fans logged in than tickets available causes a bottleneck at the door.

We apologize that you live in an area of the country where this is the ticket sale norm and understand if you’d rather not renew and buy your tickets through Ticketmaster’s service only.

-10c "
    on2legs wrote:

Agreed.

But so many people complain that the reason they got shut out was because the server was too slow. And my point is that you could be shut out just as easily with a fast server since there are not enough tickets to meet the demand. So in terms of your chances to get tickets, the speed of the server is irrelevant.

however....if you got the buy button, or input your cc info, etc....and then it crashed....yea, to a certain extent, you can blame the servers. that's all.

i do think at this point, 10c is well aware of the issues, but they are just not going to invest funds to solve the problem. i sorta understand, and just try and deal with the situation as best i can. people who don't follow this band just do NOT understand the difficulties involved, but whatever. i was fortunate, but i do understand the frustrations.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

gndcd402 wrote:
    Tone wrote:

i just want to add to your 10 club response... here's their response to an e-mail, basically being sarcastic to their customers

"We are sorry you were unable to get tickets to the Boston show. Due to supply and demand we never guarantee tickets to all fan club members. As you can see all the tickets from yesterdays pre-sale are still on the site. There are difficult markets, and not so difficult markets so your situation is specific to the show you want to go to, and not a money making scheme. Boston, NY, and DC will all be this way due to the volume of tickets versus number of fans. There’s not a whole lot we can do about that. The server did not crash. Having more fans logged in than tickets available causes a bottleneck at the door.

We apologize that you live in an area of the country where this is the ticket sale norm and understand if you’d rather not renew and buy your tickets through Ticketmaster’s service only.

-10c "

In all fairness... you should post the email you sent to them if you are going to criticize their response.

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Supply and demand. Simple concept. 10000 tickets available. 50000 people want them. Not enough to go around.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • I'm just wondering if the 433 users logged in right now are still trying for tickets? :lol::lol:
    NERDS!
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    on2legs wrote:
    snipes824 wrote:

Supply vs. demand is exactly the point.
    it's your flawed point.

yes the demand far outweighs supply. but that isn't the reason why many of us never saw a buy button. that is on the server. if i had seen a buy button right at 3 on a fast server and they sold out in 20 seconds then more power to the quick fingers. but when the site crashes for you before you even see the NY ticket pair show up on the page? that's a server issue.
    edited March 2010
    gndcd402 wrote:

-10c "

sarcastic?
    i thought it read as honest.
    that is THE conundrum we NE fans have; lots of shows b/c of crazy high demand. tis the nature of the beast there. personally, i'll take it over living in an area where they rarely, if ever, frequent. i also know my worst 10c seats will always be at my hometown shows...but hell..i get hometown shows often. so for me, it all balances in my favor.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

on2legs wrote:

Agreed.

however....if you got the buy button, or input your cc info, etc....and then it crashed....yea, to a certain extent, you can blame the servers. that's all.

Yes.. but if the server was faster 300 other people might have beaten you to the buy button and you would never have had the chance to even make it to the check out phase.

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    I agree. You have to figure that for Boston/MSG they had what, 1000-2000 pairs available? Then you figure the entire northeast, plus others from Europe and westcoast etc are all trying for tickets. The demand was just way to high.

There must be enough fanclub members in just those cities to buy up the available tickets. When you see that people from NY/MA are going for both Boston and MSG it's clear why the process was slow.

Sure, it would be nice to not have to be at the computer for long periods of time, but I really don't think anything will change anytime soon.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    on2legs wrote:

Yes.. but if the server was faster 300 other people might have beaten you to the buy button and you would never have had the chance to even make it to the check out phase.

perhaps.
    it's all hypothetical.
    point is, more efficiency would simply make the whole procedure less STRESSFUL, and i think everyone can agree that would be a plus. imo, that seems to be the big problem and wht most people get upset about.

it is what it is.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Im not upset about not getting tix, I went to buy them always knowing that was a possibility, Im upset about the 4 hours of refreshing until it finally said OUT OF STOCK :(
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    on2legs wrote:

perhaps.
    it's all hypothetical.
    point is, more efficiency would simply make the whole procedure less STRESSFUL, and i think everyone can agree that would be a plus. imo, that seems to be the big problem and wht most people get upset about.

it is what it is.

Agreed.

Again, I would have no problem if they sold out faster rather than leaving people trying for 5+ hours. That, to me, is utterly ridiculous and shows a lack of respect for our time. Yes, no-one's holding a gun to our heads making us try to get tickets, but that's what we do. I'm all for a faster server if it means never having to experience what I experienced today and the tix sell out faster.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited March 2010
    I doubt very much server quality has anything to do with it. From what I can tell the 10c server is located in a very good centre. It is the dupral content management system that is probably struggling with the number of page requests. Once user is logged in, no caching takes place nad so everything needs to run through the database system. I'll bet my balls, that's where the problem lies. The server itself can probably take many thousands of requests a second, it's the software.

and for the record, I missed out on MSG2 tickets too.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • sounds a lot like posters before this last tour, waiting in line for an hour only to see a guy pay hobos to buy them up before you get them....THEY changed that, so be patient. Ten club always listens and always tries to do the best they can.
    I am married to hrd2imgn!
    I doubt very much server quality has anything to do with it. From what I can tell the 10c server is located in a very good centre. It is the dupral content management system that is probably struggling with the number of page requests. Once user is logged in, no caching takes place nad so everything needs to run through the database system. I'll bet my balls, that's where the problem lies. The server itself can probably take many thousands of requests a second, it's the software.

I just realized that I know nothing about computers.

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    the people who were lucky today are understanding
    the people who spent hours and aren't lucky enough to be going to the show are not so understanding
  • just tinajust tina Posts: 277
    i don't know...selling out faster is more humane that having people sit at their computers for 7 hours. two shows, seven hours, and 0 tickets. exhausted.

so...anyone have an extra for msg 2? :D
    pandora wrote:
    the people who were lucky today are understanding
    the people who spent hours and aren't lucky enough to be going to the show are not so understanding

Indeed... I have no sense of humour or understanding about 10c presales after today.
  • The Website Performance is rediculous! The amount of tickets availabe might not be fixable, but things like long-ass refresh times, pictures not loading, servers crashing, or the anxiety of sitting infront of the computer for 8 hours with littie success, can be fixed.

Hell I would even do it for tickets! Let me know.....