A BETTER WAY (suggestion)!

DT20899DT20899 Posts: 9
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I understand they have a limited number of tickets to sell in the presale, that makes sense. But to have tickets in my cart several times for both MSG shows and never was able to complete the sale due to the site crashing (the "you ripped my face off, try again" page) and it taking more than 10 minutes to get to the point where I could attempt to enter my credit card is not right. I also had the "buy" button more times than I could count but it always timed out after hitting it. I was not affected but I also don't think it is fair to people who are working or in school the day/time the presale starts and can't get to a computer...

I belong to a few fan clubs that handle this differently and I have always found the following the best and most fair way to do this. Give people a multi-day window to get their ticket requests in (the fan club that does this gives you 1 week, but you can make it 24 hours or so). During this process you are going through all the steps, including putting in your credit card information. Then for all the people who put in their requests, randomly choose who gets awarded the tickets and finalize the credit card purchase. This is similar to how PJ used to do it in the "old" days where you mailed in a postcard with a check during an open request window - just do it electronically online.

I would much rather do it this way than to sit on the internet for 6 hours hitting reload a billion times, having the system crash constantly, etc.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    yeah, i agree....i don't know why they don't do it that way....this happens with every tour and for whatever reason they never seem to want to change the system..
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

• "people spent how long trying to get tickets? bwahahaha."
    RitaEdPatti5.jpg
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    If they temporarily added servers for just the presales , this problem would go away. It would cost more $$$ though.
  • EF18638EF18638 Posts: 1
    5 hours...ridiculous. Your idea is the right one. For a band that does so many things right, this is not.
    Ed Finnegan
  • LD3092LD3092 Posts: 1
    I so agree. What a waste of time! So sad when you finally get a Buy option to have the site boot you out.
  • 409409 Posts: 4
    Agreed... its not right. Just because Pearl Jam has alot of dedicated fans, and they're willing to sit for hours doesn't make it acceptable.

Maybe can start a server fund! I would add $1 to the price of my ticket if it meant a new server.
  • I can empathize. I told my wife I didn't even want to deal with it (she made me deal with it anyway...). It's been a nightmare every time, every single frigging time going back to the vote-for-change '04 shows, and it feels like nothing's been done to improve it. Maybe something has been done, but it doesn't feel like it.
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    MrSmith wrote:
    "people spent how long trying to get tickets? bwahahaha."
    RitaEdPatti5.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, I don't mean to laugh at people who did, it's really sad and I feel for them as I know I would have done the same if I still needed tickets. But that picture is funny.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• I agree with this too because they say its First Come First Serve, but its not, its First Thru Server. It doesnt matter if you click to add the tickets to your cart the same moment they go on sale it could still take you an hour, like it did today for me, so random is basically how it is now since no one knows for sure if they will be the ones to get through.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • bferullobferullo Posts: 6
    agreed....we all have a better chance of getting through to TM. Perhaps 10c will read these posts and revamp the system.
  • I tried with no luck to get MSG II tickets (first 10C pre-sale, not my last!)... I'm not going to complain about the servers or whatever, no point in that. I am curious however, why they would choose to sell all 3 major shows on the same day? Anyone know why they wouldn't stagger them out- like do 1 major show a day combined with a couple less popular shows (like the ones that are yet to sell out)?
    "And we don't need those guys 'cause you got me!" -EV
    "I miss you already... I miss you always."

Philly- 10.03.05
    DC- 05.30.06
    Philly- 10.31.09
    NYC- 05.21.10
    Seattle- 07.15.11
    Brooklyn- 10.19.13
    Baltimore!- 10.27.13
    Philly- 4.29.16
  • Between the great suggestions here and the funny with pic of Ed cracking up, mods should sticky this!
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 529
    i'm not a big fan of this suggestion...

but isn't your suggestion the way that the Ed solo shows were sold? i'm not 100% sure because i didn't get to go to any of them, but i think your suggestion is basically how those were done.
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • DT20899DT20899 Posts: 9
    tubes10s wrote:
    but isn't your suggestion the way that the Ed solo shows were sold? i'm not 100% sure because i didn't get to go to any of them, but i think your suggestion is basically how those were done.

No, the Ed solo shows were done the same way as this, and the past few tours. I also emailed my suggestion to the Ten Club last night. I spent 7 hours in front of the computer yesterday trying for MSG 1 & 2 and got nothing. I am not complaining I didn't get anything, I understand how in demand these tickets were - I am complaining about the servers slowness, crashing. I must have gotten the "buy" button at least 15 times each show and not one of them made it all the way to my credit card information, always crashing causing it to time out, etc.. I would much rather take my chances with a lottery of those who wanted tickets, spend 5 minutes putting my request in and crossing my fingers instead of wasting 7 hours (my fault, no one forced me to do it).
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    DT20899 wrote:
    tubes10s wrote:

No, the Ed solo shows were done the same way as this, and the past few tours. I also emailed my suggestion to the Ten Club last night. I spent 7 hours in front of the computer yesterday trying for MSG 1 & 2 and got nothing. I am not complaining I didn't get anything, I understand how in demand these tickets were - I am complaining about the servers slowness, crashing. I must have gotten the "buy" button at least 15 times each show and not one of them made it all the way to my credit card information, always crashing causing it to time out, etc.. I would much rather take my chances with a lottery of those who wanted tickets, spend 5 minutes putting my request in and crossing my fingers instead of wasting 7 hours (my fault, no one forced me to do it).

Agreed
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • susannjsusannj Posts: 664
    DT20899 wrote:
    I understand they have a limited number of tickets to sell in the presale, that makes sense. But to have tickets in my cart several times for both MSG shows and never was able to complete the sale due to the site crashing (the "you ripped my face off, try again" page) and it taking more than 10 minutes to get to the point where I could attempt to enter my credit card is not right. I also had the "buy" button more times than I could count but it always timed out after hitting it. I was not affected but I also don't think it is fair to people who are working or in school the day/time the presale starts and can't get to a computer...

I belong to a few fan clubs that handle this differently and I have always found the following the best and most fair way to do this. Give people a multi-day window to get their ticket requests in (the fan club that does this gives you 1 week, but you can make it 24 hours or so). During this process you are going through all the steps, including putting in your credit card information. Then for all the people who put in their requests, randomly choose who gets awarded the tickets and finalize the credit card purchase. This is similar to how PJ used to do it in the "old" days where you mailed in a postcard with a check during an open request window - just do it electronically online.

I would much rather do it this way than to sit on the internet for 6 hours hitting reload a billion times, having the system crash constantly, etc.

I totally agree there has to be another way. I do know there are other fan clubs that do that. They have "open window period" to request tickets - this way its not a mad dash to try and get tickets at a certain time. Allows everyone a chance - I did get 2 tix for MSG 2 but after 2 hours.
    -See the waves on distant shores, awaiting your arrival...

Stanhope, New Jersey 08-12-1992
    Randall's Island, New York 09-28-1996
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 09-08-1998
    Wantagh, New York 08-24-2000
    New York, New York 07-09-2003
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 06-03-2006
    New York, New York 05-21-2010
    Brooklyn, New York 10-19-2013
    New York, New York 05-01-2016
    New York, New York 09-11-2022
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    with this other way, the same number of people are shut out, and those people would be equally as angry. There would be just as many suggestions on how to change things.
  • Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    the only way this works if there is decent lag time between the pre-sale and the public sale. you need to know if you got pre-sale tickets BEFORE they go on sale to the public. I've gotten tickets the way you describe and have always know if I needed to buy Ticketmaster route with advance notice. Here, we get a shot at pre-sale tickets just days before the public sale.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• MayDay10 wrote:
    with this other way, the same number of people are shut out, and those people would be equally as angry. There would be just as many suggestions on how to change things.

Not true. At least everyone gets a legitimate chance at tickets and there is no stress involved. I challenege you to find one person in the Ten Club and the Warehouse (the Dave Matthews Band fan club) who will say the Ten Club system is better.

I love Pearl Jam, but the Ten Club distribution system is horrible. I can understand that not everyone will get tickets to every show they want, but nobody should have to go through so much trouble to get tickets.

Not everyone's life can revolve around the band. If you happen to be unvailable the minute tickets go on sale, oh well - sucks to be you. Ridiculous! :evil:
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    I totally disagree with this suggestion. Control your own destiny sounds like a better way then a behind the scenes lottery. Take some ownership.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• i like how they have it set up now and hope they don't change it.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    I got Petty tickets in a fan club presale. Logged on and got tickets. it was quick and all. But the tickets seemed to be nowhere near the quality 10c distributes. Nothing was based on seniority. You have to think scalpers were running wild there.
  • I totally disagree with this suggestion. Control your own destiny sounds like a better way then a behind the scenes lottery. Take some ownership.

How exactly does the current system allow you to control your own destiny? I followed the instructions to a T and could not get tickets, and this is actaully the 3rd time this has happened. If only I could take ownership.....
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    I totally disagree with this suggestion. Control your own destiny sounds like a better way then a behind the scenes lottery. Take some ownership.

How exactly does the current system allow you to control your own destiny? I followed the instructions to a T and could not get tickets, and this is actaully the 3rd time this has happened. If only I could take ownership.....

Easy - its up to you to get the tickets - hence you control your destiny. Some people feel better when control is taking out of their hands and then they don't get something (lottery). But to be in charge of your own outcome and then fail is why people are most upset.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

i like how they have it set up now and hope they don't change it.

i agree
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • I totally disagree with this suggestion. Control your own destiny sounds like a better way then a behind the scenes lottery. Take some ownership.

Easy - its up to you to get the tickets - hence you control your destiny. Some people feel better when control is taking out of their hands and then they don't get something (lottery). But to be in charge of your own outcome and then fail is why people are most upset.

If I follow every step the get the tickets and still can't get them, then I really don't control my own destiny. Just curious - how many times have you been shut out from getting tickets?
  • The Lottery is a fair way in my book!! I got 1 out of 2 shows today, but going about this is bullshit. I would rather just send in my info and let them choose randomly. :evil:
  • jarothjaroth Posts: 32
    MayDay10 wrote:

Not true. At least everyone gets a legitimate chance at tickets and there is no stress involved. I challenege you to find one person in the Ten Club and the Warehouse (the Dave Matthews Band fan club) who will say the Ten Club system is better.

I love Pearl Jam, but the Ten Club distribution system is horrible. I can understand that not everyone will get tickets to every show they want, but nobody should have to go through so much trouble to get tickets.

Not everyone's life can revolve around the band. If you happen to be unvailable the minute tickets go on sale, oh well - sucks to be you. Ridiculous! :evil:

Totally agree. I'm in both and I made the same comment to some friends last night. I'd rather spend the five minutes putting in my info and waiting to get a confirmation than the five hours I spent trying to get MSG tickets yesterday. I got for N1, but got shut out for N2. I've only been shut out of one show through a Warehouse presale.

Ten Club should do what they did in 2008 and have a tm presale after the club presale where they send the password out to members.
    8/24/00 - Jones Beach
    9/4/00 - Merriweather Post
    4/28/03 - Spectrum
    6/24/08, 6/25/08 - MSG
    6/29/08 - Tweeter Center
    5/15/10 - XL Center
    5/18/10 - Prudential Center
    5/20/10, 5/21/10 - MSG
    9/2/12 - Made in America
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field
    10/18/13, 10/19/13 - Barclays Center
    9/26/15 - Global Citizen
    5/1/16, 5/2/16 - MSG
    8/5/16, 8/7/16 - Fenway Park
    DT20899 wrote:
    tubes10s wrote:

No, the Ed solo shows last year were NOT done the same way as this. I still have the email from TenClub describing how it was done. From that email...

"IMPORTANT:

You will make your show selection, but this DOES NOT guarantee you will have tickets to the show. You are establishing the OPPORTUNITY to buy tickets only. Your credit card will be "authorized" but funds will not be captured unless you are selected. (These funds may not be available to you for a period of time determined by your card issuing bank. To avoid having immediate funds held by your bank, we suggest NOT using a debit card for the ticket purchase, or maximizing your credit limit on a credit card.)

Once the pre-sale has ended, we will randomly select members to buy the tickets and finalize the ticket purchase.

A confirmation will be sent out once the selection process has ended, prior to the public on-sale, so you will know if you were successful in securing tickets through the Ten Club ... or not.

If you are unsuccessful in obtaining tickets through the Ten Club pre-sale opportunity, we will send an informative email with public on-sale information...."

That system was not nearly as good as the current system is in my opinion, and just as many people still threw little hissy fits when they didn't get tickets.
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    MrSmith wrote:
    "people spent how long trying to get tickets? bwahahaha."
    RitaEdPatti5.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

i was one of them. 4 hours and 20 minutes. fucking awesome.