Is there something wrong with me?

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I like the new Pearl Jam that has a sense of humor and has no problem letting it show on an SNL skit.

I rank Backspacer and Self-Titled in the top half of PJ albums.

I prefer Ed's Into the Wild soundtrack to most PJ albums, and, if given the choice, I would rather see another Ed solo show than a full-band PJ show.

I think Unthought Known, Amongst the Waves, and Got Some are better than most songs on No Code or Yield.

I have no problem with the band trying to market themselves through Target.

About the only thing the guys have done in the past few years to disappoint me was that private show they did for a corporate gathering last year.

Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    nope :D
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    yes
  • DPrival78DPrival78 Posts: 2,263
    I like the new Pearl Jam that has a sense of humor and has no problem letting it show on an SNL skit.

I prefer Ed's Into the Wild soundtrack to most PJ albums, and, if given the choice, I would rather see another Ed solo show than a full-band PJ show.

I think Unthought Known, Against the Waves, and Got Some are better than most songs on No Code or Yield.

About the only thing the guys have done in the past few years to disappoint me was that private show they did for a corporate gathering last year.

for these reasons... sorta.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Well, yes, there is.....but not any of the things listed above. ;):lol:
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,480
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,037
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying the band and thier music as opposed to picking apart their every move like some fans.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    edited March 2010

yes :D

I think Unthought Known, Against the Waves, and Got Some are better than most songs on No Code .
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Not at all, those are your feelings - don't worry about everyone else. :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    There is nothing at all wrong with you, although no code is my favorite album and the full band was alot better than just eddie, but thats my opinion and you have yours and theres nothing wrong with that. :)
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I think Unthought Known, Against the Waves, and Got Some are better than most songs on No Code or Yield
    You cannot be serious about this. There's probably one Pearl Jam fan in every thousand that agree with you on this statement.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I think Unthought Known, Against the Waves, and Got Some are better than most songs on No Code or Yield
    You cannot be serious about this. There's probably one Pearl Jam fan in every thousand that agree with you on this statement.
    one here :) about No code
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    one here :) about No code
    You don't like No Code, dimitris?!?! I don't believe you.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Nope.. I generally prefer new music over old music. My brain needs to be fed.

I'll revisit old albums every now and then, or listen to the songs on boots, but generally the latest tops my list in interest.
    You don't like No Code, dimitris?!?! I don't believe you.
    didnt say that...Unthought Known, Against the Waves, and Got Some are better than most songs on No Code
    that i agree too ;)
  • What private corporate event? I missed that...
  • What private corporate event? I missed that...

The only thing that bothered me was that the Corporation was NAMBLA.
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    edited March 2010
    :ugeek:
    Post edited by fox_mulderX on
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134

I think Unthought Known, Against the Waves, and Got Some are better than most songs on No Code or Yield.

i disagree with you about the "yield" and "ed solo show" statements... but other than that you seem normal. i want to probe this disliking of yield a little more, though, if you'll permit me.
    tell me about your mother
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Nope!

Everyone has their own reasons for loving Pearl Jam, AND their favorite band member. I've been called out for "playing favorites", and just recently again too. Doesn't matter.

You like what you like and you are attracted to PJ or Ed or Mike or Jeff or Stone or Matt or BOOM for your own reasons, just like the rest of us. Nothing wrong with any of it :)

I personally favor Ed and love his solo stuff and the songs he features prominently on more so than a lot of the other stuff, but that is not saying by any means that I don't love the rest of them.
    For instance, Mike's guitar can move me in ways nothing else has. Jeff is the reason I turn up the bass nearly as high as it will go! I could say a lot of other things. But when I hear Ed sing, I get that goofy smile on my face, and just have to close my eyes and take it all in. It's very special to me. (It is a little bit hard to drive that way, but I try...lol!!!)

But what it comes down to is that you should not be ashamed of being partial to Ed or Mike or Stone or any of the band members. Attraction is a very individual thing :)

Just ENJOY!!!! :)

I know I'll hear about this but who cares? I'm just here for the music :lol:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569

i disagree with you about the "yield" and "ed solo show" statements... but other than that you seem normal. i want to probe this disliking of yield a little more, though, if you'll permit me.
    tell me about your mother

:lol:

Just to clarify, I love Yield. As a whole, it's one of my favorite albums. But I'd take any of the three Backspacer songs mentioned above to Brain of J, Wishlist, Pilate, Do the Evolution, MFC, Push Me, Pull Me, and of course Red Dot any day.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Nope. I disagree with a couple of those statements but, hey, that's what makes us fans.

I love Backsapcer and have been really happy with the direction this band has taken since Riot Act. Except for touring habits but whatever.

I enjoyed SNL too so I am clearly in the minority there.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • edited March 2010
    hey, some people are just into crappy generic pop tunes like Amongst the Waves! i dont know why, but god bless 'em anyway!

Brain of J alone is ten times better than anything on BS, but Brain of J is a realy awesome song.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • Do you know the corporation? IS IT EVIL? DID THEY DONATE THE MONEY? no there is nothing wrong with you..
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    MrSmith wrote:
    hey, some people are just into crappy generic pop tunes like Amongst the Waves! i dont know why, but god bless 'em anyway!

Brain of J alone is ten times better than anything on BS, but Brain of J is a realy awesome song.

I'd like to buy you a beer.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • jjmofojjmofo Posts: 47

NO!! I don't post on here often, but I do get on here a couple of times a week to keep tabs on what is going on with the band. The comments some people have been posting because of the SNL appearance make me laugh. I can't believe how over critical and pretentious some people on this board can be. It's one things to say "I didn't like the songs they played, wish they played a different song." It's another to make assumptions about what direction the band is going in and what their attitudes were during their performance, etc... Someone even said they were hanging out with their "punk rock" friends and were embarrassed when PJ played Just Breathe.

I love Backspacer and think it's much better than their previous two albums. The SNL performance was very good; the band and Ed sounded great. If you think they were lifeless, go watch their '03 performances of I am Mine and Save You on Letterman.
  • OTOTOOTOTO Posts: 190
    If you are referring to the Beacon Theater show in 2008 as a "private corporate event", you would be misinformed. That was for the Robin Hood foundation. PJ volunteered and played for free. All the ticket proceeds went to Robin Hood. Great organization that helps poor families in NYC. Thought it was a nice move. . . .and the show was pretty awesome too. :D
    "You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853

I'm with ya on the SNL skit and not having a problem with Target. Vehemently disagree with everything else.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    solat14 wrote:
    If you are referring to the Beacon Theater show in 2008 as a "private corporate event", you would be misinformed. That was for the Robin Hood foundation. PJ volunteered and played for free. All the ticket proceeds went to Robin Hood. Great organization that helps poor families in NYC. Thought it was a nice move. . . .and the show was pretty awesome too. :D

No, that's not what I am referring to. And, actually, I realized I made a mistake -- it wasn't a full PJ show, it was Eddie solo.

Most of the threads about the private corporate gig were removed, and it has been kept very secret to the extent that nobody much mentions it anymore. It involved EV playing for about 100 Oracle big-wigs at a company conference. I did find one thread about it that is still alive, which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102219.

That being said, the purpose of this thread was definitely not to rehash the "sell-out or not" argument, so please, let's not get into that.

• OTOTOOTOTO Posts: 190
    solat14 wrote:

No, that's not what I am referring to. And, actually, I realized I made a mistake -- it wasn't a full PJ show, it was Eddie solo.

Most of the threads about the private corporate gig were removed, and it has been kept very secret to the extent that nobody much mentions it anymore. It involved EV playing for about 100 Oracle big-wigs at a company conference. I did find one thread about it that is still alive, which can be found here: http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102219.

That being said, the purpose of this thread was definitely not to rehash the "sell-out or not" argument, so please, let's not get into that.

Ha. Never would re-hash that. Those are very tiresome.
    To stay on topic of the thread. . .you aren't crazy for any of those things. Some may disagree with you, but it's your opinion and that's what's great about music.
    "You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train"
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

Nothing wrong with you other than the fact that you somehow got to hear a song called Against the Waves? Is that some B-Side you got? :ugeek: :geek: 8-)

I agree with a lot of what your post implies, however I would rather see the full band.

I like the direction the band is going in, and I'm down with Into the 'Wilds', type songs.