Listening to Backspacer for the first time since November

2»

Comments

• Backspacer is definately a weaker album as a whole and I have to agree that lyrically it could be the weakest (with Avacodo) but Unthought Known is the best song they have written since Binaural. And, I don't know how anyone can complain about Just Breathe. Its the best slow song they have written since Light Years. (unless you count that as mid-tempo and then Just Breathe is the best slow song since Lowlight).
    Lyrically, Supersonic is weak "I want to live my life with the volume full" ugh (though the song as a whole I do like). Johnny Guitar has grown on me but lyrically is weak. Fixer lyrically weak. Got Some, Love the song but lyrically weak. But I've listened to Backspacer ten times more already at this point than I did Avacodo when it first came out and have to say overall it is a very good album. I can't understand how people think it is disappointing.
  • CROJAM95 wrote:
    I do agree ten is a better album..... That's not sayin a whole lot
    I KNOW you're not subtly bashing Ten...

I hope not. Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong :)
  • LDBLDB Posts: 41
    It really hurts me not to love it. I listen and try to get it but ....They seem to be really proud of it so maybe it will grow on us all. It's just that it's different.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    MrSmith wrote:
    Are you serious?? backspacer is my fav pj album
    is that you, Eddie?

this made me laugh... But Backspacer is a great album. Right behind Yield and No Code in my book.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,797
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    I do agree ten is a better album..... That's not sayin a whole lot
    I KNOW you're not subtly bashing Ten...

I hope not. Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong :)

ten is a masterpiece...... Although some too cool for schoolers who say even flow is a piss break song might disagree, I'm not one of them

my bladder hurts after a show
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    Avocado is awesome the whole way through....save for gone
    Backspacer is very good. i can do without just breathe, unthought known and maybe speed of sound, but damn...got some and johnny guitar are two of the best songs they have put out in a while. i really like force of nature. i dig gonna see my friend and i actually like the fixer.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • I think what brings the point home to me is when I showed my brother Pearl Jam playing on Austin City Limits (I don't remember the song but something off of Backspacer) and he asked me if I knew what band they were covering. My brother's the one who introduced me to Pearl Jam in '98 or so (when I was 7 years old) and (obviously) hasn't been keeping up with the band for the past few years.
    Pearl Jam's sound on Backspacer has undeniably changed from their previous records in my opinion. I still really like it but I think it's the weakest Pearl Jam album, and see it as being the "odd/out of the ordinary" album. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different. However, I really dislike the overdone vocals on Just Breathe and much prefer the style of Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town.
    It took me a little while to fully appreciate Avocado but it's like Ten through Riot Act to me now (just another killer album). I get Big Wave and Gone stuck in my head all the time and don't understand how some fans don't like Army Reserve. Severed Hand and Unemployable are also two of my favorites on Avocado.

I too am glad the band seems to be having a lot of fun with Backspacer.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • i like Backspacer as a one time thing, but if their next album sounds anything like it i'll be pissed.
  • DP13DP13 Posts: 276
    While I dislike Pitchfork, I must admit their review of this album was 100% spot on.

Pearl Jam took chances when they were on top of the world when it was commerical suicide; now that no one cares about Pearl Jam they are cranking out unimaginative, who-like-rockers by the truck load seemingly to keep the frat boys happy.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    MrSmith wrote:
    i like Backspacer as a one time thing, but if their next album sounds anything like it i'll be pissed.

Totally. It's their St. Anger.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • MrSmith wrote:
    i like Backspacer as a one time thing, but if their next album sounds anything like it i'll be pissed.

x2
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Backspacer effin rocks!

Quit overANALyzing shit, people. Get laid.
    MrSmith wrote:
    Your opinion is null.. I hope they make 10 more albums like Backspacer. It's about time they make optimistic music.. sorry for pity in your sorrows.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    Your opinion is null.. I hope they make 10 more albums like Backspacer. It's about time they make optimistic music.. sorry for pity in your sorrows.
    contrary to popular belief, PJ wrote optimistic songs before BS. i dont care about that. just tired of the weirdly vanilla 80s Toto, Loverboy sounding midtempo crap. PJ sounds better raw and stripped down, not overproduced. dont cry.
    MrSmith wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    contrary to popular belief, PJ wrote optimistic songs before BS. i dont care about that. just tired of the weirdly vanilla 80s Toto, Loverboy sounding midtempo crap. dont cry.
    I like the 80s sounding stuff.