Listening to Backspacer for the first time since November

Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
edited March 2010 in The Porch
With SNL tonight and presales next week....might as well give it another shot.
2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Not a fan I'm guessing? It took a while to grow on me but then I figured out what they were trying to do. It's a great album IMO, just give it a few more chances.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    youngster wrote:
    Not a fan I'm guessing? It took a while to grow on me but then I figured out what they were trying to do. It's a great album IMO, just give it a few more chances.

Yeah that's what I'm doing. but whether I end up ever liking it or not, I'm happy that the band has had success with it and are still running with it.

And much to my dismay, The Fixer actually has attracted new fans. That's a song I'll never like (I'm listening to it right now and am just hating it) but people who know I like PJ have said to me that they really like the new Pearl Jam song and that they haven't liked a new one in a while. And an audio-only video of Just Breathe on youtube has 2 million views (or listens I guess) and another one has like 800,000.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • edited March 2010
    its pretty much another Avocado for me now. i love the first half of both (minus both lead singles), and hate the second. it seems PJ can still make rockers like Got Some and slow songs like Just Breathe, but they've completely lost it with the mid tempo stuff. songs like Amongst the Waves and Force of Nature are so tame and vanilla. maybe they've been listening to too much U2 :) Whatever black magic they used to write classics like ALive or Given To Fly are gone now.

but i still love the faster ones. actually i made my own album out of ST and Backspacer. its obviously very fast and hard (with a few slow ones like Parachutes and Just Breathe thrown in), but i really love it.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I don't get the point of goin back to BS. It's very immediate in it's impact. It's just makes a very small crater.
    MrSmith wrote:
    its pretty much another Avocado for me now. i love the first half of both (minus both lead singles), and hate the second. it seems PJ can still make rockers like Got Some and slow songs like Just Breathe, but they've completely lost it with the mid tempo stuff. songs like Amongst the Waves and Force of Nature are so tame and vanilla. maybe they've been listening to too much U2

I totally agree except I loved World Wide Suicide when it was released. You're dead-on about Amongst The Waves and Force of Nature.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    MrSmith wrote:
    its pretty much another Avocado for me now. i love the first half of both (minus both lead singles), and hate the second. it seems PJ can still make rockers like Got Some and slow songs like Just Breathe, but they've completely lost it with the mid tempo stuff. songs like Amongst the Waves and Force of Nature are so tame and vanilla. maybe they've been listening to too much U2

I totally agree except I loved World Wide Suicide when it was released. You're dead-on about Amongst The Waves and Force of Nature.

FoN has more balls than the rest of the album combined.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    they've completely lost it with the mid tempo stuff. songs like Amongst the Waves and Force of Nature are so tame and vanilla.

I think those two songs are a big step up from the mid-tempo crap on "Avocado".
    DewieCox wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

FoN has more balls than the rest of the album combined.

I think Got Some got some more balls than Force of Nature.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • MrSmith wrote:

i dont really hate it like THe Fixer, but its never done much for me either. its ok.
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    it lacks passion.....give me one song that is half as good as Porch on Avocado or BS
  • Sawyer wrote:
    it lacks passion.....give me one song that is half as good as Porch on Avocado or BS
    id say Severed Hand but i know you'd disagree with me. maybe not as much, but i love it anyway.
  • CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    Backspacer is awesome.
    ctd
    MrSmith wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:
    id say Severed Hand but i know you'd disagree with me. maybe not as much, but i love it anyway.

He didn't say songs that straight up rip Porch off.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

He didn't say songs that straight up rip Porch off.
    bla bla ive heard it all before :) no it dont!
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I have really not liked Backspacer from the outset, but in light of the tour announcement and SNL tonight, Im also gonna give it some more spins.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,485
    I have really not liked Backspacer from the outset, but in light of the tour announcement and SNL tonight, Im also gonna give it some more spins.

Me too! Might have to get the candles out tonight & spin the record a few times before SNL starts tonight. Will have the all mighty Video Recorders ready in action. ;)
  • Didn't think much of it when it came out, still don't now. It's alright... solid rock album for the most part.

I don't think they'll ever make an album as good as their Ten through Binaural run, but hey.. that's just me. Glad they're still having fun.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    With SNL tonight and presales next week....might as well give it another shot.

:shock:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Sawyer wrote:

atleast Unthought Known, you gotta love this one? half as good, it's 70 to 80 % as good. :P
  • I finally figured out backspacer the other day. I liked it, but it wasn't one that grabbed me. Reason being is this: I have two young daughters, one almost 4 and the other 7 months. So basically during the day we're listening to kid songs, and in the evening the music is on pretty low (small house). I was washing the dishes the other day with my noise-cancelling headphones on, and ZING. FARKING AWESOME RECORD. You just need to turn it up and really listen to it. It's the subtleties in the songs that make them great, and you don't get those listening to them on your iPod ghetto at work, or at low volume when the kids are in bed.

I'm waiting for one of those rare moments where I'm home alone and I can crank up the vinyl and REALLY give it a listen.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    I finally figured out backspacer the other day. I liked it, but it wasn't one that grabbed me. Reason being is this: I have two young daughters, one almost 4 and the other 7 months. So basically during the day we're listening to kid songs, and in the evening the music is on pretty low (small house). I was washing the dishes the other day with my noise-cancelling headphones on, and ZING. FARKING AWESOME RECORD. You just need to turn it up and really listen to it. It's the subtleties in the songs that make them great, and you don't get those listening to them on your iPod ghetto at work, or at low volume when the kids are in bed.

I'm waiting for one of those rare moments where I'm home alone and I can crank up the vinyl and REALLY give it a listen.

The vinyl sucks.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Sawyer wrote:
    Amen. They sound like they just went through the motions to try and make a hit album.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Vedderhead1Vedderhead1 Posts: 189
    Backspacer kicks ass....In fact, I have been listening to it with 'new' life for days since the announcement. Love it, love it, love it....

Front to back...BS kicks ass.... :mrgreen:
  • KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    You just need to turn it up and really listen to it. It's the subtleties in the songs that make them great, and you don't get those listening to them on your iPod ghetto at work, or at low volume when the kids are in bed.

I'm going to try out your idea, for I have yet to really connect with Back Spacer. And I want to. The lyrics have yet to touch me in the way that the majority of PJ songs do. So, I'm going to borrow my son's Sennheiser head phones and immerse myself in the Back Spacer experience. I feel so sad because I was so excited for this album and it just didn't do it for me. Hopefully, I will start to feel what all the other Back Spacer fans are experiencing.
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.

• I don't think they'll ever make an album as good as their Ten through Binaural run, but hey.. that's just me. Glad they're still having fun.
    they wont, its been too long now, but as long as they still tour its all good.
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    Are you serious?? backspacer is my fav pj album
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    GSMF kicks ass.
  • Are you serious?? backspacer is my fav pj album
    is that you, Eddie?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,797
    Oh come on...... Ya know u guys will like backspacer when the next album comes out and u rediscover that backspacer is a good, solid album

meaning: after bs came out.... Alot of people who hated avocado all of a sudden liked it

I do agree ten is a better album..... That's not sayin a whole lot
  • CROJAM95 wrote:
    meaning: after bs came out.... Alot of people who hated avocado all of a sudden liked it

this is an excellent point. this seems to have happened with the last few albums. And I agree wholeheartedly. I have to admit, I have been like that in the past as well. A new one causes one to go back and reflect, and maybe rediscover, something that they hadn't before.

it's a pretty neat process, not one that I have experienced with any other band.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014