Here is a tip or two for all you travelling fans.

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Use http://www.maps.google.com to plan your accommodation and transport. I have used google maps for the past 3 tours and it works a charm.

You just create your own map and/or whack in the post/zip code of the venue then click on it and click "search nearby" then just type in hotel or hostels and you get a list of all the hotels/hostels closest to the venue in order then you just click on each one and just see the rates etc.

Also this works great for searching for train stations, airports and bus services. If you want to find the cheapest flights then some of you may know this site or there are probably more useful ones for North America. But http://www.skyscanner.net or http://www.kayak.net are good for Europe.

With a bit more effort you can colour code your points and add notes to each pin you make etc and ultimately share your maps with other people and get a nice little map of your journey and all the stops your making from just your seat.

Think thats everything, hope it helps at least 1 person 8-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Do people in Europe think Americans don't know how to use google?
    tacos
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    iwasthere wrote:

I dont think every American knows to use it. "The not tech savie" may not realise how useful this tool can be.
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Brisk. wrote:
    iwasthere wrote:

I dont think every American knows to use it. "The not tech savie" may not realise how useful this tool can be.

I'm still blown away all the time, when I hear someone say " I don't know how to get there" :?

I don't know how to get a lot of places, with the interweb I make it alright though. ;)

I'm sure someone will find this info helpful Brisk. ;)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    iwasthere wrote:

i'm surprised people in America even know how to spell Europe, let alone point it out on a map... so well done :clap:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • pumpkinheadpumpkinhead Posts: 570
    Thanks! Some of us aren't web savy yettt.
    2009 Philly Spectrum 10/28
    2010 Jazz Fest*Kansas City*St.Louis*Columbus*Noblesville*Bristow*
    Hartford*Newark*MSG1*MSG2*Dublin*Belfast*HydePark*Nijmegen*
    Berlin*WM3Little Rock*Bridge 1&2
    2011 Eddie Vedder*Chicago*St Louis*San Diego*Long Beach*Los Angles*Santa Barbara
    PJ20 1&2*Canada Tour*Montreal*Toronto 1&2*Ottawa*Hamilton*Winnipeg*
    Saskatoon*Calgary*Edmonton*Vancouver
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    dunkman wrote:
    iwasthere wrote:

i'm surprised people in America even know how to spell Europe, let alone point it out on a map... so well done :clap:
    Thank You Sir
    tacos
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    At least we don't have PJ camp needing to figure out hotels for us to stay at... but that would be cool if they did that for us Americans too.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    what's google?
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    jambayleaf wrote:
    At least we don't have PJ camp needing to figure out hotels for us to stay at... but that would be cool if they did that for us Americans too.

well i think the point of the Euro hotel guide is that.. and brace yourself for this nugget of wisdom... there are a lot of different countries in Europe and finding a hotel might be quite tricky because of all the different languages involved. ;);) plus it was a TenClub offer in that people going to those hotels could get a discount on the hotel...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • WHAT THE FUCK IS THE INTERNET?
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
  • Brisk. wrote:
    Use http://www.maps.google.com to plan your accommodation and transport. I have used google maps for the past 3 tours and it works a charm.

You just create your own map and/or whack in the post/zip code of the venue then click on it and click "search nearby" then just type in hotel or hostels and you get a list of all the hotels/hostels closest to the venue in order then you just click on each one and just see the rates etc.

Also this works great for searching for train stations, airports and bus services. If you want to find the cheapest flights then some of you may know this site or there are probably more useful ones for North America. But http://www.skyscanner.net or http://www.kayak.net are good for Europe.

With a bit more effort you can colour code your points and add notes to each pin you make etc and ultimately share your maps with other people and get a nice little map of your journey and all the stops your making from just your seat.

Think thats everything, hope it helps at least 1 person 8-)

Yes, yes, that's all very exciting, but how do I put on my pants?
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i like turtles
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    Al Gore invented the internet.
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    WHAT THE FUCK IS THE INTERNET?
    the inner lining on a bathing suit
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    dunkman wrote:
    iwasthere wrote:

yep, we are are all fat, bible thumping, gun slinging dumbasses.... :roll:
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    edited March 2010
    Let me see, I'm 40, I saw Grateful Dead 169 times and slept in my own bed 2 of those times, I've seen Phish about 30 times and slept in my bed 2 of those times, I've seen Pearl Jam 28 times and slept in my own bed 2 or 3 of those times. Yes I think I know how to arrange my travel plans by now, since I have been doing from the time you had to call all the airlines and hotels yourself and use travel agents, as there was not internet to use.... :lol:

But thanks for the concern.... :roll:

The United States is pretty big, but it's not like this happens to us when we go to another part of the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iXGbJKjNxU
    Post edited by Cob on
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    all i need is money to travel...and for paying Brisk for infos :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    priceline name your own price for the win.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    81 wrote:

enjoy the bed bugs ;)
  • PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    81 wrote:
    enjoy the bed bugs ;)
    I used to work for a penny pinching company that capped our hotel reimbursement at $75 (yea Motel 6!). I booked all my hotels through Priceline and never once had an issue with the hotel quality. Typically ended up in 4* hotels (Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton etc...) for around $50/night as long as it was in a big city with plenty of hotel competition.
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

enjoy the bed bugs ;)

i've stayed at the crowne plaza in philly and the marriott in charleston, sc.

bed bugs were not an issue. i believe both were rated 3.5 stars on priceline.

your results may vary
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cob wrote:
    Let me see, I'm 40, I saw Grateful Dead 169 times and slept in my own bed 2 of those times, I've seen Phish about 30 times and slept in my bed 2 of those times, I've seen Pearl Jam 28 times and slept in my own bed 2 or 3 of those times. Yes I think I know how to arrange my travel plans by now, since I have been doing from the time you had to call all the airlines and hotels yourself and use travel agents, as there was not internet to use.... :lol:

But thanks for the concern.... :roll:

The United States is pretty big, but it's not like this happens to us when we go to another part of the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iXGbJKjNxU

well good for fuckin' you

never said this was for Americans, mainly for Europeans where there are 99 languages and everything different every so often. Not everyone has seen pearl jam before or been touring so they may not know where to start or begin with it all. Also i figured from the various threads on 'where do i stay etc' it would be useful to check google as to people making a thread for every single thought they have on this forum.

So your telling me when you go to another part of the states you know where every hotel is, how much they cost and their locations? Just thought it would be a good planning tool to share.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Cob wrote:
    Let me see, I'm 40, I saw Grateful Dead 169 times
    u are only 40?...or u are Jerry Garcia? :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • jambayleaf wrote:
    I'm 99% sure they did do this...at least for some of the western US dates last fall. I remember seeing group rates or something for a few different hotels...official, from PJ...like in the news section or something.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    damn, can't a guy give a little helpful info anymore? you'd be surprised how many people would have no idea how to use google

instead of mocking the brisk, why don't y'all add some tips of your own

and if you wanna pick on someone, go here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125291

that's in need of mocking :D
    norm wrote:
    damn, can't a guy give a little helpful info anymore? you'd be surprised how many people would have no idea how to use google

instead of mocking the brisk, why don't y'all add some tips of your own

and if you wanna pick on someone, go here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125291

that's in need of mocking :D
    :shock:
  • murphbrahmurphbrah Posts: 10
    have love will travel
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    dunkman wrote:
    iwasthere wrote:

I know how to locate Fucking, Austria. Yes it is a real town.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
    dunkman wrote:
    iwasthere wrote:

yep, we are are all fat, bible thumping, gun slinging dumbasses.... :roll:

well thats another sarcasm detector fucked...

relax man, i was messing around... glad to see you didnt pick up on the person i quoted. :thumbup: