Fun-loving girl seeks good time in L.A....

2»

Comments

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    norm wrote:
    so, has any of this helped? ;) :P

since you're a whimp and won't drive, the metro rail can get you to hollywood, universal city, long beach and pasadena...i say this is the best way for you to see the town...and i'd suggest taking either a cab ($$$) or the bus to santa monica :D

Ohh yeah, I grew up near pasadena. That's a good place to visit too!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    eyedclaar wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Yes...I'm 29, not 11. :D

Yay! Nobody ever remembers Eek the Cat, or his arch enemy, Sharky the Shark Dog.

There's more pop-culture than actual knowledge in this big old head of mine. :roll:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Yes...I'm 29, not 11. :D

Yay! Nobody ever remembers Eek the Cat, or his arch enemy, Sharky the Shark Dog.

I don't know who the hell they are!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Here are a few places in/near dowtown that are subway-friendly:

Chinatown / Olvera Street (Mexican marketplace) / Phillipe's (french dip sandwiches) are all a stone's throw from Union Station (use the redline subway).

The L.A. jewelry mart (got familiar with it when I was buying engagement ring) is spread over several blocks. Use the redline or purpleline to Pershing Square station.

The L.A. Live complex is across from Staples Center, and it has 3 concert venues, movies, bowling and dining (Fleming's steakhouse is great but $$$). I think the metro blueline stops close-by.

You can take the yellowline from Union station to Old Town Pasadena.....bunch of retail shops (some chain, some indie), dining, etc....a nice browse.

There is a very old-school place called Clifton's Cafeteria...great cross-section of people...it is on South Broadway Ave.

You can take the redline to Hollywood Blvd. Most of the stuff there is trashy, but it may be fun the first time! A few blocks south is Amoeba Music....probably the biggest, most complete and most overpowering record store of all time!

The Sunset strip isn't very accessible from the subway. It is full of hipster bars, restaurants, etc. Once you get over the slickness of the area, you can roll your eyes at all of the douchebaggery that goes on there on a nightly basis!

You can take a bus to Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive.....the area is ubber-posh.

Thanks for helping me avoid work while I wrote this!
  • If you like art, you can also check out the Getty Center.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    cdp1223 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    From what I remember it is "scrunched up" driving cause its so crowded- I never saw anybody speeding well not like here in ATL where everybody drives super fast if they can.

Yeah F Atlanta driving.....I miss the South so much, but NOT the driving. Jeesh.
    Atlanta traffic ain't no cupcake. Fuckin 400 was a nightmare this morning going into town.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    intodeep wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    From what I remember it is "scrunched up" driving cause its so crowded- I never saw anybody speeding well not like here in ATL where everybody drives super fast if they can.

Yeah F Atlanta driving.....I miss the South so much, but NOT the driving. Jeesh.
    Atlanta traffic ain't no cupcake. Fuckin 400 was a nightmare this morning going into town.
    Atlanta traffic is crazy scary compared to the other cities I've been to. People drive fast here or are stuck in a traffic jam one or the other. The new super speeder law just passed might help though.
    Another question:
    Any recommendations for how to get from the airport to our hotel (Millenium Biltmore) at around midnight? :?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Another question:
    Any recommendations for how to get from the airport to our hotel (Millenium Biltmore) at around midnight? :?

call them ask if they have a shuttle...i'm pretty sure they have one or will tell you where to get one
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Another question:

Does your hotel offer a shuttle? Lots do. If not, there are some shuttle sites that aren't too much $$$...I'll try to find the ones I've used.

• cdp1223 wrote:
    Another question:

If it was a bit earlier in the evening, I would recommend taking the Flyaway bus from LAX to Union Station. The Flyaway is not a city bus, it is a tourist-quality coach used as an express shuttle. It departs from LAX every half hour, 5 am to 1 am. After 1 am, it only runs once an hour. Price is about $7 per person. The staff politely load your luggage under the bus for you. The Flyaway takes half an hour to get from the airport to Union Station. Once at Union Station, you can get on the subway for just 3 minutes (2 stops) to Pershing Square. Your hotel faces Pershing Square. The problem is that the last subway for the night leaves Union Station at 12:17 am. They don't run again until 4-something am....

You could use a cab for the short drive from Union Station to the Biltmore. I have no idea how much they cost.

Or you can try a shuttle van service. Super Shuttle is a ubiquitous one. All buses and shuttles arrive at the little cement islands in front of the LAX terminal. (Traffic islands between lanes of airport traffic.) There are often two hawkers for competing brands of airport shuttles. Ask each guy/gal how much it will cost. WARNING: Regardless of what the employee quotes you, you must arrange the price again with the van's driver when the van arrives. These vans can take forever, as they often pick up several fares going to various parts of town. If you are not the first party to be dropped off, you get to go along for the ride in and among the 'hoods of L.A. Wear your seatbelt! The drivers have some thrill-ride moves on the highway.

Maybe for two people, a taxi would cost the same as two seats in a shuttle van. Does anyone know?
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    cdp1223 wrote:
    :D:lol: Help a lady out on her maiden voyage to Los Angeles??

I'll be going at the end of next week and have no plans whatsoever. Unfortunately, I'll be staying in downtown because my husband will be at a conference. We are also not planning to rent a car. I know this will limit my movement/exploration severely...but I just don't have the money to rent a car and pay for parking all week. :?

So....anybody got any tips for me? Suggestions on how to spend my days while the mister is at a conference? Anyone up for a beer/coffee/snack/debaucherous journey through the seedy underbelly of the city? Let me know! :lol:

I'm SURE you won't have ANY trouble getting ***OFFERS***...lol :P
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I know you're not renting a car - but when my mom and brother came out years ago we got a map of celebrity's homes and drove around and it was much more fun than I would have thought. I'd heard the Grave Line Tour was really fun (they drive you around), too but when I went to check on it it's been replaced by the Dearly Departed Tour that also features the "Helter Skelter Tour" which seems pretty revolting.

This one sounds sort of... well, strange:

The Nasty Nellie Oleson Tour
    (Returns Spring 2010)
    Alison Arngrim grew up in Hollywood - and it shows! , She became a television icon with her portrayal of Nasty Nellie Oleson on the classic show, Little House On The Prairie.

During this special 3 hour tour on wheels, Alison will amaze you with personal anecdotes from her zero degrees of separation to the legends. You name it, Nasty Nellie has a story for just about everyone from Liberace to Michael Jackson, from Paris Hilton to the Manson Family.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Enkidu wrote:

(Returns Spring 2010)
    Alison Arngrim grew up in Hollywood - and it shows! , She became a television icon with her portrayal of Nasty Nellie Oleson on the classic show, Little House On The Prairie.

During this special 3 hour tour on wheels, Alison will amaze you with personal anecdotes from her zero degrees of separation to the legends. You name it, Nasty Nellie has a story for just about everyone from Liberace to Michael Jackson, from Paris Hilton to the Manson Family.

oh man, i gotta do that just for a goof! that sounds like a blast!! :lol::lol:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Enkidu wrote:
    I know you're not renting a car - but when my mom and brother came out years ago we got a map of celebrity's homes and drove around and it was much more fun than I would have thought. I'd heard the Grave Line Tour was really fun (they drive you around), too but when I went to check on it it's been replaced by the Dearly Departed Tour that also features the "Helter Skelter Tour" which seems pretty revolting.

(Returns Spring 2010)

That seems to strange to be real.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • drtyfrnk29drtyfrnk29 Posts: 846
    Great BBQ on MLK and 57th. However, it's not the greatest neighborhood, or HOOD.

I have to concur with everyone suggesting the garment and/or the jewelry district. My advice though is to find a bench and park your butt there at around 7:45am and then watch that whole district come to life in front of your eyes. It's amazing. Also, there's the produce district. It's not much fun to shop but if you want to people watch and see some of the best bustle in downtown I think it could be fun. Most of my time in downtown has been in the hot cab of a water truck so a lot of these things I've seen and wanted to experience while not at work.

Have fun, and don't buy a watch from a street vendor, unless you wanna end up on Mystery Diagnosis
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    U need a car in Cali. You'll get more lost using there public transport. Rent a car and just head to Newport beach or even Huntington beach during the day. At night, take your hubby down to laguna for dinner.
    Thanks for all the late-night suggestions....
    As soon as I feel *slightly* less hungover, I'll be sure to look through all of your tips!