Fun-loving girl seeks good time in L.A....

cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
:D:lol: Help a lady out on her maiden voyage to Los Angeles??

I'll be going at the end of next week and have no plans whatsoever. Unfortunately, I'll be staying in downtown because my husband will be at a conference. We are also not planning to rent a car. I know this will limit my movement/exploration severely...but I just don't have the money to rent a car and pay for parking all week. :?

So....anybody got any tips for me? Suggestions on how to spend my days while the mister is at a conference? Anyone up for a beer/coffee/snack/debaucherous journey through the seedy underbelly of the city? Let me know! :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2010
    cdp1223 wrote:
    :D:lol: Help a lady out on her maiden voyage to Los Angeles??

I'll be going at the end of next week and have no plans whatsoever. Unfortunately, I'll be staying in downtown because my husband will be at a conference. We are also not planning to rent a car. I know this will limit my movement/exploration severely...but I just don't have the money to rent a car and pay for parking all week. :?

So....anybody got any tips for me? Suggestions on how to spend my days while the mister is at a conference? Anyone up for a beer/coffee/snack/debaucherous journey through the seedy underbelly of the city? Let me know! :lol:

Yeah, don't be out alone at night in downtown. Actually, probably don't be out at night in downtown at all unless you're in a club or in your hotel. :)

BUT, it's a great place to shop during the day.
    Post edited by Lizardjam on
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Lizardjam wrote:

Yeah, don't be out alone at night in downtown. Actually, probably don't be out at night in downtown at all unless you're in a club or in your hotel. :)

Well that's certainly comforting... :?
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

Well that's certainly comforting... :?

Better than finding out yourself, no? It really is a wonderful and interesting place to be during the day. Just...not at night.

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

Lizardjam wrote:

Better than finding out yourself, no? It really is a wonderful and interesting place to be during the day. Just...not at night.

No, I understand. I also used to live in NYC, so at least I am not a total bumpkin on my first trip to the Big City. :roll:

So....tell me of these wonderful and interesting things you mention.... :D
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    My wife and I went out there last fall (I was at a conference, she was just along for the ride). The metro got us to most of the places we needed to go - although we made a slight miscalculation and took it to Long Beach through Compton and some other pretty rough places. I never felt unsafe, though, but I'm sure there are dangerous areas. She also went to the Fashion District and to the Farmers Market during a couple of days while I was attending the conference and loved them both. We also took the metro to Hollywood. I had been there before so I knew what a freak show it is but she was stunned. They have bus tours that seemed pretty cool - we didn't do them but it seemed like they hit all the major spots. Anyway, hope that helps.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

No, I understand. I also used to live in NYC, so at least I am not a total bumpkin on my first trip to the Big City. :roll:

So....tell me of these wonderful and interesting things you mention.... :D

Yeah, like DeLukin said, definitely go to Hollywood. It's not as glamorous as most people think, in fact it's dirty as hell but, it's also a very unique and fun experience. There are all kinds of places to shop in downtown, chinatown, the fashion district...the jewelry district....The museums, LACMA has live free Jazz on friday nights(Weekend nights are usually better than weekday). LA is huge around downtown, there are so many places to go. Most require a car. I've lived here all my life and I cannot imagine getting around without a car. I know people do it though!

I know having a car would be ideal, but it is expensive as hell and also being from the East Coast, I am kind of terrified of driving out there on your giant freeways and whatnot! :lol:
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    cdp1223 wrote:
    I know having a car would be ideal, but it is expensive as hell and also being from the East Coast, I am kind of terrified of driving out there on your giant freeways and whatnot! :lol:
    We had a blast trucking around LA on more than a few trips to see concerts. The traffic was fine no worries just a little slow at times. The cool places are a ways- like Hollywood a must- fun trying to find the mansions get a book. Driving the hill to the hollywood sign and people watching and seeing the walk of fame stars. Then there's finding cool bars in out of the way places on the ocean, walking the beaches in Malibu.I could go on but I need to see a map to remember all the names. I love it out there. Kind of need a car really. Its worth the cost. I think we never went downtown at all.
    cdp1223 wrote:

Awww, it's not that bad...just remember most drivers are a-holes!!! hehehe :mrgreen:

Lizardjam wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:

Awww, it's not that bad...just remember most drivers are a-holes!!! hehehe :mrgreen:

It's hard to explain coming from a place like Pittsburgh or the like. When you are in a scrunched up east coast city driving, you really can't drive all that fast because well, there are teensy narrow streets, or mountains, or rivers, or tunnels, or bridges...etc.
    It is the wide open spaces that freak me out, where people can drive like 120 no problem. After driving around Phoenix, I decided I couldn't handle that style anymore. :?

Man....is having no car going to make me just sit around in my hotel all day getting drunk? Feel free to come by for free booze everyone! :lol:
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    cdp1223 wrote:
    It's hard to explain coming from a place like Pittsburgh or the like. When you are in a scrunched up east coast city driving, you really can't drive all that fast because well, there are teensy narrow streets, or mountains, or rivers, or tunnels, or bridges...etc.
    It is the wide open spaces that freak me out, where people can drive like 120 no problem. After driving around Phoenix, I decided I couldn't handle that style anymore. :?

Man....is having no car going to make me just sit around in my hotel all day getting drunk? Feel free to come by for free booze everyone! :lol:

Free booze?! Where?!

Sorry, that was all I saw. :) Wish I could help you out, but I haven't been out to LA for a long time now...
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    IwasBit10 wrote:

Free booze?! Where?!

Sorry, that was all I saw. :) Wish I could help you out, but I haven't been out to LA for a long time now...

haha, ok, next time I'm in, uh....Wisconsin? I'll be sure to buy you a beer in exchange for getting your hopes up!
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:

From what I remember it is "scrunched up" driving cause its so crowded- I never saw anybody speeding well not like here in ATL where everybody drives super fast if they can.
    pandora wrote:
    From what I remember it is "scrunched up" driving cause its so crowded- I never saw anybody speeding well not like here in ATL where everybody drives super fast if they can.

Yeah F Atlanta driving.....I miss the South so much, but NOT the driving. Jeesh.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    what the heck is considered downtown in LA? ... they run shuttles out of the airport to various places - maybe there is one associated with the hotels downtown ... you can go to the pier at santa monica ... walk around the beach ... check out some buskers and some shops ...
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    cdp1223 wrote:
    IwasBit10 wrote:

Free booze?! Where?!

haha, ok, next time I'm in, uh....Wisconsin? I'll be sure to buy you a beer in exchange for getting your hopes up!

No worries! We got plenty a beers up here. Enjoy the freak show out west. :lol:
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    pandora wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:

Depends on the time of day and the freeway. There are many freeways where it's hard to stay as low as 80. On those same freeways weekdays, and some saturday nights, you're lucky if you can go above 40-50. However, the 101 is nearly ALWAYS packed. Other than that, most are good on the weekends and weekdays during work hours up until 2 or 3, then it gets crazy packed. I work 26 miles from home and in work traffic, even with carpool it can take me an hour to get home.

Lizardjam wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:

Depends on the time of day and the freeway. There are many freeways where it's hard to stay as low as 80. On those same freeways weekdays, and some saturday nights, you're lucky if you can go above 40-50. However, the 101 is nearly ALWAYS packed. Other than that, most are good on the weekends and weekdays during work hours up until 2 or 3, then it gets crazy packed. I work 26 miles from home and in work traffic, even with carpool it can take me an hour to get home.
    sounds like Atl but when we are out in LA we found people to be quite courteous in traffic not so much the case here
  • I live just two miles from downtown. Downtown L.A. is an overlooked gem! Tourists only think of Hollywood and the beaches. I am a woman who happily walks around the area alone. Limit your exploring to the space between the two subway stops of "7th Street Metro" and "Pershing Square." Going too far east or south of this neighbourhood brings you to the seediest Skid Row part of town. But if you are used to New York, you will find L.A.'s wildlife awfully bland.

Library Tower, the tallest building west of Vegas, is (obviously) easy to find. It is connected to the 444 Building (Best known as the fictional setting of LA Law). On the lower floors between the two towers is a gorgeous rooftop garden. You can take the escalator there and enjoy the view of the business district. You can look up at the underside of the palm trees. It is free and easily accessible to the public. The stone staircase with waterfalls takes you down to street level. Directly in front of this, the architecture of Grand Central Library and its grounds is worth a look. Homeless people hang out on the parklike grounds, but If you are not afraid of the less fortunate, it's worth the few minutes of your time.

A block away is the funky-looking Westin Bonaventure hotel. There are several above-the-street walkways connecting it to other buildings. Inside, a rotating bar on the 34th floor gives a 360 degree view of Los Angeles every hour or two.

Very close to the 7th street subway stop is a cute shopping centre called "7th & Fig" (short for Figueroa street). It is round, open aired, 3 concentric levels. There's a big food court on the bottom. At the top, the short escalator in the back goes up to another tiny park. One of L.A.'s famous Angel Statues can be found there. (Like other cities have their art cows, Mr. Potato Heads, etc.) There is a Macy's at that shopping centre. But dont' be confused, because "Macy's Plaza" is a different little mall, directly on the next block of 7th street. Macy's Plaza has a nice hotel. I forget the brand name of the hotel these days. I stayed there in 1999 when it had a different name. I had a 17th floor room with 2 walls that were floor-to ceiling glass!!! Wow!!! Macy's plaza also has my favourite little toy store, Mr. G's. It's overpriced, but the toys are wonderful.

Again, if you are not afraid of homeless people, Pershing Square Park has breathtaking views of the tall buildings. It is a common site for filming of many movies, TV shows, music videos. It's sort of an art park, its six-foot high pink cement balls are interesting. Sometimes, live jazz is played during lunch hour since downtown exists almost exclusively for the businessmen/women.

I can highly recommend the L.A. Zoo. It is just as gorgeous and varied as the San Diego Zoo, except that it is half the size so you can see everything in one day. The zoo looks like a lush tropical jungle, yet every tree is planted. (Scrub brush being the native 'tree' of the area, lol...) The 96 bus goes directly from Pershing square to the zoo. I think the zoo costs 12 or 13 dollars, though... Also in Griffith Park is the Griffith Observatory. James Dean's Rebel Without A Cause was filmed there. It has breathtaking views of the entire L.A. basin. On a rare clear day, you can see the Pacific Ocean! This is also free, as is the space museum inside. The 25 cent Observatory shuttle only runs on weekends, a car or cab would be required on weekdays.

The subway has stops in tacky touristy Hollywood. Gosh, Hollywood is awfully subdued these days. You can also go to tacky, touristy Universal Citywalk for free all day. I live on the subway line. I have never driven a car in Southern California. You should be fine on the buses/trains. Buy a weekly pass for cheap, unlimited access.

Fell free to message me with any questions.

Love,
    Brynne
    "May you live in interesting times."
    The LA ZOO is fabulous, if you have kids. Otherwise, you will be bored. It's good for a couple hours, but boring. San Diego is far better. I wouldn't really recommend it. Though, the nearby observatory is definitely a good place to go.

I don't think hollywood is tacky at all to visit. I feel like a tourist there sometimes. It's like another world compared to a lot of LA and it's one of LA's most infamous towns. I don't think anyone should recommend against it. It's a fun place to shop and people watch. There are funky museums and shops all over that are just plain fun.

I don't remember if you said you'd be alone during the days...and most places are safe during the day but as a woman alone, I wouldn't venture near dark around the areas with the "less fortunate" in any city. Better safe than sorry. No, not everyone is dangerous, but some are. Why risk it? Especially so far from home.

Thank you all for great replies.

Yes I will be alone during the days....woe is me! :(

But I'm going to keep track of all your recommendations. I'm not leaving til Wednesday so I'm sure I'll have more questions before then!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so, has any of this helped? ;) :P

since you're a whimp and won't drive, the metro rail can get you to hollywood, universal city, long beach and pasadena...i say this is the best way for you to see the town...and i'd suggest taking either a cab ($$$) or the bus to santa monica :D
    norm wrote:

since you're a whimp and won't drive, the metro rail can get you to hollywood, universal city, long beach and pasadena...i say this is the best way for you to see the town...and i'd suggest taking either a cab ($$$) or the bus to santa monica :D

I'm gonna punch you square in the jaw as soon as I get there. Get ready. :twisted:

OR you can just drive me around everywhere! YAYYY for great ideas!!
    I absolutely love Hollywood its fun to just walk around there and hit the bars as you go. I didn't think it trashy but I might not be a good judge.
    Santa Monica was what I was drawing a blank on, very pretty there. We had drinks and a shrimp cocktail on the pier and fed the birdies crackers in the sunshine.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    You gotta do this: http://oddculture.com/2010/01/18/take-the-la-gangland-bus-tour/ (sorry about the ads on that site)

Hey--you might run into Tina Fey when you are there!!! :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    cdp1223 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I'm gonna punch you square in the jaw as soon as I get there. Get ready. :twisted:

OR you can just drive me around everywhere! YAYYY for great ideas!!

Norm, just throw this little hussy a bone already... :twisted:
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:

THANK YOU.... :lol:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

It never hurts to help.

cdp1223, surely you at least remember Eek the Cat?

eyedclaar wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

It never hurts to help.

cdp1223, surely you at least remember Eek the Cat?

Yes...I'm 29, not 11. :D
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Yes...I'm 29, not 11. :D

Yay! Nobody ever remembers Eek the Cat, or his arch enemy, Sharky the Shark Dog.