How my co-worker was treated at McDonald's

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
This is a racial incident. I am not going to say what race anyone was so I'll do it like this:
clerk at register, manager with stick, family up front: race "efg"
co-worker (fake name Jen) victim with family telling the story: race "lmn"

on saturday at 10:40 a.m., jen's family (which included a 1 child) was unable to access the McDonald's (in MD) drive-thru window as the delivery truck blocked the way. they went inside to order breakfast. after a long wait, the family in front of jen rec'd their breakfast at 10:59 a.m. When it was jen's turn to order breakfast, the clerk told her no breakfast, that it was over. she replied that the family in front was just served breakfast (the cut off is 11 a.m.) The clerk rudely yelled at her, "just because you're lmn, don't think you're going to get your way!!!" She did not get an opportunity to ask to speak to the manager, as she already came from the back with a stick and yelled, "get out of MY store!" Jen asked her husband to not say anything and they left to avoid further problems.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    In those situations, it is better to let it be in the moment. Nothing will be accomplished by causing a scene.

McDonald's as a corporation would be horrified if they heard about it. Write a letter to Corporate Office detailing the incident, names (if you have them) and the franchise location.

CC the Manager of the location, and the local newspaper. You will get results.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    well...I told her that our mcdonald's was dirty and after completing all the info online to report it about 2 wks ago, I got a server error. I told her that the "store manager" is nobody that there are bigger fish in the sea. I too suggested writing a letter or calling the news. she said the news would not be interested. I told her that if she reported the incident, besides receiving an apology, she would receive coupons for several free meals. a person standing near joked, "coupons for free meals at that same mcdonald's."

years ago, I reported our mcdonald's for serving raunchy fries and that when i returned them to the clerk, he said they never change the oil they are fried in. my coupons arrived in the mail from that mcdonald's manager with an apology. I felt weird, as I did not want someone that close to know I complained about them.

her incident is unreal. the store manager obviously failed her "customer service 101" training.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    iluvcats wrote:
    This is a racial incident. I am not going to say what race anyone was so I'll do it like this:
    clerk at register, manager with stick, family up front: race "efg"
    co-worker (fake name Jen) victim with family telling the story: race "lmn"

on saturday at 10:40 a.m., jen's family (which included a 1 child) was unable to access the McDonald's (in MD) drive-thru window as the delivery truck blocked the way. they went inside to order breakfast. after a long wait, the family in front of jen rec'd their breakfast at 10:59 a.m. When it was jen's turn to order breakfast, the clerk told her no breakfast, that it was over. she replied that the family in front was just served breakfast (the cut off is 11 a.m.) The clerk rudely yelled at her, "just because you're lmn, don't think you're going to get your way!!!" She did not get an opportunity to ask to speak to the manager, as she already came from the back with a stick and yelled, "get out of MY store!" Jen asked her husband to not say anything and they left to avoid further problems.

came out with a stick!? holy shit! I guess it's more like a McStick though. That's fucked up.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • They should definitely contact the corporate office. That's bullshit. :x
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Just "BOYCOTT" McCrap...like I DO on a *Permenant* Basis!...:)
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Agree write a letter with a copy to the manager. Nobody, whatever their race should be treated like that and the staff concern should be reprimanded.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That sucks.

Only good thing is McDonalds sucks a lot so if you never go back to a McDonalds for the rest of yoru life you won't be missing much.

I love Chik Fil A they seem like such a well run business. They are for the most part all clean resturants and the people that work there seem polite not matter which location i go in.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    intodeep wrote:

Only good thing is McDonalds sucks a lot so if you never go back to a McDonalds for the rest of yoru life you won't be missing much.

There's an *UNDERSTATEMENT* lol
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    intodeep wrote:
    That sucks.

I love Chik Fil A they seem like such a well run business. They are for the most part all clean resturants and the people that work there seem polite not matter which location i go in.

There is a new Chik Fil A not too far from where I live. Did you know they are not open on Sundays?
    I was informed by their management that they take that day for their employees to have family time, church etc.
    I thought that was interesting.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    i_lov_it wrote:
    Just "BOYCOTT" McCrap...like I DO on a *Permenant* Basis!...:)
    Agreed.
    was my description of their races by using "efg" that hard to understand?
    one of my friends replied to my email and said I have NO idea what you mean by "efg" or "lmn" and then she said wtf?

we like Chik Filet too and yes, unfortunately they are not open on sundays.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Boycotting McDonalds will probably help them to live longer!!
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Man, if you think that shit is bad, you should try their "food" sometime...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • great now i want a big mac :|
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    iluvcats wrote:
    one of my friends replied to my email and said I have NO idea what you mean by "efg" or "lmn" and then she said wtf?

Yes, a little. I was confused for about 2 seconds. RACE A & RACE B would have made more sense to me
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
    whenever I get a chocolate "shake" from there, you can't tell what flavor it is and it's not brown.

I know their food can be gross, but the person that it happened to was doing errands on saturday a.m. It's supposed to be convenient.

I wonder if their security video still has the stick slinging manager on it? A guy I know would have told her to shove the stick up her...actually, he said he would have called the police on her after he left...
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    iluvcats wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what either of them mean, but to be honest, it didn't matter, they were treated wrongly by the staff.
  • In those situations, it is better to let it be in the moment. Nothing will be accomplished by causing a scene.

McDonald's as a corporation would be horrified if they heard about it. Write a letter to Corporate Office detailing the incident, names (if you have them) and the franchise location.

while i somewhat agree with you, i would have called the store out right at that moment, but i am a white male, and rarely or ever am in a situation like this. secondly, you assume mcdonalds is a righteous company. thats a HUGE leap friend. mcdonalds is a multi billion dollar multi national corporation. their buisness practices have long been called into question, whether thats how they treat their animals that later are used in the burgers, and other meat products, and how they make and use their products. reguardless of if you enjoy their food or not, mcdonalds buisness practices across the board are outrageous at best. you assume that mcdonalds is made up of, at least in the higher ups department, ceos, presidents, managers, and so on, of righteous and do gooders. i am cynical. but mcdonalds isnt made up of those people. if a company treats its products, and by extension its customers with outright disrespect, why is it crazy to assume, that mcdonalds as an entity is corrupt.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    If all of the facts are correct, I'd make it a civil rights matter!
    Claireack wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what either of them mean, but to be honest, it didn't matter, they were treated wrongly by the staff.

I could have said they were green and blue people :) they are substitutes for the actual races. I wonder if the manager shakes her stick at her staff.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    I remember when they used to say mcd's used worms in their hamburgers in 1978 and then kangaroo meat.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    iluvcats wrote:
    I remember when they used to say mcd's used worms in their hamburgers in 1978 and then kangaroo meat.

I think the Kangaroo meat was linked to Jack In The Box. There is nothing that even comes close to the flavor of their tacos, so perhaps they are made of 'roo!
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    In those situations, it is better to let it be in the moment. Nothing will be accomplished by causing a scene.

while i somewhat agree with you, i would have called the store out right at that moment, but i am a white male, and rarely or ever am in a situation like this. secondly, you assume mcdonalds is a righteous company. thats a HUGE leap friend. mcdonalds is a multi billion dollar multi national corporation. their buisness practices have long been called into question, whether thats how they treat their animals that later are used in the burgers, and other meat products, and how they make and use their products. reguardless of if you enjoy their food or not, mcdonalds buisness practices across the board are outrageous at best. you assume that mcdonalds is made up of, at least in the higher ups department, ceos, presidents, managers, and so on, of righteous and do gooders. i am cynical. but mcdonalds isnt made up of those people. if a company treats its products, and by extension its customers with outright disrespect, why is it crazy to assume, that mcdonalds as an entity is corrupt.
    Your opinion and mine COMPLETELY Coincide.

Company's as large and potentially as Corrupt as McDonalds will want to make stories like this go away that much faster. In Fact, the more ruthless and cut-throught a company is behind the scenes, the better service they will provide in front of the public. They have the ability and the desire to put on a great front to maintain an overall opinion of the products and service they provide.

When you write a letter to a company like McDonald's, it would never ever reach a President. It would be handled very quickly by someone with a fancy title such as "Director of Customer Relations", who is measured and rewarded based on customer satisfaction scores. It is in HER best interest to make you feel satisfied, and make sure that the story goes away.
    oh I see by reading snopes.com, that worms are too expensive. this says that mcd's held a press conference and said it was beef in the mcwormburgers.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/wormburg.asp
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    PJPixie wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    That sucks.

There is a new Chik Fil A not too far from where I live. Did you know they are not open on Sundays?
    I was informed by their management that they take that day for their employees to have family time, church etc.

Yeah it sucks I always want to go there for breakfast on sunday because their breakfast biscuit kicks so much ass and i always go "ahh damn it's sunday they are not open"

I'm not much of a religious guy but i think it is cool they stick to their morals and leave that day for their employees to spend with family or worship how they choose. I mean them not being open cost them money, but for them it is more important to be closed. I kind of like that.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    sounds like someone needs a beating of sorts.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    edited March 2010
    intodeep wrote:
    PJPixie wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    That sucks.

Yeah it sucks I always want to go there for breakfast on sunday because their breakfast biscuit kicks so much ass and i always go "ahh damn it's sunday they are not open"

I'm not much of a religious guy but i think it is cool they stick to their morals and leave that day for their employees to spend with family or worship how they choose. I mean them not being open cost them money, but for them it is more important to be closed. I kind of like that.

Exactly. It's not about the almighty dollar!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    this is how a big mac is made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xedkk1xv ... re=related

it's the mcdonald's corporate video so it looks a lot nicer, i saw a video years ago inside a mcdonald's and that meat tray they pull the meat out of looked sooo friggin disgusting! :? a tray of warmed water and meat waiting to be ordered....it makes me want to vomit thinking about it!

but the manager coming out with a stick!?!? wtf is that all about!?
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I think the Kangaroo meat was linked to Jack In The Box. There is nothing that even comes close to the flavor of their tacos, so perhaps they are made of 'roo!

i read in, i think, The Omnivore's Dilemma that 56% of a mcnugget is corn.
    “The ingredients listed in the flyer suggest a lot of thought goes into a nugget, that and a lot of corn. Of the thirty-eight ingredients it takes to make a McNugget, I counted thirteen that can be derived from corn: the corn-fed chicken itself; modified cornstarch (to bind the pulverized chicken meat); mono-, tri-, and diglycerides (emulsifiers, which keep the fats and water from separating); dextrose; lecithin (another emulsifier); chicken broth (to restore some of the flavor that processing leeches out); yellow corn flour and more modified cornstarch (for the batter); cornstarch (a filler); vegetable shortening; partially hydrogenated corn oil; and citric acid as a preservative. A couple of other plants take part in the nugget: There's some wheat in the batter, and on any given day the hydrogenated oil could come from soybeans, canola, or cotton rather than corn, depending on the market price and availability.

According to the handout, McNuggets also contain several completely synthetic ingredients, quasiedible substances that ultimately come not from a corn or soybean field but form a petroleum refinery or chemical plant. These chemicals are what make modern processed food possible, by keeping the organic materials in them from going bad or looking strange after months in the freezer or on the road. Listed first are the "leavening agents": sodium aluminum phosphate, mono-calcium phosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, and calcium lactate. These are antioxidants added to keep the various animal and vegetable fats involved in a nugget from turning rancid. Then there are "anti-foaming agents" like dimethylpolysiloxene, added to the cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules, so as to produce foam during the fry. The problem is evidently grave enough to warrant adding a toxic chemical to the food: According to the Handbook of Food Additives, dimethylpolysiloxene is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen, and reproductive effector; it's also flammable. But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill.”
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • yeah i dont like to know whats in a big mac

i dont eat a lot of fast food

but every now and then "big mac" gets in my head and dammed if it dont stay lodged there til i eat one!!

#1 guilty pleasure for sure

which makes me think...
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here