Options

Avocado

2»

Comments

• Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

I don't like you. Seriously, what's your deal? We're talking about Avocado, and you're just being a dick man. I ask a simple question about why things have to be so "loud" now, and you're a complete smart ass.[/quote]

Im sorry for not agreeing with you, I enjoy the album, its really that simple...

is it too loud? No not for me, marker in the sand sounds great to me, its a different sound but thats not always a bad thing, sure Pj have evolved over time, they listen to their producers, put their input in and proudly give us their results.

too bad you dont like me, you dont know me, but if you can make such a judgement that easily I cant say I'm too upset.

still I like advocado....[/quote]

i think he was talking to the other guy Pad..not you.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    pdalowsky wrote:

I don't like you. Seriously, what's your deal? We're talking about Avocado, and you're just being a dick man. I ask a simple question about why things have to be so "loud" now, and you're a complete smart ass.

Im sorry for not agreeing with you, I enjoy the album, its really that simple...

is it too loud? No not for me, marker in the sand sounds great to me, its a different sound but thats not always a bad thing, sure Pj have evolved over time, they listen to their producers, put their input in and proudly give us their results.

too bad you dont like me, you dont know me, but if you can make such a judgement that easily I cant say I'm too upset.

still I like advocado....[/quote]

i think he was talking to the other guy Pad..not you.[/quote]

no buddy, it was for me......sensitive chap it would seem ;)
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    the first half of it would make one of the best EPs from the band. Life Wasted, Comatose, Parachutes and Severed Hand are great additions. the second half is an abortion of hamfisted lyrics and vanilla midtempo crap that i try to remove from memory.

but im all about the first half right now.
    This is exactly how I used to feel. Mr Smith, you don't like Army Reserve or Inside Job?
    no not at all. Army Reserve sounds like it was written for the Lifetime channel, and Mike should never write lyrics. musically Inside Job is ok, though. but my god, thats some terrible lyrics.

Holding on, the light of the night
    On my knees to rise and fix my broken soul
    Again.
    Let me run into the rain
    To be a human light again
    Let me run into the rain
    To shine a human light today
    Life comes from within your heart and desire
    Life comes from within my heart and desire
    Life comes from within you heart and desire

i can just see them running in the rain, arms wide open, singing about life coming from heart and desire like some new age christian rock singers.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

still I like advocado....

Was being sarcastic about the not liking you part. Never met you, and although I've been a member awhile, I rarely post here, so haven't had a chance to get to know you.

I just thought you were coming off as an A-hole only b/c you made it sound like those that don't like the sound of Avocado are "wannabe producers". This isn't the case at all. The album clips like crazy, and the warmth that is found on other albums is missing from Avocado. To me, that is the albums biggest flaw. The subtleties are missing because of the "loud" factor (this has nothing to do with volume by the way). The loudness comes from the production / mixing where everything is turned up to 11 causing the warmness and small factors to get lost in the mix.

For the record, MITS is one of my favorite PJ songs.
    I'm about to explode cause I can't carry your load
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    pdalowsky wrote:

Was being sarcastic about the not liking you part. Never met you, and although I've been a member awhile, I rarely post here, so haven't had a chance to get to know you.
    I just thought you were coming off as an A-hole only b/c you made it sound like those that don't like the
    sound of Avocado are "wannabe producers". This isn't the case at all. The album clips like crazy, and the warmth that is found on other albums is missing from Avocado. To me, that is the albums biggest flaw. The subtleties are missing because of the "loud" factor (this has nothing to do with volume by the way). The loudness comes from the production / mixing where everything is turned up to 11 causing the warmness and
    small factors to get lost in the mix.

different strokes I guess, I enjoy the record, it's not their best but I like it.

I'm not a big riot act fan though - another example of the different strokes thing. Easily my least favourite

I'm a big fan of comeback so maybe thar clouds my judgement somewhat.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

I just thought you were coming off as an A-hole only b/c you made it sound like those that don't like the
    sound of Avocado are "wannabe producers". This isn't the case at all. The album clips like crazy, and the warmth that is found on other albums is missing from Avocado. To me, that is the albums biggest flaw. The subtleties are missing because of the "loud" factor (this has nothing to do with volume by the way). The loudness comes from the production / mixing where everything is turned up to 11 causing the warmness and
    small factors to get lost in the mix.

different strokes I guess, I enjoy the record, it's not their best but I like it.

I'm not a big riot act fan though - another example of the different strokes thing. Easily my least favourite

I'm a big fan of comeback so maybe thar clouds my judgement somewhat.

Cheers man, and didn't mean to start an internet flame thingy m'bobber with ya! If I ever see you at a PJ show, I'll buy you a beer :)

I actually really like Avocado, and call me crazy, but I think "Big Wave" is a good song. The only songs on the album I'm not wild about are "Gone" and "World Wide Suicide". It's just the sound I can't get past. It's hollow, light, tinny, and it clips. I wish I had a diagram or something so I could show you Riot Act or Vitalogy vs. Avocado...You'd see that the clipping is off the charts, and what this does is kill the natural warm / analog sound music is supposed to have. Backspacer is slightly better, but BO'B could have done better with it. Bands today are all pretty much victims of this "Loudness War" that has unfortunately engulfed the music industry.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    Not liking the production because of the brickwalling and not liking the songs is two different things.

I think it's safe to say that the production isn't good, from a technical standpoint. Not much to do with taste or enjoying the songs of Riot Act more. You can't crank Avocado up on a decent stereo.

Riot Act is better mixed/mastered from a technical standpoint, but also - I must say I love the warmth and mood of it, which is purely emotional.

And I thought PJ would be far way from the loudness war being black circle lovers and all. But even the Backspacer vinyls is said to sound "bad" - compared to previous realeses etc. I found their "carelessness" of the audioquality to be quite weird.

Theu could mix the itunes tracks accoordning to brickwalling standards, but the CD:s and vinyls they should take better care of.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Army Reserve sounds like it was written for the Lifetime channel.

i word....Q-tips!!!!!!!!

(or shock therapy) :mrgreen:
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Army Reserve sounds like it was written for the Lifetime channel.

i word....Q-tips!!!!!!!!

(or shock therapy) :mrgreen:
    all thats missing is another verse where either she finds out her man is cheating on her or he comes home a beats her, and then she learns to become a strong independent woman!
  • Options
    Not liking the production because of the brickwalling and not liking the songs is two different things.

I think it's safe to say that the production isn't good, from a technical standpoint. Not much to do with taste or enjoying the songs of Riot Act more. You can't crank Avocado up on a decent stereo.

Riot Act is better mixed/mastered from a technical standpoint, but also - I must say I love the warmth and mood of it, which is purely emotional.

And I thought PJ would be far way from the loudness war being black circle lovers and all. But even the Backspacer vinyls is said to sound "bad" - compared to previous realeses etc. I found their "carelessness" of the audioquality to be quite weird.

Theu could mix the itunes tracks accoordning to brickwalling standards, but the CD:s and vinyls they should take better care of.

"Not liking the production because of the brickwalling and not liking the songs is two different things."

Exactly. The songs on Avocado I like for the most part. The production is horrid. I don't get how a band that claims to be old school and love the "black circle" can allow an album to be so poorly made. I hope Pearl Jam and whoever produces get their act together for the next album / EP. I wan the album to sound like either Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, or Riot Act. Binaural could have been a masterpiece had they not wussed out! I'd love love love to hear a remix of the album with the original track list and all songs recorded with the binaural technique.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    guess what people, if the tour happens, it happens. out of our hands. what's more important this week is that i finally have fallen madly in love with this fruit, avocado!! it now sleeps in the bottom bunk under riot act. yield and binaural sharing the king of course.... imagine if they had a baby!!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...