Opener?

Comments

• HoosierJamHoosierJam Posts: 104
    how bout The Whigs. they're new one drops Tuesday and their schedule up to this point stops in May which i found odd since I would guess they would be touring for awhile behind a new record. I was kinda thinking they were trying to get a good opening slot after that point. This is one of my favorite bands after seeing them open for KOL a few times. Looked forward to them as much as Kings the last couple of times
    nothing as it seems.....
  • PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
    edited March 2010
    The black keys and band of horses gave new albums coming out in may, either one of these bands would be an incredible opener for pj

again, as with Jack Johnson, his new album drops june 1st, and has announced a tour but no dates/venues yet...the only issue, perhaps Jack is a bit too big of an act to play as an opener.
    Post edited by PJ Fan est. 1990 on
  • jack daniels>ganj>show
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    HoosierJam wrote:
    how bout The Whigs. they're new one drops Tuesday and their schedule up to this point stops in May which i found odd since I would guess they would be touring for awhile behind a new record. I was kinda thinking they were trying to get a good opening slot after that point. This is one of my favorite bands after seeing them open for KOL a few times. Looked forward to them as much as Kings the last couple of times

I would love to see The Whigs open. They are flippin awesome. Just pre-ordered their new album and I am going to get tickets to their Chicago show shortly.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Bird33 wrote:

who are you...sweetlew???

Just call me Kareem :)

I've been enjoying the boards for a long time now, figured it was time to join in on the fun.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,954
    COHEED & CAMBRIA!!!!!

seriously............the.gaslight.anthem.

please.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    my buddy who works with grabow says there have been some inquiries about Conan opening for PJ on a few US dates.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Liam Finn and that chick!!!
  • 81 wrote:
    my buddy who works with grabow says there have been some inquiries about Conan opening for PJ on a few US dates.

it would be nice to see a comedian open for a change, like they did in the old days. i actually saw Franki Valli a couple years back and a comedian opened for him...i felt it was a really great way to enjoy a concert
    KO282453 wrote:

once was more than enough, for me. :sick:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JR166885JR166885 Posts: 3
    From Tegan and Sara web site

Big news thursday!
    Got word today that THURSDAY we are announcing a BIG summer tour supporting one of our fave bands. No, it is not the announcement of the two Lillith Fair dates we are doing, although info on those is also coming soon. It’s something else. We are just that busy! Check back on Thursday!
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    jACK jOHNSON....NEW ABLUM ON JUNE 1
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
    imalive wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

i saw them twice on teh EV solo tour. i really enjoyed them
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    imalive wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

i found them,....intresting anyway. not bad not great, but better than most of PJ openers.
    dirtyT wrote:
    jACK jOHNSON....NEW ABLUM ON JUNE 1

No.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    KO282453 wrote:
    not bad not great, but better than most of PJ openers.

yeah, for the most part, the bar hasn't been set real high. :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pantspants Posts: 60
    That Conan thing is interesting, but has he ever really done stand-up? I don't count his monologue as stand-up because he would have to spend more than 10 minutes up there and won't have his band for banter. He and his team are creative enough to do something, though. That being said, the Tegan and Sara idea sounds more plausible. Gaslight Anthem, the Whigs... those would be excellent choices
  • Bird33Bird33 Posts: 120
    sweetlew33 wrote:
    Bird33 wrote:

who are you...sweetlew???

Just call me Kareem :)

I've been enjoying the boards for a long time now, figured it was time to join in on the fun.

kareem, who was better in their day...me or magic??
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    The Strokes would be cool. Not sure if they're ready/available to play live, but they are supposedly close to finishing their fourth album.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • SavedFuckerSavedFucker Posts: 215
    Built to Spill and/or Tegan and Sara

i would give my middle nut see Black Keys open up for Pearl Jam
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
  • Nittany1bnNittany1bn Posts: 214
    the Black Keys have a new CD coming out, so does the Hold Steady. either would be awesome. Ted leo has a new CD but i wasn't blown away by him the last time he opened. Tegan and Sara would be ok, i guess, but not Jack Johnson, we'd all be asleep from hearing the same damn song over and over for 45 minutes.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I'll guess Band of Horses as well. Would be ace

That Teegan and Sara thing a couple pages back could lead to some serious speculation as well
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Totally self serving but I would love to see Band of Horses, or The Black Keys open for Pearl Jam.

Band of Horses have had a very sparatic tour schedule especially given their new album is coming out in May.

Spoon would be interesting to see open as well.

I selfishly have also wanted to see Pete Yorn or Our Lady of Peace open for Pearl Jam but that probably won't but it's a cool thought.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Totally self serving but I would love to see Band of Horses, or The Black Keys open for Pearl Jam.

Band of Horses have had a very sparatic tour schedule especially given their new album is coming out in May.

Spoon would be interesting to see open as well.

I selfishly have also wanted to see Pete Yorn or Our Lady of Peace open for Pearl Jam but that probably won't but it's a cool thought.

Looks like Band of Horses is close to confirmed for Buffalo 8-)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    I selfishly have also wanted to see Pete Yorn

Ed mentioned him at the end of Lollapalooza 2007 in a way that seemed to indicate he liked him. They were both friends with Johnny Ramone.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Band of Horses or The Black Keys would be incredible. That said , my heart of hearts wishes for Gogol Bordello. GB are one of very few, Pearl Jam is the other, who gives me the lung burn , muscle ache, voice shred, barely enough energy to crawl out of the venue experience in the here and now; an experience that used to characterize Who, Ramones, and Clash shows.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    The Black Keys- they have a new album coming out

TV on the Radio

The Cribs
  • rolling stones
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    edited March 2010
    Riot_Mac wrote:
    HoosierJam wrote:

I would love to see The Whigs open. They are flippin awesome. Just pre-ordered their new album and I am going to get tickets to their Chicago show shortly.

Also pre-ordered. Have they announced a Chicago show yet. I was at their last one, but have not seen a new date on their tour. It would be even better to see them open for PJ.

Edit.....Just checked out webpage, another show at Bottom Lounge in Chicago. Cool place, cool band.
    Post edited by Kevinman on
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland