Wahhhhh....tickets are so expensive!! The Official Thread

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Whatever the price, we will pay it.

Exactly. Or some won't. Plain and simple.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    I dont think PJ tix are overpriced-they are right in the middle between those $45 acts and those $150++ acts

But there are bands like my morning jacket, RHCP and the foo fighters that play MSG and charge $50 a ticket-so they probably could charge less and still make money.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    If PJ tickets increase in price at a smaller rate then your salary increases, the tickets are actually cheaper!
  • max8700max8700 Posts: 208
    demetrios wrote:
    max8700 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    Radiohead is probably one of the biggest band in the world right now. but PJ is bigger than the other two.

I'd disagree...Tool for the past decade has sold way more albums per album than Pearl Jam. When 10,000 Days and Avocado came out the same day, Tool crushed Pearl Jam. Now, Tool only puts out a album once every 6 years and tours accordingly, but that's beside the point.

Not making musical judgements, just stating facts. And with the extensive light show, there is no way a Tool show should be cheaper than a Pearl Jam show. But they are.

But Tool show's don't play over 2 hour's a night like Pearl Jam does but heir light show's are amazing & cinematography blow's my mind. I've seen them in '07 & have collected dozens & dozens of audio/video material on the latest tours & maybe 1 if not 2 show's barely pass 2 hour's. Though yes, surprised their ticket's are much cheaper then Pearl Jam's. I payed 60 buck's total for lower bowl seats @ that show. Amazing seats too. 2 dollars out of that Ticketmaster charge went to printing out ticket's using my own damn ink & paper. :evil:

Good point, and Tool does not vary their show at all. I caught them three times on the 10,000 Days tour, and all 3 shows were very similar sets (though the lighting did change some). Again, my point was just drawing the comparison though that they will sell more albums and tickets than PJ. When PJ played Auburn Hills (Detroit) in 2006, whole sections of the upper bowl did not sell and they blocked them off with black tarp. When Tool played the same venue two months later, it sold out and tickets were very hard to come by.
  • fuck radio head, fuck U2 and fuck Tool!!! record sales don't = better band....just more tasteless fucks on this planet! fucking M.C. Hammer sold millions of more albums than Rakim and filled stadiums when Rakim couldn't...but Hammer wasn't even a fraction of the emcee that Rakim was....same difference.....Pearl Jam live stomps all these muth fuckas like roaches!!!!!!!!!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Seen it happen to a couple of bands
    Seen it happen alienating their fans
    Times have changed, guess they don't give a fuck
    Every year the ticket prices go up!

It's your new way (your new way)
    It's your new waaaaaaaaaay

Another concert and it's packed to the roof
    Download the songs on guitar hero 2
    Another concert means another pay day and....
    I'm a hypocrite I go anyway HEY!

Never thought you'd sell out
    I never thought you....never ever thought you!

Speaking as a child of the ninety........DOLLAR TICKET PRICES
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Seen it happen to a couple of bands

even though i wanted to say "fuck off".....i ended up laughing!! :mrgreen::lol::mrgreen:
  • fuck radio head, fuck U2 and fuck Tool!!! record sales don't = better band....just more tasteless fucks on this planet! fucking M.C. Hammer sold millions of more albums than Rakim and filled stadiums when Rakim couldn't...but Hammer wasn't even a fraction of the emcee that Rakim was....same difference.....Pearl Jam live stomps all these muth fuckas like roaches!!!!!!!!!
    so what?
    Seen it happen to a couple of bands

even though i wanted to say "fuck off".....i ended up laughing!! :mrgreen::lol::mrgreen:

Yeah it's not to be taken too seriously. The "Speaking as a child of the ninety dollar ticket prices" line is the real joke. The rest is just filler.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • well at least there will be less smelly poor people at shows.
    MrSmith wrote:
    well at least there will be less smelly poor people at shows.

I'll take smelly poor people over pompous pricks any day at a rock concert.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • MrSmith wrote:

you speak out of turn, commoner!
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    The price is right, the price is fair and the price is well worth it. See you at the show.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875

and whatever the price... some tight asses will bitch ;)

this,,for the best band in the world..yes..jut clik buy button..so easy

ummm... are you new here?

it's never as easy as just clicking buy....

fuck i just remembered that... Temporarily Out of Stock

eek
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Pearl Jam is worth the money!!! I'll never complain about ticket prices. I'm just thankful that I am going to see the greatest band in the world! You can't put a price tag on that!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
    MrSmith wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

you speak out of turn, commoner!

You're joking here but you're not that far off as far as how some people are here on the board. But not at concerts. I've been to 20 shows and I always think the crowd has a good vibe. Even people around you who come off as "stiffs" at the beginning are more than into it by the end.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Temporarily Out of Stock

:shh:

Don't jinx it PillowPants...
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    drsluggo wrote:
    Does complaining about complaining count as complaining?

Does questioning about "does complaining about complaining count as complaining" count?
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Heart is charging $129 per ticket in my neck of the woods. For that price they better have at least 2/3 of the surviving members of Zeppelin join them on stage for the covers that they do.

$80 for PJ is a bargain.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 379
    [quote When PJ played Auburn Hills (Detroit) in 2006, whole sections of the upper bowl did not sell and they blocked them off with black tarp. When Tool played the same venue two months later, it sold out and tickets were very hard to come by.[/quote]
    hmmmm... well vancouver 2005 and 2009 sold out in five minutes including behind the stage, but tool in 2006 was not even close to sold out and you could still get second price level seats a month later. whats your point?
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 379
    [quote="

Not making musical judgements, just stating facts. And with the extensive light show, there is no way a Tool show should be cheaper than a Pearl Jam show. But they are.[/quote]
    well, when half your fanbase are skidmarks or teenagers, you need to keep your ticket prices low. tool only has FOUR albums for christ sakes, lets see how their eighth does, and then we'll compare them to another band they have no business being compared to.
    Songburst wrote:
    Heart is charging $129 per ticket in my neck of the woods. For that price they better have at least 2/3 of the surviving members of Zeppelin join them on stage for the covers that they do.

$80 for PJ is a bargain.

Yeah that's a rip-off but Heart concerts are filled with middle-aged people who could afford to spend a little more. Don't compare PJ to them. Compare PJ to their contemporaries like Green Day, Metallica, and Radiohead....all of whom charge less than PJ.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • edited March 2010
    Haijay wrote:
    well, when half your fanbase are skidmarks or teenagers, you need to keep your ticket prices low. tool only has FOUR albums for christ sakes, lets see how their eighth does, and then we'll compare them to another band they have no business being compared to.
    Tool's fanbase isnt skidmarks and teenagers.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    MrSmith wrote:
    Haijay wrote:

you're right... they're arrogant tools. how fitting.
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Metallica performed in guatemala last friday. Over 27000 showed up. +

Ticket prices US$ 200, 75, 35. In guatemala, mind you.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    Haijay wrote:

you're right... they're arrogant tools. how fitting.
    as opposed to arrogant [insert band name here including Pearl Jam] fans. saying Tool has no business being compared to PJ, despite both having pretty strong fanbases, critical and commercial success sounds pretty arrogant to me. or at least deluded.
  • Okay no one should be complaining...Pearl Jam is throwing us all a bone and I think it will be one that isn't for the coasts only. I think they are going to some places closer to being in the middle of the US which has not been the case for awhile other than Chicago.

Just for frame of reference I dug up my tickets, in which I've seen them 17 times between 1998 and 2007.

1998 cost $26 plus surcharges so at that time probably $35
    2000 it was around $40 for one ticket through the fan club
    2003 all purchased through the fan club averaged about $37-$45 per ticket
    2004 VFC through the club ranged from $60-$65 per ticket
    2005 Canada through the club ranged from about $60-$65 a ticket
    2006 through the fan club $60 to $90 (shows with Tom Petty) a ticket
    2007 for Lolla for their one day pass $80

This being laid out, in the almost ten years I've seen the tickets double in price which I don't think is bad. Try buying tickets through Ticketmaster and getting bent over paying upwards of $20 above the face value.

Bottom line, keep your eye on the prize...don't bitch, fork the dough and have a great time jamming in what you know will be fantastic seats. This is our band, even if my next show will make my 18 time hearing Evenflow. Getting older I look forward to that song so I can take a piss and get a beer. ;)

Cheers to all and let's hope for some kick ass shows to be announced tomorrow.

In the words of Eddie, "Thank you, Good night, We Love You, Goodbeye"!!!
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Drew263 wrote:
    I hope the tickets are $150 each.

To keep the riffraff out.

:twisted:

They're nearly that NOW! aren't they?
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    put them on your credit card and pay it off in dribs and drabs. geez.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with the op on 1 point. They haven't done their best to keep ticket prices down or they would have stayed down.

i knew this would get some reaction

ok... and you're an expert on this because??????

all i know... is i look at the price of a U2 show... or a The Who show... or any show of a top performer

and PJ is near the bottom in price

i'd love to hear your evidence to the contrary

Pearl Jam arent' really peers with U2. U2 have been the biggest band in the world for the last 10-15 years. Their(U2) peers are Paul McCartney, ACDC and The Boss.

Last Radiohead tix I bought were $55.
    STP at a small venue $55
    Tool, with their massive light show was $60

I agree on another point of yours, that it's totally worth it. I just don't feel like they've tried all they could to keep ticket prices down. In 2k they were $25-35. They've almost tripled in price.

Agree with this post. It seems when anybody tries to defend the much higher PJ ticket prices, they always compare them to U2, Rolling Stones, the Who and all those ridiculously expensive bands and are like "see? pearl jam is one of the cheapest tickets out there!" Ummm, what????? Yeah, PJ is cheaper than some, but there's plenty of bands that are pretty big and could charge bigger prices, but don't....like Radiohead, STP, and Tool. Pearl Jam could charge 400 a ticket, and someone will defend it as being cheap because there's a band somewhere that charges more. Fuck, you can go see Elton John for 40 something dollars. I dont like him, but that's HALF of pearl jam's prices for upper level tickets....and it's Elton fucking John.

That being said, if Pearl Jam plays close enough for me to go, I'm gonna pay $200 or so for a pair and not even give it a second thought. I find the prices reasonable enough, I guess, but I'd prefer they were lower obviously.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!