PJ could learn from the white stripes

2»

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,851
    igotid88 wrote:
    I personally think that at this point, PJ could learn a lot from Metallica. Metallica continues to tour all over the states.....they don't black-ball regions like PJ does. And despite being the more popular band, Metallica charges like $20 less than PJ for tickets.

Also, there's 20 concerts (from 1982-2003) available for FREE download on Metallica.com. If Pearl Jam ever opens their vault, you better believe they'll milk if for every penny.

Agree with everything you just said. Metallica could easily be charging $125 for tickets and still sell out. Their stage show is spectacular and they are sure to take it everywhere regardless of if the shows totally sell out. I paid less to see Metallica at MSG in Nov than I did for 1 PJ spectrum show.

Not sure if you have seen the Live Metallica app but for the same price as the Ten Club app, it streams their most recent show for FREE at all time and any concerts you have previously purchased in your account, dating back to 2004, are available on your iPhone to listen to plus you can purchase shows through the app and those free shows you mentioned are on there as well. Well worth the $2 or $3 just for the regularly changing free concert alone.

Meanwhile here you have a record player and a shrunken down version of the message pit for $2. There is no reason why they had to charge $2 for that app.

sometimes wonder if you guys are really fans. or just casual listeners?

I'm a more devoted LISTENER to Pearl Jam that you probably are. But as for being a FAN, I guarantee you have me beat. The very fact that you interpret our views on PJ's business ethics to mean we are "casual listeners" shows how much of a fanboy you are.

I said that Metallica charges less for concerts than Pearl Jam and offers free downloads on their website. Well they do.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    igotid88 wrote:
    I personally think that at this point, PJ could learn a lot from Metallica. Metallica continues to tour all over the states.....they don't black-ball regions like PJ does. And despite being the more popular band, Metallica charges like $20 less than PJ for tickets.

Also, there's 20 concerts (from 1982-2003) available for FREE download on Metallica.com. If Pearl Jam ever opens their vault, you better believe they'll milk if for every penny.

Agree with everything you just said. Metallica could easily be charging $125 for tickets and still sell out. Their stage show is spectacular and they are sure to take it everywhere regardless of if the shows totally sell out. I paid less to see Metallica at MSG in Nov than I did for 1 PJ spectrum show.

Not sure if you have seen the Live Metallica app but for the same price as the Ten Club app, it streams their most recent show for FREE at all time and any concerts you have previously purchased in your account, dating back to 2004, are available on your iPhone to listen to plus you can purchase shows through the app and those free shows you mentioned are on there as well. Well worth the $2 or $3 just for the regularly changing free concert alone.

Meanwhile here you have a record player and a shrunken down version of the message pit for $2. There is no reason why they had to charge $2 for that app.

sometimes wonder if you guys are really fans. or just casual listeners?

I'm a more devoted LISTENER to Pearl Jam that you probably are. But as for being a FAN, I guarantee you have me beat.

I said that Metallica charges less for concerts than Pearl Jam and offers free downloads on their website. Well they do.[/quote]

99% of my music listening is pj/pj related. but seriously. i know you were making a point. but it's just too much negativity.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:

99% of my music listening is pj/pj related. but seriously. i know you were making a point. but it's just too much negativity.

fair enough but those posts were from like last week. let's live in the now....where i'm shut out of tickets for MSG
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    igotid88 wrote:

fair enough but those posts were from like last week. let's live in the now....where i'm shut out of tickets for MSG

really? i could swear many of your posts were. but it's hard to keep up. maybe i'm confusing you with someone else.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

really? i could swear many of your posts were. but it's hard to keep up. maybe i'm confusing you with someone else.

I was posting negatively after the SNL performance because I didn't think it was that good. But that comparison to Metallica was from March 8th.

Hey man, it's great if you're enjoying the band's current direction. I'm not. That doesn't mean I hate Pearl Jam or that I don't want to be a fan anymore. But I don't like their new sound on Backspacer and I don't like some of their recent business moves. I mean, distributing your album through Target is fine....but playing a set for a bunch of store managers is fucking lame. The band comes off like a bunch of tools doing stuff like that. I compared them to Metallica because Metallica (like Radiohead and Green Day) charge much less than Pearl Jam. Why is that? Those bands are all of comparable popularity to PJ. It's because Pearl Jam has become greedy. AND THAT'S FINE. But don't be blind to it.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Not being nasty or provoking please no one take it that way but me personally, I think Jack White could learn alot from Eddie...like how to sing.

Meg, as much as I love to watch her play, could actually learn more than 4/4 time from Matt.
    I thought maybe you were being sarcastic. Jack White kills Eddie, obviously instumently and I would say vocally. Be nice if the whole band took some lessons from Jack.
    #FHP
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Metallica may give stuff away now, but do people forget that they brought lawsuits against their fans several years ago?

I can see how a band would want to protect their work, etc, but suing their fans is a bit much, eh?
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm watching the Blu Ray of Under Great White Northern Lights as we speak an I must say that I'm blown away. This is an absolute breath of fresh air. EVERY band/musician (aside from Radiohead and Trent Reznor) could learn a thing or two from Jack White. I can only hope I'm lucky enough to see the White Stripes again live.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    i got the boxset, i really love it. it might be better than the super deluxe ten in terms of packaging and presentation. the movie is great, and the 10th anniversay show is killer.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Metallica may give stuff away now, but do people forget that they brought lawsuits against their fans several years ago?

I can see how a band would want to protect their work, etc, but suing their fans is a bit much, eh?
    and who could ever forget that lame movie metallica did a few years back
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

I was posting negatively after the SNL performance because I didn't think it was that good. But that comparison to Metallica was from March 8th.

Hey man, it's great if you're enjoying the band's current direction. I'm not. That doesn't mean I hate Pearl Jam or that I don't want to be a fan anymore. But I don't like their new sound on Backspacer and I don't like some of their recent business moves. I mean, distributing your album through Target is fine....but playing a set for a bunch of store managers is fucking lame. The band comes off like a bunch of tools doing stuff like that. I compared them to Metallica because Metallica (like Radiohead and Green Day) charge much less than Pearl Jam. Why is that? Those bands are all of comparable popularity to PJ. It's because Pearl Jam has become greedy. AND THAT'S FINE. But don't be blind to it.

85 bucks is much to little for a band like pj. only reason why green day tickets are cheap is cause the fanbase is 15-25 year old. green day whored themselves out for american idiot cd. guess you forgot bout that. almost every song had a video and was played on the radio. hell its even a broadway play. talk bout milking the cow for what its worth .
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Horos wrote:
    Not being nasty or provoking please no one take it that way but me personally, I think Jack White could learn alot from Eddie...like how to sing.

Meg, as much as I love to watch her play, could actually learn more than 4/4 time from Matt.
    I thought maybe you were being sarcastic. Jack White kills Eddie, obviously instumently and I would say vocally. Be nice if the whole band took some lessons from Jack.

Vocally????

I like the white Stripes and anything else Jack White has done, but sometimes his voice does make me want to plug my ears.

His nails on chalkboard voice can grate after a while.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    choop wrote:
    i got the boxset, i really love it. it might be better than the super deluxe ten in terms of packaging and presentation. the movie is great, and the 10th anniversay show is killer.
    I didn't get the box set because it was out of my price range. The movie is excellent (as was Under Blackpool Lights). In my opinion, Jack White represents everything that is right with the music industry. Every big band should take notice of what he is doing with Third Man Records.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Smellyman wrote:
    Horos wrote:

Vocally????

I like the white Stripes and anything else Jack White has done, but sometimes his voice does make me want to plug my ears.

His nails on chalkboard voice can grate after a while.
    Just my opinion, but it seems Jack has more range to his vocals. I know it's a lot of squealing but to me it beats the monotonous baritone of Eddie. Not to mention Jack seems to put a lot more emotion into it.

Most not PJ fans I know get tired of hearing Eddie because he always sounds the same but the same people don't appreciate The White Stripes because it's just a lot of noise.

One thing for sure is that Jack sure seems to have a lot more fun than Eddie.
    #FHP
  • i like Jack White and Eddie Vedder. they should do a song together.