*CLASSIC LITERATURE nerds, you out there?

2»

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    dunkman wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    Ok... lets get this thread back on track for the OP

I'm a huge Ernest Hemingway fan... he's actually the reason its ok for me to drink mojitos as well.

You have to able to box before you can safely drink mojitos.

phew... punching orphans has been worthwhile after all.

hahaha

Shit, man, that's its own reward. When you're done punching those bastards, send them my way. I'm running low on the real small ones for the tight chambers in my acid mines.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Anybody read any Nabokov?
  • DriftEdDriftEd Posts: 74
    How about some of my favorites...Thompson and Bukowski. Kerouac, Hemingway, Salinger too!
    I sometimes wonder if they know that I'm gone...
    DriftEd wrote:
    How about some of my favorites...Thompson and Bukowski. Kerouac, Hemingway, Salinger too!

I loved all of those in college, but then I got old, crabby, and cynical. :roll: :lol: (Aside from Hemingway, of course)
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    cdp1223 wrote:
    DriftEd wrote:

I loved all of those in college, but then I got old, crabby, and cynical. :roll: :lol: (Aside from Hemingway, of course)

I still like a lot of that stuff... even if Bukowski did write the same poem about 1 million times. He was the AC/DC of poetry.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm a total classic lit nerd. Adam Bede is one of my favorite books ever. I also like James Joyce - short stories more than Ulysses (I've never been able to finish it). "The Dead." Just typing that makes me want to find it and read it again. And I would recommend Edith Wharton to anybody who hasn't read her. House of Mirth - fantastic.

(I do have to defend S. King - I don't think he's trash fiction. I think he's more like Dickens. Trash fiction to me is anything by James Patterson and that ilk.)
    Enkidu wrote:
    I'm a total classic lit nerd. Adam Bede is one of my favorite books ever. I also like James Joyce - short stories more than Ulysses (I've never been able to finish it). "The Dead." Just typing that makes me want to find it and read it again. And I would recommend Edith Wharton to anybody who hasn't read her. House of Mirth - fantastic.

(I do have to defend S. King - I don't think he's trash fiction. I think he's more like Dickens. Trash fiction to me is anything by James Patterson and that ilk.)

I will second Edith Wharton! And Adam Bede for that matter.....where do you stand on Middlemarch?
  • Classic literature nerd to the nth degree. :D Just finishing up my last year of undergrad and then moving on to my Masters degree in English, almost entirely funded by the university.

Although...my research interests are decidedly NON-classic and actually a little too radical for most of my profs' tastes. I'm ridiculously obsessed with digital culture and all the weird, experimental shit that's been done over the past decade. Ah, well, I've still read all the important stuff.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    I'm sure I don't qualify, but I would be interested to here your take on Joseph Conrad.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Aero83_ wrote:
    I'm sure I don't qualify, but I would be interested to here your take on Joseph Conrad.

Is "Ugh" good enough? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I wish I could erase "Heart of Darkness" from my memory. Overrated piece of shit that spawned one of the most mind-numbing films I've ever seen. Am I coming on too strong? Hee hee...I'm a tad passionate about what I read, whether I love it or hate it. Although I thought "Nostromo" was substantially better. I can give him credit for that one.
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Aero83_ wrote:

Seriously though, I wish I could erase "Heart of Darkness" from my memory. Overrated piece of shit that spawned one of the most mind-numbing films I've ever seen. Am I coming on too strong? Hee hee...I'm a tad passionate about what I read, whether I love it or hate it. Although I thought "Nostromo" was substantially better. I can give him credit for that one.

I don't know about "good enough" but I would say it definitely give me an idea of your take on him.
    Somebody turned me onto Typhoon not too long ago, read a few chapters thought it read pretty well, maybe more so because I've done some sailing/exploring myself..I didn't even make the connection he wrote Hearts of Darkness until afterwards....anyways...thx Late
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Aero83_ wrote:
    Aero83_ wrote:

I don't know about "good enough" but I would say it definitely give me an idea of your take on him.
    Somebody turned me onto Typhoon not too long ago, read a few chapters thought it read pretty well, maybe more so because I've done some sailing/exploring myself..I didn't even make the connection he wrote Hearts of Darkness until afterwards....anyways...thx Late
    Conrad is a helluva writer. Especially if you consider that he was Polish by birth and didn't learn English until he was in his 20s.

I really like Heart of Darkness. To get a better perspective of it, try reading King Leopold's Ghost, which is about how Belgium established its colony in the Congo. It's fascinating and brutal. There are some chapters that specifically relate to Conrad and the situation he recreates in Heart of Darkness. Even if you just read those chapters, you'll see the novel in a completely different light.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I'm not what you would call a "Classical Literature Nerd" but I did get a minor in English that required me to read a lot of the classics. I'm more of a history and fictional history nerd, although my favorite writer of all time is F. Scott Fitzgerald. I believe he wrote some stuff thats considered important American literature ;) .

The Beautiful and Damned is probably one of my most favorite reads. It's at least in my top three.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • evenflow wrote:
    I'm not what you would call a "Classical Literature Nerd" but I did get a minor in English that required me to read a lot of the classics. I'm more of a history and fictional history nerd, although my favorite writer of all time is F. Scott Fitzgerald. I believe he wrote some stuff thats considered important American literature ;) .

The Beautiful and Damned is probably one of my most favorite reads. It's at least in my top three.

I love Fitzgerald. :) I've never actually been required to read anything of his in my four years of English majoring (in Canada, he's not studied as often except in American lit. survey courses, which I've actually never taken) but I've read "The Great Gatsby" and a few short stories.