Oprah's No Cell Phone driving pledge

PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Did anyone see that episode? It was so intense. You can watch it online.
http://www.oprah.com/packages/no-phone-zone.html

Out of curiosity how many of you text/talk on phone while driving and what are your ages? I thought it was only kids who texted while driving but looks like adults do too.
Shows:
Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oprah would bitch slap me if she knew how often i did that!

Honestly though, I used to a lot....until i almost got into an accident. :?
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • I could never text while driving. I don't know how people do it. If I need to text, I pull over.

Admittedly, however, I have, on occasion, texted at red lights.

I think it's great that texting/phoning while driving is now illegal.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    It's illegal here to use your mobile while driving.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • It's really easy for a millionaire, who never has to drive herself, to pledge not to talk/text and drive. I'm sick of her. :roll:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Fuck Oprah, but driving and talking on a cell phone should be illegal everywhere.
  • its not illegal in enough states, it is here in washington but people still do it all the time.
    also oprah rocks
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • It's really easy for a millionaire, who never has to drive herself, to pledge not to talk/text and drive. I'm sick of her. :roll:

ummm... it's pretty easy for anyone not to talk/text while driving.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

+1

I just heard a story of a family killed by a texting/driving teenager. Why the fuck do you need to text while you're driving? People like you make me sick.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Honestly -- texting and driving is 1000x worse than drinking and driving. I hope that some day soon the same stigma that drunk drivers get is also linked with text drivers. Even hands-free phoning should be banned. I don't know what it is but when you are talking to someone on the phone it is way more distracting than talking to someone in the car. The fact that you are not holding a phone to your ear really has no bearing on where your attention is.

Texting and driving really is epidemic among young women too. It's to the point where insurance companies are starting to shift their discrimination against young female drivers over young male drivers because of this.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Not fond of Oprah but do like this pledge and hopefully laws to follow. My son and I were nearly killed yesterday, broad sided by a driver who went right through a red light as I on green was to make a left turn. Not sure if they were texting but pretty fair chance of it.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    I hate O, she is a woman brainwasher, fuck her.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    edited February 2010
    I actually saw an ambulance driver texting while driving yesterday!! :shock:
    pandora wrote:
    Not fond of Oprah but do like this pledge and hopefully laws to follow. My son and I were nearly killed yesterday, broad sided by a driver who went right through a red light as I on green was to make a left turn. Not sure if they were texting but pretty fair chance of it.

Whoa! Are you okay??
    Post edited by _ on
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Every time I am around anyone driving erractically, they have a cell phone glued to their ear!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • Using a phone while driving is stupid. Two years ago a few miles from here a girl named Jacy was on her way home from college graduation with her parents when a girl talking on her cell phone ran a red light and caused an accident, killing Jacy's parents and sending her to the hospital in critical condition. She is now on a crusade to have cell phone use banned while driving, and I hope it happens.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
    scb wrote:
    I actually saw an ambulance drive texting while driving yesterday!! :shock:
    pandora wrote:

Whoa! Are you okay??
    Yes thank you for asking. My son and I were both really shook up though to the point of being shaky for awhile. It was very weird I looked that way and saw the car- going maybe 45-50 through the red light and I was able to stop just short of the car- a second or two different it would have hit my drivers door. That driver didn't even touch the brakes until a few blocks later, I guess never seeing the light. I think my guardian angel was working with me there.
    An ambulance driver texting? geez what are they thinking? I think texting must be addictive maybe for some.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    texters suck...i don't care if it's in a car, or in a bar...i hate texting

and the worse thing is people fucking with their phones during a movie...sure i can't hear it, but i can see it. put it the fuck away jackass
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • InHerOwnWorldInHerOwnWorld Posts: 592
    edited February 2010
    It's really easy for a millionaire, who never has to drive herself, to pledge not to talk/text and drive. I'm sick of her. :roll:

Not when you are a driver and you need to be updated constantly. Not via text. That's just ignorant.
    Post edited by InHerOwnWorld on

+1

I just heard a story of a family killed by a texting/driving teenager. Why the fuck do you need to text while you're driving? People like you make me sick.

Thanks. Did I say I text and drive? I said it is easy for her to say that. I guess people who jump to conclusions make me sick.
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Oprah should go fuck herself. She's not the boss of me.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • And I will never apologize for not worshiping at the alter of Oprah.
  • SOLAT319 wrote:

haha, so true. not a fan of the oprah machine.
  • SOLAT319 wrote:

:thumbup:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Oprah sucks....just as much as texters
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • That she does.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    81 wrote:
    Oprah sucks....just as much as texters
    Don't kid yourself, she seems way too prudish to suck anything.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Damn! What's with all the Oprah haters? :?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,427
    Thanks. Did I say I text and drive? I said it is easy for her to say that. I guess people who jump to conclusions make me sick.

You said talk/text. I still think talking on the phone & driving is dangerous as well, but pretty much all of us have done that at some point. Since you didn't delete "text" from the quote, I think it was a safe assumption that you did both; that's why I "jumped to conclusions".

Whatever - everyone just pay attention to the damn road! There are other humans out there who would like to continue living.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Thanks. Did I say I text and drive? I said it is easy for her to say that. I guess people who jump to conclusions make me sick.

You said talk/text. I still think talking on the phone & driving is dangerous as well, but pretty much all of us have done that at some point. Since you didn't delete "text" from the quote, I think it was a safe assumption that you did both; that's why I "jumped to conclusions".

Whatever - everyone just pay attention to the damn road! There are other humans out there who would like to continue living.

Well I've never been in an accident or even been pulled over in my life. Trust me I am a good driver. I understand where you are coming from though. People need to pull their heads out of their asses.
    In the case of my near miss, the stoplight is just over a hill. There are plenty of signs warning of a stop ahead but this is where even just talking on the phone effects driving let alone eyes off road texting. Do people even read signs anymore? I am seeing more and more inattentive drivers and thats complicated by phones, they need to go.
    I hope Oprah's deal gets awareness up and laws passed. One story was of a mother who was texting and hit a small child at play who was killed. Can you imagine carrying that with you your whole life? She is promoting real life incidents to show people the dangers because no one is taking this seriously until it touches them with a tragic event. I'm not a great fan of Oprah but this is good work.
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,140
    Using a mobile (either texting or talking) whilst driving is illegal here in the UK.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii.