Sanitago, CHILE

Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
HOLY FUCKING A...my girlfiend is in chile and i just woke up to a pretty crazy voicemail from my girlfirend that chile has just been hit with an earthquake. I cant get ahold of her now. FUCK!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    oh shit man i'm sorry...no help on how to get a hold of her
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    FUCK! :shock: You poor thing....
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Than ks guys, I dont know what to do. It is starting to come up on news outlets. 8.3-8.5. That is pretty fucking big.

The voice mail said she was being taken though the streets so hopefully that means she is okay.

FUCK ME!
    If I google it, all I can find are twitter things saying 8.5 mag earthquake has hit chile... :(

Thinking and praying for your girl Cliffy!
    She okay, on the phone with her now, she is scared to death but okay.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

that's great!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

great news!
    it was a big one, but fairly deep...but still...

Tsunami Warning After Quake Hits Chile

Adam Arnold, Sky News Online
    A tsunami warning has been issued for Chile and Peru after an earthquake struck the Chilean coast.

The quake, which measured 8.3 on the Richter Scale, shook buildings and caused power cuts in the capital Santiago.

The epicentre was 56 miles north-east of the city of Concepcion at a depth of 34 miles.

A witness reported very strong shaking which lasted for 10-30 seconds.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said: "An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicenter within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... l_Santiago
    Thanks again guys. She is alright, planning on not going back in her hotel for anything, till the sun comes up at least. Hotel staff are getting passports out of the rooms and they are trying to get out of the country first thing. It seems like everything is okay in Sanitago, but since she is there on business she and everyonie else wants to get the FUCK out. I want her to get the fuck out!!!
    fucking a, i have never felt emotions like this. god damn i really love her.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Nawww....so sweet! Get her home pronto, Cliffy! Keep us updated! :thumbup:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Nawww....so sweet! Get her home pronto, Cliffy! Keep us updated! :thumbup:

Will do. Thanks a lot. The kind words are most appreciated.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    great news
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I just awoke and saw this on the news, so I came on here to see what you all knew. PJ people seem to know more than the news.

Cliff, I am so glad to hear your gf is okay. Geez, what a frightening ordeal.
    Save room for dessert!
    Thanks again everyone, she has been sitting in the parking lot of the hotel for a couple hours now and it looks like she will probably be leaving this evening, which is as soon as they can get them out. Thank god she didnt get hit by the worst of it. What an experience for a little while tonight.

I hate how they keep saying this is 64x worse than Haiti, well no fuck face it isn't. Chile has buildings that were specifically built to withstand eartquakes such as these, Haiti had no infrastructure so it is not nearly as bad. It does not help family and friends when you say nonsense like this.

Hell of a night this has been though. I freaked the fuck out for a minute.
  • just read in spanish newspaper EL PAIS..47 people are dead already,,,so sad..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,276
    Yeah my parents contacted my grandmother & uncle they are OK just scared as hell , I've been thru an earthquake when i was around 8yrs old when i lived there they are the scariest thing you can live thru Concepcion is deep in the South so far pretty good news on the death toll :cry: .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,276
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Thanks again everyone, she has been sitting in the parking lot of the hotel for a couple hours now and it looks like she will probably be leaving this evening, which is as soon as they can get them out. Thank god she didnt get hit by the worst of it. What an experience for a little while tonight.

I hate how they keep saying this is 64x worse than Haiti, well no fuck face it isn't. Chile has buildings that were specifically built to withstand eartquakes such as these, Haiti had no infrastructure so it is not nearly as bad. It does not help family and friends when you say nonsense like this.

Hell of a night this has been though. I freaked the fuck out for a minute.

Yeah the country is pretty well prepared to react in these kinds of events ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Looks like she is going to be stuck there for a little while untilthe airport reopens. All is good though and she is safe.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hate how they keep saying this is 64x worse than Haiti, well no fuck face it isn't. quote]

I think they mean the magnitude of it. Luckily, as you said, the buildings were built to withstand this.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    Kevinman wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hate how they keep saying this is 64x worse than Haiti, well no fuck face it isn't.

I think they mean the magnitude of it. Luckily, as you said, the buildings were built to withstand this.

I hear you, was just pissing me off last night when I was watching the news and they kept saying this without talking about the differnece in building structure. At 4:30 in the morning I would assume it would be mostly family and friends watching and they kept saying this and it didn't help me and I knew my girlfriend was alright so I am sure people that couldn't reach them hated hearing that.
  • im glad yer gf is ok, cliffy, and my thoughts are going out to the rest of chile
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
    Thanks again everyone. I acutally just got an email from her that she is "hanging out in the sun by the pool and waiting for the airport to open" Things could be much worse considering the circumstances. Been a hell of an experience.
    Yeah my parents contacted my grandmother & uncle they are OK just scared as hell , I've been thru an earthquake when i was around 8yrs old when i lived there they are the scariest thing you can live thru Concepcion is deep in the South so far pretty good news on the death toll :cry: .....

good to hear your family is ok

cliffy, hang in there bud...she'll be home before you know it
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I just saw this thread, but I'm so happy to hear that your girlfriend is safe.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,839
    DS114969 wrote:
    I just saw this thread, but I'm so happy to hear that your girlfriend is safe.

+1 Glad she's ok also. Wow just shocking.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Thanks guys. Really apprecaite it. Great people around here.

Things are going well. A lot of sitting around, the meeting she was at is obviously cancelled but they can't get out till probably Monday when the airport reopens. A few aftershocks have scared the shit out of her but other than that she is just sitting around, at least there is a pool and it is 85 and sunny.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    holy crap, just saw this thread, glad everything is ok with your gal cliffy.

Earthquakes ain't no joke. Probably a bit freakier for the east coast people to understand, which, I'm still in that group. The biggest one I've felt in the 5 years I've been out here is 5.7 ... people out here laugh at that, I think I pooped my pants.

Anyway, glad things are cool.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    holy crap, just saw this thread, glad everything is ok with your gal cliffy.

Earthquakes ain't no joke. Probably a bit freakier for the east coast people to understand, which, I'm still in that group. The biggest one I've felt in the 5 years I've been out here is 5.7 ... people out here laugh at that, I think I pooped my pants.

Anyway, glad things are cool.

Thanks a lot man. One of the people she is there working with is from San Fran and she said he is scared shitless. They are all sleeping outside by the pool tonight and won't go in the hotel for any extended period of time.

Earthquakes really are no joke, there are no words to describe how scared she sounded on the voicemail she left minutes after.

It's a waiting game now and is frustrating as hell. Sounds like the airport in Santiago wont be open for 72 hours. The Pharma company she is there with is trying to get a private jet out of Mendoza, Argentina but not sure if they can get there.
    They are driving to Mendoza, Argentina tomorrow then flying out on a private Jet from there Tuesday morning. At least she is flying in luxury. Can't wait till shes home.