Album AND EP? Why not just a longer album?

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Backspacer is 38 minutes long, give or take. Ed has said he doesn't want the leftover songs pimped out as b-sides, which means to me they are as strong as the other tracks. Why two releases? Why not just put all the songs on the album?

This doesn't make any sense to me. I guess you could argue, depending what the songs sound like, that they didn't flow with the rest of the record, but we won't know that until/if we ever hear them. But if it's not album flow, what would it be?

And I highly doubt it's about making more money, for those of you that will default to the "PJ is greedy" response.
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    that's what they wanted to do
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    We may not get a 2nd release. The band has never officially said that another release was in its way.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    norm wrote:

Best response possible.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    DS114969 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Best response possible.
    LukinFan wrote:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    worst response possible ;)
  • some songs jus wouldnt fit with the flow of the album and an ep is just a cool fucking idea

backspacer is perfect as it is foo! :mrgreen:
  • Backspacer is 38 minutes long, give or take. Ed has said he doesn't want the leftover songs pimped out as b-sides, which means to me they are as strong as the other tracks. Why two releases? Why not just put all the songs on the album?

This doesn't make any sense to me. I guess you could argue, depending what the songs sound like, that they didn't flow with the rest of the record, but we won't know that until/if we ever hear them. But if it's not album flow, what would it be?

And I highly doubt it's about making more money, for those of you that will default to the "PJ is greedy" response.
    for make people to wonder why they did it
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Because when you release an album, it's releasing a piece of art. Releasing an album is so much more than picking your favorite songs out of a whole bunch of studio sessions and throwing them on a disc. Albums have a message, and the only way to get that message across is with the correct use of songs. If you're painting a picture, you're not gonna make the canvas bigger just because you have a whole bunch of left over paint, are you?
  • FirstExit wrote:
    Because when you release an album, it's releasing a piece of art. Releasing an album is so much more than picking your favorite songs out of a whole bunch of studio sessions and throwing them on a disc. Albums have a message, and the only way to get that message across is with the correct use of songs. If you're painting a picture, you're not gonna make the canvas bigger just because you have a whole bunch of left over paint, are you?

Genius Responce...Ever come up to The Rumbleseat in Chicopee, MA I'll buy you a beer.
  • FirstExit wrote:
    Because when you release an album, it's releasing a piece of art. Releasing an album is so much more than picking your favorite songs out of a whole bunch of studio sessions and throwing them on a disc. Albums have a message, and the only way to get that message across is with the correct use of songs. If you're painting a picture, you're not gonna make the canvas bigger just because you have a whole bunch of left over paint, are you?

word. thank you
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • You could even look at this idea with Lost Dogs. Going through those tracks, there are many that all of us would think that should have been on the main album. What it comes to is that the song just doesn't flow with the direction the album is going, like Sad not truly fitting in with the decidedly less mainstream Binaural, Alone not making it onto Ten, etc. It comes down to the the guys really picking the songs they believe that conveys the ideas, thoughts, feelings, etc. that they're are presenting in the complete, final package.
  • FirstExit wrote:

I would agree with that, but only in the context of a concept album. Eddie has been known to purposely keep radio-friendly tracks off their previous albums, so in effect, he was doing exactly what you said shouldn't be done (just in a skewed way), thus sort of proving my point.

Also, why even bother releasing the B-sides at all then, if they don't go along with the message?

Also, a painting is usually ONE piece of art. An album is a collection of art pieces, so it's quite different. I know this, I am also a musician/songwriter (as I'm sure many on here are). Backspacer, as it stands now, does not have one central theme, thus rendering the "message" theory a bit moot. Maybe if you were talking about The Wall, or Quadrophenia, or Dark Side Of The Moon, maybe, but I see no central theme on BS.

If the EP songs SOUND like something completely different, then that would make sense. But then maybe THEY all wouldn't flow together, right?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • BeerBaron wrote:
    We may not get a 2nd release. The band has never officially said that another release was in its way.

you are correct. this is all conjecture.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Sorry to be so basic about it but Riot Act had 15 songs on it and although that wasn't all the songs recorded during the sessions it was too long for some and I'm only really starting to judge it as a classic and appreciate it now. I spent too long thinking Riot Act had too much filler and although I like the songs it is still too long. Backspacer is a great slice of American rock music and a fine collection of songs. It worked for REM with Accelerate and it's worked for PJ with Backspacer. Who is to say that the EP songs are even leftovers? PJ could have easily written new material on the road and we might not see all the potential B-sides from the last few albums for a long time yet.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • veddertown wrote:
    Sorry to be so basic about it but Riot Act had 15 songs on it and although that wasn't all the songs recorded during the sessions it was too long for some and I'm only really starting to judge it as a classic and appreciate it now. I spent too long thinking Riot Act had too much filler and although I like the songs it is still too long. Backspacer is a great slice of American rock music and a fine collection of songs. It worked for REM with Accelerate and it's worked for PJ with Backspacer. Who is to say that the EP songs are even leftovers? PJ could have easily written new material on the road and we might not see all the potential B-sides from the last few albums for a long time yet.

yes, I like Backspacer too (listening to it as I type). My only points were:

a) it's only 38 minutes long, leaving much room for more music
    b) Ed said the songs that didn't make the album are too good to be pimped out as b-sides.

I still don't buy the cohesive piece of art argument, because to me, a few of these seem pretty clearly to be ITW leftovers. I love leftovers, by the way. Who knows. I was just curious.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • veddertown wrote:

b) Ed said the songs that didn't make the album are too good to be pimped out as b-sides.

I still don't buy the cohesive piece of art argument, because to me, a few of these seem pretty clearly to be ITW leftovers. I love leftovers, by the way. Who knows. I was just curious.

Didn't Ed write ITW to the scenes of the movie? If that was the case they wouldn't necessarily be leftovers (but I suppose it's possible). Obviously "Just Breathe" and "The End" have the same style. I like the cohesiveness argument - it makes sense. Maybe they just flipped a lot of coins?

Also, while there hasn't been an "official" announcement, McCready talking about doing an EP in an interview makes this discussion valid.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    veddertown wrote:

just breathe and the end were written during the backspacer sessions

• Didn't Ed write ITW to the scenes of the movie? If that was the case they wouldn't necessarily be leftovers (but I suppose it's possible). Obviously "Just Breathe" and "The End" have the same style. I like the cohesiveness argument - it makes sense. Maybe they just flipped a lot of coins?

Also, while there hasn't been an "official" announcement, McCready talking about doing an EP in an interview makes this discussion valid.

if he did, I didn't know that. And that's why he couldn't be up for an Oscar for the soundtrack, because it wasn't written specifically for the movie, from what I understood.

Yes, the songs being cohesive (sounding somewhat similar) makes sense. A core message of an album, at least in the context of Backspacer, I don't believe applies.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    veddertown wrote:

Yeah I must admit I love a PJ album to be closer to the hour mark but if all the songs had been on it there would be more to criticize and they obviously weren't happy to put it all on the same disc. At least we got a good 38 minutes (apart from Supersonic, sorry). We can only look forward to what's in store and no, I don't really go along with the cohesive art argument either. I do miss B-sides though :(
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • veddertown wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

Yeah I must admit I love a PJ album to be closer to the hour mark but if all the songs had been on it there would be more to criticize and they obviously weren't happy to put it all on the same disc. At least we got a good 38 minutes (apart from Supersonic, sorry). We can only look forward to what's in store and no, I don't really go along with the cohesive art argument either. I do miss B-sides though :(

I LOVE SUPERSONIC! :o
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • MIke and Ed have both talked about their fondness for the shorter records in the 80s. I think there was a desire to make the album and therefore the songs shorter. That is the central theme. Ed talked about just wanting to get to the chorus in songs and that he learned a lot from the the Into the Wild sessions.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    some songs jus wouldnt fit with the flow of the album and an ep is just a cool fucking idea

backspacer is perfect as it is foo! :mrgreen:

TBH i dont even really think the 2nd half of backspacer flows too well. Supersonic to SoS is a little weird.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Has there been any official or credible information re: the EP?
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    With that logic, Vs. and Vitalogy should have been one album.

Same with No Code and Yield.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:

only Mike and Ed saying it was a possibility in two seperate interviews, I believe, but to be honest, we all know that it means nothing until we see it on the shelves.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • MIke and Ed have both talked about their fondness for the shorter records in the 80s. I think there was a desire to make the album and therefore the songs shorter. That is the central theme. Ed talked about just wanting to get to the chorus in songs and that he learned a lot from the the Into the Wild sessions.

interesting, I did not know that. thanks for the info.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • With that logic, Vs. and Vitalogy should have been one album.

Same with No Code and Yield.

ummm......WHAT?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • $$$$$
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

only Mike and Ed saying it was a possibility in two seperate interviews, I believe, but to be honest, we all know that it means nothing until we see it on the shelves.

All this debate and conjecture regarding something that may not even exist?
  • KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    I am pretty sure the ep will be released eventually....If pearl jam is indeed going to play some of the ep tracks at a festival in Europe..When is the last time you heard a pearl jam track live in cocnert..That wasn't available to purchase on compact disc...You can bet your bottom dollar...Pearl Jam will make the ep available to purchase....Pearl Jam doesn't have a major record label backing them up now...I am sure they will be more than happy to make some moeny of this ep..I am shocked philly boots aren't available..Knowing they would make a killing off them...I still think they will be available some day in the future..{Philly boots or at least one of the shows}

Jeremy