Stipe's influence on Vedder

pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
edited March 2010 in The Porch
No giant revelation here. We've all seen the R&R Hall of Fame speech. Two other things I think Eddie may have adopted from some early R.E.M (circa 1983-84). The first is the move away from clear enunciation in vocals; putting more emphasis on vowels, and only partial lip service to consonants. Vedder is one of the most original singers, capable of a wide range in style. That's why it is interesting to find some of the seeds from which his musical identity arose. The second is more blatant, as seen from these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNi7Kt0iOH4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWu5KZM8weo&feature=related

What is my point? Just killing time until today's poster goes on sale. Like Pearl Jam, R.E.M. made some of the best songs/albums that rock music has to offer. Unlike Pearl Jam, they also have been guilty of mediocrity.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Interesting topic, I am a HUGE fan of PJ and REM but I must say I don't see any tangible influence.

funny you should post this, I was reading this earlier today:

http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/01/rem/ev_rem.shtml

it's a review of a Crocodile Cafe concert (EV solo with R.E.M.), pretty funny /weird evening as you can see, I'd forgotten about it

congah.jpg
  • Interesting topic, I am a HUGE fan of PJ and REM but I must say I don't see any tangible influence.

Judging by the videos I linked, I'd say Stipe selflessly donated his hair for Eddie to use in the mid-90s. He never returned it afterwards, but they're still friends :D

Judging by the videos I linked, I'd say Stipe selflessly donated his hair for Eddie to use in the mid-90s. He never returned it afterwards, but they're still friends :D

:lol:

if these two bands ever do a joint tour that would probably be the ultimate concert experience as far as I'm concerned 8-)
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
    edited February 2010
    Interesting topic, I am a HUGE fan of PJ and REM but I must say I don't see any tangible influence.

:lol:

if these two bands ever do a joint tour that would probably be the ultimate concert experience as far as I'm concerned 8-)

Agreed. That reminds me of when they both played the GroundWork benefit concert in 2001. R.E.M. begged pearl jam to close out the show because, in Peter Buck's words, PJ rocked more. Out of reverance, pearl jam declined so R.E.M. could have the honor as headliner. I wonder if they would run into the same problem again, should a joint tour happen. You know there is no way pearl jam would ever let R.E.M. open up for them. Even though the ratio of pearl jam fans these days is greater than R.E.M.'s (at least in the U.S.).
    On another tangent, R.E.M.'s "Live at the Olympia" album is about as good as it gets.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    PJ and R.E.M. would be my dream joint tour. R.E.M. are amazing live and I see a few similarities between them. I think the Stipe influence is notable on some of Ed's later songwriting and they have a similar humility and an awareness of human and world matters. Love to watch them both. Ed wins with the voice and Stipe with the dance moves by a mile! Maybe they could push the similarities closer by PJ playing at the Olympia before the 02 show for 10c members :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Yeah love them both....have never once thought about them together though. They just fit in two compartments of my brain I think.

But also I LOVE early REM, which is pretty different than the stuff they have put out of late.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Stipe with hair reminds me ALOT of Ed.. Not really looks.. just certain mannerism and stage "actions" I remember seeing an early REM performance and thinking wow! he must have been taking pointers from ed.. of course now i realize it's probably the other way around :D Either way.. both fantastic front men!
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    early stipe looks alot like 94 vedder
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,959
    If anyone watched ACL last weekend, you know that Stipe and R.E.M. can still bring it. He seems to be less angst ridden these days....just like Ed.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165

michael-stipe_l.jpg

tvdpatter05.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    When i first read this i thought it said "Stryper's influence on vedder" , i thought "No fuckin way"!!! :lol: don't see Ed being a big stryper fan, then again i don't see anybody being a big stryper fan.
  • Dillsnufus wrote:
    The difference is you could tell Michael was rapidly going bald and Eddie shows no sign of thinning at all.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    R.E.M. is what got me into music. Love r.e.m.. It would be so awesome if they went on a tour together! R.E.M. is an amazing live band as well as pearl jam. And yes Stipe does look like 94' Vedder. :D
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    No giant revelation here. We've all seen the R&R Hall of Fame speech. Two other things I think Eddie may have adopted from some early R.E.M (circa 1983-84). The first is the move away from clear enunciation in vocals; putting more emphasis on vowels, and only partial lip service to consonants. Vedder is one of the most original singers, capable of a wide range in style. That's why it is interesting to find some of the seeds from which his musical identity arose. The second is more blatant, as seen from these videos:

What is my point? Just killing time until today's poster goes on sale. Like Pearl Jam, R.E.M. made some of the best songs/albums that rock music has to offer. Unlike Pearl Jam, they also have been guilty of mediocrity.

The comments I put in red made me laugh. I'm sorry to ruin your naivete about this but this is how good singers are taught to sing. You stay on the vowels and drop the consonants quickly between. It's not something Micheal and Eddie invented!! :? :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • norm wrote:
    They are both goofball dancers too!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • justam wrote:

The comments I put in red made me laugh. I'm sorry to ruin your naivete about this but this is how good singers are taught to sing. You stay on the vowels and drop the consonants quickly between. It's not something Micheal and Eddie invented!! :? :D

Uh-oh. Maybe I should clarify. Anyone instinctively knows to generally center on the vowels when singing. That is just common sense. When it comes to these good singers, whether Sinatra or Whitney, they do tend to be fairly proficient in articulating consonants. Yet, certain phrasing Vedder and (early 1980's) Stipe use can be hard to decipher for some listeners. It is this same type of singing I was referring to in the original post. This is somewhat the result of emphasizing vowel sounds and barely grazing, or at times, omitting the consonants. There is a lot more to it than that. But I just wanted to scratch the surface. Due to my naivete, this description was understandably much too broad for you. Perhaps examples will prove better. You see, Michael Stipe, in the early r.e.m. days, intentionally shaped vowel sounds to obscure lyrics or cover up instances when there were no actual words, such as in the song '9-9'. This manner of singing played a vital role in pearl jam numbers, like 'Yellow Ledbetter'. That both singers' respective vocal traits sound ideal, with or without words, in a given song is an indication of their departure from, as you stated, "how good singers are taught to sing".
  • veddertown wrote:
    PJ and R.E.M. would be my dream joint tour. R.E.M. are amazing live and I see a few similarities between them. I think the Stipe influence is notable on some of Ed's later songwriting and they have a similar humility and an awareness of human and world matters. Love to watch them both. Ed wins with the voice and Stipe with the dance moves by a mile! Maybe they could push the similarities closer by PJ playing at the Olympia before the 02 show for 10c members :D

^^^^^ What he/she said! :mrgreen:

Agree 100%. REM and PJ are two of the best live bands i've ever seen, much, much love for them both. A joint tour being announced would result in me having a fit and being the happiest gal alive :oops: :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Eddie's voice is Eddie's voice. doubt he is emulating anybody.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    great to see R.E.M love them don't think stripe influenced Ed hes one of a kind old son.
    i just liked the fans dancing did my wife ever dress like that :?:
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I've always thought that PJ was inspired by REM to make a leaner album like Backspacer after REM made Accelerate. They seemed to say similar things as in they wanted to cut out the BS and just make straightforward, leaner songs and I think they both succeeded.
  • DH62179 wrote:
    I've always thought that PJ was inspired by REM to make a leaner album like Backspacer after REM made Accelerate. They seemed to say similar things as in they wanted to cut out the BS and just make straightforward, leaner songs and I think they both succeeded.

Accelerate is their best album since New Adventures in Hi-Fi. It totally prepared me for Backspacer. While others complained how short Backspacer was going to be prior to its release, Accelerate already provided all the proof I needed that a 36 minute/11 song album can work exceptionally as a complete piece of music.
    In a nice example of symmetry, did you know that the conception of New Adventures in Hi-Fi was actually inspired by Vitalogy? Upon Hi-Fi's release, Peter Buck said "What was kind of an inspiration to us was to see Pearl Jam go out and do like a week of shows and then stay in the last town of the tour and record all the things they jammed on at soundcheck."
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I didnt know that, I read that Hi-Fi was inspired by Time Fades Away by Uncle Neil but not Vitalogy which is pretty cool. Hi-Fi is my favorite album of all time by anyone.
  • Hi-Fi is my favorite too. I remember it was kind of a bomb when it came out. I think Monster killed their momentum.
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Wow, I didn't know about the PJ/REM links & in fact other than when Hi-fi tracks come up when my ipod's on shuffle haven't listened to REM that much recently. This has reminded me about them & might just have to check out Accelerate which I hadn't even heard of. Thnx all. :-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    IMO:

Stipe and REM's sound/ song styles are in a totally different catgeory than Vedder / Pearl Jam.

As a long time fan / concert go-er (bootleg collector of both) its clear to me that they have little in common other than most of the songs in each band's catalogue are centered primarily on the strength of the lead vocals.

REM came out of the early 1980's "Indie" label scene (Like the Replacements, Throwing Muses, etc.) and leans more toward a sparse guitar melodic jangling sound... especially their early stuff.

Pearl Jam came out of the early 1990's "Grunge" label scene, which in a way is the Seattle version of "Indie" but leans (very heavily IMO) on a heavy Metal / Hard Rock style in the vein of Led Zeppelin .
    Their song catalogue is bi-cameral in its focus on
    1) Hard rock / Punk
    2) Torch song / accoustic ballads

Led Zeppelin was an innovator in this two-pronged song style and but relied more heavily on blues based numbers.

Pearl Jam's hard rock songs are influenced by Ament, Stone & McCready's love of Led Zep, Hendrix, SRV, AC/ DC, Rolling Stones and Black Sabbath .

Pearl Jam's accosutic stuff smacks of other infludences (Pete Townsend, James Taylor and Crowded House in particular).

and I will assert that Eddie Vedder introduced a new style of rock vocals with the band's debut of "Ten" that was copied by some many poser bands in the grunge aftermath.

nothing at all like Stipe's "confused / shy child" type vocals..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    IMO:

Stipe and REM's sound/ song styles are in a totally different catgeory than Vedder / Pearl Jam.

As a long time fan / concert go-er (bootleg collector of both) its clear to me that they have little in common other than most of the songs in each band's catalogue are centered primarily on the strength of the lead vocals.

REM came out of the early 1980's "Indie" label scene (Like the Replacements, Throwing Muses, etc.) and leans more toward a sparse guitar melodic jangling sound... especially their early stuff.

Pearl Jam came out of the early 1990's "Grunge" label scene, which in a way is the Seattle version of "Indie" but leans (very heavily IMO) on a heavy Metal / Hard Rock style in the vein of Led Zeppelin .
    Their song catalogue is bi-cameral in its focus on
    1) Hard rock / Punk
    2) Torch song / accoustic ballads

Led Zeppelin was an innovator in this two-pronged song style and but relied more heavily on blues based numbers.

Pearl Jam's hard rock songs are influenced by Ament, Stone & McCready's love of Led Zep, Hendrix, SRV, AC/ DC, Rolling Stones and Black Sabbath .

Pearl Jam's accosutic stuff smacks of other infludences (Pete Townsend, James Taylor and Crowded House in particular).

and I will assert that Eddie Vedder introduced a new style of rock vocals with the band's debut of "Ten" that was copied by some many poser bands in the grunge aftermath.

nothing at all like Stipe's "confused / shy child" type vocals..

I don’t think many people would disagree with a lot of those statements. To repeat my earlier post, Eddie Vedder has one of the most original voices out there. And, with natural talent, he worked hard to get it that way. But nothing is created in a vacuum, as you indicated with mention to their musical influences. Even Eddie’s many different ways of singing have their reference points somewhere. In interviews we’ve found they are as disparate as Frank Black and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Yet, no one would confuse Vedder’s voice for either of those singers. The reason being Eddie takes his influences and dilutes them enough to make it wholly his own. As a result, he is derivative of nobody, unlike those poser bands in the grunge aftermath. What I am trying to get at is Vedder and Stipe’s singing has intersected at times. I don’t mean with Stipe’s “confused/ shy child” type vocals, either. Specifically, there are parts within such R.E.M. songs as So. Central Rain, (Don’t Go Back to) Rockville, Can’t Get There from Here, and Driver 8 that I find similarities. It is known Eddie became a diehard R.E.M. fan during his embryonic years as a singer-songwriter.
    I am willingly to concede it could be a coincidence. After all, I remember an interview with Stone, commenting how he hears a Sting influence in Eddie’s singing; and personally, I don’t hear that one at all.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    i could find similarities be between Karen Carpenter and Vedder.

It doesn't make it true.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    listen to Eddie vedders voice he IS one of a kind
    ............GOD................................................
    all bands hail to be this band
  • Eddie's voice is Eddie's voice. doubt he is emulating anybody.
    I think everyone knows Eddie isn't emulating anyone.
    Smellyman wrote:
    i could find similarities be between Karen Carpenter and Vedder.
    It doesn't make it true.
    So what is true, in terms of his singing influences? Besides, I don't think Eddie has that strong of a connection with Karen like the one with R.E.M., as described in his R&R Hall of Fame speech. Of course, that doesn't necessarily have to mean anything.

On a related note, here is a poorly recorded cover of pearl jam by R.E.M.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8UpVx6zCDM
    Vice versa, except a little better audio.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODV4JT5DQw0&feature=related