I am in need of some advice...

gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Posts: 382
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I'm not new to being a PJ fan, just kind of new to this being totally engulfed by them and going through nasty withdrawals without a concert date in sight. I was fortunate enough to be at shows 3 & 4 of Phili, and since then it has been all PJ. I don't listen to anything else. My boyfriend hates me because he says "I'm obsessed". I like to think of it as being encaptured... ;) Anyway, how do you guys that have gone through your "withdrawals" deal with the down time??

In a way I wish I could go back to being a casual fan...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My boyfriend hates me because he says "I'm obsessed".
    Ditch the boyfriend.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    Embrace your obsession! :thumbup:

Even though I've been a fan since Ten, the light really went on for me after their Vegas '00 show. It's all good. As FF said, if the BF can't handle it.....ditch him.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Um hi. Do you want to be my new best friend?

I'm in the same boat pretty much. My husband was the one who got me into the band and now he complains when I talk about the tour, the boots, the forum, etc. He actually prohibited me from using the word "boots" in the house. :( It's like the more I love them, the less interested he becomes. So I just hang out here with people who "get" it. :D

Have the dreams started yet?
  • imalive wrote:

Even though I've been a fan since Ten, the light really went on for me after their Vegas '00 show. It's all good. As FF said, if the BF can't handle it.....ditch him.

I guess that's a perfect way to describe it "the light went on", but how do you deal with that light?
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Welcome to the club.

I'm in Aust so I only get a fix every 3 years. None of this concerts in my country every year that U.S get and Europe.

So I listen to boots all the time. Mainly of the shows I'm at.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    radiohead
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    imalive wrote:

I guess that's a perfect way to describe it "the light went on", but how do you deal with that light?

A tour is, obviously, the best way. But, barring that, there's plenty of bootlegs and DVDs. Many of the fine people here are willing to share the good stuff.

Warning: you could waste days, weeks, years watching grainy video on youtube. :lol::lol::lol:

It's good to be passionate about something. :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cdp1223 wrote:

I'm in the same boat pretty much. My husband was the one who got me into the band and now he complains when I talk about the tour, the boots, the forum, etc. He actually prohibited me from using the word "boots" in the house. :( It's like the more I love them, the less interested he becomes. So I just hang out here with people who "get" it. :D

Yes we should become BFF's. That's exactly how it is for me...it's like I've ruined it for him. I keep telling him we will plan our next vacay around PJ dates, but he's not loving that. BUT, he actually is a fan. So, I think if I just tone it down....but I actually want him to be into it as much as I am!! Well, I "get it" girlie! NO dreams yet. The constant daytime thoughts are enough. :roll: :?
  • I can't quote using the iPhone app, but just wanted to say- I get the dreams bad! In fact, about mid- last year I came back to PJ after a few years absence cause of a dream in which I couldn't remember their names!
    If I knew then, would I know now?

* Perth Entertainment Centre - Mar 06, 1995
    * Melbourne Park - Mar 02, 1998
    * Brisbane QSAC- Nov 25, 2009
    * EV Solo- QPAC- March 10, 12 and 13 2011

• KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    Find some side bands. There are a lot of other bands out there, that may not be as good as Pearl Jam, but serve well enough to pass the time between Pearl Jam tours and releases.

The Strokes have something new coming out soon.
    The Whigs have new stuff coming out sooner.

Also you could check out some of the bands that Pearl Jam has open for them.

If all else fails try finding some unheard shows at pearljambootlegs.org

Some of their old concerts are great. Atlanta in 94, Soldier Field 95, Melbourne shows of 98 to name a few.

Enjoy the obsession, you are among friends.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    cdp1223 wrote:

Yes we should become BFF's. That's exactly how it is for me...it's like I've ruined it for him. I keep telling him we will plan our next vacay around PJ dates, but he's not loving that. BUT, he actually is a fan. So, I think if I just tone it down....but I actually want him to be into it as much as I am!! Well, I "get it" girlie! NO dreams yet. The constant daytime thoughts are enough. :roll: :?

Haha I tricked my husband into going on vacation in Toronto when the show was happening last summer. Then I was like, Oh....look who's playing here this week!! Imagine that! :D
  • Bootlegs and YouTube..thats how I handle my withdrawal moments :D

For example: At the moment Im Playing Gorge 06 on iTunes while watching clips from Philly 3 on YouTube.
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • RGarabed21 wrote:
    Bootlegs and YouTube..thats how I handle my withdrawal moments :D

For example: At the moment Im Playing Gorge 06 on iTunes while watching clips from Philly 3 on YouTube.

Yeah, I've been doing the same, downloading a ton of youtube clips. I'm trying to do a highlight of 10 30 and another of 10 31. If you're interested...
  • My boyfriend hates me because he says "I'm obsessed".
    Ditch the boyfriend.
    +1!!!

Who does that?

I am only dating by ways of low 10C #'s and large... ahem, wallets.
    ;):lol:
  • OF COURSE!! Do you have a link?
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    start downloading as many boots as you can from older tours and see what all kind of fun you missed! It takes a bit of time to get them organized like you want as well.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
    Hey, I just sent you a PM. We'll be on our way to ditching our men-folk and taking on all PJ shows Thelma and Louise style in no time! :D
  • cdp1223 wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:

Haha I tricked my husband into going on vacation in Toronto when the show was happening last summer. Then I was like, Oh....look who's playing here this week!! Imagine that! :D

Ingenious!! He fell for it??

Regardless, he needs to embrace what you are passionate about, right?? That's what I try to tell my man. They just need to have their "moment". We can't push this.....AND if he can't get it then, oh well..he needs to go to another couple of shows!!
    Ingenious!! He fell for it??

Regardless, he needs to embrace what you are passionate about, right?? That's what I try to tell my man. They just need to have their "moment". We can't push this.....AND if he can't get it then, oh well..he needs to go to another couple of shows!!

Oh it's a whole story. Just check your PM's and we'll have story time! :D I know all the brosephs on this board don't want to hear all about how us PJ ladies trick our men. :lol:
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    I'm not new to being a PJ fan, just kind of new to this being totally engulfed by them and going through nasty withdrawals without a concert date in sight. I was fortunate enough to be at shows 3 & 4 of Phili, and since then it has been all PJ. I don't listen to anything else. My boyfriend hates me because he says "I'm obsessed". I like to think of it as being encaptured... ;) Anyway, how do you guys that have gone through your "withdrawals" deal with the down time??

Hey, this sounds almost exactly like me, except as of my September concert! But luckily, my boyfriend just laughs & is willing to do some traveling with me from now on to PJ concerts. He's a keeper! He may not be obsessed the way I am now, but couldn't help being blown away at the last concert. Also, it's better for him if I'm obsessed with music instead of doing other shit online, right? :)
  • Im actually very lucky on the partner front, My wife is a massive fan aswell and we just did the entire aussie and nz tour, her idea which was even better. The funny thing was when I told my work mates out tour plans, they laughed and asked how I managed to convince her to attend.

The only problem was that my best mate is a massive fan as well so he decided to tag along on the entire tour, which didnt go down to well with the wife. Atleast we were able to beat him in the concert memoribilia we were able to collect.
  • I'm not new to being a PJ fan, just kind of new to this being totally engulfed by them and going through nasty withdrawals without a concert date in sight. I was fortunate enough to be at shows 3 & 4 of Phili, and since then it has been all PJ. I don't listen to anything else. My boyfriend hates me because he says "I'm obsessed". I like to think of it as being encaptured... ;) Anyway, how do you guys that have gone through your "withdrawals" deal with the down time??

Couple things......

1.....Dont fight it. Why would you?? Like anything in life, do/listen to what you enjoy, even if its ALL the time..

2.....Casual fans or non-fans dont understand what we feel when we lsiten to PJ, they are brought up in conversation, they pop up on the radio, etc..

3.....In my 26 years of life, I have dated plenty of girls and not one of them was a huge fan of PJ. Tell your bf to suck it up and jump on board.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855

There's no going back now and you know you really don't want to. Just enjoy what you have til you get some more.
  • otterotter Posts: 760

Join the club...oh, wait you already did :thumbup: :D
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • When I started dating my wife, I would send her a lot of music (we were long distance at first). She started latching on the the PJ stuff (had never really heard of them before). This was in 2002/03. In 2003, I went to 6 PJ shows and was only able to take her to one of them... State College.

Since then, she's gone to 17 more shows and is almost as obsessed, if not moreso, than I am.

As far as getting through the dry times... I went through a phase, mostly in college, of downloading audience boots and just falling in love w/ all of the nuances and intricacies of each individual performance of the songs. It's not like I have 20 versions of Porch... I have 20 songs that all have similarities to Porch, but are all very different from each other in one way or another.

I've cooled off on that for now... but now have a more expensive way to pass the time... I've started collecting show posters. It gives me a different avenue for enjoying my favorite band. I've bought several fistfuls of posters over the past 3 months. That's my latest obsession. :)

At any rate, you can also feed your appetite coming hear and particiapating in Survivor threads and photoshopping cats into band photos... ;)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • I'm not new to being a PJ fan, just kind of new to this being totally engulfed by them and going through nasty withdrawals without a concert date in sight. I was fortunate enough to be at shows 3 & 4 of Phili, and since then it has been all PJ. I don't listen to anything else. My boyfriend hates me because he says "I'm obsessed". I like to think of it as being encaptured... ;) Anyway, how do you guys that have gone through your "withdrawals" deal with the down time??

you have passed the point of no return..kick his sorry ass to the curb and join the looney bin with us....trust me, you will never feel alone!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • i go on boot binges alot but i also use this board to find new music.

when we have long times between tours, i go see what other people are listening to and share what else i listen to and find some new music and artists while keeping up on the boots that i might have missed or ignored for a little while.
  • i go on boot binges alot but i also use this board to find new music.

when we have long times between tours, i go see what other people are listening to and share what else i listen to and find some new music and artists while keeping up on the boots that i might have missed or ignored for a little while.

This board is how I found out about Queens of the Stone Age and Kings of Leon.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Anyway, how do you guys that have gone through your "withdrawals" deal with the down time??
    Go to the IHOP....

FREE Pancakes!!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Go to the IHOP....

FREE Disgusting Shit!!!!!!!!

Fixed.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo