State College May 7, 2010

Comments

• Drove from Indy to Camden night 2 back in '08...then went to D.C. two nights later. Anyway, I'm a huge Penn State fan, season ticket holder, went to school there, et al. I wore a Penn State shirt, buddy of mine wore a Cubs shirt that night to the show. After it was over, we're walking out and some dude comes up wearing a Phils shirt and Penn State hat. I think he's going to give me the "We Are" or whatever. Nope. Just starts railing on my buddy about how bad the Cubs suck...and remember this is '08 when Cubs actually ended the regular season with best record in NL. We thought he was joking at first, but he just kept going on and on, threatening to kick his ass and stuff. I just asked him what his problem was, since he'd just spent good money and better than two hours listening to one of the world's most famous Cubs fans sing to him. He didn't respond to that, just kept cussing and carrying on until I left.

That stuck with me. I know there are assholes everywhere. But just about every other non-festival PJ show I've been to has had real chill crowds. I don't know what was up with that guy that night, but it really did leave a sour taste about Philly and its "fans". Next night, I went to a Phils game at Citizens Bank and had a great time. Love the ballpark.

Anyway, back to matters at hand....let's make this show happen. I spent a ton of money driving out to State College every year for football games and a ton of money going to Pearl Jam shows. Bring the two things together once for me....and twice for a lot of others, but I wasn't fortunate enough to go to '03 show.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    StillHere wrote:

Just kidding, just kidding.

I'm not officially Philly..suburbs..and even then only been here about 6 months..and moving away again already in April. Nuf said.

Anyway, I have been to some ball games where things got out of hand with the fans, but I think we're all safe at shows...I've been to numerous Dead shows in Philly, PJ in Philly and Camden (might as well be Philly too, just across the river in NJ, but no different really), and never had anything but love.

I think its the sports venue that gets out of hand. We are quite touchy bout losing ya know..lol! Well, not me, but "us" in the more universal sense of the word.

Supposed to be the City of Brotherly Love right? ha ha ha ha

Nah, it's just football and sometimes hockey. I go to the Red Sox Phils games every year wearing my Sox jersey and never have had a problem. Last year during the Saturday game during the rain delay a few Phillies fans were even buying me and Nothingman44 beers.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    You have a strong negative opinion of Philadelphia based on an encounter with one person?

Oh well. The band pretty clearly disagrees.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Ryan_WFC wrote:
    You have a strong negative opinion of Philadelphia based on an encounter with one person?

Oh well. The band pretty clearly disagrees.

I wouldn't say a strong negative opinion, but I would certainly say it made me shrug my shoulders. You hear all these negative perceptions or stereotypes of people, and I try to avoid those and see for myself, and the first Philly fanboy I encounter goes nuts cussing out my friend for no good reason. It leaves you shaking your head.

Like I said though, had a good time the next night at the game, but I was just there watching it...had no rooting interest whatsoever. Been to a lot of shows, a lot of big sporting events and a lot of cities and that was an interesting first impression. I'm not saying I'll never go back or anything...just saying that clearly there are assholes who don't do your city proud.

And what the hell does Philly have to be so upset about anyway...you got back-to-back pennants, one World Series and clearly you get multiple Pearl Jam shows every time they decide to actually tour.
    I'm not saying I'll never go back or anything...just saying that clearly there are assholes who don't do your city proud.

I'm guessing someone here on this board has at one point encountered an idiot from wherever it is you're from.
  • Ryan_WFC wrote:
    I'm not saying I'll never go back or anything...just saying that clearly there are assholes who don't do your city proud.

I'm guessing someone here on this board has at one point encountered an idiot from wherever it is you're from.

Probably not. It's been a long, long time since Pearl Jam played Indy. And, even if someone had, I wouldn't take it as a shot at my civic pride. Like I've said, I know there are guys like that everywhere...just found it unfortunate that it happened in Philly...a place that every sports fan ever has heard bad things about. I didn't let it ruin my weekend. I just laugh about it now.

And, hit me up if this State College show happens...beer is on me. That's some Hoosier hospitality in Happy Valley.
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

And, hit me up if this State College show happens...beer is on me. That's some Hoosier hospitality in Happy Valley.

I'll be making the trip as well from the Indy area. We can meet up and get rowdy and yell at Philly fans. :twisted:

***Raises glass to toast local hoosier
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • HarvtronHarvtron Posts: 148
    I am a current Penn State Student who would do anything for this concert to happen. If PJ is only thinking about playing at Penn State and nothing is set, then lets get a online petition going or I'll sit at the HUB at Penn State and get people to to sign a petition. That way they will see we want them to come!!!
    Camden NJ night 1 6/19/2008 (one of the best days of my life!)

Music is the engine to my Imagination and Pearl Jam is the fuel for that engine.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Whether you philly people are jerks or not we can definatly all agree that the state college area has nicer fans and deserves a show way more, thats the only thing that the 1st person that mentioned philly was saying.
  • this would be great.... just hope the date is a little later in may.... *fingers crossed*
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    I wonder if tentitive means, pearl jam is scheduled for the BJC tentitivly on may 7 or pearl jam is tentitivly scheduled for the BJC may 7th, meaning that i wonder if the specific date is unsure or if the venue itself is unsure? (Hopfully its the 1st one :? )
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    RiotZact wrote:
    I wonder if tentitive means, pearl jam is scheduled for the BJC tentitivly on may 7 or pearl jam is tentitivly scheduled for the BJC may 7th, meaning that i wonder if the specific date is unsure or if the venue itself is unsure? (Hopfully its the 1st one :? )
    I'm thinking that the "unsure" in the equation is the tour in general. If the tour is go, State College on May 7th is go. I bet they have dates on hold at a lot of places like this as they do 1 of 2 things: decide to tour or not OR work on other cities/venues to fill in the empty dates...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
    BeerBaron wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:
    I'm thinking that the "unsure" in the equation is the tour in general. If the tour is go, State College on May 7th is go. I bet they have dates on hold at a lot of places like this as they do 1 of 2 things: decide to tour or not OR work on other cities/venues to fill in the empty dates...

I don't think this because I don't think they were ever even considering a "tour", I was thinking that this and maybe 1 or 2 other places would get a show like chicago and toronto did a little while ago, and plus no other venue has actually had people seeing actual proof that they were scheduled to play, the rest were just rumors, but who knows, it has to be anounced soon so i guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • The timing would be very awesomely appropriate. Last year, on the friday of finals week, Bruce came to Penn State. This year, on the friday of finals week, Pearl Jam??? Beautiful.
    331xxx

Reading 10.01.04
    Philadelphia 10.03.05
    Camden 05.28.06
    Camden 05.29.06
    Camden 06.19.08
    Philadelphia 10.28.09
    New York 05.21.10
    Chicago 07.19.13
    Philadelphia 04.29.16
    Baltimore 03.28.20
    RiotZact wrote:

I don't think this because I don't think they were ever even considering a "tour", I was thinking that this and maybe 1 or 2 other places would get a show like chicago and toronto did a little while ago, and plus no other venue has actually had people seeing actual proof that they were scheduled to play, the rest were just rumors, but who knows, it has to be anounced soon so i guess we'll have to wait and see.
    When I say "tour", I really mean "mini tour" ... I am talking 10-15 shows max. I highly doubt they will play 1 or 2 shows on the east coast and call it a day.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Solat13 wrote:
    Nah, it's just football and sometimes hockey. I go to the Red Sox Phils games every year wearing my Sox jersey and never have had a problem. Last year during the Saturday game during the rain delay a few Phillies fans were even buying me and Nothingman44 beers.

I'm no slouch when it comes to hating Philly sports fans, but I've gone to a few Yankees/Phillies matchups in my day, and the biggest assholes there are always the Sox fans that show up. :)

Back on topic... I wonder if the PSU show were to come to fruition if they would try to live up to the high expectations set by '03... I mean, they've played that joint once and it was epic (to use a word my wife despises)... returning 7 yrs later as part of a (potentially) mini tour where few other places get any shows and just turning in a "standard" performance would get this forum full of whiners, that's for sure. :)

I'd like to start a campaign to make it mandatory that all paragraphs end with smileys. :)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • bumperdebumperde Posts: 104
    They also have a hold date for May 7th for Sno Mountain in Scranton PA. We'll see!
    "take my hand, not my picture"
  • bumperde wrote:
    They also have a hold date for May 7th for Sno Mountain in Scranton PA. We'll see!

Here's how I know this is complete BS....there is no venue at Sno Mountain. They have shows at Montage but not Sno. Nice try though.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    bumperde wrote:

Here's how I know this is complete BS....there is no venue at Sno Mountain. They have shows at Montage but not Sno. Nice try though.

i think that is what he meant
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • bumperdebumperde Posts: 104
    jets521 wrote:
    bumperde wrote:

i think that is what he meant

Exactly..It's called Toyota Pavilion at SNO Mountain. It's name has been changed from Montage.
    "take my hand, not my picture"
  • Back on topic... I wonder if the PSU show were to come to fruition if they would try to live up to the high expectations set by '03... I mean, they've played that joint once and it was epic (to use a word my wife despises)... returning 7 yrs later as part of a (potentially) mini tour where few other places get any shows and just turning in a "standard" performance would get this forum full of whiners, that's for sure.

eddie said during the halloween show at the spectrum something along the lines of "the last time we did a 3 hour show it was in your state also at penn state" and the later "this is it for the 3 hour shows, we arent doing these anymore, only for the spectrum"

so my guess is that the show would be awesome but, i wouldnt expect anything along the lines of 2003.

and thats if it actually happens
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...

Back on topic... I wonder if the PSU show were to come to fruition if they would try to live up to the high expectations set by '03... I mean, they've played that joint once and it was epic (to use a word my wife despises)... returning 7 yrs later as part of a (potentially) mini tour where few other places get any shows and just turning in a "standard" performance would get this forum full of whiners, that's for sure. :)

I'd like to start a campaign to make it mandatory that all paragraphs end with smileys. :)
    No, they won't. And if pepole go in to shows with those kinds of expectations, they will only be disappointed. All we should expect is a 25-30 song show that ends between 11:00 and 11:15. Those epic midnight shows like Philly 4 aren't going to happen any more (as was already mentioned in the post above based on Ed's comments at Philly 4).
  • eddie said during the halloween show at the spectrum something along the lines of "the last time we did a 3 hour show it was in your state also at penn state" and the later "this is it for the 3 hour shows, we arent doing these anymore, only for the spectrum"

so my guess is that the show would be awesome but, i wouldnt expect anything along the lines of 2003.

BeerBaron wrote:
    No, they won't. And if pepole go in to shows with those kinds of expectations, they will only be disappointed. All we should expect is a 25-30 song show that ends between 11:00 and 11:15. Those epic midnight shows like Philly 4 aren't going to happen any more (as was already mentioned in the post above based on Ed's comments at Philly 4).

Not that I actually expect an "epic" show to happen, but I take Ed's rants, promises, etc with a grain of salt. He says a lot of sh!t at shows.

I'm just thinking there will be a lot of people going into the show (if it happens) with some sort of expectations and we'll hear about how they weren't met on May 8th.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
    I'm just thinking there will be a lot of people going into the show (if it happens) with some sort of expectations and we'll hear about how they weren't met on May 8th.

That's what people said before the Philly shows...
  • Ryan_WFC wrote:

Well... those Philly shows... there were high expectations about the posters and lots of bitching afterwards... so they were still able to disappoint *somehow*. heh.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Last day of finals so any students that stick around (graduating seniors) will be in full party mode.
    http://www.registrar.psu.edu/academic_c ... ring10.cfm
    I don't think its possible to understand how bad I want PA to happen, I need confirmation!!! Please :)
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

Well... those Philly shows... there were high expectations about the posters and lots of bitching afterwards... so they were still able to disappoint *somehow*. heh.

Well, that is absurd, yeah. Like bitching about a great World Series game because the ticket stub isn't nice enough.
    BeerBaron wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

When I say "tour", I really mean "mini tour" ... I am talking 10-15 shows max. I highly doubt they will play 1 or 2 shows on the east coast and call it a day.

What your saying would make sense but it seems to me like these are the new tentitive schedules for the BJC and that PJ was never mentioned on the old ones, beacause it surley would have ended up on the pit if it was, so they must have started thinking about this venue recently, and now that scranton is looking all but confirmed this whole state minus philly for that matter.
  • eddie said during the halloween show at the spectrum something along the lines of "the last time we did a 3 hour show it was in your state also at penn state" and the later "this is it for the 3 hour shows, we arent doing these anymore, only for the spectrum"

BeerBaron wrote:

Not that I actually expect an "epic" show to happen, but I take Ed's rants, promises, etc with a grain of salt. He says a lot of sh!t at shows.

yeah i agree, armsraised is talking a lot of spunk, eddie says a lot of stuff on stage that he doesn't really mean. just playing to the crowd.
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.