Question for the Framers

shepshep Posts: 5,765
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Hey all you frame guru's out there,

I'm running a little low on wall space, and I picked up a couple of posters that I want to frame, so I'm trying to find new places to hang them. Anyway, I kind of realized that I have a fair bit of wall space in my bathrooms that could be used for some frames, and I was wondering: Is there any reason I shouldn't hang my prints in the bathroom? I get my frames done professionally (or order the pieces through american frame and seal them all up myself), and they're usually sealed up pretty tight... I just wanted to see if anyone out there has some experience with this situation and would want to lend some advice before I ruin some of my cherished possessions by hanging them in a bathroom.... (keeping in mind, both of my bathrooms have showers in them, so they can occasionally get rather humid)...

Thanks in advance for the help

shep
Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    I have posters in both my en suites and main bathroom. All have showers, all very humid as i like them hot.

I looked at it like this, I love the posters and don't want them just stored where I can't see them, so I wanted to hang them, damaged or not. Really it was that simple to me, it was never about the value of posters why u got them, I never intend to sell them so I wanted to enjoy them.

That's the first thing you must consider? Are your posters for you or an investment? I'm not judging either way but it's important to weigh up

I have my most valuable posters in these places too!! Afterall I'm gonna see em there every day. Talking my chicago vedder Ap, Raleigh 98, Boston 98 as well as the Hartford, Newcastle 06 and a few others.

Mine are professionally framed too. Sealed, so the only way moisture could get in would be through steam where the glass hits the frame. My framer said it was highly unlikely as he personally thinks the glass is almost sealed against the wood the way he does it. Plus he said as I have mine generally triple matted or double at least, with around 2 inches, the matts would definitely take the moisture if it entered. So at worst every 5 yrs the matts would maybe benefit from renewing

so far they've been in around 3 years and honestly they are as mint as the day I bought them. When I reframed one I was curious as to unseen damage. There was none. I even took down the Asia 95 print and it was totally mint too

so many will advise you not to risk it? But I'm just saying from my experience if it's framed right your fine, and afterall would you rather see these prints or have them under the bed?
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    My bathroom ones are not near the shower where most of the moisture builds up... occasionally there will be a little mist on the front of the frame... just wipe it off once a week or every few days and they'll be fine. this holds, i assume, as long as your frame seals well and the actual paper is not exposed.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    Thanks for the response.... anyone else have some advice?

I bought mine cause I love the artwork, however, some of them were an investment. Though I don't ever plan on selling them, I don't want to throw away money spent - so to speak.

I am leaning toward putting them in there, the first one I plan to do is a Hartford 08 AP....

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Cheers,

shep
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I own a frame shop. If you care about the prints, dont hang them in a bathroom where a shower is used frequently. If you really have to have the framer use Coroplast and seal the edges, glass to coroplast. and if youre assembling a metal frame yourself, you could get Coroplast from a local sign shop (plastic corrugate boaed) instead of foamboard and then you can use clear packaging tape to seal around the edges.

I've seen many many cases of mold growing inside frames on paper art or matting.

So, its up to you. You are putting them at some risk, and the more humid, the more risk.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • shep wrote:
    I am leaning toward putting them in there, the first one I plan to do is a Hartford 08 AP...
    Now there's a poster that's good to look at while "thinking".
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I've seen many many cases of mold growing inside frames on paper art or matting.
    That's gross. Makes sense to me though. I wouldn't put framed expensive prints in the bathroom. I think I might hang that Backspacer litho I grabbed from the goods section up though.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925