2003 and before

Comments

• Newch91 wrote:

He holds the note for a matter of seconds, and then he shreds and gets feedback. To me, he goes Hendrix on the Even Flow solos.

A matter of seconds?? At Camden in 2006, someone out in the lawn actually yelled out "play your fucking guitar" during the Even Flow solo because...well...he wasn't.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:

He holds the note for a matter of seconds, and then he shreds and gets feedback. To me, he goes Hendrix on the Even Flow solos.

A matter of seconds?? At Camden in 2006, someone out in the lawn actually yelled out "play your fucking guitar" during the Even Flow solo because...well...he wasn't.

Wasn't there. So that was one show. Hartford in 2008 he was shredding and shredding behind his head.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007

No way man. He used to shred the Even Flow solo. Now, he holds one note forever and messes around with distortion. It's more of a cigarette break for Ed at this point than a guitar solo.

PI$$ OFF!!!...you *OBVIOUSLY* didn't hear the PERTH 06' or 09' BOOTS Mike was Friggin' Awesome on the Even Flow 'SOLOS'... :P
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Newch91 wrote:

I wonder if "SOMEONE" can play better???
  • i_lov_it wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

My point is that "someone" when to that concert under the impression that Pearl Jam was this awesome guitar band and might have left thinking that they weren't
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    i_lov_it wrote:

My point is that "someone" when to that concert under the impression that Pearl Jam was this awesome guitar band and might have left thinking that they weren't

And they'd be deaf or dumb, no questions asked. Makes you wonder waht they would think if they saw Hendrix or NY/Crazy Horse.

Take the solos away....The interplay between Mike and Stone is enough to make them pretty f'in awesome.
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    i buy some bootlegs..but they never do justice to actually being at the show. I've seen the band about 7 times since 2003 when i first saw them and every show i go to does sound better then the last. That's what i base my opinion off of, not bootleg quality. I went with a girl to the 09 chi show, not a huge fan, and she was amazed how good they sounded....even more so when i told her how old they are too. for a group of guys that are playing as long of a set in their mid 40's and still coming out sounding great...i don't know what more to expect. i've seen younger bands play half the set and come out with half the energy. to say that they've lost it boggles my mind...seriously, they're the best live act to catch these days
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    pjfan021 wrote:
    i buy some bootlegs..but they never do justice to actually being at the show. I've seen the band about 7 times since 2003 when i first saw them and every show i go to does sound better then the last. That's what i base my opinion off of, not bootleg quality. I went with a girl to the 09 chi show, not a huge fan, and she was amazed how good they sounded....even more so when i told her how old they are too. for a group of guys that are playing as long of a set in their mid 40's and still coming out sounding great...i don't know what more to expect. i've seen younger bands play half the set and come out with half the energy. to say that they've lost it boggles my mind...seriously, they're the best live act to catch these days
    Yup, pretty much how i feel as well. i do think the sounds quality of the 03 boots were better for some reason and thats playing a part in this perception.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    The OP HAD to know he would get flamed for making the thread.....why do so many of you "take the bait"?

My two cents: Pearl Jam used to be the most consistent big live rock band in the world hands down. IMO this was no longer the case after 2005-2006. Now, they can still have absolutely amazing nights, and most nights are solid and worth every penny....that being said, I have heard some performances from Eddie during the 08-09 shows that made me cringe! Prior to 05-06, this hardly ever happened. Oh, and I would never say any band is the "best" live band-this is entirely subjective based on the listener.....for example, I just watched Neil Young's trunk show movie- HOLY SHIT! It was absolutely incredible, Neil has not lost one friggin step boys and girls, everyone who says "well, all those shows take a toll on Eddie" should take a look at Neil Young these days.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • PJ is the only grunge band that lived, stayed together(excluding drummers), and stayed the course!!!!

Did you expect the men to stay in their twenties forever?

....Kurt Cobain did that.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • zootown wrote:
    The OP HAD to know he would get flamed for making the thread.....why do so many of you "take the bait"?

i still agree with me
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    after reading this i put even flow on from auckland... the solo... FECKIN AWESOME.

you people are insane.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    The OPs' post reminds me of those little people who write for music mags, they rant about how much PJ have lost it...and then they go to a concert and look like a fool when they need to put out a retraction. :D

We've all said it before, Pearl Jam are like a good wine..................
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    canada tour 05 says you're a putz.

08 tour was also very good.

09 had plenty of incredible moments.

06 was a little bland.

Gorge 05 also kicks OP in the nuts. The '06 run up the west coast was awesome as well.

Are you listening to the Europe boots? Remember US crowds suck ass compared to the rest of the world.

Pearl Jam will always be one of the greatest live acts ever, no matter what they sound like right now.
    zootown wrote:

My two cents: Pearl Jam used to be the most consistent big live rock band in the world hands down. IMO this was no longer the case after 2005-2006. Now, they can still have absolutely amazing nights, and most nights are solid and worth every penny....that being said, I have heard some performances from Eddie during the 08-09 shows that made me cringe! Prior to 05-06, this hardly ever happened. Oh, and I would never say any band is the "best" live band-this is entirely subjective based on the listener.....for example, I just watched Neil Young's trunk show movie- HOLY SHIT! It was absolutely incredible, Neil has not lost one friggin step boys and girls, everyone who says "well, all those shows take a toll on Eddie" should take a look at Neil Young these days.

Does Neil Young tour these days? Play as many dates as PJ on tour?

Ive never seen a bad Pearl Jam show and Ive seen some amazing ones, 30 in all. Ive also seen a lot of shows and a lot of bands with all type of music, 100s. To this day not many come close, some do but not many.

And cringe? Your post makes me "cringe" and anyone else who thinks you should sound like your 30 when you are pushing 50, Shatup!
  • Does Neil Young tour these days? Play as many dates as PJ on tour?

At least NY visits sweden :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    SolarWorld wrote:
    zootown wrote:

Ive never seen a bad Pearl Jam show and Ive seen some amazing ones, 30 in all. Ive also seen a lot of shows and a lot of bands with all type of music, 100s. To this day not many come close, some do but not many.

And cringe? Your post makes me "cringe" and anyone else who thinks you should sound like your 30 when you are pushing 50, Shatup!

uh, yeah Neil tours these days (in fact, he's played about twice the amount of shows as PJ has all time). Fans like you kill me! Eddie is 45 years old I believe.....hate to break it too you, but there are LOTS of 45 year old singers (including Neil who is juuuusst a bit older than Eddie) who sound GREAT, not good, not great some of the time, but great ALL THE TIME. The reason: Eddie has himself admitted that for many years, he abused the shit out of his body and his voice; it has much more to do with this than his age or how many shows he has played. Get a clue or keep drinking the Kool-Aid. I think Eddie will prove you wrong when he finally gives up the cigs and the booze and gets straight, and presto, his voice will suddenly be young sounding again.....at this point, and for the first time since I started seeing them in 1992, I dont feel that I am guaranteed a great show by PJ, a good show yes, but not great. This was not the case prior to 2005-06 when it was guaranteed to have a mind-blowing experience. Thats why Im done traveling to see them....
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    brett0400 wrote:
    ive listended to a lot of live bootlegs
    they are losing it folks
    sorry
    2003 and before

i can see where you're coming from. i think 2000 was their best tour. they sounded incredible.
    2003 was their worst tour because of the addition of boom. he does not belong in pearl jam. it still boggles my mind that they added an organ to their lineup. whoever thinks that boom adds depth to pearl jam is insane.
    their shows are getting better though. they're nowhere near the quality of 2000, but how can a band top a tour like that
    zootown wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    zootown wrote:

uh, yeah Neil tours these days (in fact, he's played about twice the amount of shows as PJ has all time). Fans like you kill me! Eddie is 45 years old I believe.....hate to break it too you, but there are LOTS of 45 year old singers (including Neil who is juuuusst a bit older than Eddie) who sound GREAT, not good, not great some of the time, but great ALL THE TIME. The reason: Eddie has himself admitted that for many years, he abused the shit out of his body and his voice; it has much more to do with this than his age or how many shows he has played. Get a clue or keep drinking the Kool-Aid. I think Eddie will prove you wrong when he finally gives up the cigs and the booze and gets straight, and presto, his voice will suddenly be young sounding again.....at this point, and for the first time since I started seeing them in 1992, I dont feel that I am guaranteed a great show by PJ, a good show yes, but not great. This was not the case prior to 2005-06 when it was guaranteed to have a mind-blowing experience. Thats why Im done traveling to see them....

Neil is "just a bit older than Ed"? What are you smoking? The guy is 62. And he doesn't tour as much as Pearl Jam these days. The only time Neil Young's voice sounded decent is Mirror Ball, otherwise he's a bit whiny. You are projecting, I never said Ed sounds as good as he did in his younger years, age is one factor, cigs may be another, not many people sing like Ed either. Who's another 45 year old singer that has material like Ed's? Break it to me... list five or go ahead and list your LOTS. :roll: You demand a lot from these guys. "Mind-blowing experience"? Every time you see them? That's a tall and unreachable, unrealistic order. Fans like YOU are the ones drinking "kool aide". Are you even a fan?

"They are a 20 year old band that doesn't sound like they did in '92 and my mind isn't blown every time I see them" :roll: :lol: Shut up....
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    The only time Neil Young's voice sounded decent is Mirror Ball, otherwise he's a bit whiny.

The guy has had a storied, 50 year career where he has put out over 40 albums....but the ONLY TIME he's sounded decent is the album he made with Pearl Jam? Think about how much of a ignorant, Pearl Jam-worshipper you sound like there. And I don't even like Neil Young.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    The only time Neil Young's voice sounded decent is Mirror Ball, otherwise he's a bit whiny.

The guy has had a storied, 50 year career where he has put out over 40 albums....but the ONLY TIME he's sounded decent is the album he made with Pearl Jam? Think about how much of a ignorant, Pearl Jam-worshipper you sound like there. And I don't even like Neil Young.

Neil has always had a whiny ass voice, it was a bit less whiny on Mirror Ball, pure coincidence Pearl Jam made that album with him. I love his playing, his voice? It sounds like a dying cat most of the time.
  • The guy has had a storied, 50 year career where he has put out over 40 albums....but the ONLY TIME he's sounded decent is the album he made with Pearl Jam? Think about how much of a ignorant, Pearl Jam-worshipper you sound like there. And I don't even like Neil Young.

haha, I thought the same thing. :)

Trent Reznor is 44 and he has alwlays blown me away live. Doesnt squeek as Eddie does nowadays in alot of songs, his voice dissapears or it sounds false etc. I think Eddie should bring back the anger and growls instead of that thin sounding "high pitched" vocals he tries to achiveve nowaydas. Like Reznor who alwats delievers on shows, on the singing and is hardhitting. But I would have sex with both those men.

And i love NY but he has started to sound extremely whiny and thin on albums to. His last "masterpiece" was Harvest Moon, after that it has been hit or miss on songs. I think he worked live in 2001 but when i saw him in 2008 he brought energy but the voice and the perfomance is sort of falling apart...

Eddie (or Neil) shouldn't try to sound like Mariah Carey and loose their voice and stuff (like she does)... I don't see how people can think that kind of singing sounds good...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Had to respond to Solarworld comments...First, thanks for telling me to shut up twice, that makes alot of sense considering this is the internet :roll: you think Neil Young's voice is "whiny" and that Mirror Ball is his best sounding vocal performance, WOW do we disagree and I encourage you to check either of Jonathan Demme's recent concert movies. Ill agree with you that Eddie does have hard material to sing, and yes you have a point that it's unrealistic to have them sound like they did in 92 (I never said that...). I was responding to the fans who think that the shows in 08 or 09 were comparable or even better than 05-06 or before..in MY OPINION (not fact, opinion), its not close with the exception of a few. Before 07, PJ hardly ever played a bad show, or even a mediocre show, this is clearly how they earned the reputation as one of best, if not the best, live bands on the planet...nowadays, there are those 2-3 shows that were amazing, with the rest still being okay, and some frankly, being pretty weak. This is an obvious change, and if you cannot acknowledge this, then maybe you are not listening close enough....BTW, here is a list of 5 singers who in my opinion can still very much bring it on any given night, and most of them are older and played way more shows than Eddie, and there material is tough too....

Bruce Springsteen (dont even like him much, but still sounds great)
    Frank Black (can still scream like he did in the 80's)
    Chris Robinson (like him or not, his vocals are super hard, and they have been together since 1984!)
    Gregg Allman (hasn't lost anything....)
    Robert Plant (yeah, his stuff isn't hard.....)

These are just some singers that you may know...they are more......
  • jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    would be nice to know exactly why Brett0400 thinks they're "losing it." Everyone's opinion is valid, but if you just say they're "losing it" without giving a few detailed reasons, it's hard to take seriously.

Was listening to the entire Perth 11/14/09 show this morning thinking to myself:
    "Holy crap, the energy is just as high as the early days"

"Matt's playing is tight as fuck" (a given, I guess)

"The whole band is tighter than fuck"

"What a well-chosen set" (could've used more avocado stuff though...)

Losing it? How?? I ain't hearing it.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    brett0400 wrote:
    ive listended to a lot of live bootlegs
    they are losing it folks
    sorry
    2003 and before

In other words, "I like being bashed to death on these threads so I am going to say something that will make you all hate and dissagree with me because I am lying and saying something that makes you all want to puke."
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Here's my take on it. Sure, some shows may be waker than others TO SOME PEOPLE, or mistakes might be made by the band. Overall though, I think the band sounds just as good if not better now than they did in 2003. 2003 was my first year seeing the band and I heard almost all the boots that were released from that tour. Going back and listening to some of those shows recently, there are some things I thought were better at that time (Performances of Even Flow and Given to Fly for example), but there are some things I like better now.

I've heard several shows from 2009, sure they're not all perfect by any means and some moments/mistakes have even made me cringe a little bit, but most of them are amazing to my ears and have me wondering how the band continues to sound so good. The 4 shows I went to last year were amazing and among the best performances of any band I have ever seen. As far as 2008 goes, I think a lot of the problems have to do with the quality of the boots. I thought the band was also on fire in 2005 and 2006. To each his/her own..... It's only been just under 5 months since my last PJ show, and I'm already going crazy waiting for the next one so I think these guys are doing something right :)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Ed had many nights pre-2000 that made me cringe, too. When you mount a full scale rock tour, the voice is the thing that is going to be most inconsistent.

As others have said, I've never seen a bad show. Or one that wasn't worth the money. Ask the folks at ACL this year what it was like having our favorite band blow the metaphorical roof off that place. They were all the buzz in the Austin press afterward, and the Austin press tends to pooh-pooh every band who has ever, you know, recorded an album.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Ed had many nights pre-2000 that made me cringe, too. When you mount a full scale rock tour, the voice is the thing that is going to be most inconsistent.

Of course, and nobody's perfect, but they definitely do the best they can and it shows! I wasn't trying to attack Ed or the band in my previous post and hope it didn't come off that way.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    veddertown wrote:
    brett0400 wrote:
    people said that in 1998, people said that in 2003, people said that in 2006, and now you say that in 2010.. all bands and musicians change with time buddy, its life, get over yourself..
    i have athought
    get FUCKED

Yeah very charming indeed. If you don't like what you're hearing maybe it's time to stop listening. Listen to Melbourne, Adelaide, London, LA, Chicago, Salt Lake, Berlin etc...... That's not the sound of a band who have lost anything! PJ still rule :D

and if you really don't like it... start a new thread to whine about people not seeing things your way
  • I've known several people to say that PJ is losing it, but of course, It usually means they are upset that 'Jeremy' wasnt played at every show so they could sing along to the song they know ALL the lyrics to.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)