Help Me Boot Our Wounded Heroes with PJ Bootlegs!!

elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,117
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Volunteers of the Yellow Ribbon Club (http://www.yellowribbonclub.org) will soon be making a trip down to Washington DC to visit Walter Reed Hospital and our Wounded US Troops, bringing them lots of treats and goodies as well as providing assistance for some of them and their family members. For those that remember, the YRC was one of the 2 non-profits we raised $ for during the Philly Spectrum Wishlist Pre Party events. I am forever grateful to all the people who helped in one form or another in a very successful Philly Wishlist campaign.

As a volunteer of the YRC, I have been helping with packaging treat boxes that are sent to our US Troops to Iraq and Afghanistan and I have been throwing Pearl Jam bootlegs (on CDR) in each box, helping 'spread the jam' to our Heroes in the middle east.

Now I want to continue the personal touch and provide bootlegs to our Wounded Warriors during our visit to Walter Reed and wanted to see if you wanted to help participate in this idea.

Here's what I am thinking:
I don't want it to get to overwhelming for me so we will make this attempt an experiment and if its successful, we can expand upon it later in the year since there will be a long term need to support our US Troops. Let's keep it at the first 25 people who reply to this thread with their favorite bootleg that they want to share with someone at Walter Reed. Once you reply, I will edit this first post of the thread and list your name 1-25 etc. Feel free to include in your reply which boot you want to share. It could be your favorite boot, one that made you think of our Troops, or just a random boot that you want to provide. I will then PM you my mailing address and promise you that I will get your contribution included in all the goodies we take down to Walter Reed.

Some of you may want to help but don't have the funds right now to burn and mail a bootleg so if you wanted to participate; PM me a download link of the bootleg show you wanted to provide, I will make every attempt to download it myself and then burn it to CDR and include it in the boxes going down to Walter Reed.

I am sure I am missing some more specific details so feel free to kindly remind me or reply if you have any questions.

Last, please note we will do this with all bootlegs allowable for trade at this time. The Pearl Jam "Goods" section still has 2008 and 2009 boots for sale so let's focus on boots allowed for trade prior to 2008.

Thank you
Dave (elwayvedder), proud Pearl Jam fan and member of the Yellow Ribbon Club

Volunteers and bootleg kindly donated:
1) Johnny Sitar: Winnipeg Manitoba Sept 9, 2005 & Fargo ND June 15, 2003
2) Bronx Bombers: Virginia Beach 2000 + Mansfield 3 2003 + Buffalo + State College 2003 +MSG 1 & 2 2003 +Philly 2005 + Santa Barbara 2006+Grand Rapids + Honolulu 2006
3) loki34: Newcastle 11-19-2006 and Berlin 11-3-1996
4) stuckinline: zurich 6-23-00 & new york 7-9-03& cleveland 06 and atlanta 4-3-94
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm sorry you're not getting any support for this but I think, at least to me, a bootleg doesn't have much universal appeal. If I got a bootleg from a band I don;t really like I probably wouldn't listen to it. I'm sorry.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,117
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    I'm sorry you're not getting any support for this but I think, at least to me, a bootleg doesn't have much universal appeal. If I got a bootleg from a band I don;t really like I probably wouldn't listen to it. I'm sorry.

not a problem. If there's no support, its not a big deal. However, I have to argue with your thought process. You are using the comparison of you sitting in the comfort of your house or car listening to a cd. Unfortunately, when thousands of miles away from home, whether over in the middle east somewhere or at Walter Reed, most Soldiers aren't too picky when they receive things that we send them such as food snacks, DVDs, or CDs. Worse case is they get a Pearl Jam bootleg, don't want it and give it or trade it to another soldier. It can't hurt and who knows, maybe they slip the cd into their player and it brings an escape and some healing to their day.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I didn't even get to read past half of the first post and I am into this. :ugeek:
    PM to be sent.

This Cheer can go everywhere. :D
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I think anyone who slips in a PJ Boot with a survival package to our soldiers is very Jammy of them, :D
    The logistics of this Packaging and Delivering is already happening....
    People out there fighting the Good Fight would love to recieve packages of ANYTHING!
    I know if I was OUT THERE and got a Pearl Jam Boot, I would be stoked!
    And then I would share it with everybody around me until.............i got a new one to share. :mrgreen:
    got our first donation. Thanks Johnny Sitar!
  • loki34loki34 Posts: 111
    PM sent and a dinner time bump.
    "Billy Joel, Dave Matthews and Bon Jovi, who the f**k starts these rumors. And we don't need those f**ckin guy cause you got me!" EV Philly 4
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    bump for a good cause
    we sit in the comfort of our homes, they sleep under humvees in the cold...come on, BUMP!!!
    for those that are helping me with this initiative, I wanted to share the following with you. its a thank you letter from a US Army member over in the middle east and reminds me of why we do these things. I felt it was important for those participating here in this thread and in past initiatives such as the philly fund-raisers to see what great results you are helping create. Remember, they do not have to send thank you letters...yet they do. Here's the letter:

To everyone at the Yellow Ribbon Club in Marlton, NJ:

We received two wonderful boxes from the Yellow Ribbon Club last night.
    I have been here for approximately 7 months and these are some of the
    most thoughtful care packages I have ever received! I immediately
    shared them with my US ARMY colleagues, the ESPN shirts were scooped up
    in under 5 seconds, the towels and socks followed suit shortly
    thereafter. As for the snacks, the toiletries, hand warmers, Pearl Jam
    concert CDs, and games - absolutely nothing will go to waste. You made our day!

Thank you thank you thank you!
    (removed rest of letter and name etc)
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    ..THATS IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 people ????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im completely shocked ...

ill take up the rest of the slack !!!!! how many CDRs you want 50? 100???? i got just about every single boot since 91 ...every soundboard ever recorded THAT I KNOW OF !!!!

i would be more then willing to burn some copies ... you tell me what you want and how many i should send and an address to send them to

once again i cant believe there is only 4 people on board for this and im a little upset at myself for not seeing this thread months ago
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,391
    Whoa! I just saw this! :shock:

Would love to donate some Pearl Jam Bootlegs! Hell, I am a master of the fine arts of Pearl Jam audio & video bootlegs on this planet Earth! Is there a deadline/time limit to get these in? Cause I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Will probably take 2 weeks to get there.

Please let me know. :)

D
    Hey guys,
    thanks for your recent replies. Whatever we can do to support our Troops, its not enough as I wish we could do more and more. I really appreciate everyone's efforts though as it really says a lot about all of you. You are what makes PJ fans special and unique.

I can do one of two things or both with any of your very generous and thoughtful donations:
    1) take them with us when we make our annual visit to walter reed. it looks like our annual Spring trip is being postponed to sept or oct so there is plenty of time to make copies and ship them etc.

and/or:

2) we are always sending huge care packages to our deployed troops over in iraq and afghanistan. if you dont want to wait to make an impact on someone's life, whatever amount of boots you want can be placed in the care packages that are sent out continuously and year round to our troops deployed over there. packages go out almost every week and we even have a member on this board who has a son that received boxes from us (he's home now and ready for the 2010 PJ tour!). i have been throwing in my extra backspacer space drummer stickers in these boxes as well. every box we tape up with pj goodies in it, i find myself grinning more than usual.

thanks again for everyone past, present, and future who has been a part of this and supporting our heroes.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i have a bunch of boots but they're on my computer and i don't have actual cd/case.

would you want burned ones?
    jones wrote:
    i have a bunch of boots but they're on my computer and i don't have actual cd/case.

would you want burned ones?

yep, on cdr is fine! or for those who have big bucks, a mp3 player with all the songs downloaded to it! just kidding unless you can really afford that...