Options

What's the biggest PJ crowd ever?

edibervanedibervan Posts: 243
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Hey guys!

I was surfing around looking for this info but haven't found it.
Does anyone know where and when Pearl Jam played for the biggest crowd to date?
Have them ever reached the 70k mark?

Thanks!
See ya in the pit!
:)
just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I think San Francisco or Soldier field had like 80,000 in the mid-90s.

If you count festivals there were about 100,000 people watching for Lolla '07.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I always though it was pinkpop or lolla

Lolla was huge
  • Options
    jets521jets521 Posts: 804

100K? no way man..not in Grant Park.

~100,000 was BONNAROO 2008.
    Lolla was closer to ~75,000
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Options
    Laf9124Laf9124 Posts: 342
    I had heard 100k for Lolla 07 too. Last year, they capped the ticket sales at 80k per day. Not sure if that was in place in prior years, though.
  • Options
    jets521 wrote:

100K? no way man..not in Grant Park.

~100,000 was BONNAROO 2008.
    Lolla was closer to ~75,000
    I heard estimates up to maybe even 115,000 at Lolla. I don't know how they estimate, but its what I read.
  • Options
    Bonnaroo was big, but if I remember right, the numbers I heard at the time were around 80K-90K. But the thing is, that was for the entire festival. Don't know if I would really count it if PJ were playing in a place where there were 100K but half of them were listening to other bands. I was in the crowd watching PJ, and while it was huge, I don't think there was anywhere near 100K people actually there watching the show.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The What Stage at Bonnaroo is designed to hold the entire festival capacity (around 100,000) at one time. When a headliner is on (PJ headlined Night 3) no other act is on stage at any other stage. So it is safe to assume that the venue was at capacity. I was there and PJ was the biggest crowd of the weekend, tied with Metallica.

Lolla
    downtown%20Chicago%202006%20019.jpg

Roo
    2838323245_4a0e3937c6.jpg

now these are random overhead shots and are no where near capacity but if you use your imagination to fill in the blanks it is clear that Roo is significantly larger.

For the Roo pic, keep in mind the venue extends beyond the kiosk things at the bottom of the picture and extend beyond the borders of the picture to the left/right
    Post edited by jets521 on
  • Options
    i'm just arguing that Bonnaroo has bigger capacity then Lolla.

Im not saying Roo was the biggest crowd they have played to as I am sure some Euro festivals or even South American gigs were bigger then the Roo crowd.

just wanted to clear taht up
  • Options
    Roo 08 sold 100k in tickets, yes. Only about 65-70k were there for Metallica(according to organizers just after the fest), while closer to the 85-90k range were there for PJ.
  • Options
    jets521 wrote:
    The What Stage at Bonnaroo is designed to hold the entire festival capacity (around 100,000) at one time. When a headliner is on (PJ headlined Night 3) no other act is on stage at any other stage. So it is safe to assume that the venue was at capacity. I was there and PJ was the biggest crowd of the weekend, tied with Metallica.

Lolla

Roo

now these are random overhead shots and are no where near capacity but if you use your imagination to fill in the blanks it is clear that Roo is significantly larger.

For the Roo pic, keep in mind the venue extends beyond the kiosk things at the bottom of the picture and extend beyond the borders of the picture to the left/right

Your Lolla pic is off. The two main stages sit in the center of the ends of each side of the park, not the corner like that. Plus, when PJ played--they were all that was playing there as well. Lolla can stretch from one end to the other of Grant Park. You can't see past a certain point, but I've heard for PJ the crowd stretched back solidly to Buckingham Fountain, which is a solid 10 min walk from the stage area.
  • Options
    ya i actually had just realized that when looking at a map of the Lolla festival grounds.

my fault on that. iv never been so i didnt really know what i was looking for.
  • Options
    jets521 wrote:
    ya i actually had just realized that when looking at a map of the Lolla festival grounds.

my fault on that. iv never been so i didnt really know what i was looking for.

No prob! If they play this year, try to come. This is a great town, and the fest is put on pretty well.
  • Options
    Laf9124 wrote:
    jets521 wrote:

Lolla

Roo

Your Lolla pic is off. The two main stages sit in the center of the ends of each side of the park, not the corner like that. Plus, when PJ played--they were all that was playing there as well. Lolla can stretch from one end to the other of Grant Park. You can't see past a certain point, but I've heard for PJ the crowd stretched back solidly to Buckingham Fountain, which is a solid 10 min walk from the stage area.
    i think i can see you :lol:
  • Options
    jets521 wrote:

Lolla

Roo

Hmm. From that picture I just counted 78,932 at Bannaroo and 97,437 at Lolla. 8-)
  • Options
    jets521 wrote:

Lolla

Roo

Hmm. From that picture I just counted 78,932 at Bannaroo and 97,437 at Lolla. 8-)
    try agian i think you may be slightly wrong on one. :lol:
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    edited February 2010

From what I understand. Soldier Field only had 50k.
    Post edited by AtlantaJammer on
  • Options
    You know, after looking at those pics I realized that whether it was 75K, 90K, 100K, or whatever and which ever venue was the most crowded, it's a pretty amazing thing that this band or any band reaches so many people and touches such a nerve that there are THAT many people in one spot who want to witness it. As was said, many probably never even came close to seeing anything on the stage at either place, but it was worth their time and money to be there in the moment. Pretty cool.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742

From what I understand. Soldier Field only had 20k.
    I cant tell if thats sarcastic or not... but Soldier Field is probably 60-70K if I had to guess. Maybe more since the field was open and GA (and full too). That was an insane show - not the best sound in the world being in the seats, but thats a show that would standup today. Even if Ed's voice was run ragged at that point :)
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:

From what I understand. Soldier Field only had 20k.
    I cant tell if thats sarcastic or not... but Soldier Field is probably 60-70K if I had to guess. Maybe more since the field was open and GA (and full too). That was an insane show - not the best sound in the world being in the seats, but thats a show that would standup today. Even if Ed's voice was run ragged at that point :)

EDIT - My 2 is close to the 5. 50k is what I meant. ;) Still a TON of people and a badass show!
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    I consider myself lucker to be at both of those shows. Was like 20 th rowish for both. Roo was the better of the two. I mean they played Release damn near the end of the show.
  • Options
    shadowcast wrote:
    I consider myself lucker to be at both of those shows. Was like 20 th rowish for both. Roo was the better of the two. I mean they played Release damn near the end of the show.

as an encore! talk about rare.

the whole energy and atmosphere of the Bonnaroo show was amazing. you cant even justify the experience in words. so i will stop trying :lol:
  • Options
    Roo was amazing. Especially from Front Row! 8-)
  • Options
    2009 Outside Lands - Radiohead played to over 100k. I was there this year and I know there wasn't a 100k there but it had to be between 80-90k.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Just for the record...PJ's crowd at Bonnaroo killed Metallica's. We had a decent spot at the Metallica show and halfway thru walked to about the middle of the crowd and was able to sit down confortably for the rest of the show.

My buddy had to take a piss during PJ's set and said it was the biggest crowd he'd ever seen and there would have been no possibility of sitting.

Again, just wanted to clarify...PJ fans destroyed Metallica's :D
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    ACL seemed huge...it seemed like it kept going on and on. But I doubt it was as big as Lolla or Roo...but it was fucking awesome!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    ACL seemed huge...it seemed like it kept going on and on. But I doubt it was as big as Lolla or Roo...but it was fucking awesome!!!

Oh man it wasn't close to Lolla, but I agree--an awesome experience! Austin was a fun time.
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    i was told their largest audience was at either woodstock or easy st.
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    Laf9124 wrote:
    there was WELL over 100k there for lolla...and yes the crowd went past the fountain.
  • Options
    From what I understand reading your posts we're still not even close to know the answer to the thread question, right?
    :D
    Fair enough, I should know it wasn't easy!

I've followed the link to that previus thread too (thanks eeriepadave) but haven't reach a conclusion.

Apart from festivals (or when opening for U2), we may have Soldier Field with estimates from 50k to 80k, with 3 bets on the 70k mark (even though someone hit the number 47k for this show, which we must admit is such an specific numer not to pay some attention, right? :D ). But ok, let's assume it was something close to 70k then.

I've researched the numbers for the 2005 South American tour (the only tour around here so far) and I've got 60k for São Paulo (first of two nights - another 45k on the second night, same venue) 35k for Rio and only 30k for Buenos Aires (first night gig - 25k on second night). My hometown Curitiba "scored" a merely 28k, but I definetly felt like the planet was shaking... lol!

So... for sure, FOR SURE, might we consider the 60k in São Paulo so far? Or anyone has a sureshot in the Soldier Field at this point?

I am still very curious about this, so if anyone please have some more info about it, I'd like to know!
    ;)

On a sider note, I am pretty confident a new tour in these lands long forgotten will break these records. PJ was a regular-to-medium band around the continent five years ago (in comparison, for instance, with Metallica, U2, Stones, Iron or Ac/Dc), but they've gained a lot more respect and admiration over the last two albums.
    Only relatively small venues were chosen back then (Ferrocarril in Buenos Aires is far from "comparable" to the Monumental de Nuñez, Pacaembu is only the third largest venue in SP and the Apoteose is not the Maracana and every person in the planet can imagine what the Maracana feels like since 1950...), but now I am sure they'd do Morumbi in São Paulo, Maracana in Rio and Monumental in Buenos Aires.

That could, in my dreams, make a 80k event in any of the three...
    Can these dreams ever come true? :roll:
    I'll definetly take the chances and fly to check it!!
    just because you breathe it doesn't mean you're alive...