Selling Album at Target

GT261061GT261061 Posts: 1
edited February 2010 in The Porch
Hey Pearl Jam,

I just wanted to question your motivation in selling your album exclusively at Target. This decision seems to contradict what you have stood for for many years, and it disturbs and disappoints me. First, let me say that I have grown with you from the very beginning and have respected the issues that you have stood for. I understand that Target is somewhat better than most of the corporate monsters, but ultimately they engage in the same destructive practices. I know there aren't many independent "record" stores left and this decision helps drive the final nails into their coffins. This supports the destruction of land, and small business, consumption of cheap goods manufactured in sweatshops and the loss of American culture. Have you tired of the fight? Is the money so important now?
You have always been one of the few that has used your success to influence for positive change in the world.
Please don't throw in the towel now... WE NEED YOU.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• This has been discussed a lot.... some people will agree with you, some won't.

I just want to say something.... Why you people that complain about the Target deal did NOT complain when all the other Pearl Jam records were released in big stores????!!!

I bought Avocado in BORDERS, and most Pearl Jam records are available at Target. With the deal they RESTRICTED to Target, cutting off a big chunck of retailer stores, AND they have supported the indipendent stores as well.

Am I missing something here? :oops:
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Evolution6579Evolution6579 Posts: 624
    edited February 2010
    No offense GT261061 ...but have you read anything on how the distribution deal with Target worked? It included specific provisions for independent record stores. The orange Fixer vinyls were given away at indies just to get people to come in.
    Post edited by Evolution6579 on
    Chicago 8-23-09

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Look at it this way..

Instead of dealing with Sony, Best Buy, Walmart, Kmart, Target and so on..

They are only dealing with Target and have control over their album and can sell it independently as well..

Which sounds better?
  • All cds are made in the same "sweatshops." Regardless of where they end up being sold so its not like Target sells "sweatshop" cds and fanclub only sells cds that are made differently...\

I think what cippo was saying is that 2 yearsago no one complained when Pj cds could be bought at a variety of large reatailers....
    I sometimes wonder if they know that I'm gone...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    the deal with Target was a brilliant move

$5 million (reportedly) for a very short record. Brilliant. And without having to exclude independent stores, Itunes or selling through the fan club.
    Brilliant I say.

If people actually paid for music, like they used to, my opinion might be different.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    If you're really against PJ sellin at Target, better throw the rest of your cd's away.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    also this is a message board

if you want to contact pearl jam this is not the way to do it

or maybe you're just trying to bring up this old discussion

bottom line is music is a business... and pearl jam have families to feed and eggs to buy

i think they should make decisions based on themselves and their families... not worrying about "corporate monsters"
  • GT261061 wrote:
    Hey Pearl Jam,

I just wanted to question your motivation in selling your album exclusively at Target. This decision seems to contradict what you have stood for for many years, and it disturbs and disappoints me. First, let me say that I have grown with you from the very beginning and have respected the issues that you have stood for. I understand that Target is somewhat better than most of the corporate monsters, but ultimately they engage in the same destructive practices. I know there aren't many independent "record" stores left and this decision helps drive the final nails into their coffins. This supports the destruction of land, and small business, consumption of cheap goods manufactured in sweatshops and the loss of American culture. Have you tired of the fight? Is the money so important now?
    You have always been one of the few that has used your success to influence for positive change in the world.
    Just !@#$@# stop it. its a damn business.
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--May 30, 2006
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--June 22, 2008
    Lyric Opera House-Baltimore, MD--June 14, 2009(Eddie Vedder Solo)
    Wachovia Spectrum-Philadelphia, PA--Oct 31, 2009

I Only Own My Mind...
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    GT261061 wrote:
    Hey Pearl Jam,

frickin get over it and get on with your life
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Target :D
    Walmart :evil:
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    this thread made me want to listen to Backspacer!! it's been a few weeks....

ah...hello, old friend!!! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    5c64f4f5.jpg
  • DriftEd wrote:
    I think what cippo was saying is that 2 yearsago no one complained when Pj cds could be bought at a variety of large reatailers....

This :)

I just think that with Backspacer they went a step ahead, excluding a lot of large retailers...
    ... maybe the Target thing is making people angry because it's called "exclusive deal"? :|
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    DriftEd wrote:

This :)

I just think that with Backspacer they went a step ahead, excluding a lot of large retailers...
    ... maybe the Target thing is making people angry because it's called "exclusive deal"? :|

i'm not angry about it. they found a deal that worked for them...i say good for them! besides, this topic has been discussed to death.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • norm wrote:
    5c64f4f5.jpg
    Brilliant.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    Downright fucking boring thread
  • If you didn't want to buy the CD or the white vinyl at Target, you could have bought the music from this website, from your local "mom and pop" record store, or from iTunes.

The t-shirt was the only thing really "exclusive" to Target.

Cry me a river.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Am I missing the purpose of this topic be addressed AGAIN for the millionth time? I never understood what all the backlash against the whole thing was. The guys selling their album at only one corporate store instead of many? And let us be honest, Target isn't a bad store, at least it wasn't walmart. I digress, this topic is discussed to death. I'm done. 8-):D
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Wait, is it September? Did I get stuck in a Lost-style time loop? Shit, not again... ;)
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    target was the only big chain that allowed backspacer to be sold on this site and indie shops. so yea go ahead and bitch. least target realized how valuable this site and indie shops are to pearl jam.

i think they should make decisions based on themselves and their families... not worrying about "corporate monsters"
    kinda like that mega multi million dollar recording contract that pj signed with sony/epic back in 91. seems people forget this band has always been bout making money. hell look at the money they make from merch. i guess people turn a blind eye to that also.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    metsfan wrote:
    target was the only big chain that allowed backspacer to be sold on this site and indie shops. so yea go ahead and bitch. least target realized how valuable this site and indie shops are to pearl jam.
    how do you know this?

kinda like that mega multi million dollar recording contract that pj signed with sony/epic back in 91. seems people forget this band has always been bout making money. hell look at the money they make from merch. i guess people turn a blind eye to that also.[/quote]

people see what they want... and i'll never understand people who worry about shit like this... if PJ didn't sign that big contact then 88% of us would have never heard of them since they'd have died out after playing small shows in seattle

i know the band likes to make money... so do I

but i don't think they're total whores about it... they also like to be responsible when they can... donating plenty of time and energy to great causes

i'd say they do the best they can within the realities of the music game

I know PJs tickets have increased in price over the years... but they're no where near the cost of U2 or Bruce or The Who...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    metsfan wrote:
    how do you know this?

Releasing the album simply through Pearl Jam's Ten Club fan organization was out of the question, according to Curtis and Anthony, simply because of logistics. Target ultimately got the nod because, Anthony says, "in our discussions with the big-box retailers, they were really the only one that understood the band's philosophy and the need to take care of the Ten Club and the indies and hit other distribution platforms."

Curtis concurs. "I got a call from someone at Best Buy after the Target deal was announced, saying, 'Why did we not get this?' " he says. "And it was because they would not even entertain the thought of taking care of these other platforms."

http://www.billboard.com/features/pearl ... ory?page=3
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

people see what they want... and i'll never understand people who worry about shit like this... if PJ didn't sign that big contact then 88% of us would have never heard of them since they'd have died out after playing small shows in seattle

but i don't think they're total whores about it... they also like to be responsible when they can... donating plenty of time and energy to great causes

I know PJs tickets have increased in price over the years... but they're no where near the cost of U2 or Bruce or The Who...
    +1
    i'll never understand either.

bruce springsteen keeps his ticket prices pretty low. i saw bruce 2 times last year and both tickets were under 85 bucks. as for the who i wouldn't know. but i'm sure it isnt to bad. ai was reading somewhere on here that money from who concerts goes to the families of keith moon and john entwistle.

the day pj starts charging 250 bucks a seat like u2 or bon jov does, is the day they retire
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560

You also have to remember the state of the music business in which album sales have dropped tremendously and that's why ticket prices have to go up. All because of piracy.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful