Best Debut Album Of All Time Poll

Comments

• Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    And my vote goes to...

Hmm lemme think...

TEN!

:lol:

Seriously though, I hesitated for a second about voting for Jimi... I mean, 1 per cent? Really? Although, no big surprise seeing how the vote seems to be split up between us hardcore PJ fans (the good) and 13-16 year olds who probably don't even know what a guitar is and vote for Kanye (the bad and the ugly). Of you wanna vtoe for a rapper, at least go with B.I.G....
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    for me TEN is the best album in the world ever,...so no joke here for me...voted
    Yield is spelled Y-I-E-L-D, not T-E-N. Duh.

;)
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Kloddz wrote:
    for me TEN is the best album in the world ever,...so no joke here for me...voted
    Yield is spelled Y-I-E-L-D, not T-E-N. Duh.

;)
    i guess u can tell for sales,awards........
    no way...TEN in numero one..always was,always be...end of story..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    oww yeah yeild was a debut album...errrrrr

ten started this ride and im not getting off.....t.e.n

everything else has just added to the feeling i have for the band and the music, but ten is imbedded inside me.
  • Options

everything else has just added to the feeling i have for the band and the music, but ten is imbedded inside me.
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    "TEN" all the way...This Way!!!... ;)
  • Options
    This was difficult....yeah right :lol:

TEN 4ever
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    I think it's safe to say that Ten changed all of our lives forever.

And Pearl Jam's best work? I little album called "Binaural" ... heard of it?
  • Options
    Voted! :D

Current leader - PJ with 72%...

Kanye West is a close second with....

13%!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,519
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    that is the worst list ever How do you not have Pink Floyd? Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Michael Jackson.....seriously

Obviously Led Zep had a great debut album. It might be the best debut ever, but it is filled with blues covers, whereas Ten is all original songs.

Beatles: Please Please Me is just ok. I'm sure it was groundbreaking at the time, but it doesn't hold up too well now.

Pink Floyd: Piper at the Gates of Dawn is interesting and psychadelic and crazy, but I wouldn't consider it a great debut album, especially in light of what came from that band in the 70s.

Michael Jackson: What was his debut? Off the Wall? Yeah, it's pretty good, but definitely has its weak spots.

So yeah, that's why not every great artist should be in this poll.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Voted for ten.....

Joy Division should be second
  • Options
    Voted! Ten is the album that started it all. How is Jeremy not listed as a "instant classic"?
  • Options
    APPETITE RULEZ TEN!!!! Y'ALL BETTER RECOGNIZE!!!

SIKE!!! Of course I voted for Ten....it seems like we might be just about the only people voting!! HAHA!!! :mrgreen:
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Voted for ten.....

Joy Division should be second
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap::clap:
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I remembered a while ago someone told me that there was no way that this message board influence all of the major polls out there.

Well, it looks like I'm right again.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    72%

We are sick :D
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    72%

sick yes, but also right in this case - flat out Ten is the best debut.
  • Options
    Black10Black10 Posts: 160
    For those voting, Do you really honestly believe Ten is the greatest album of all time?

Abso-fuckin-lutely!!

With that said..Ten would therefore have to be the best "debut" album of alltime as well.
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    pjhawks wrote:
    72%

Should be a no brainer . . . . Oasis should come 2nd though . . . . Definitely Maybe is a great album.

Of all those listed, PJ is the only truly revolutionary debut album . . . Hendrix & Gn'R maybe as well, as they introduced the world to classic bands/musicians, but I'm not sure they have had the same impact as Ten.....
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    nevmiles wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    72%

Should be a no brainer . . . . Oasis should come 2nd though . . . . Definitely Maybe is a great album.

Of all those listed, PJ is the only truly revolutionary debut album . . . Hendrix & Gn'R maybe as well, as they introduced the world to classic bands/musicians, but I'm not sure they have had the same impact as Ten.....

I am as a big a Pearl Jam fan as anyone on here, but Ten is no way a better debut album than Appetite for Destruction. That record single handedly changed music in the '80's. You can not say the same for Ten. It was Nirvana's Nevermind (i know it is their 2nd record) which changed music forever in the '90's & The Strokes Is This It in the '00's.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    I am as a big a Pearl Jam fan as anyone on here, but Ten is no way a better debut album than Appetite for Destruction. That record single handedly changed music in the '80's. You can not say the same for Ten. It was Nirvana's Nevermind (i know it is their 2nd record) which changed music forever in the '90's & The Strokes Is This It in the '00's.

is it fair to hold GnR in higher regard because the rest of the music sucked at that time? Looking at Appetite vs. TEN to me TEN holds up much better. Appetite had 3 classics, TEN had 4 and the 'others' songs on TEN are way stronger than the other songs on Appetite, at least in my opinion. It is close, but I think TEN wins out.
  • Options
    oww yeah yeild was a debut album...errrrrr .
    Who said that? My Yield JOKE (and a good natured one, mind you) was a reply to your following quote:
    for me TEN is the best album in the world ever
    So chill, bro.
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    BUMP!
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

is it fair to hold GnR in higher regard because the rest of the music sucked at that time? Looking at Appetite vs. TEN to me TEN holds up much better. Appetite had 3 classics, TEN had 4 and the 'others' songs on TEN are way stronger than the other songs on Appetite, at least in my opinion. It is close, but I think TEN wins out.

Well in my opinion there are only two filler songs on Appetite, Anything Goes & Think About You.

I am hard pressed to think of any filler on Ten except for maybe Deep & or Garden. However I feel Appetite was more "revolutionary" than Ten. But that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,972
    http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/02/12/pear ... ebut-poll/

Pearl Jam Reign Supreme In 'Best Debut' Poll

On Thursday (February 11), the MTV Newsroom blog asked a question: Is Kanye West's The College Dropout (which came out six years ago this week) the best debut album of all time? It sparked a number of debates both in the newsroom and on the site. Did The College Dropout accomplish more for Kanye than Appetite for Destruction did for Guns N' Roses? Why was Nas' watershed Illmatic left off the list? How could we possibly include Hootie and the Blowfish?

When the poll numbers finally came in, there was one band who dominated above all others. Pearl Jam won hands down with 71 percent of the vote. While there was some obvious ballot stuffing care of the message board denizens at the Ten Club, the victory for Pearl Jam's debut album Ten is not without merit. As we said yesterday, Ten is a remarkable collection of instant classics that bridge the gap between a handful of sub-genres, and it still holds up today. While Kurt Cobain tends to get credit for re-arranging the mindsets of rock fans in the '90s, Pearl Jam's Ten was just as big a part of that revolution as anybody else.

As for the rest of the poll participants, West finished in a distant second place with 13 percent of the vote, followed by Oasis' Definitely Maybe with a somewhat surprising seven percent. Save for Britney Spears (who picked up four percent of the vote), nobody else cleared one percent, which is somewhat surprising. The most shockingly low score? Appetite for Destruction, Guns N' Roses' debut album that is largely thought of not only as a stellar debut but also one of the best rock records ever made. Like Ten, it literally has no low points, from the iconic opening riff of "Welcome to the Jungle" to the closing bass bounces of "Rocket Queen," it delivers power, precision and pop sensibilities in an extremely well-balanced package.

With any poll, there will always be complaints about omissions, and there were a handful of ideas that commenters brought up. The Cars' self-titled 1978 debut could have made a case for inclusion (it bridged the gap between punk and new wave, and of its nine songs, eight became genre staples). Many people also brought up the first album by the Doors, which is a strong debut but fantastically overrated (especially on the second side). And several people complained that Led Zeppelin's I should have been at the top of the list. But that band really didn't find its groove until II (which contained hits like "Whole Lotta Love" and "Moby Dick"), and while I is strong, there's an awful lot of meandering blues jams on that record. Still, it's got a great cover, which should count for something.

:D
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Pearl Jam won hands down with 71 percent of the vote. While there was some obvious ballot stuffing care of the message board denizens at the Ten Club, the victory for Pearl Jam's debut album Ten is not without merit.

• Options
    :D ..awesome.....
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Pearl Jam won hands down with 71 percent of the vote. While there was some obvious ballot stuffing care of the message board denizens at the Ten Club, the victory for Pearl Jam's debut album Ten is not without merit.

:clap:
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I never said who to vote for.....

You could have all thought someone else had the best dubut album...

:lol:

Nice article, Kyle...it was fun.

xo
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    I never said who to vote for.....
    u didnt have too...the hand couldnt clik anything else... :lol::lol: