Can McDonalds REALLY copyright the word BURGER? Come on.

13»

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Well I guess the problem is that the City of Vancouver gets the vote on the games.
    The entire province, including close surrounding areas of Vancouver, will be affected...
    Yep, and if the money goes out of the area, that would be a shame, but lots of money will come into the area, to the local people, just not exactly how they want it. The guy is still getting to sell his burgers. So, after all is said and done, in 4 years no one will care. I wish they would have more of the locals showing off their culture for me to learn, but it just isn't going to happen.[/quote]
    well, not really. I guess we'll have to see if money will come to those who deserve it. My guess? It probably won't go back into the best interests of the taxpayers... least of all the ones who don't live downtown
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Agreed, but that is an entire different issue. It is a big event, thus inviting big vendors (corporations). I agree that the Olympics didn't think this one through by these actions. Its quite crappy. The local area should be who is profiting from the event. I guess the area should had put their demands down before accepting being host.
    And copyright is hugely different than being exclusive at one event.
    Well I guess the problem is that the City of Vancouver gets the vote on the games.
    The entire province, including close surrounding areas of Vancouver, will be affected...

This is such a silly argument, my tax dollars, living in Richmond, are most likely going to things like for instance, the renos on the Port Mann Bridge. Do I then say "well, I dont drive over the PM bridge every day so why should I pay taxes to have it fixed?" Should they just expect people who use the Port Mann brdige to pay all the taxes to have it fixed?
    Yea I think there is a bit of a price difference between the Portman and the olympics...
  • haffajappa wrote:
    This is such a silly argument, my tax dollars, living in Richmond, are most likely going to things like for instance, the renos on the Port Mann Bridge. Do I then say "well, I dont drive over the PM bridge every day so why should I pay taxes to have it fixed?" Should they just expect people who use the Port Mann brdige to pay all the taxes to have it fixed?
    Yea I think there is a bit of a price difference between the Portman and the olympics...

You're obviously missing the point, I am not talking about dollar figures, I am talking about the self righteous"oh, it doesnt directly affect me at all so why should I pay for it" attitude.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    haffajappa wrote:

You're obviously missing the point, I am not talking about dollar figures, I am talking about the self righteous"oh, it doesnt directly affect me at all so why should I pay for it" attitude.
    its not that i have that attitude, its that its all broken promises and money that goes into what? the portman bridge is something that serves the fraser valley the same as VGH serves vancouver. I've got no problem tax money going to hospitals downtown or in prince george or in golden even... but I do have a problem with tax money going to a giant corporate circus that only will not benefit those who are left with the bill. If the Olympics make money do you honestly think that Campbell will put that back into health care or schools or arts or anything that he's done a number on in the past couple years? How is it that the athletes village can impress athletes with LCD tvs and playstations but a school has to choose between fixing a broken heater or employing 3 teachers?

and ps regardless of the fact Richmond benefits a lot from the games, you just moved there! :lol:
  • If there was no olympics, the tax dollars would still be siphoned away by the Campbell gov't and they would still not exist in transparency. Its not like, if we didn't have the Olympics they would be pouring all that money into homes for the poor, or health care etc, it would end up in their pocket regardless, the only difference? you wouldn't have a big magnified event, where it is easy to pinpoint how that money being spent on it, to bitch about. I just think all the bitching about money and what not really cheapens the fact there is decent human beings who take pride in competing in these things and train very hard to represent their country. Not to mention that they exist completely outside of all the political nonsense.

also, i have lived outside of Richmond for all of about 4 years of my life. besides, i was simply making the point that if i live somewhere my tax dollars are going somewhere other then that city.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    If there was no olympics, the tax dollars would still be siphoned away by the Campbell gov't and they would still not exist in transparency. Its not like, if we didn't have the Olympics they would be pouring all that money into homes for the poor, or health care etc, it would end up in their pocket regardless, the only difference? you wouldn't have a big magnified event, where it is easy to pinpoint how that money being spent on it, to bitch about. I just think all the bitching about money and what not really cheapens the fact there is decent human beings who take pride in competing in these things and train very hard to represent their country. Not to mention that they exist completely outside of all the political nonsense.

also, i have lived outside of Richmond for all of about 4 years of my life. besides, i was simply making the point that if i live somewhere my tax dollars are going somewhere other then that city.
    Yah as if its really about the athletes anymore :roll:
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Besides the intangible social/cultural benefits & future tourism boost, It seems like it is imposible for a city to avoid a net loss from hosting the Olympics.

I was around for the 1984 Los Angeles games, and even though the Eastern Block countries boycotted, the organizers realized millions in profit. They did this by mainly relying on existing venues & existing housing (At USC & UCLA). the only new venues were a velodrome at a local state college, a tennis center at UCLA, and an outdoor swim stadium at USC.

The current economic rollercoaster makes it nearly impossible to make a long-term commitment in terms of building new venues & housing.
  • haffajappa wrote:
    If there was no olympics, the tax dollars would still be siphoned away by the Campbell gov't and they would still not exist in transparency. Its not like, if we didn't have the Olympics they would be pouring all that money into homes for the poor, or health care etc, it would end up in their pocket regardless, the only difference? you wouldn't have a big magnified event, where it is easy to pinpoint how that money being spent on it, to bitch about. I just think all the bitching about money and what not really cheapens the fact there is decent human beings who take pride in competing in these things and train very hard to represent their country. Not to mention that they exist completely outside of all the political nonsense.

The 6,000 of them in the city who are competing don't matter at all?
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    haffajappa wrote:

The 6,000 of them in the city who are competing don't matter at all?
    obviously they MATTER.
    i dont think you understand the sentence.
  • no i get it.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    no i get it.