Can McDonalds REALLY copyright the word BURGER? Come on.

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Just another reason why the corporate circus that is the Olympics is starting to aggravate me even more:

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=2529371

VANCOUVER -- The chef at a First Nations food pavilion at the Winter Olympics says he had to rewrite his menu to purge the word "burger," after the McDonald's chain -- an Olympics sponsor -- objected.

Chef Andrew George, who created the menu for the Four Host First Nations' pavilion, said organizers had to rewrite one of the menu items -- a trio of bison burgers -- after a complaint from the Golden Arches.

"McDonald's is a big corporate sponsor at the Olympics and it turns out they were really touchy about us calling any food ‘burgers,'" says Mr. George, who has published a cookbook and is working on a TV show.

"So we're serving these three little bison patties that now we're calling sliders, or bannockwiches, with sauteed wild mushrooms and Saltspring Island goat cheese between bannock rounds."

There may be little similarity between the native chefs' bison sandwiches and a McDonald's quarter-pounder with cheese, but the Four Host First Nations chefs aren't picking a fight with the corporate food giant.

This is "the first time in history that indigenous peoples have been recognized by the IOC as official partners in the hosting of a Games," says the FHFN statement.

The Lil'wat, Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations, who share the traditional territory on which the Olympics are being held, entered a protocol agreement in 2004 to abide by all Olympic rules.

"McDonald's hasn't been in contact with the Four Host First Nations regarding this. Contact VANOC directly to discuss sponsorship," said McDonald's spokesman Chris Stannell.

VANOC's Bill Cooper, head of commercial rights management, said "there are a number of guidelines ... at all designated 2010 Games celebration sites, of which the FHFN pavilion is one."

Mr. Cooper noted that may include forbidding "certain brands or words that create special associations with our sponsors and their products."

That reflects sponsors' "significant commitment and investment," said Mr. Cooper.

Mr. George's 25 years as a trained chef, including stints with a top-flight European hotel chain, as well as his love of traditional native food lore, have made him ready for the world stage at the 2010 Olympics.

MR. George cooked at Expo 86, where aboriginal cuisine was a huge hit, and he went on to teach and excel at the 1992 German "culinary Olympics."

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html? ... z0fBrG6bj9
The National Post is now on Facebook. Join our fan community today.
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    While I agree McD's might be the biggest fast food chain in the world, burgers have been around a lot longer than they have. Are they going to copyright the word chicken next because they sell a couple of chicken sandwiches?

On another note, I'm not sure you would even call McDonalds burgers "burgers". They are pretty pathetic and not that great tasting compared to many other restaurants.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Yah, that's the whole point. They didn't invent it.. they didn't even make them bigger or better. If anything they made them worse!

Like I said on my facebook status, I'll start to wonder when will Samsung copyright the word PHONE and every telephone in the city will have to be called numerated talking machine... Or Coke with ice cubes. So stupid!!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,054
    White Castle may object to the term "Slider". Granted , not a sponser but .......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    has mcdonalds copyrighted 'volcanic diarrhea' too? type 2 diabetes?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    what a joke....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I hate McDonald's as much as the next person, but nowhere does that article mention that they are trying to copyright the word (since they're not). This is strictly an Olympics issue due to them paying an ungodly amount as a sponsor and not wanting anyone to think they can get a burger anywhere else. If they were truly being vigilant about this we would have heard about it before now, probably from their main competitor, BURGER King.

I mean it's still stupid, but keep things in perspective.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    McDonalds makes me take a shit everytime I eat there.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    edited February 2010
    I hate McDonald's as much as the next person, but nowhere does that article mention that they are trying to copyright the word (since they're not). This is strictly an Olympics issue due to them paying an ungodly amount as a sponsor and not wanting anyone to think they can get a burger anywhere else. If they were truly being vigilant about this we would have heard about it before now, probably from their main competitor, BURGER King.

I mean it's still stupid, but keep things in perspective.
    Ok they didn't copyright the word but they objected to it being used.

Almost as if VANOC wouldn't let you use the words Vancouver or 2010

oh wait........................
    Post edited by haffajappa on
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    McDonalds = "PUKE"... :lol:
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    For fucks sake.....McD's should get off thier high friggin horses....they don't OWN any right to the name burger, they didn't invent the burger, and they aren't the only damned company in the world to make burgers. Hell the burger dude they have targeted should get one of the aussie boxing kangaroo and aboriginal flags to stuff on top of burgers just to piss the dickheads in thier prissy little suits right the fark off.
    Phew.....and McD's sux anyway...the only good thing there is frozen coke..at least they can't try and fuck with that! :lol:
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    McDonalds are shit. But they're still better than KFC. The Chinese love KFC. They're really popular here. I hate KFC though. If you look inside the burgers you find bit's of jellied gristle or something, and if you peel the batter off the chicken you'll see bubbles of greasy fat. Truly disgusting.

I prefer McDonalds only because they do a better breakfast than the other chains. Though I try to avoid eating at any of these places.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    People are lucky these games aren't in cuba or else Coke would be up in arms.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I like Friendly's, Wendy's, and a place called Duchess. A lot better than McDonalds (yes I know Friendly's is a restaurant and shouldn't go on here, but to me, it's really good and better than McDonalds).
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Newch91 wrote:
    I like Friendly's, Wendy's, and a place called Duchess. A lot better than McDonalds (yes I know Friendly's is a restaurant and shouldn't go on here, but to me, it's really good and better than McDonalds).

I remember eating at a place called 'Ryans' in Florida. It was a buffet type place. Absolutely great value. You could eat as much as you wanted. There are also lot's of really good Mexican restaurants - including drive-thru's - in America, so It makes me wonder why anyone bothers eating McDonalds.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    burger king kicks mcdonald's ass.

they truly are the burger king.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    I can sort of see both sides of this. I mean yes Mcdonalds food is pretty bad, even in comparion to other fast food outlets. And the description of those bison burgers sounds really awesome and makes me hungry. But at the same time McD's probably spent a shit ton of money to get the rights to be the official food supplier for all Olympic venues. The obviously expect some sort of return on their investment, and would probably be pretty pissed off if after spending all that cash, the Olympics was allowing someone else to grab some of the cash they thought was theirs.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I can sort of see both sides of this. I mean yes Mcdonalds food is pretty bad, even in comparion to other fast food outlets. And the description of those bison burgers sounds really awesome and makes me hungry. But at the same time McD's probably spent a shit ton of money to get the rights to be the official food supplier for all Olympic venues. The obviously expect some sort of return on their investment, and would probably be pretty pissed off if after spending all that cash, the Olympics was allowing someone else to grab some of the cash they thought was theirs.

they aren't official food suppliers ... they are just a corporate sponsor ... can you imagine all these Athletes training all their lives avoiding shitty food like mcd's and then they get to the olympics and they actually have to eat it??

this has nothing to do with getting a return on investment ... it has everything to do with the fact the olympics is a corporate whorefest ... all the coporations have more power than the local gov'ts now ...

on another note - i love how they keep referring to each games as the "greenest" ever ... they put brand new LCD's and DVD players in the rooms, lots of volunteers are getting new temporary cell phones, everything is brand spanking new ... what a load of crock ...

having said that - i hope canada wins gold in hockey! ... :mrgreen:
  • polaris_x wrote:

they aren't official food suppliers ... they are just a corporate sponsor ... can you imagine all these Athletes training all their lives avoiding shitty food like mcd's and then they get to the olympics and they actually have to eat it??

Not an official food supplier, but as a huge corporate sponsor, I'm sure they have protection from competition ( as silly as that sounds in this case)... I'm guessing that these vendors can't sell Pepsi products or a local soft drink with Coke being such a huge sponsor.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Not an official food supplier, but as a huge corporate sponsor, I'm sure they have protection from competition ( as silly as that sounds in this case)... I'm guessing that these vendors can't sell Pepsi products or a local soft drink with Coke being such a huge sponsor.

dude ... the chef has every right to cook the meal he is cooking and for who he's cooking for ... he's had to change the naming on the menu because mcdicks doesn't want anyone putting "burger" on the menu ... it's still the same food - he just had to call it something else ... how is this remotely justifiable?
    polaris_x wrote:
    this has nothing to do with getting a return on investment ... it has everything to do with the fact the olympics is a corporate whorefest ... all the coporations have more power than the local gov'ts now ...

Of course the Olympics is a corporate whorefest. When has it not been a corporate whorefest. I mean people always complain every Olympics about how they are too corporate, but they have been that way at least as long as I can remember. Plus the olympics costs a ton of money to put, and you can't just do it with goodwill and happy thoughts, you need cash, lots of cash.
    Of course the Olympics is a corporate whorefest. When has it not been a corporate whorefest. I mean people always complain every Olympics about how they are too corporate, but they have been that way at least as long as I can remember. Plus the olympics costs a ton of money to put, and you can't just do it with goodwill and happy thoughts, you need cash, lots of cash.

it's called taxpayers ...
  • polaris_x wrote:

And imagine the burden on the taxpayers if it wasn't for the billion + corporate dollars coming in.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    And imagine the burden on the taxpayers if it wasn't for the billion + corporate dollars coming in.

uhhh ... you don't think all these corporate sponsors aren't making money on these games? ... the ONLY people that aren't getting a return on their investment is the taxpayer ... taxpayers subsidize these games so corporate giants can benefit the most ...

in any case - do either of you still think its reasonable for mcdonalds to make the chef change bison burgers to bison sliders?
    polaris_x wrote:

Exactly. I mean complaining that the Olympics has corporate sponsorship is like complaining that NASCAR has corporate sponsorship. I am not sure that either could operate without it.
    Exactly. I mean complaining that the Olympics has corporate sponsorship is like complaining that NASCAR has corporate sponsorship. I am not sure that either could operate without it.

you are missing the point also ... it's not that these games have corporate sponsorships that i am against ... but again - that is another topic ...

do you still think it's reasonable that they should make this chef change his wording on his menu?
    polaris_x wrote:

uhhh ... you don't think all these corporate sponsors aren't making money on these games? ... the ONLY people that aren't getting a return on their investment is the taxpayer ... taxpayers subsidize these games so corporate giants can benefit the most ...

I believe the logic is that the corporate sponsors do things like employ people, pay taxes and make investments in communities. Sure they make money off the games but it is not like the revenue McDonald's gets from them all goes to one guy and he keeps it in a giant Scrooge McDuck style money bin.
    polaris_x wrote:
    do you still think it's reasonable that they should make this chef change his wording on his menu?

??
    polaris_x wrote:

you are missing the point also ... it's not that these games have corporate sponsorships that i am against ... but again - that is another topic ...

I don't think it is totally unreasonable. I mean he is serving his food at an official olympic venue. If he wants to call it a burger, he can open his own restaurant, or find one that will let him call the dish a bison burger. Odds are that the money McDonald's put up helped pay for the venue he is working in, so I think it is fair for them to ask that they get a little bit of protection for their money.

The alternate quesiton is this. How much money do you think McDonald's put up to be a worldwide sponsor of the games? I would be it would easily be in the tens of millions. What exactly do you think they should get for that money?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    someone told me recently that they copyrighted the "da da dun de da I'm lovin it" jingle... i await the day they steal my Punch in the Fudd™ catchphrase... then i'll McSue the McFuckers!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    I don't think it is totally unreasonable. I mean he is serving his food at an official olympic venue. If he wants to call it a burger, he can open his own restaurant, or find one that will let him call the dish a bison burger. Odds are that the money McDonald's put up helped pay for the venue he is working in, so I think it is fair for them to ask that they get a little bit of protection for their money.

The alternate quesiton is this. How much money do you think McDonald's put up to be a worldwide sponsor of the games? I would be it would easily be in the tens of millions. What exactly do you think they should get for that money?

really? ... even if they helped pay for the venue (which i highly doubt) ... they didn't invent the hamburger ... how are they losing out one iota by having this chef call his dish bison burgers instead of bison sliders!?? ...

i would guess it's more money than that ... what they get is exclusive concessionary rights at many olympic venues ... where they sell their "food" at inflated prices ... they also get marketing and brand awareness ... do you think a corporation like mcdonalds is gonna take a loss? ... but in the end - it is compeletely irrelevant if you believe that having a chef call his bison burgers is gonna impact mcdonalds profit at the games ... that is absurd to me ... although i have yet to hear a reasonable explanation - so, be it if you think they are hurt by someone calling their food burgers ...