HOARDERS

2»

Comments

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    FirstExit wrote:
    This show is pathetic. Don't say they have OCD or anything. I know people that have been diagnosed with OCD and NONE of them are hoarders. Here's a simple solution...

THROW SHIT OUT

You don't know these people (on the show), do you?

Lots of people are diagnosed with autism, for example, but they don't all act the same way. Not everyone diagnosed with OCD acts the same way and has the same symptoms and whatnot.

I've never seen the show, it doesn't air here as far as I know.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    It may be laziness for some, but when you watch that show, or know people like that, even when they are getting help thay can't part with their stuff. Then its no longer laziness.
    I know some people save stuff and then it can become overwhelming to clean the stuff out, but to have help and emotionally be so tied to the junk is a different story.
    My dad is 92, so went throught the depression. He was kind of a pack rat. As a kid, I thought he was real bad, but now that I have seen the real bad ones, he wasn't that bad. He is still alive, just doesn't realize his "stuff" is gone. My mom slowly got rid of it, but even I wish she hadn't. He had stuff from WWII, stuff from all over the world. Stuff from his mother, who was born in 1880's. That stuff would let me retire. Anyway, its gone.
    The worse show I saw was the one when they found dead cats under the stuff. It was sick!

Have any of you ever seen George Carlin's bit about "stuff". Its funny.

BTW, I have trouble throwing clothes out. I can throw anything else away, except clothes and pictures. I do finally throw the clothes out, but its a huge deal for me. I always think I will get something that will go great with something I am throwing out, etc. I have clothes right now I need to throw out...it is very time consuming, because I go through this whole thing in my head with each item about whether it should stay or go.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Lizard wrote:
    I have watched that show. It is craziness and sadness all rolled up. The worst was a lady that did not have a shower or toilet for over a year (maybe 2) and wore depends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to tie herself on her chair in her kitchen so she would not fall and get stuck in her stuff--which eventually did happen.

Damn.
    i saw that one, that was horrible. and the one with the pumpkin seeds.

it is a disease for sure, when you watch the organizers go thru and the therapist talks with these folks, the reasons start to come out. some traumatic experience that manifests itself in that way, hanging onto things to fill some void. just like some people have their other vices like drinking or drugs, that's how they choose to deal with it. it's sad and scary. i think one of my neighbors may be a hoarder, she's been sleeping in her car for the past 2-3 years. we as neighbors have tried approaching her but she won't say what's up :(

i get into a cleaning fit every time i see it, even if i just cleaned! lol
    Lizard wrote:
    I have watched that show. It is craziness and sadness all rolled up. The worst was a lady that did not have a shower or toilet for over a year (maybe 2) and wore depends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to tie herself on her chair in her kitchen so she would not fall and get stuck in her stuff--which eventually did happen.

Damn.

it is a disease for sure, when you watch the organizers go thru and the therapist talks with these folks, the reasons start to come out. some traumatic experience that manifests itself in that way, hanging onto things to fill some void. just like some people have their other vices like drinking or drugs, that's how they choose to deal with it. it's sad and scary. i think one of my neighbors may be a hoarder, she's been sleeping in her car for the past 2-3 years. we as neighbors have tried approaching her but she won't say what's up :(

OMG! It does sound like your neighbor may be one and its bad. Like is there enough bedrooms for everyone, or has he filled her bedroom up? Wow, I bet she has.
    Thats a huge danger to not only her, but her direct neighbors too! Fire hazard. The lady next to me has filled one bedroom to the ceiling with junk, and that room is next to my house. I worry about it catching fire. She knows it too. She has called it a fire hazard!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • Heatherj43 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

Damn.

OMG! It does sound like your neighbor may be one and its bad. Like is there enough bedrooms for everyone, or has he filled her bedroom up? Wow, I bet she has.
    Thats a huge danger to not only her, but her direct neighbors too! Fire hazard. The lady next to me has filled one bedroom to the ceiling with junk, and that room is next to my house. I worry about it catching fire. She knows it too. She has called it a fire hazard!!
    yeah, we've all been reticent about telling the landlady just cuz i dunno what would happen, if she would retaliate if she found out who said it. i think i'll have to talk to her though, it's been going on long enough. i'm guessing she's filled her apartment up with so much stuff she has no place to even lay down. she has a ton of stuff in the backseat of her car, and will sleep in the front seat with a blanket draped over her, or slumped under the steering wheel :shock: it's freaky. and when we had a cold snap a while ago, i couldn't help but wonder how she could manage. all any of us could get out of her was that her dad was sick, like she had to be able to leave in a hurry or something. but it's like there's only 2 flights of stairs to the garage!

it's disturbing, short of telling the landlady, i dunno what else to do :(
    I know. If you tell, she could get evicted. Its a tough decision.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Heatherj43 wrote:
    yeah it's like i don't want to get her into trouble, but then what sort of trouble is she already in if she's paying rent for an apartment but sleeping in her car? i've seen her in a parking lot at the shopping center nearby at night, and she was curled up in it there too, so she doesn't just do it at our garage.
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    yeah it's like i don't want to get her into trouble, but then what sort of trouble is she already in if she's paying rent for an apartment but sleeping in her car? i've seen her in a parking lot at the shopping center nearby at night, and she was curled up in it there too, so she doesn't just do it at our garage.
    I think she needs help bad and telling the landlord would be the first step.
    Save room for dessert!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Lizard wrote:

Damn.

I just saw this show for the first time the other day but you may have a candidate for the show right there. I wonder how do they get their candidates for the show but I'm sure they have plenty of people to fill out a season for the show. Some of the people are so bad i can't watch because it's so depressing.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

I'm getting more and more hooked on this show. Its become so bad that I haven't cleaned in a while...lol!
    I call it avoidance at this point.
    Save room for dessert!
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    the shows where they find all the dead cats are really sad. :(

my mom knew of some people who hoarded when she lived in Japan, going through tough times they kept everything because they were poor and then it became a habit. One lady died because a fire started and she couldn't get out of her house.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • just tinajust tina Posts: 277
    I just don't see how you can let someone get like that... Granted, some of these people are on their own, but most of them (on the show) have children or a spouse or whatever that is normal. You'd think they'd get them help before it gets to the point where you can't even walk through the house.
    it's insane! quite a few of them had their kids taken away or sent to live elsewhere because of the hoarding situation. i was disgusted to see the clean up crew find a dead cat under all of the debris in one home. the woman didn't even know the cat was there! how can it get that bad? it must be a disease, a mental issue...there has to be a reason people feel the need to hold on to so much. saving things for sentimental reasons is one thing or stocking up after a good sale, maybe...but to this extent? outrageous. so sad, really.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I recently saw a show that was about a woman that was an expert on getting groceries for free and she's a coupon queen. well....I'd say she has a clean version of the hoarding illness b/c her whole closet was filled with toilet paper that she bought on special. that's not normal.

i don't know if i have the hoarding disease but i do have trouble parting with stuff but not clothes.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    sometimes i have that fear that if i throw something out i'm going to need it hte minute its gone... something like my luck always turns out that way haha...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've learned to not buy stuff i don't need. works out pretty good.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    iluvcats wrote:
    I recently saw a show that was about a woman that was an expert on getting groceries for free and she's a coupon queen. well....I'd say she has a clean version of the hoarding illness b/c her whole closet was filled with toilet paper that she bought on special. that's not normal.

i don't know if i have the hoarding disease but i do have trouble parting with stuff but not clothes.

I think ALL OF US have a bit of hoardness within us, it's just that most of us can control it when we choose to. Unlike those who are diseased with this disorder who need therapy treatment to get pass the thought of throwing out something that's not needed.

I have some difficulty throwing out cd's I don't listen to anymore. I've weened those out but yet to pull the plug and dump them in thrash. I always figure someone else might want to listen to this stuff....antbody still listen to.....Warrior Soul...Tone Loc...Young MC...Wrathchild America...WINGER....Unorthodox...Saigon Kick...
    Saraya..Mighty Lemon Drops...Midge Ure...Bonham (Jason)...The Call... and...Enuff Znuff etc

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I'm intruiged by this cos I think I have potential to be a hoarder if I didn't like living in a clean house.

I really don't like throwing stuff out. I have no problems throwing out clothes (to charity) or shoes (well worn, into the bin), but I do hold onto concert tickets, stuff from first nights out, stuff I stole on a really great drunken night out, presents I don't really like or will never use but I have a sentimental attachment to them...

I can't stop buying eyeshadow though, I think that'll take over my life :lol:
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I must admit to being a bit of a hoarder (though nothing like in the original post!). I'm always thinking there will be a use to something and I can recycle it some way or the other (not in the recycling bin obviously!). Especially stuff that can be used in arts and crafts, etc. :oops:
    I think I am becoming a hoarder. Maybe that is why the show interests me so much. I walked in my house today, after being gone for a while, and was in shock.
    I have to do something NOW! OMG!
    I know why I keep stuff. Some is sentimental from raising kids and my grandkids. I keep lots of clothes, cuz I love them and don't have tons of money to buy new. That is why I keep most of the stuff I do, money!
    But, I have the reciepts for every bill I have had for the last 10 years. I am always afraid someone will want a copy for some odd reason, like the IRS. I have had them want some from 5 years past and its hard to get them if you don't save them. I also have calenders for the last 10 years. It lists every appointment I have had all that time.
    The clothes are the worse. I am turning one of my spare bedrooms into a walk in closet. I just need to do it and quick!! Then I need to sort though all the bill stuff. Then, the make up and stuff like that. Oh yeah, I also have all kinds of phone books, like Yellow Pages. Around here they give ones for all the diffeent areas. But, I need one for each area.

Oh crap, I am a hoarder...help I am drowning. LOL! Tomorrow is ground zero day!
    Save room for dessert!
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    My wife and I watch that show all the time. We actually have someone in our family who is like this.

Anyway, we watched one episode last year and it was a young kid, maybe 20-23 years old. He knew that it was insane to live like this but he couldn't figure out why he would. He had a dog and it shed its hair. He wouldn't clean the dog hair because he thought his dog would die if he did. It was pretty hard to watch, there is something def wrong with these people. There has to be a reason for it and it can't be laziness.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,692
    It's called laziness.

My thoughts exactly. From the first time I seen the show thats what I thought. You don't hoard garbage, you throw it out. It boils down to complete laziness and being a F*CKING SLOB. If I ever went to one of these houses to meet one of these freaks, boy would I let them have it.
    To me its society's way of giving people an excuse for being lazy and calling it a disease.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    BLACK35 wrote:
    It's called laziness.

My thoughts exactly. From the first time I seen the show thats what I thought. You don't hoard garbage, you throw it out. It boils down to complete laziness and being a F*CKING SLOB. If I ever went to one of these houses to meet one of these freaks, boy would I let them have it.
    To me its society's way of giving people an excuse for being lazy and calling it a disease.

Do you think by letting them have it somehow that will solve the problem? I think it took some work to gather all that stuff too, so laziness maybe part of the problem but it goes much further than that. You could throughtout all their their in one day but within a week they would TRY and gather most if not all of their stuff back.

It is a problem that needs to be treated along with pointing out how this problem is affecting their lives along with others.

peace

• BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,692
    g under p wrote:
    BLACK35 wrote:
    It's called laziness.

Do you think by letting them have it somehow that will solve the problem? I think it took some work to gather all that stuff too, so laziness maybe part of the problem but it goes much further than that. You could throughtout all their their in one day but within a week they would TRY and gather most if not all of their stuff back.

It is a problem that needs to be treated along with pointing out how this problem is affecting their lives along with others.

peace

I just think society is giving these people excuses, thats all. Anyone that leaves food around to rot, or doesn't pick up the feces after their pets and calls it Hoarding. Thats just LAZY. If you have a shopping problem and the stuff you purchase piles up, thats Hoarding. I don't know too many people that collect human or pet feces.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    This show is getting grosser and grosser. I cannot believe these people give the people who try and help them such resistance. There are dead animals under the trash. It is so gross!!
    I just don't get it?? And I'm a social worker who had a dad who was a hoarder, but no where near that extent.
    After watching these shows, my dad was actually clean!!!!
    Save room for dessert!