HOARDERS

g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anybody seen this show on A&E Hoarders or even know of one?

Hoarders on A&E

I knew of one in my ex in-law in New Jersey. My daughter and I went up there to stay 2 nights and I couldn't believe what I saw. I was warned but we literally had a body size walkway through the house to get around. There was only one place to sit in the house other than the bathroom. My 3 year old at the time thought this place was a dream with all this stuff to play with not including the garage that was so packed with stuff the door couldn't be opened.

When she moved it took a week to moved all the things out and it took 3 U-Haultruck loads of food which was given away to the local food bank.

Do you know anybody out there like this, it's a seriuos illness?

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 15-20 years ago I used to deliver and install appliances....Full kitchens, washers, dryers, etc.....

You would be surprised how many Pack rats there are in this world....

Their houses were literally a maze.....Just filled with junk, stacked to the ceiling......

Strange people.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Oh on the ex-inlaw she would have us buy things in bulk and my sister would pack her mini-van and drive it all up until I realized she never used this stuff. She just collected it and the thing she had the most of was I think was cases and cases of Gold Bond Medicated foot power.

Yes you're right Pack Rats is the other name they are called and it is so dangerous way of living that way not only for herself but for her neighbors too.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    it helps the economy, right?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I guess there was a thing last week that Lindsay Lohan did where they went into her house and discovered she was a hoarder. Two bedrooms of just shoes.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    After my mom died we found a lot of stuff in her house - a dozen boxes of tin foil, some bags filled with junk mail, some old TV Guides, etc.

Wow, then you watch HOARDERS - it's hard to imagine people living like that. There was one with a woman and her daughter and every room was filled with shit and the woman basically was living on a sofa. I guess with the daughter. They'd sleep and eat their meals there. So sad.
    Enkidu wrote:
    After my mom died we found a lot of stuff in her house - a dozen boxes of tin foil, some bags filled with junk mail, some old TV Guides, etc.

Wow, then you watch HOARDERS - it's hard to imagine people living like that. There was one with a woman and her daughter and every room was filled with shit and the woman basically was living on a sofa. I guess with the daughter. They'd sleep and eat their meals there. So sad.

I watched that one and it was so sad and worse how troubling this disease is. It shows how hard it is for these people to part with ALL the things they collect to give them up. Even faced with eviction or a quality life for their own children, some of it is very hard to watch.

However I've seen it for myself and I couldn't believe what I was seeing in my ex in-laws house, incredible.

Peace

• I just don't see how you can let someone get like that... Granted, some of these people are on their own, but most of them (on the show) have children or a spouse or whatever that is normal. You'd think they'd get them help before it gets to the point where you can't even walk through the house.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • It's called laziness.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    15-20 years ago I used to deliver and install appliances....Full kitchens, washers, dryers, etc.....

You would be surprised how many Pack rats there are in this world....

Their houses were literally a maze.....Just filled with junk, stacked to the ceiling......

Strange people.....

Yikes.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    When I think of hoarders, I can't help but think about matches and gasoline.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i knew of a hoarding family.
    my brothers and i were friend with this dude.
    his parent's house was fucking bad off.
    trails/walkways through the house.
    it was unreal.

once my brothers and other friends helped them clean house.
    one of my brothers found a sack with a watch in it and the reciept.
    it was never worn, never taken out of the sack.
    according to the reciept it was something like 15 years old all hidden away and buried in bullshit.

i've done acid over @ this dude's house.
    not good...
    his mom scared the living shit out of me.
    no teeth with her old lady night gown on and me wanting to be super mario brothers so i could jump/crash thru the fucking basement wall....
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • It's called laziness.
    I disagree...

With some people it is a disease....

I would walk into peoples houses, and they had everything stacked to the ceiling, with just enough space to pass through from room to room.

It is definitely more than just being lazy. These people had some type of strange fucking disease.....

I believe the disease is called..."Fucking Weirdos" hehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Know someone who works on this show. And she is a just a terrible, terrible, God awful person. That's right - God has been brought into this.... :mrgreen:
    It's called laziness.
    I disagree...

I would walk into peoples houses, and they had everything stacked to the ceiling, with just enough space to pass through from room to room.

It is definitely more than just being lazy. These people had some type of strange fucking disease.....

and then you wanna get really fuckin screwed up??
    add about 5-12 cats, 3 dogs, and a goldfish tank with all the sides growing over with algae..
    classy....

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I have watched that show. It is craziness and sadness all rolled up. The worst was a lady that did not have a shower or toilet for over a year (maybe 2) and wore depends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to tie herself on her chair in her kitchen so she would not fall and get stuck in her stuff--which eventually did happen.

Damn.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Thereau said (maybe Whitman) that once a year we should take everything from our house that we haven't used in a year and burn it. I am beginning to see why.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I am horrible when it comes to clothes, but it's not to the point where it's disgusting, and I've gone through everything, and have thrown away a lot just within the past year. Maybe a little too much!!! ;):mrgreen:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • It's called laziness.
    I disagree...

How about we combine and just say it's...."Fucking Lazy". :D That's my diagnosis.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • lettinggo wrote:
    Thereau said (maybe Whitman) that once a year we should take everything from our house that we haven't used in a year and burn it. I am beginning to see why.

That was my favorite part of moving every few years... I would get rid of so much shit. Now we bought a house last year, so we are going to be in one place for a while. We've been pretty good at rounding up crap every six months or so and donating/selling/pitching it, but I can see how fast you can accumulate shit.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I guess there was a thing last week that Lindsay Lohan did where they went into her house and discovered she was a hoarder. Two bedrooms of just shoes.

That's not hoarding that's heaven. :mrgreen:
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    It's called laziness.
    I disagree...

It's far from laziness, it's a compulsive disorder. In some of these cases it took hard work to gather up all these possessions. You could go into these homes and remove every excessive item and over time they would gather up just about everything that was taken away. The hardest part in watching that show(Hoarders) is how HARD it is for these people to part with these excessive items they have collected. Things that we would consider to be trash they look at it as treasure.

Here's something that will give a better understanding on this disease~Obcessive Compulsive Disease (OCD)...

"Saving the World" By Fred Penzel, Ph.D.

Typical symptoms of compulsive hoarding could include any or several of the following:

- Saving broken, irreparable, or useless things

- Buying excessive quantities of goods beyond the amount needed for reasonable

usage

- Purchasing large amounts of useful items and storing them away for future usage, but

never using them

- Retrieving numerous materials from the trash on a regular basis

- Having difficulty discarding anything due to a fear of accidentally throwing out

something important

- Saving excessive quantities of printed matter (newspapers, magazines, junk mail,

etc.)

- Making and keeping extensive lists or records of certain things, even after they are no

longer needed

- Saving large amounts of certain items for possible use by others or for future

recycling

Intro To Treating OCD

Peace

• WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Must be me and my insurance geek mind.... ;)

All I can think of is: excessive fuel load; fire hazard; blocked means of entrance and egress.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    edited February 2010
    I watch Hoarders regularly, despite the fact that I always feel like throwing up while I watch it. I will never understand how people live like that and it fascinates me when a hoarder claims they have no clue how things reached such a level of disorder and filth...as if it happened while they were sleeping and they woke up in hell. I think hoarding is definitely a mental illness, but I also think laziness plays a role in many cases. 95% of the people on the show demonstrate strong lack of regard for their own physical appearance, so they certainly are not going to be concerned with the shape of their home. Hoarding goes far beyond collecting things; these people do not clean any area of their homes to the point of having decayed food, garbage, and animal carcasses lying around. It's sad for the kids whose parents subject them to such a disgusting environment; they do not deserve to live that way. I feel bad for people with the illness of hoarding to a point. Some of the people on the show have been warned that their children would be taken away if they didn't pull it together, yet they continued on and then were surprised when their children were removed from the "home". I think hoarding involves a level of selfishness with attachments invested more in the junk and rather than the people who love them.
    Post edited by vmfury on
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    A friend of mine does organizing for people and sometimes has to deal with hoarders - lots of people she says have dealt with the loss of someone, like a parent or a husband and that's how it can get triggered. Like being unable to throw away the dead person's clothes. Or anything that reminds them of that person. Watching the show you see people attached to things most of us would say, "Hunh? Just throw that away." But they can't.
  • It's called laziness.

How insightful. :roll:
  • That show is amazing to watch. I am shocked to see how much of a problem it is. My neighbor downstairs is so bad, workmen can not get in to do things.
    how would a dude invite over a lady friend with a house full of junk and stupid shit?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Know someone who works on this show. And she is a just a terrible, terrible, God awful person. That's right - God has been brought into this.... :mrgreen:
    I'll tell her to read this. You'll be in trouble! :lol::mrgreen:
    NERDS!
  • This show is pathetic. Don't say they have OCD or anything. I know people that have been diagnosed with OCD and NONE of them are hoarders. Here's a simple solution...

THROW SHIT OUT
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    I love that show. Makes me feel so much better about my house. :lol:

I confess I hoard fabric. I do actually sew, but I have enough fabric to sew for all my kids and my kids kids for the rest of their lives. And my sewing room is scary. Any flat surface has fabric, patterns, all kinds of sewing stuff everywhere.

Everything else I am fine with, Just not fabric.

It is a sickness. Did anyone see the woman picking seeds out of the rotten pumpkin???? And the old disgusting food she was trying to justify saving???? I admit if I was helping I would be so tempted to just pitch all the crap. Then having to sort through every single little thing would drive me insane.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy